Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

General News & Media Mentions

Hennes81

[2155]Feb 20, 2014
    • level: 5

First an interview with Fred about his decision to lead Seths band:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/fred-armisen-his-role-as-681064

Also some bonus information about Jimmy which didn't fit into the Vulture piece two weeks ago:

http://www.vulture.com/2014/02/jimmy-fallon-tonight-show-host-hang-out-things-you-learn.html

Some Highlights:

13. He and Sanz did a lot of stupid, destructive stuff. Fallon had a "Charles Lindberg edition" CD player/record player/radio on his desk that Sanz says was "a piece of shit." So after months of Sanz bitching about it, they decided to throw it against a wall to destroy it. But it was a month after 9/11, so when they threw it against a wall and people heard the boom, they thought it was another attack. "People were screaming. One woman started crying," says Sanz. "We were both like little boys, Oh, no, look what we just did! But it was so funny how people reacted to us destroying a Charles Lindberg boombox." Also, one time, Tom Brokaw yelled at them because they were playing baseball in the hallway while he was trying to edit something. "We heard like, 'Knock it off!' And it was Tom Brokaw," says Sanz. "Tom Brokaw yelled at us because we were goofing around too much."

(About the Roots)
    17. Fallon met with them in Lorne Michaels' office because he wanted to impress them, and gave them his spiel. "I remember Questlove was like, 'Alright, I have two questions for you,'" Fallon says. "'One, what if, like, Herbie Hancock's in town, can he sit in with the band?' I go, 'Yeah. Of course he can sit in with the band.' And he goes, 'My other question is, this is Lorne Michaels' office, why isn't there popcorn here?' And I'm like, Oh, he's a comedy nerd! He knows that Lorne has this big basket of popcorn before SNL. I couldn't believe he knew that. So I go, Oh, I like this guy. He's a comedy nerd, and also an audiophile, which I'm a bit of. He's an encyclopedia. I trust him over Google."

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

mrjimmyjames

[2156]Feb 20, 2014
    • level: 7

warqueen wrote:

With Seth's departure he was the oldest cast member currently at age 39; that now belongs to Paul O'Brien who is age 37. However that designation may not last too long, as the knives have come out for him from male (and some female) fans of the show now that it is publicly known that he is dating Cecily, which this week probably meant his bank account got a lot lighter, as not only today is Valentines Day, but Cecily's 30th birthday just passed on Feb. 8.

Seth's most memorable non-Weekend Update sketch (to me) was when in October 2004 when he played Osama Bin Laden in that infamous video in which he spoofed as Osama ragging on the Ashlee Simpson lip-sync incident from the show the previous week.

Surprising. One season in and already you're the oldest cast member. And probably gone after this season. Funny to see that Armisen is close to 50; the show isn't known for old cast members. Seth's age kind of surprises me.

HelloStuart

[2157]Feb 21, 2014
    • level: 63
    samuel4177 wrote:
    I am desperately trying to find a sketch or know some of the actors so I can search for it.

The sketch was a game show about passive people telling the host how they handled a situation, describing it as aggressive/confrontational. The host would then show an instant replay of the situation, where it would be shown that the person actually handled it in a passive way.

Does anybody remember when this is from or who acted in this sketch so I can find it?

This doesn't sound familiar to me. Are you sure it was SNL and not SCTV or "Kids in the Hall?"

HelloStuart

[2158]Feb 21, 2014
    mrjimmyjames wrote:

warqueen wrote:

Seth's most memorable non-Weekend Update sketch (to me) was when in October 2004 when he played Osama Bin Laden in that infamous video in which he spoofed as Osama ragging on the Ashlee Simpson lip-sync incident from the show the previous week.

Surprising. One season in and already you're the oldest cast member. And probably gone after this season. Funny to see that Armisen is close to 50; the show isn't known for old cast members. Seth's age kind of surprises me.

Queenie sort of makes a point. Seth didn't really come into his own until he stepped behind the Update desk. All of his recurring sketches were augmented by stronger cast members ("The Needlers" and "Spy Glass" with Amy, "Jarred's Room" with Jimmy and Ho, "Top O' The Mornin'" with Jimmy).

With that said, the character that stands out most in my mind was DJ Jonathan Feinstein.

mrjimmyjames

[2159]Feb 27, 2014
    • level: 7

HelloStuart wrote:
    mrjimmyjames wrote:

warqueen wrote:

Queenie sort of makes a point. Seth didn't really come into his own until he stepped behind the Update desk. All of his recurring sketches were augmented by stronger cast members ("The Needlers" and "Spy Glass" with Amy, "Jarred's Room" with Jimmy and Ho, "Top O' The Mornin'" with Jimmy). With that said, the character that stands out most in my mind was DJ Jonathan Feinstein.

I thought Seth sucked as a sketch performer and anything that was based around his personality was honestly never funny enough. He just didn't have the style of humor that suited it, it was too dry and maybe made you laugh a little but just not enough (esp. The Needlers). Everything kind of came off as a Chandler Bing esque "Hey, could I be any funnier?" He's not funny ha ha. It was great that he was able to find a place where his style could be used perfectly in writing and in Update.

Hennes81

[2160]Mar 6, 2014

NBC revives the American Comedy Awards this year. Looking at the nominations the ceremony might have lots of wiiners from Comedy Central and NBC (most of which are SNL alumni).

Interesting:
    - No nominations for CBS and just one for Girls.
    - In the Best Film category "Jackass: Bad Grandpa" is nominated, but no "American Hustle" (which got nominations for JLaw and Louis CK) or "Her" (Johansson).
    - Kristen Wiig is nominated twice (Actress and Supporting Actress), Seth Rogen three times (Actor, Director, Screenplay)

Here is a list of nominations including current and former SNL cast and frequent hosts:

COMEDY ACTOR - FILM
    Will Ferrell, "Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues"
    Seth Rogen, "This Is the End"

COMEDY ACTRESS - FILM
    Julia Louis-Dreyfus, "Enough Said"
    Melissa McCarthy, "The Heat"
    Kristen Wiig, "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty"

COMEDY SUPPORTING ACTOR - FILM
    Will Forte, "Nebraska"
    Jonah Hill, "This Is the End"

COMEDY SUPPORTING ACTRESS - FILM
    Kristen Wiig, "Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues"

COMEDY DIRECTOR - FILM
    Seth Rogen & Evan Goldberg, "This Is the End"

COMEDY SCREENPLAY
    "This Is the End," written by Seth Rogen & Evan Goldberg

COMEDY SERIES
    "Brooklyn Nine-Nine"
    "Parks and Recreation"
    "Saturday Night Live"
    "Veep"

ALTERNATIVE COMEDY SERIES
    "Portlandia"

LATE NIGHT TALK SHOW
    "Conan"
    "Late Night with Jimmy Fallon"

COMEDY ACTOR - TV
    Fred Armisen, "Portlandia"
    Andy Samberg, "Brooklyn Nine-Nine"

COMEDY ACTRESS - TV
    Julia Louis-Dreyfus, "Veep"
    Amy Poehler, "Parks and Recreation"

COMEDY SUPPORTING ACTOR - TV
    Bill Hader, "Saturday Night Live"

COMEDY SUPPORTING ACTRESS - TV
    Vanessa Bayer, "Saturday Night Live"
    Kate McKinnon, "Saturday Night Live"

COMEDY WRITING - TV
    "Parks and Recreation"

COMEDY DIRECTING - TV
    "Parks and Recreation"

COMEDY SPECIAL OF THE YEAR
    "Sarah Silverman: We Are Miracles"

Hennes81

[2161]Mar 7, 2014

New alumni interviews:

Dana Carvey talks about Lorne, the Hans and Franz movie, 'The Dana Carvey Show'

Michaela Watkins talks about Trophy Wife, her time at SNL and the marks she left at the Update table

HelloStuart

[2162]Mar 7, 2014
    Hennes81 wrote:

NBC revives the American Comedy Awards this year. Looking at the nominations the ceremony might have lots of wiiners from Comedy Central and NBC (most of which are SNL alumni).

Interesting:
    - No nominations for CBS and just one for Girls.
    - In the Best Film category "Jackass: Bad Grandpa" is nominated, but no "American Hustle" (which got nominations for JLaw and Louis CK) or "Her" (Johansson).
    - Kristen Wiig is nominated twice (Actress and Supporting Actress), Seth Rogen three times (Actor, Director, Screenplay)

Here is a list of nominations including current and former SNL cast and frequent hosts:

COMEDY ACTOR - FILM
    Will Ferrell, "Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues"
    Seth Rogen, "This Is the End"

COMEDY ACTRESS - FILM
    Julia Louis-Dreyfus, "Enough Said"
    Melissa McCarthy, "The Heat"
    Kristen Wiig, "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty"

COMEDY SUPPORTING ACTOR - FILM
    Will Forte, "Nebraska"
    Jonah Hill, "This Is the End"

COMEDY SUPPORTING ACTRESS - FILM
    Kristen Wiig, "Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues"

COMEDY DIRECTOR - FILM
    Seth Rogen & Evan Goldberg, "This Is the End"

COMEDY SCREENPLAY
    "This Is the End," written by Seth Rogen & Evan Goldberg

COMEDY SERIES
    "Brooklyn Nine-Nine"
    "Parks and Recreation"
    "Saturday Night Live"
    "Veep"

ALTERNATIVE COMEDY SERIES
    "Portlandia"

LATE NIGHT TALK SHOW
    "Conan"
    "Late Night with Jimmy Fallon"

COMEDY ACTOR - TV
    Fred Armisen, "Portlandia"
    Andy Samberg, "Brooklyn Nine-Nine"

COMEDY ACTRESS - TV
    Julia Louis-Dreyfus, "Veep"
    Amy Poehler, "Parks and Recreation"

COMEDY SUPPORTING ACTOR - TV
    Bill Hader, "Saturday Night Live"

COMEDY SUPPORTING ACTRESS - TV
    Vanessa Bayer, "Saturday Night Live"
    Kate McKinnon, "Saturday Night Live"

COMEDY WRITING - TV
    "Parks and Recreation"

COMEDY DIRECTING - TV
    "Parks and Recreation"

COMEDY SPECIAL OF THE YEAR
    "Sarah Silverman: We Are Miracles"

Last I checked, "Her" is not a comedy.

Hennes81

[2163]Mar 9, 2014

HelloStuart wrote:

I haven't seen it, but it was nominated as "Best Musical or Comedy" at the Golden Globes. Would you describe it as a musical instead?

HelloStuart

[2164]Mar 13, 2014
    Hennes81 wrote:

HelloStuart wrote:

I haven't seen it, but it was nominated as "Best Musical or Comedy" at the Golden Globes. Would you describe it as a musical instead?

Tough to say. I haven't seen the movie, but from the way it's been marketed it barely comes across as a musical or comedy. I can see where it might be satirical...

HelloStuart

[2165]Mar 18, 2014

This would be almost as awkward as TV Land casting Dick York and Dick Sargent in the same sitcom:

http://www.avclub.com/article/rachel-dratch-and-jane-krakowski-will-share-jail-c-202304

HelloStuart

[2166]Apr 22, 2014

Kate, Beck, and Jay are in a new movie together.

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2014/04/08/intramural-trailer/

HelloStuart

[2168]May 23, 2014

Whatever happened to Mike Myers?

http://www.gq.com/entertainment/celebrities/201406/mike-myers

HelloStuart

[2169]Jun 7, 2014

Tracy Morgan is in intensive care following an overnight car accident:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/people/2014/06/07/tracy-morgan-car-crash/10160317/

JustinRAn

[2170]Jun 20, 2014
    • level: 12

HelloStuart wrote:

Whatever happened to Mike Myers?

http://www.gq.com/entertainment/celebrities/201406/mike-myers

He Did Love Guru and it ended his career (Well, Non Animated wise)

Anyway http://www.avclub.com/article/here-are-ben-and-jerrys-first-two-saturday-night-l-206014

The first one: KMN The 2nd one: Eh? Seriously, Who thought of the first one?

Edited on 07/05/2014 10:49pm

HelloStuart

[2171]Jul 12, 2014
    Congratulations to Kate McKinnon on her well-deserved Emmy nomination.

HelloStuart

[2172]Jul 14, 2014
    Well, it's official-- Brooks is not coming back. However, I wouldn't expect any other cast news until early August.

warqueen

[2173]Jul 15, 2014

HelloStuart wrote:
    Well, it's official-- Brooks is not coming back. However, I wouldn't expect any other cast news until early August.
    I had just posted a link about Brooks getting his pink lip on the Season 40 thread just minutes apart from you Stu . Should have posted it here instead, I did check here to see if anyone posted and no one had. Oh well!

warqueen

[2174]Jul 15, 2014

Kate McKinnon was on Late Night with Seth Meyers last night and at the end of the interview Seth announced the season 40 premiere was Sept. 27.

I am going to post the link for the full episode because as funny as it was; what was revealing - figuratively and & literally - was once again Kate was wearing a sleek black super short mini-skirt that she had trouble with in the interview and mentioned halfway through she got warned about it backstage. She wore the same exact dress on Conan 6 weeks ago in an even wackier interview and was having 'wardrobe' issues with the dress (she also wore the same dress-with the same issues on LN with J. Fallon back in January.) Don't get it wrong, I have no problem with it as I a guy thinks she is smoking hot wearing that piece. It is just once again in various online comments areas both gay & straight men and gay & straight women are questioning is she actually a really 100% lesbian due to her revealing dress, especially as it seemed she was flirting some with Seth and definitely Conan.

Full episode with Seth: http://www.nbc.com/late-night-with-seth-meyers/video/kate-mckinnon-pete-rose-betty-who/2797163#i

Part of Kate's interview with Conan: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XsaerFUayc

Also: Kate McKinnon On The Origin Of "Dyke & Fats": http://teamcoco.com/video/kate-mckinnon-fats-sketch

warqueen

[2175]Jul 15, 2014

Night of the Long Knives!.....Night of the Long Knives!

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/07/15/noel-wells-john-milhiser-snl/

According to Deadline Hollywood, it also looks as if Mike O'Brien return as a cast member is looking doubtful as Wells....err I mean well.