Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

General News & Media Mentions

warqueen

[2135]Feb 10, 2014
    • level: 5

warqueen wrote:

warqueen wrote:

Here is Seth Meyers's final appearance on Late Night With Jimmy Fallon on January 28; which marked the official passing of the pickle...errr baton of the "Late Night" franchise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdolpQ7XPXA

what made this extra special was not only did they show the first time Seth made his appearance on Weekend Update from Nov. 3, 2001, (Jimmy looked so different super weird) but photos on how they both completely looked different from the dress rehearsal to the live on air that same 2001 show Also great stories about the SNL after parties (and after-after) parties with Tracy and Horatio.

here is part 2 of the Seth-Jimmy interview, with the pickle: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXwqWqfRu0I

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

warqueen

[2136]Feb 10, 2014

Embarrassing news for Chris Kattan. Somewhere Tracy Morgan is laughing:

http://www.upi.com/Entertainment_News/TV/2014/02/10/Chris-Kattan-arrested-for-alleged-DUI/UPI-12091392051358/

mrjimmyjames

[2137]Feb 10, 2014
    • level: 7

I'm completely stunned that Fred would become Seth's new band leader. With his background in music and comedy, I think it will be great but I can't help but think that it's beneath him. With all of the talent the guy has I can't help but think his success on Portlandia could possibly turn him into a movie star. After all he's had plenty of film credits already in his career. I feel like this could end up being a temporary move until bigger things happen.

It's very strange to me to see a cast member in current pursuit of a career in comedy turn around and lead a late night talk show band. You could say Paul Shafer but he really wasn't that much of a cast member.

Ruckhappy

[2138]Feb 11, 2014
    • level: 8

Seth and Fred probably have an understanding that it's an interim gig for Fred. Fred doesn't really have that much going on career-wise except for Portlandia. Seth gets a familiar face with whom he can work who knows life comedy, and Fred gets to keep his face on camera while he's looking for a bigger break.

The biggest issue is that, despite his Trenchmouth years, Fred doesn't really have that much experience as a professional musician. But a late late show doesn't really need a band anyway (e.g. Ferguson's show).

Ruckhappy

[2139]Feb 11, 2014

In my experience it's always the insecure dykes who rag on other lesbians who choose to dress femme. In term of her actual life orientation, I believe that Kate is supposed to have been in a LTR with another woman for years. So has Sarah Paulson. A series of LTR's with women, so how do you accuse Paulson of bi backsliding just because she glams up for the red carpets?

As to appearance, I note that when she was on The Big Gay Sketch Show, Kate, when appearing as herself in intros or PR stills, did dress more butch than she does on SNL. To a degree, though, that can be seen as conforming to the requirements of the trade. All the SNL girls glam it up for the goodnights even as most of the guys schlub out in jeans and rumpled shirts. Pretty girls get cast more, even for comedy roles, so it's just career self-interest for them to look their (conventional) best.

It did catch my attention when she came out for the goodnights one time dressed in a semi-sheer, very tight dress under which it was obvious that he wasn't wearing a bra. I arched an eyebrow about that, but whose to say that she wasn't hotting up her look as a private vamp to her own honey at home?

warqueen

[2140]Feb 12, 2014

[QUOTE=" So has Sarah Paulson. A series of LTR's with women, so how do you accuse Paulson of bi backsliding just because she glams up for the red carpets?

Actually what you made not know about Sarah Paulson is that in an video interview last year, Paulson stated that she only ever dated men before her relationship with actress Cherry Jones from 2004 to 2009, and that she has not been in a relationship since her breakup with Jones, but that she is open to relationships with women and men going forward. She said this all about because of gossip site rumors that she was secretly involved with Jessica Lange while filming American Horror Story, which she candidly denied she was not 'boffing' Lange.

http://www.broadway.com/videos/154682/talleys-folly-star-sarah-paulson-on-not-starring-in-annie-not-playing-kristin-chenoweth-and-not-boffing-jessica-lange/

So you could say Paulson pulled a lower level Anne Heche move.

She restated the part about being single for a long time now last week on Craig Ferguson, which the interview ended being a very ronchy appearance, with her doing male masturbation gestures that had to be blurred out and other kinky stuff between her and Ferguson.

By the way watch Kate's interview with Jimmy and then watch Paulson with Ferguson; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1UHZD9VIgk

Sarah looks like Kate and even behaves and acting persona with similar mannerisms like Kate. Both interviews end up eerily blended in the same tone.

warqueen

[2141]Feb 12, 2014

Vanessa Bayer was on Conan Monday very funny interview:

http://teamcoco.com/video/full-episode-mon-2-10-martin-scorsese-vanessa-bayer-and-musical-guests-rock-candy-funk-party (click the video player dial to the fifth bar segment, the interview starts at the 29:47 mark).

Ruckhappy

[2142]Feb 12, 2014

warqueen wrote:
    Actually what you made not know about Sarah Paulson is that in an video interview last year, Paulson stated that she only ever dated men before her relationship with actress Cherry Jones from 2004 to 2009, and that she has not been in a relationship since her breakup with Jones, but that she is open to relationships with women and men going forward.

Huh, I swear I read something quoting her about dating women in college. I dunno, gender orientation politics are such a minefield, especially in the performing arts. I dated a lesbian who still insisted on self-identifying as such after she was sleeping with me, which was a little weird.

Kate strikes me, to the extent one can suss without knowing her personally, as a woman way over on the same-sex end of the Kinsey scale, and I'd hate to see her being intimidated away from playing hetero characters for fear of being accused of bi backsliding. She is so hilarious at playing slutty women!

warqueen

[2143]Feb 12, 2014

Seth Meyers' first week of 'Late Night' guests have been announced:

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/02/12/late-night-with-seth-meyers-joe-biden-kanye-west/

Monday, Feb. 24: Amy Poehler, Vice President Joe Biden, and musical guest A Great Big World

Tuesday, Feb. 25: Kanye West, author Robyn Doolittle

Wednesday, Feb. 26: Kelly Ripa, Brad Paisley, and musical guest Brad Paisley.

Thursday, Feb. 27: Lena Dunham, Anthony Mackie, and musical guest John Mayer Trio.

Friday, Feb. 28: Ian McKellen & Patrick Stewart, Sophia Bush, and Michael Che.

Edited on 02/12/2014 6:03pm
    Edited 2 total times.

warqueen

[2144]Feb 12, 2014

Well apparently the FOX network is assembling an army of TV shows with ex-SNL cast members and writers:

Fox orders Will Forte comedy series 'Last Man on Earth'

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/02/12/will-forte-last-man-on-earth/

Ruckhappy

[2145]Feb 12, 2014

warqueen wrote:
    ...and Michael Che.

Now there's an interesting pick for his first week of guests. Seth must have really come to respect Che from writing together on SNL.

warqueen

[2146]Feb 13, 2014

Wow! Talk about a ironic twist of fate. Both Sarah Paulson and Seth Meyers appeared together last night on What What Happens Live with Andy Cohen on Bravo, where I learned that they starred with scenes together in the same film 'New Years Eve" a few years ago:

http://www.bravotv.com/watch-what-happens-live/season-11/sarah-paulson-seth-meyers & http://www.bravotv.com/watch-what-happens-live/videos

Sarah Paulson & Seth Meyers

avmon

[2147]Feb 13, 2014
    • level: 16
    I just found out Jim Parsons of "The Big Bang Theory" will host the next show on March 1. As a "BBT" fan, I'm very stoked!

HelloStuart

[2148]Feb 13, 2014
    • level: 63
    warqueen wrote:

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/02/12/late-night-with-seth-meyers-joe-biden-kanye-west/

Monday, Feb. 24: Amy Poehler, Vice President Joe Biden, and musical guest A Great Big World

Hold up: the second most powerful man in the free world is second fiddle to Leslie Knope?

Hennes81

[2149]Feb 14, 2014

HelloStuart wrote:
    Hold up: the second most powerful man in the free world is second fiddle to Leslie Knope?

She is the most powerful comedy actor on NBC. Not just the 2nd.Laughing

Also, if you rank Biden so high in international power, I guess the American self-confidence is doing fine.Wink

warqueen

[2150]Feb 14, 2014

With Seth's departure he was the oldest cast member currently at age 39; that now belongs to Paul O'Brien who is age 37. However that designation may not last too long, as the knives have come out for him from male (and some female) fans of the show now that it is publicly known that he is dating Cecily, which this week probably meant his bank account got a lot lighter, as not only today is Valentines Day, but Cecily's 30th birthday just passed on Feb. 8.

Seth's most memorable non-Weekend Update sketch (to me) was when in October 2004 when he played Osama Bin Laden in that infamous video in which he spoofed as Osama ragging on the Ashlee Simpson lip-sync incident from the show the previous week.

Hennes81

[2151]Feb 14, 2014

We all have seen multiple "Best sketches in SNL history" lists. I gave up on a lot of them because they were lazy written and never got anything new to me.

I found this Top 50 list on rollingstone.com and since I liked it, you could also enjoy it.

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/pictures/50-greatest-saturday-night-live-sketches-of-all-time-20140203

The sketch selection isn't perfect (but of course that's impossible anyway), but there are some interesting picks in the bottom half and some interesting quotes and information about the development of the skits.

Ruckhappy

[2152]Feb 14, 2014

HelloStuart wrote:
    warqueen wrote:

To quote John Nance Gardner, being vice-president is "not worth a bucket of warm piss." Although I would think that Seth would show the man more due since the SNL writers got so much mileage out of Biden while he was in charge of them.

samuel4177

[2153]Feb 14, 2014
    • level: 1
    I am desperately trying to find a sketch or know some of the actors so I can search for it.

The sketch was a game show about passive people telling the host how they handled a situation, describing it as aggressive/confrontational. The host would then show an instant replay of the situation, where it would be shown that the person actually handled it in a passive way.

Does anybody remember when this is from or who acted in this sketch so I can find it?

evildevil97

[2154]Feb 16, 2014
    • level: 26
    HelloStuart wrote:

I have the exact same reaction. I'm reminded of an episode of Family Guy where Jesus Christ goes on Leno. He was second fiddle to Dave Coulier.