Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

General News & Media Mentions

drudager

[1748]Aug 10, 2012
    • level: 13

Jason Sudeikis might bolt 'Saturday Night Live'

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/moviesnow/la-et-mn-the-campaign-jason-sudeikis-new-20120809,0,7419820.story

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

JustinRAn

[1749]Aug 10, 2012
    • level: 12
    He's been might-bolt since April.

HelloStuart

[1750]Aug 10, 2012
    • level: 63
    drudager wrote:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/moviesnow/la-et-mn-the-campaign-jason-sudeikis-new-20120809,0,7419820.story

I predict he'll stay until mid-season.

TheDiamondDog

[1751]Aug 11, 2012
    • level: 61

HelloStuart wrote:
    drudager wrote:

Once Romney hopefully loses the election, then he won't be too needed.

Hey, am I the only one who thinks Andy would have played Paul Ryan? I see a bit of resemblance.

drudager

[1752]Aug 12, 2012
    HelloStuart wrote:
    drudager wrote:

I think it would show a lot of class & restraint if he did not stay until midseason but actually declined the role & moved on before the season starts. Which we all know SNL has done nothing but pro-Obama sketches with no teeth or criticism.

Ruckhappy

[1753]Aug 12, 2012
    • level: 9

drudager wrote:
    HelloStuart wrote:
    drudager wrote:

Which we all know SNL has done nothing but pro-Obama sketches with no teeth or criticism.

Stale, lame canard disproven many times. Why bother to dredge up that crap again? Jim Downey thinks that Obama is funniest when played as a straight man. Jim Downey is a noted Republican. No partisan bias, just apolitical judgement on how to best satirize the president.

Anyway, if Jason is lobbying for a promotion, he's not planning to stay just half a season. For half a season he's not getting anything out of Lorne except a raise. Sounds like Jason is making an all-or-nothing pitch to extend for a full season or even longer. Maybe he knows that Seth is leaving, after all, and wants the head writer job.

drudager

[1754]Aug 12, 2012
    Ruckhappy wrote:

drudager wrote:
    HelloStuart wrote:
    drudager wrote:

Which we all know SNL has done nothing but pro-Obama sketches with no teeth or criticism.

Stale, lame canard disproven many times. Why bother to dredge up that crap again? Jim Downey thinks that Obama is funniest when played as a straight man. Jim Downey is a noted Republican. No partisan bias, just apolitical judgement on how to best satirize the president.

Yet they made the Clintons look like white trash. SNL has been incredibly protective of Obama. I think old man Jim Downey is getting soft in his years. There's nothing "funny" about Obama being portrayed as a straight man. Show me where they made fun of Obama - and him turning into the Hulk wasn't a shot, either.

drudager

[1755]Aug 12, 2012

Ruckhappy wrote:
    Downey is a noted Republican. No partisan bias

I know who & what Jim Downey is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtNHuqHWefU

They beat the hell out of Joe Biden, yet Obama seems to get off unscathed. And no, I don't watch Fox news. Undecided

HelloStuart

[1756]Aug 12, 2012
    drudager wrote:

Ruckhappy wrote:
    Downey is a noted Republican. No partisan bias

I know who & what Jim Downey is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtNHuqHWefU

They beat the hell out of Joe Biden, yet Obama seems to get off unscathed. And no, I don't watch Fox news. Undecided

Downey writes most of the political material, but he's not the only one. Seth and Sublette have penned topical sketches, too.

Ruckhappy

[1757]Aug 12, 2012
    Downey is the 800 lb. gorilla of the SNL writer's room, though. After decades at SNL he's not going to pimp himself out by denying that the show is giving Obama a partisan pass, if he thought that was happening.

From the SNL perspective, projecting out what they'll write about this fall, the most interesting development is that Romney just picked a veep nominee who really does advocate Medicare "death panels." You think that Downey will let that pass un-skewered?

I haven't read much about Sublette, but somewhere I read that there are other avowed conservatives among the current SNL writers besides Downey. Seth, though he's quiet about it, is pretty clearly liberal in his politics.

Anyway, SNL has not been "incredibly protective" of Obama. It's just a ludicrous allegation that gets more silly each time it's repeated. No one else has been able to get a handle on lampooning Obama's personality either. Six late night shows--8, if you count the Daily Show and Colbert--with some of the best comedy writers in the biz, have been trying for four years to find something about Obama they can satirize, and they've mostly come up blank. It has nothing to do with partisan bias. Comedy writers have been grumbling for a while that Obama is just too careful and smooth and well-spoken to be nailed.

mrjimmyjames

[1758]Aug 12, 2012
    • level: 7

Well, it wouldn't kill them to find someone to play him who can actually impersonate Obama well and have some of the mannerisms down. That would be a start.

Ruckhappy

[1760]Aug 13, 2012
    Jay's Obama is a lot less funny than Jay thinks it it.

Ruckhappy

[1762]Aug 13, 2012

rishabhpb wrote:
    Ruckhappy wrote:
    Jay's Obama is a lot less funny than Jay thinks it it.
    Jay doesn't really do funny impressions, just accurate ones. They'd have to make it more exaggerated somehow.

I know what you mean. It's Darrell Hammond's definition of a successful impression.

In Jay's case, he doesn't know how to dial down his energy and play an impression subtle. You could chain Darrell hand and foot and put him in a mask that covered everything but his mouth, and he could still do Cheney just with the crooked smirk.

At a minimum, to do Obama you have to be able to play his cool demeanor and faultless diction. Most people can't even do that. I've had professional voice training and I cannot match Obama's precise enunciation without concentrating. Physically, he's so centered and relaxed. He doesn't have any hitches or "tells" that you can accentuate for a laugh.

If anyone ever comes up with a truly funny Obama impression, I think it'll be based on the dialogue, not on the physicality.

JustinRAn

[1763]Aug 13, 2012
    I don't think anyone can do a funny Obama cause he's mainly a straight man. You either have to put him in situations that make it odd that he's a straight man, Or just go downright ridiculous with bits. Make him rap or something.

JustinRAn

[1766]Aug 15, 2012
    NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good Job SNL, You underused another female cast member.

avmon

[1767]Aug 15, 2012
    • level: 16
    JustinRAn wrote:
    NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good Job SNL, You underused another female cast member.
    I agree about her being underused. Thought she might have gotten some more mileage out of doing more Zooey Deschanel sketches now that the "New Girl" has another season coming up. Oh, well...

JustinRAn

[1768]Aug 15, 2012
    I also loved that Sarah McLachlan bit on Update, What Is This?, And her Sally Field commercial.

Fun Fact: 2 SNL Cast members have left that can do Drew Barrymore Impressions.
    Hope there's more Junebug and 6-Bee in the future.

TheDiamondDog

[1769]Aug 15, 2012
    • level: 61

rishabhpb wrote:

Well, Abby's gone. http://splitsider.com/2012/08/abby-elliott-is-not-returning-to-snl/

That's a bit of a surprise.

HelloStuart

[1770]Aug 15, 2012
    TheDiamondDog wrote:

rishabhpb wrote:

Well, Abby's gone. http://splitsider.com/2012/08/abby-elliott-is-not-returning-to-snl/

Looking at the big picture, this is probably the best thing for Abby to do. With the possible exception of Ellen Cleghorne, no cast member has ever been on SNL this long and not made an impact. If the conspiracy theories about a "system" for airtime are true, Abby never quite figured it out.

Regardless, I wish Ms. Elliott the best in her future ventures.

mrjimmyjames

[1771]Aug 15, 2012
    • level: 7

HelloStuart wrote:
    TheDiamondDog wrote:

rishabhpb wrote:

Looking at the big picture, this is probably the best thing for Abby to do. With the possible exception of Ellen Cleghorne, no cast member has ever been on SNL this long and not made an impact. If the conspiracy theories about a "system" for airtime are true, Abby never quite figured it out. Regardless, I wish Ms. Elliott the best in her future ventures.

I would call Abby's departure progress for the show. I knew something seemed off for 4 female cast members to be going into this season.