Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

General News & Media Mentions

JustinRAn

[1726]Jul 9, 2012
    • level: 12
    HelloStuart wrote:
    JustinRAn wrote:
    Maybe It'll be like Norm's update where he'll just do Update and someone else will write Update.

You mean James Downey?

Yeah.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Ruckhappy

[1728]Jul 16, 2012
    • level: 9

Oh yeah, I've been watching them on Hulu. Frankly, the webisodes featuring Abby have been the weakest, but at least she's trying to develop new material. Lutz's (The Front Desk) have been the funniest, especially the one featuring Bill.

HelloStuart

[1730]Jul 19, 2012
    • level: 63
    rishabhpb wrote:
    Plenty of SNL-related nominations on the Emmys!

Best Supporting Actor/Actress for Bill and Kristen, Best Guest for Jimmy, Maya and Melissa, and the obligatory nom for the show itself.

And Don Roy King, I think.

avmon

[1731]Jul 20, 2012
    • level: 16
    In case you haven't heard: Tom Davis died yesterday. Longtime writing and performing partner of Al Franken, he and Al were quite a team whether having Dan Aykroyd as Richard Nixon talking to previous presidential portraits, getting Steve Martin as Theodoric of York think of some new theories before dismissing them by saying "Nah!", or doing their own act on "The Franken and Davis Show". They were two of a kind, at least until the split during the '90s. He also helped co-create "The Coneheads" with Aykroyd which were probably among the most popular sketches during The First Five Years. When they both returned in 1985, after a five-year absence, they became the producers under Lorne but because of the uncertainly of their, and much of the veteran writers staff, coming back, they had trouble getting their mojo back so Lorne completely took over the following season and rejuvenated the show during what is now referred as the Renesance era with Franken and Davis among those feeling refreshed enough to stay for a few more seasons. All I'll say now is rest in peace, Mr. Davis.

HelloStuart

[1732]Jul 21, 2012
    The forums were shut down Thursday or Friday, otherwise I would've started a "breaking news" thread.

More than one SNL writer passed on July 19th. Year 7 scribe Nelson Lyon died at age 73. He was the onetime Mr. Mike crony that was undeservedly blamed for John Belushi's death. His crowning achievement, however was the "Executive Stress Test" sketch from Devito/Sparks.

avmon

[1733]Jul 21, 2012
    HelloStuart wrote:
    The forums were shut down Thursday or Friday, otherwise I would've started a "breaking news" thread.

More than one SNL writer passed on July 19th. Year 7 scribe Nelson Lyon died at age 73. He was the onetime Mr. Mike crony that was undeservedly blamed for John Belushi's death. His crowning achievement, however was the "Executive Stress Test" sketch from Devito/Sparks.
    I actually read about Lyon's death this morning. And I rewatched that "Executive Stress Test" sketch when it aired on CSNL several years back. It was even more brillant than I remembered it.

avmon

[1734]Jul 21, 2012
    Tom Davis' picture with his birth and death years just appeared after "Weekend Update".

Ruckhappy

[1735]Jul 22, 2012
    • level: 9

avmon wrote:
    ...When they both returned in 1985, after a five-year absence, they became the producers under Lorne but because of the uncertainly of their, and much of the veteran writers staff, coming back, they had trouble getting their mojo back so Lorne completely took over the following season....

I've never read that Al & Tom were running the show during the 1985-1986 season. Head writers, yes, and give them credit for the writing staff that they helped recruit: Carol Leifer, Schwarzwelder, George Meyer, Smigel, Handey, A. Whitney Brown...how many Emmys did that crew go on to win and billions of revenue create (cf. The Simpsons)?

The only veteran writers who came back were Downey, Father Guido and Mister Mike. Oh, and Herb Sargent. Never know what to make of that guy. He wrote for Carson, fer chrissake, and SNL was determined to be the antithesis of Carson from the very first.

Edited on 07/22/2012 12:16am

avmon

[1737]Jul 22, 2012

Ruckhappy wrote:

avmon wrote:
    ...When they both returned in 1985, after a five-year absence, they became the producers under Lorne but because of the uncertainly of their, and much of the veteran writers staff, coming back, they had trouble getting their mojo back so Lorne completely took over the following season....

I've never read that Al & Tom were running the show during the 1985-1986 season. Head writers, yes, and give them credit for the writing staff that they helped recruit: Carol Leifer, Schwarzwelder, George Meyer, Smigel, Handey, A. Whitney Brown...how many Emmys did that crew go on to win and billions of revenue create (cf. The Simpsons)?

The only veteran writers who came back were Downey, Father Guido and Mister Mike. Oh, and Herb Sargent. Never know what to make of that guy. He wrote for Carson, fer chrissake, and SNL was determined to be the antithesis of Carson from the very first.

Well, Sargent was producer of the first Lily Tomlin live special in the early '70s when Lorne joined as a staff writer. Lorne eventually became a co-producer of the next two specials with Lily's writing partner, Jane Wagner. So that stint on the first special probably led to Lorne asking Herb to join the original writing staff of SNL.

Edited on 07/22/2012 10:35pm
    Edited 2 total times.

HelloStuart

[1738]Jul 23, 2012
    avmon wrote:

Ruckhappy wrote:

avmon wrote:

I've never read that Al & Tom were running the show during the 1985-1986 season. Head writers, yes, and give them credit for the writing staff that they helped recruit: Carol Leifer, Schwarzwelder, George Meyer, Smigel, Handey, A. Whitney Brown... how many Emmys did that crew go on to win and billions of revenue create (cf. The Simpsons)?

Well, Sargent was producer of the first Lily Tomlin live special in the early '70s when Lorne joined as a staff writer. Lorne eventually became a co-producer of the next two specials with Lily's writing partner, Jane Wagner. So that stint on the first special probably led to Lorne asking Herb to join the original writing staff of SNL.

Also, on a roster of greenhorns Sarge and Marilyn Miller were the only original writers with prior TV experience. He was 30 years older than everyone else, but his guidance was crucial.

As for Year 11, there was some overflow between "The New Show" (Lorne's short-lived prime time sketch show from Spring 1984) and SNL. That was where Lorne first hired Lanier Laney, Jack Handey, and George Meyer. Rounding out the TNS writing crew was Franken, Davis, Downey, Alan Zweibel, Tom Gammill, Max Pross, Sarah Paley, Valri Bromfield, Buck Henry, and Dave Thomas. The last three doubled as cast members.

HelloStuart

[1739]Jul 24, 2012

Finally, some Year 38 news:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/saturday-night-live-weekend-update-thursday-seth-meyers-353526

TheDiamondDog

[1740]Jul 24, 2012
    • level: 61

HelloStuart wrote:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/saturday-night-live-weekend-update-thursday-seth-meyers-353526

I loved them in 2000. Did they do em in 2004? I cannot recall.

HelloStuart

[1741]Jul 25, 2012
    TheDiamondDog wrote:

HelloStuart wrote:

Not in 2004, no. The WUT's you're thinking of aired after the election and ran for 20 minutes after a super-sized "Friends."

avmon

[1742]Jul 25, 2012
    HelloStuart wrote:
    TheDiamondDog wrote:

HelloStuart wrote:

Not in 2004, no. The WUT's you're thinking of aired after the election and ran for 20 minutes after a super-sized "Friends."
    I remember that one. It also had a credit sequence that spoofed that of "Survivor" which just had it's first season the previous summer (though I didn't start watching it until years later...)

HelloStuart

[1743]Jul 26, 2012
    avmon wrote:
    HelloStuart wrote:
    TheDiamondDog wrote:

HelloStuart wrote:

I remember that one. It also had a credit sequence that spoofed that of "Survivor" which just had it's first season the previous summer (though I didn't start watching it until years later...)

...and aired opposite the second (a/k/a "Outback") season. In the early 2000s, Thursdays at 8/7c was a race for third place; "Friends" and "Survivor" combined for a 72 share or something like that.

avmon

[1744]Jul 26, 2012

Just watched on the C-Span video library, Al Franken's eulogy of Tom Davis. In particular, I liked his ancedote about writing that piece about Julia Child bleeding to death and how both Tom and Dan Aykroyd handled the bloodletting on that sketch. Then at the end, Al reads his friend's piece for a literary magazine that literally said, "Dead people are people, too". Quite touching and I'm glad he read it. The entire thing was 21 minutes.

Edited on 07/26/2012 2:42pm
    Edited 2 total times.

drudager

[1745]Aug 3, 2012
    • level: 13

Short little Q & A on Kevin Nealon:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/08/01/entertainment-us-kevinnealon-idUSBRE8700D020120801

HelloStuart

[1746]Aug 6, 2012

Another Year 7 writer has passed. That's three in nine months.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/06/mark-odonnell-dead_n_1748799.html?ir=Culture

JustinRAn

[1747]Aug 7, 2012
    • level: 12
    Who hasn't broken character?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/06/the-funniest-snl-crack-ups_n_1745337.html?utm_hp_ref=comedy