Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

General News & Media Mentions

  • Avatar of Royce7815

    Royce7815

    [1797]Sep 10, 2012
    • member since: 08/22/12
    • level: 4
    • rank: Thighmaster
    • posts: 152

    We now have a third member, adding on to Aidy and Tim now we have Cecily Strong



    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/10/new-snl-cast-aidy-bryant-tim-robinson-cecily-strong_n_1870680.html?utm_hp_ref=entertainment&ir=Entertainment

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of TheDiamondDog

    TheDiamondDog

    [1798]Sep 10, 2012
    • member since: 06/14/05
    • level: 61
    • rank: Gold Monkey
    • posts: 19,860

    So three to replace the three lost.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Ruckhappy

    Ruckhappy

    [1799]Sep 10, 2012
    • member since: 08/03/11
    • level: 9
    • rank: Door Number 2
    • posts: 778

    TheDiamondDog wrote:


    So three to replace the three lost.



    That still leaves them short compared to last season, if Jason doesn't return.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of JustinRAn

    JustinRAn

    [1800]Sep 10, 2012
    • member since: 12/30/09
    • level: 12
    • rank: Evil Bert
    • posts: 1,282
    Anyone wanna take bets on which lady is gonna "fall to the wayside" by January?

    I'm betting on Nasim, or Kate.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of mrjimmyjames

    mrjimmyjames

    [1801]Sep 10, 2012
    • member since: 05/13/10
    • level: 7
    • rank: Talk Show Host
    • posts: 420

    JustinRAn wrote:
    Anyone wanna take bets on which lady is gonna "fall to the wayside" by January? I'm betting on Nasim, or Kate.


    This is far more cast hires than I expected Lorne to make and as a resultit seems obvious to me that he's still notsatisfied with the female cast so far or happy with the three (of four) that were hired in 2010. With Abby finally gone, I assumed that after years of trying to replace female cast members, he finally was starting to have it in place and was going to give Kate a chance to prove that she could be the third female cast member. Given that the show has always stuck to the formula of "three females" I find it doubtful that he's going to eventually stick with all five females. So odd. This has me wondering whether or not he's happy with Vanessa. Sounds like Lorne is continuing the never ending search for the perfect female cast member that he started back in 08 with Casey Wilson. For once Lorne, just pick someone and go with it.


    I also assumed that the four (now three) added in 2010 were added in advance to replace people like Andy, Jason, and Kristen. So why add so many now? Not happy with Taran, Vanessa, and Jay?

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of JustinRAn

    JustinRAn

    [1802]Sep 10, 2012
    • member since: 12/30/09
    • level: 12
    • rank: Evil Bert
    • posts: 1,282
    Personally I wish Lorne would just stick with 3 women. Honestly, How has having 4-5+ women in a cast been good? At least 2 fall off cause of lack of roles.

    I would've just had Nasim, Kate, and Vanessa and just leave it at that.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of HelloStuart

    HelloStuart

    [1803]Sep 10, 2012
    • member since: 06/03/05
    • level: 63
    • rank: Browncoat
    • posts: 27,156
    JustinRAn wrote:
    Personally I wish Lorne would just stick with three women. Honestly, How has having four or five women in a cast been good? At least two fall off because of lack of roles.

    I would've just had Nasim, Kate, and Vanessa and just leave it at that.


    Justin, you make it sound like women in the cast are an inherent liability. Just because Casey, Mike, and Jenny didn't work out doesn't mean Aidy and Cecily will crash and burn. Watch them play before you draw judgment.

    Everyone knows this is going to be a transitional year, much like when Will and Ana left ten years ago. Everyone who pisses and moans about certain cast members being overused might see a more democratic, albeit trial-and-error praxis for the cast in Year 38. For all we know, six months from now you'll be complaining about Vanessa and Bobby being in every sketch the same way you whined about Kristen.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of JustinRAn

    JustinRAn

    [1804]Sep 10, 2012
    • member since: 12/30/09
    • level: 12
    • rank: Evil Bert
    • posts: 1,282
    HelloStuart wrote:
    JustinRAn wrote:
    Personally I wish Lorne would just stick with three women. Honestly, How has having four or five women in a cast been good? At least two fall off because of lack of roles.

    I would've just had Nasim, Kate, and Vanessa and just leave it at that.


    Justin, you make it sound like women in the cast are an inherent liability. Just because Casey, Mike, and Jenny didn't work out doesn't mean Aidy and Cecily will crash and burn. Watch them play before you draw judgment.

    Everyone knows this is going to be a transitional year, much like when Will and Ana left ten years ago. Everyone who pisses and moans about certain cast members being overused might see a more democratic, albeit trial-and-error praxis for the cast in Year 38. For all we know, six months from now you'll be complaining about Vanessa and Bobby being in every sketch the same way you whined about Kristen.


    I will not complain about Vanessa in every sketch.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Ruckhappy

    Ruckhappy

    [1805]Sep 10, 2012
    • member since: 08/03/11
    • level: 9
    • rank: Door Number 2
    • posts: 778

    JustinRAn wrote:
    Anyone wanna take bets on which lady is gonna "fall to the wayside" by January? I'm betting on Nasim, or Kate.


    I would like to bet you that none of them will, but, based on the historical Darwinism of SNL cast survival, one of the four new faces will be slow out of the gate or will struggle with adjusting to the SNL style. I'd be willing to bet you $500 cash that four out of the five women now in the cast will be doing well on the show by March (January is too soon, especially in an election year), and that one of them will be Nasim.


    Unfortunately, we won't be able to agree on a definition of "doing well" or "falling to the wayside" sufficient for an actual bet, but I'm very confident that you'll be wrong. The idea that more than three women in the cast will cancel each other out is antiquated sexism. Rather, all the new blood (who know how to work together, coming from the same or similar schools of improv) will push the marginal contributors (Fred and Jay most likely, but I'm really hoping it will be Kenan in Jay's place) to the wings.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of HelloStuart

    HelloStuart

    [1806]Sep 11, 2012
    • member since: 06/03/05
    • level: 63
    • rank: Browncoat
    • posts: 27,156

    Ruckhappy wrote:


    JustinRAn wrote:
    Anyone wanna take bets on which lady is gonna "fall to the wayside" by January? I'm betting on Nasim, or Kate.


    I would like to bet you that none of them will, but, based on the historical Darwinism of SNL cast survival, one of the four new faces will be slow out of the gate or will struggle with adjusting to the SNL style. I'd be willing to bet you $500 cash that four out of the five women now in the cast will be doing well on the show by March (January is too soon, especially in an election year), and that one of them will be Nasim.


    Unfortunately, we won't be able to agree on a definition of "doing well" or "falling to the wayside" sufficient for an actual bet, but I'm very confident that you'll be wrong. The idea that more than three women in the cast will cancel each other out is antiquated sexism. Rather, all the new blood (who know how to work together, coming from the same or similar schools of improv) will push the marginal contributors (Fred and Jay most likely, but I'm really hoping it will be Kenan in Jay's place) to the wings.


    I partially agree. It's not like Bill, Kenan, and Fred alone will carry 90% of the sketches. Worst-case scenario, we'll be seeing "J-Pop America Fun Time Now!" every other week.


    If you want an honest prediction, I see K-Mac bursting out of the gate first, than maybe Cecily.

    Edited on 09/11/2012 7:42pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of avmon

    avmon

    [1807]Sep 12, 2012
    • member since: 09/07/06
    • level: 16
    • rank: Church Lady
    • posts: 1,723
    I just read on tvguide.com-as sourced from Entertainment Weekly-that Jason Sudeikis is indeed returning this season to "SNL". Okay, now discuss...
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of TheDiamondDog

    TheDiamondDog

    [1808]Sep 12, 2012
    • member since: 06/14/05
    • level: 61
    • rank: Gold Monkey
    • posts: 19,860

    avmon wrote:
    I just read on tvguide.com-as sourced from Entertainment Weekly-that Jason Sudeikis is indeed returning this season to "SNL". Okay, now discuss...


    They do need a Mitt Romney.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Ruckhappy

    Ruckhappy

    [1809]Sep 12, 2012
    • member since: 08/03/11
    • level: 9
    • rank: Door Number 2
    • posts: 778

    I liked how the NY Times blog posting quoted Lorne as saying that Jason is "fiercely loyal to me." Uh, Lorne, he hasn't been sounding so loyal, he's seemed a little pissed off. This looks like a Mike Myers scenario: much-needed veteran returns for half a season because Lorne really needs him during a cast transition period.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of mrjimmyjames

    mrjimmyjames

    [1810]Sep 12, 2012
    • member since: 05/13/10
    • level: 7
    • rank: Talk Show Host
    • posts: 420

    HelloStuart wrote:


    Ruckhappy wrote:


    JustinRAn wrote:
    Anyone wanna take bets on which lady is gonna "fall to the wayside" by January? I'm betting on Nasim, or Kate.


    I would like to bet you that none of them will, but, based on the historical Darwinism of SNL cast survival, one of the four new faces will be slow out of the gate or will struggle with adjusting to the SNL style. I'd be willing to bet you $500 cash that four out of the five women now in the cast will be doing well on the show by March (January is too soon, especially in an election year), and that one of them will be Nasim.


    Unfortunately, we won't be able to agree on a definition of "doing well" or "falling to the wayside" sufficient for an actual bet, but I'm very confident that you'll be wrong. The idea that more than three women in the cast will cancel each other out is antiquated sexism. Rather, all the new blood (who know how to work together, coming from the same or similar schools of improv) will push the marginal contributors (Fred and Jay most likely, but I'm really hoping it will be Kenan in Jay's place) to the wings.


    I partially agree. It's not like Bill, Kenan, and Fred alone will carry 90% of the sketches. Worst-case scenario, we'll be seeing "J-Pop America Fun Time Now!" every other week.


    If you want an honest prediction, I see K-Mac bursting out of the gate first, than maybe Cecily.



    Personally, if they're all funny I see no reason why they shouldn't stay on the show. But you can't honestly think that this is what Lorne is aiming for. This has to be a result of him not being satisfied with the female performers he already has. Since the last complete reboot ('95), they have always gone with only three female cast members. For whatever reason (perceived lack of screen time from years of running the show?), he always sticks with that rule. Despite the fact that Kristen did hog the screen a little too much in recent years, I seriously doubt he wants to replace her with two repetories. This feels like an indication that he may replace more than just Kristen. This is just a continuation of the same uncertainty Lorne displayed while pitting Casey vs. Abby vs. Michaela vs.Jenny. Are we so sure he's happy with Vanessa.


    There's no way Nasim's up in the air.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Ruckhappy

    Ruckhappy

    [1811]Sep 12, 2012
    • member since: 08/03/11
    • level: 9
    • rank: Door Number 2
    • posts: 778

    mrjimmyjames wrote:


    But you can't honestly think that this is what Lorne is aiming for.


    Yes, I can.


    mrjimmyjames wrote:
    Since the last complete reboot ('95), they have always gone with only three female cast members.


    No, in 2000 and 2001 they went with four (four and a half by my accounting, because Tina actually did play in sketches sometimes). In 2008 they went into the season with five, just like this year, and have run four since that point. I think that Lorne did count Tina as a full member of the cast, so from his perspective they've had at least four women in the cast for the past twelve seasons.


    Besides, it's 2012, not 1995. They don't do Milli Vanilli sketches anymore either.


    Lorne himself has talked about how SNL becoming more women-focused and women-influenced has been one of the major changes in the show in the last decade. This is the SNL of "Bitch is the new black!"

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of JustinRAn

    JustinRAn

    [1812]Sep 12, 2012
    • member since: 12/30/09
    • level: 12
    • rank: Evil Bert
    • posts: 1,282
    Is SNL more Women focused or Woman focused?

    In those seasons, they knew long before that women were leaving the show (2000, Molly, 2001, Ana) and all 5 women from 2008 are now off the show.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of JustinRAn

    JustinRAn

    [1813]Sep 12, 2012
    • member since: 12/30/09
    • level: 12
    • rank: Evil Bert
    • posts: 1,282
    Holy Cow!!! Lorne has finally listened to almost everyone's complaint about the show:

    http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/09/12/jay-pharoah-president-obama-snl-lorne-michaels-fred-armisen/

    I know some of you think differently, but THANK GOD!!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Ruckhappy

    Ruckhappy

    [1814]Sep 13, 2012
    • member since: 08/03/11
    • level: 9
    • rank: Door Number 2
    • posts: 778

    JustinRAn wrote:
    I know some of you think differently, but THANK GOD!!


    I really don't think that anyone is going to be lining the hustings calling for the return of Fred-Bama. Which may be a little embarrassing for Fred. Frankly, take away his Obama impression and most people will look at him on SNL thinking, "Uh, why are you still here?"


    As to the number of women on the show, the five women in the cast in 2008 have been replaced by...five more women. Geez, and flivvers didn't cause the cow's milk to go bad, and giving women the vote didn't cause the downfall of the Republic.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of JustinRAn

    JustinRAn

    [1815]Sep 13, 2012
    • member since: 12/30/09
    • level: 12
    • rank: Evil Bert
    • posts: 1,282
    ^ There's at least 1 person on here that thinks Fred does a decent job.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of HelloStuart

    HelloStuart

    [1816]Sep 13, 2012
    • member since: 06/03/05
    • level: 63
    • rank: Browncoat
    • posts: 27,156
    JustinRAn wrote:
    ^ There's at least 1 person on here that thinks Fred does a decent job.

    Two people. It is a tricky impression. Jay may have the cadence down, but he probably doesn't write much topical material.

    With that said, this is your Year 38 cast:

    REPERTORY: Army, vBay, Bill, Taran, Seth, Bobby, Nasim, Jay, Suds, Kenan
    FEATURED: Aidy, K-Mac, Robbo, Cece
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.