Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

General News & Media Mentions

avmon

[221]Jul 14, 2008
    • level: 17
    thecomedianky wrote:
    The sad state of comedians in film.
    While I admit to liking Murphy's Norbit (though it's been a year since then), I did cringe when I saw the trailer for Meet Dave though not as much as when I watched the one for Myers' Love Guru (I'm so glad I watched Get Smart instead). And Adam Sandler has always been hit-or-miss for me with the trailer for his latest one for Don't Mess with the Zohan seeming really embarassing (though once again, not as much as LG). And while I liked the first three Shrek movies (the last one, not so much) and the Christmas special, shouldn't we now have a moratorium on the franchaise? It's like Jeffery Katzenberg doesn't know when to quit...
    Edited on 07/14/2008 8:36am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

TheDiamondDog

[222]Jul 14, 2008
    • level: 61

avmon wrote:
    thecomedianky wrote:
    The sad state of comedians in film.
    While I admit to liking Murphy's Norbit (though it's been a year since then), I did cringe when I saw the trailer for Meet Dave...

I remember when I first saw the trailer I thought, "How the hell did that get greenlighted?" These movies look like they, at the most, should go straight to DVD.

whoaitsconner

[223]Jul 14, 2008
    • level: 21
    So far, this summer has had horrible comedies, save for Get Smart, and maybe a few others. But, SNL alums are doin a great job.

thecomedianky

[224]Jul 15, 2008
    • level: 19
    whoaitsconner wrote:
    So far, this summer has had horrible comedies, save for Get Smart, and maybe a few others. But, SNL alums are doin a great job.
    I'm looking at my calendar right now.

I was forced against my will to see Made of Honor. Even if it was predictable, I am glad to have seen Sidney Pollack's last film.

I loved Get Smart and You Don't Mess with the Zohan. I passed on the Love Guru and Meet Dave. Didn't care that much for What Happens in Vegas but saw it anyway.

Hancock wasn't a comedy so I'm not counting that. But wow, not too many comedies this summer. It's mainly been action or comic book movies for me.

Water78

[225]Jul 15, 2008
    • level: 47
    whoaitsconner wrote:

ur kidding get smart sucked

HelloStuart

[226]Jul 15, 2008
    • level: 63
    Water78 wrote:
    whoaitsconner wrote:

You're probably in the minority on that one, water. The reviews have been so-so, and it doesn't look like a god-awful movie.

thecomedianky

[227]Jul 15, 2008
    Water78 wrote:
    whoaitsconner wrote:

that's your opinion. i loved it.

mp34mp

[228]Jul 15, 2008
    • level: 16
    thecomedianky wrote:
    Water78 wrote:
    whoaitsconner wrote:

They're a different generation, Daniel. While you and I grew up watching 1960s reruns of Get Smart, thems slapperstick youngins were texting each other on the damn PHONE.

thecomedianky

[229]Jul 15, 2008
    mp34mp wrote:
    thecomedianky wrote:
    Water78 wrote:
    whoaitsconner wrote:

They're a different generation, Daniel. While you and I grew up watching 1960s reruns of Get Smart, thems slapperstick youngins were texting each other on the damn PHONE.
    I never saw the original show a day in my life. I ought to when I have the chance.

TheDiamondDog

[230]Jul 15, 2008
    • level: 61

thecomedianky wrote:
    mp34mp wrote:
    thecomedianky wrote:
    Water78 wrote:
    whoaitsconner wrote:
    I never saw the original show a day in my life. I ought to when I have the chance.

I enjoyed the original series. I was thinking about seeing the movie, but was unsure cause I find myself comparing originals with remakes.

mp34mp

[231]Jul 15, 2008
    thecomedianky wrote:
    mp34mp wrote:
    thecomedianky wrote:
    Water78 wrote:
    whoaitsconner wrote:

Really??? I can do a rather somewhat Don Adams a la "Maxwell Smart" impression. Reminds me of Jon Lovitz's Master Thespian. Well then. And Agent 99? H-O-T.

Water78

[232]Jul 15, 2008
    • level: 47
    mp34mp wrote:
    thecomedianky wrote:
    Water78 wrote:
    whoaitsconner wrote:

nope my phone in a van down by the river that were u'll find oteri and kattan hidding out

HelloStuart

[233]Jul 15, 2008
    thecomedianky wrote:
    mp34mp wrote:
    thecomedianky wrote:
    Water78 wrote:
    whoaitsconner wrote:

I've seen three or four episodes of the original series, plus the short-lived '90s revival with Andy Dick and Elaine Hendricks.

avmon

[234]Jul 15, 2008
    • level: 17
    HelloStuart wrote:
    thecomedianky wrote:
    mp34mp wrote:
    thecomedianky wrote:
    Water78 wrote:
    whoaitsconner wrote:
    I've seen three or four episodes of the original series, plus the short-lived '90s revival with Andy Dick and Elaine Hendricks.
    I watched the pilot that I taped from Very, Very, Nick at Night a decade ago on the day the Get Smart movie premiered. Quite funny script from Brooks and Henry though the fights at the end weren't too convincing. The Cone of Silence sequence here was a classic "Who's On First?"-type routine and though it seems obvious even under a cap and suit that Agent 99 is a woman, it took a while before Max noticed. I've seen some eps on syndication and some on Nick at Night. I've also seen The Nude Bomb when it aired on NBC in the '80s as The Return of Maxwell Smart. At the time, I remember liking it. I certainly liked Get Smart, Again with the reunion of everyone except Edward Platt as "Chief" who died in 1974.
    Edited on 07/15/2008 9:33pm

HelloStuart

[235]Jul 16, 2008
    avmon wrote:
    HelloStuart wrote:
    thecomedianky wrote:
    mp34mp wrote:
    thecomedianky wrote:
    Water78 wrote:
    whoaitsconner wrote:

I watched the pilot that I taped from Very, Very, Nick at Night a decade ago on the day the Get Smart movie premiered. Quite funny script from Brooks and Henry though the fights at the end weren't too convincing. The Cone of Silence sequence here was a classic "Who's On First?"-type routine and though it seems obvious even under a cap and suit that Agent 99 is a woman, it took a while before Max noticed. I've seen some eps on syndication and some on Nick at Night. I've also seen The Nude Bomb when it aired on NBC in the '80s as The Return of Maxwell Smart. At the time, I remember liking it. I certainly liked Get Smart, Again with the reunion of everyone except Edward Platt as "Chief" who died in 1974.

In the '90s revival, Maxwell Smart was the new chief and his son (Dick) was the field agent. Agent 99 became a congresswoman (yet strangely, they never revealed her name).

bry456

[236]Jul 16, 2008
    I saw part of the 1980 movie revival of 'Get Smart' one night on some cable channel (STARZ, I think), what I saw okay, wish I had watched more though.

whoaitsconner

[237]Jul 16, 2008
    • level: 21
    This made my day

HelloStuart

[238]Jul 16, 2008
    whoaitsconner wrote:
    This made my day

That's some ironic summer reading she's got there.

HelloStuart

[239]Jul 16, 2008
    Just a heads up- SNL Column #19 has just been posted.

mp34mp

[240]Jul 16, 2008
    HelloStuart wrote:
    whoaitsconner wrote:
    This made my day

That's some ironic summer reading she's got there.

You notice she has no wedding band on her left ring finger. I thought she was married.