Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

General News & Media Mentions

mrjimmyjames

[1772]Aug 15, 2012
    • level: 7

Ruckhappy wrote:

rishabhpb wrote:
    Ruckhappy wrote:
    Jay's Obama is a lot less funny than Jay thinks it it.
    Jay doesn't really do funny impressions, just accurate ones. They'd have to make it more exaggerated somehow.

I know what you mean. It's Darrell Hammond's definition of a successful impression.

In Jay's case, he doesn't know how to dial down his energy and play an impression subtle. You could chain Darrell hand and foot and put him in a mask that covered everything but his mouth, and he could still do Cheney just with the crooked smirk.

At a minimum, to do Obama you have to be able to play his cool demeanor and faultless diction. Most people can't even do that. I've had professional voice training and I cannot match Obama's precise enunciation without concentrating. Physically, he's so centered and relaxed. He doesn't have any hitches or "tells" that you can accentuate for a laugh.

If anyone ever comes up with a truly funny Obama impression, I think it'll be based on the dialogue, not on the physicality.

Still, Armisen's Obama is mostly terrible because he sounds nothing remotely like him. And most impressions have at least some of the humor come from the fact that they are sounding like the person impersonated (obviously SNL has shown an few exeptions). And Jay does have the voice and mannerisms down. At least if someone had that figured out for once we could forget about that and focus on the dialogue in the sketch. But there's nothing wrong at least improving in that direction even if it doesn't perfect it. Seriously enough with Armisen! Lorne, for crying out loud how can you keep an impression this bad for so long?!

As far as whether Obama can made fun of well, I absolutely think that's possible. Its not that difficult to make fun of him. His unnatural obsession for perfection in public is ripe for humor and should have been made fun of a long time ago. Every time he's in public its as if every word, movement, and/or glancehas been thought through ahead of time. For a while he couldn't go anywhere or say anything without a teleprompter. This practically screams for something sort of like "Ronald Reagan Mastermind" with a twist. Not to mention his youth and inexperience could have probably been made fun of constantly. If they can make fun of a politician for being old, then why not for being young? They could have had a childplay him in some sketches with him walking around the office wearing a suit that was too big for him. I'm just not sure that anyone wants to make fun of him. I don't think its hard to at all, I just think people are scared to do it. Maybe he's just too controversial? I don't think they're trying hard enough.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Ruckhappy

[1773]Aug 16, 2012
    • level: 9

mrjimmyjames wrote:

Still, Armisen's Obama is mostly terrible because he sounds nothing remotely like him. And most impressions have at least some of the humor come from the fact that they are sounding like the person impersonated (obviously SNL has shown an few exeptions). And Jay does have the voice and mannerisms down.

No, he doesn't. He really doesn't. I've hunted around for all the clips I can find of Jay doing Obama, and in none of them can he match Obama's diction. As to Obama's speech rhythms, Jay's got the same rough take on Obama's little hitches for emphasis that everyone else does. Fred, at least, knows how to play that mannerism more correctly, plus he knows when to leave it out just as Obama does sometimes.

As to the rest, how are you going to satirize Obama's "perfection"? You're reading in a calculated pretense that isn't there. Obama doesn't come across as scripted because he just plain isn't. He is just as well-spoken and composed speaking extemporaneously as he is when speaking from prepared material.

Obama has never been chained to a teleprompter. Ever. That's just Fox News propaganda. There are hours of clips of Obama, going back to his days in law school, showing what a smooth public speaker he is when he's working without a script.

You can't riff on his youth because he comes across as mature for his age. You can't pick at his inexperience because, for a guy who's never held an executive office, he's made very few gaffes.

No one is scared of satirizing Obama. SNL has goofed on him plenty. It's just that they can't come up with anything funnier than having Fred-as-Obama react to the Premier of China demanding to be porked.

Really, you've only offered one example of how you'd riff on Obama, and I'm pretty sure that a sketch with him in an oversize suit would bomb.

mrjimmyjames

[1774]Aug 19, 2012

Ruckhappy wrote:

mrjimmyjames wrote:

Still, Armisen's Obama is mostly terrible because he sounds nothing remotely like him. And most impressions have at least some of the humor come from the fact that they are sounding like the person impersonated (obviously SNL has shown an few exeptions). And Jay does have the voice and mannerisms down.

No, he doesn't. He really doesn't. I've hunted around for all the clips I can find of Jay doing Obama, and in none of them can he match Obama's diction. As to Obama's speech rhythms, Jay's got the same rough take on Obama's little hitches for emphasis that everyone else does. Fred, at least, knows how to play that mannerism more correctly, plus he knows when to leave it out just as Obama does sometimes.

As to the rest, how are you going to satirize Obama's "perfection"? You're reading in a calculated pretense that isn't there. Obama doesn't come across as scripted because he just plain isn't. He is just as well-spoken and composed speaking extemporaneously as he is when speaking from prepared material.

Obama has never been chained to a teleprompter. Ever. That's just Fox News propaganda. There are hours of clips of Obama, going back to his days in law school, showing what a smooth public speaker he is when he's working without a script.

You can't riff on his youth because he comes across as mature for his age. You can't pick at his inexperience because, for a guy who's never held an executive office, he's made very few gaffes.

No one is scared of satirizing Obama. SNL has goofed on him plenty. It's just that they can't come up with anything funnier than having Fred-as-Obama react to the Premier of China demanding to be porked.

Really, you've only offered one example of how you'd riff on Obama, and I'm pretty sure that a sketch with him in an oversize suit would bomb.

Nope, Fred can't do anything likeObama, period. Everyone in the world can notice that his impression (or mannerisms or emphasis) isabsolutely horrible. Not sure why you don't feel like Jay would at least be a step up from Fred but I thought I'd at least show a little evidence:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LNI7tUvPSY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkZgHjmBlvE

You have to learn to put your politics aside and realize that no one should be above satire. It sounds like you can't do that. Absolutely every politician is corrupt and phony.And no SNL has not goofed on him plenty. At least, not since the election of 08 when he was zinged by SNL in sketches about his ties to Chicago corruption or media favoritism over Hillary. The SNL I grew up with would have left no mercy. And that's how it should be.

There are plenty of things to mock. No ones trying hard enough. Its not that hard. Yes, Obama is in fact human and like other politicians has made frequent gaffes such as pronouncing corpsman incorrectly or stating that there 57 states. In press conferences he does have an obvious unnatural scripted "perfection" that is in fact ripe for satire. We've never had a president that made a point to be on tv this much (as if he's running a campaign) in order to get his policies across. Obviously he's great at running a campaign and is an amazing politician and that's why he does it but obviously everything is attempted to be perfect and calculated. Yes it's scripted "perfection". It's called being a good politician. And there's plenty of satire that could come from that. You act as if he were a god andhas done nothing that could possibly be made fun of. That simply isn't true.

Ruckhappy

[1775]Aug 20, 2012

I am obviously not the one with a partisan bias. You can't provide a concrete example of how to spoof Obama and have it be funny. Come on, if it's so easy, do it. Do you seriously think that every comedy writer and comedian has been giving Obama a pass out of some giant left-wing conspiracy? For four years? Try to apply a little sanity to your own biases. There are plenty of conservatives in comedy, and there are vastly more laugh mechanics of all partisan ilks desperate to sell jokes or kill on-air or in the clubs. They would rip Obama to shreds if they could. Other than riffing on his political decisions and his rare gaffes, no one has been able to nail him. Q.E.D., there's just very little funny about Obama.

It's particularly risible that you'd dredge up the old (and previously disproven) slam that Obama is overly scripted right as we go into the shank of the campaign season. Turn on the TV lately? There are clips of Obama airing every night showing him speaking off-the-cuff just as smoothly and precisely as he does on the stump. He's just a very adept political speaker. So is Newt Gingrich. Newt is awesome at the verbal jiujitsu of taking a pointed question and turning it around to make the political point that he wants to make. Obama does exactly the same thing, only he's more likeable and he does it with his preturnaturally perfect diction. The only thing that seems "scripted" about Obama is his exceptional pronunciation, and that's kind of a hard thing to mock.

Only that first clip of Jay is new to me, and it's no better than the three or four other clips (including the second one) I've seen of him doing Obama. He's got a passable take on Obama's voice and speech cadence, but no better than the pack of other impressionists can do. Is Fred's Obama notably better or worse? No. He's just the incumbent. "Everyone in the world" does not think that Fred's Obama is horrible. I think that people who like his impression are a little clueless, but it's popular.

By the way, I could come up with half a dozen ideas for sketches including Obama that would be funny. I thought of a couple just writing this response, like revisiting his cozy relationship with the mainstream press or Brokeback Barack: how liberals "just can't quit you" even though he's reneged on so many leftish policy promises. I'd be glad to fax in a sketch satirizing the administration to Downey every show-week Monday this season, if he'd take my call. Just don't expect me or any comedy writer to nail the guy personally, because it's damned hard to do.

Edited on 08/20/2012 3:01pm
    Edited 2 total times.

HelloStuart

[1776]Aug 20, 2012
    • level: 63
    The season premiere has been set for September 15th. Still no word yet on guests.

mrjimmyjames

[1777]Aug 20, 2012

Ruckhappy wrote:

I am obviously not the one with a partisan bias. You can't provide a concrete example of how to spoof Obama and have it be funny. Come on, if it's so easy, do it. Do you seriously think that every comedy writer and comedian has been giving Obama a pass out of some giant left-wing conspiracy? For four years? Try to apply a little sanity to your own biases. There are plenty of conservatives in comedy, and there are vastly more laugh mechanics of all partisan ilks desperate to sell jokes or kill on-air or in the clubs. They would rip Obama to shreds if they could. Other than riffing on his political decisions and his rare gaffes, no one has been able to nail him. Q.E.D., there's just very little funny about Obama.

It's particularly risible that you'd dredge up the old (and previously disproven) slam that Obama is overly scripted right as we go into the shank of the campaign season. Turn on the TV lately? There are clips of Obama airing every night showing him speaking off-the-cuff just as smoothly and precisely as he does on the stump. He's just a very adept political speaker. So is Newt Gingrich. Newt is awesome at the verbal jiujitsu of taking a pointed question and turning it around to make the political point that he wants to make. Obama does exactly the same thing, only he's more likeable and he does it with his preturnaturally perfect diction. The only thing that seems "scripted" about Obama is his exceptional pronunciation, and that's kind of a hard thing to mock.

Only that first clip of Jay is new to me, and it's no better than the three or four other clips (including the second one) I've seen of him doing Obama. He's got a passable take on Obama's voice and speech cadence, but no better than the pack of other impressionists can do. Is Fred's Obama notably better or worse? No. He's just the incumbent. "Everyone in the world" does not think that Fred's Obama is horrible. I think that people who like his impression are a little clueless, but it's popular.

By the way, I could come up with half a dozen ideas for sketches including Obama that would be funny. I thought of a couple just writing this response, like revisiting his cozy relationship with the mainstream press or Brokeback Barack: how liberals "just can't quit you" even though he's reneged on so many leftish policy promises. I'd be glad to fax in a sketch satirizing the administration to Downey every show-week Monday this season, if he'd take my call. Just don't expect me or any comedy writer to nail the guy personally, because it's damned hard to do.

Except that the way you overreact to the mere thought that Mr. Obama could potentially be made fun of makes your bias so obvious. You're so beside your self about it. Its eating you inside isn't it? Your inability to admit that he is corrupt/human/phony just like most other politicians (Bush, Clinton, Romney) and that this could be exploited for humor shows just how biased you are. You make it sound as if Mr. Obama can do nothing that can be fun of. Yes its true; all politicians rely on heavy PR. Simply pointing out Obama has done that much more than others. And that could be humorous; that's fine if you don't think so but there's nothing wrong with simply pointing it out. No reason to get so upset. Not to mention your attempt to turn this into a liberal-conservative thing. I guess you didn't read what i said about criticizing all politicians; I'm just simply not a blind follower of parties or people and pretty far from Republican (especially anti drug war and all wars in general). I'm just a fan of the first amendment and healthy skepticism, that's all and I'd like to see sharper political sketches. Don't know about your accusations of conspiracies but all I know is that the SNL I've watched for years would been able to satirize the current president much better.

drudager

[1779]Aug 21, 2012
    • level: 13

Obama and his "White Sox" fanship.

Just another phony baloney politician playing the role of "fan but not really fan" & playing to voters by not trying to offend anyone. You can wear a White Sox jacket, but it doesn't automatically make you a real White Sox fan. BTW, he's referencing the steep upper deck at New Comiskey Park (1991-02) / U.S. Cellular Field (2003-present) about the nosebleeds. "Old" Comiskey Park was from 1910-90 and did not have steep upper deck seating (just like Wrigley & all other old parks) - the steep upper deck is a result of no obstructed views & multiple mid-level seating and luxury boxes, which pushes back the upper deck. Nobody ever referred to New Comiskey as "Old Comiskey". The differences between the stadiums are blatant.

You can't really work sports references into political sketches but it could be worked about how Obama is spoon-fed info & deciphers it into facts and he would have no idea knowing the difference.

drudager

[1780]Aug 21, 2012
    • level: 13

Ruckhappy wrote:
    There are plenty of conservatives in comedy

Prove it. I really want to see this list. Conservatives are the extreme minority in comedy. It is a vastly left-wing dominated profession. Show me a right-wing stand-up comedian making it and you'll see my jaw falling down on the table.

Bill Clinton left the White House in January of 2001. 8 brutal years of George W. Bush which was late night comedy gold & the standard for a long, long time & they STILL made GWB jokes after he left office. Obama, with basically no experience, from an incredibly corrupt state (which btw, I live in) & corrupt city, ruins on a naive hippie-esque "hope" campaign, and almost 4 years into it, there's barely any satire? Comedy writers could rip Obama to shreds. But they don't want to. There's plenty of other idiot Republican politicians & bad Democrats to go after, but they'll leave Obama - whom hold their cherish ideals - well alone. They know he's far more important than some stupid fat governor of New Jersey or some loon like Michele Bachmann. That's what's so gutless about SNL - they should be equal opportune offenders. Downey has gone soft & the other writers are obviously in charge.

If you don't think SNL is soft on Obama & claim otherwise, you are obviously full of b.s. I know satire or creampuff lobs when I see it. The world is a vastly different place & writers than it was in 2000 in the bask of the Clinton glory years. Writers wish GWB was still around (but not in power) so they could have their cake & eat it, too. Come on, man.

avmon

[1782]Sep 3, 2012
    • level: 17
    Anyone wanna bet Bill Hader might again portray Clint Eastwood on the season premiere and do his bit talking to "The Chair" at the Republican National Convention? Maybe even saying something about what he can't do to himself...

TheDiamondDog

[1783]Sep 3, 2012
    • level: 61

avmon wrote:
    Anyone wanna bet Bill Hader might again portray Clint Eastwood on the season premiere and do his bit talking to "The Chair" at the Republican National Convention? Maybe even saying something about what he can't do to himself...

I'm hoping if it is not to late they do a bit with the chair. If only the chair could host...

Edited on 09/03/2012 10:04am

Royce7815

[1784]Sep 4, 2012
    • level: 4

avmon wrote:
    OHHH YOU BETTER BELIEVE HE WILL!! lol and he'll probably throw in his little "Grand Torino" line

HelloStuart

[1786]Sep 5, 2012
    rishabhpb wrote:
    10 days to the premiere and no more news on the cast. I guess Kate will be the only featured player, then?

Still no word on Suds, either. My theory is that any and all cast decisions are coming down to the 11th hour, not unlike Belushi, Aykroyd, and Shearer prior to Year 5.

Ruckhappy

[1787]Sep 5, 2012

No news out of the Chicago improv grapevine, Stu? At this point I would think you could check on the cast hires locally by watching the departure gates at O'Hare for flights bound for LaGuardia. They have to have hired a couple of people out of the Chicago troupes, given the number of people they're looking to replace. Are any of the well-known local improv stars looking for house sitters, advertising to sell their cars, etc?

Ruckhappy

[1789]Sep 6, 2012

It is now after COB East Coast time, with no press release about new cast for SNL. If they don't make an announcement tomorrow the speculation about cast moves will go way up and drown out the usual preseason flack to hype the first show of the year. They don't want that.

avmon

[1790]Sep 6, 2012
    I just read on TVguide.com (as sourced from Us Weekly) that after nine years of marriage, and baring two kids, Amy Poehler and Will Arnett are separating. Too bad. I guess they're too busy to spend more time with each other...

JustinRAn

[1792]Sep 7, 2012
    • level: 12
    rishabhpb wrote:
    avmon wrote:
    I just read on TVguide.com (as sourced from Us Weekly) that after nine years of marriage, and baring two kids, Amy Poehler and Will Arnett are separating. Too bad. I guess they're too busy to spend more time with each other...

I couldn't care less about celeb couples, but this one saddens me because they're great.

I still think of them as the brother & sister from Blades of Glory.

JustinRAn

[1793]Sep 7, 2012
    • level: 12
    Update:

SNL has just fired 2 new people... Oops, I mean "hired" 2 new cast members.

http://splitsider.com/2012/09/snl-casts-two-chicagoans-aidy-bryant-and-tim-robinson/

Stu, Can they do any Impressions?

HelloStuart

[1794]Sep 7, 2012

JustinRAn wrote:
    Update: SNL has just fired 2 new people... Oops, I mean "hired" 2 new cast members.

http://splitsider.com/2012/09/snl-casts-two-chicagoans-aidy-bryant-and-tim-robinson/

Stu, can they do any impressions?

I've heard Aidy can do a decent Adele. "Robbo" is more of a goofy, character-oriented actor, like Hader or Forte.

Earlier today, I had heard rumors around Second City that Chris Witaske was hired as a writer, but he clarified on Facebook that even though he had a pretty nice meeting with Lorne et al. he never heard back from NYC.

HelloStuart

[1795]Sep 7, 2012
    Ruckhappy wrote:

No news out of the Chicago improv grapevine, Stu? At this point I would think you could check on the cast hires locally by watching the departure gates at O'Hare for flights bound for LaGuardia. They have to have hired a couple of people out of the Chicago troupes, given the number of people they're looking to replace. Are any of the well-known local improv stars looking for house sitters, advertising to sell their cars, etc?

I'm doing the best I can. Are you placated now?

avmon

[1796]Sep 10, 2012
    Last Saturday, Taran Killiam and Cobie Smulders got married having previously bared the now 3-year-old Shaelyn Cado. Congrats to all!