Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

General News & Media Mentions

  • Avatar of mrjimmyjames

    mrjimmyjames

    [1817]Sep 13, 2012
    • member since: 05/13/10
    • level: 7
    • rank: Talk Show Host
    • posts: 419

    JustinRAn wrote:
    Holy Cow!!! Lorne has finally listened to almost everyone's complaint about the show: http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/09/12/jay-pharoah-president-obama-snl-lorne-michaels-fred-armisen/ I know some of you think differently, but THANK GOD!!


    It's about time. How it took Lorne this long I'll never know.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of mrjimmyjames

    mrjimmyjames

    [1818]Sep 13, 2012
    • member since: 05/13/10
    • level: 7
    • rank: Talk Show Host
    • posts: 419

    Ruckhappy wrote:


    mrjimmyjames wrote:


    But you can't honestly think that this is what Lorne is aiming for.


    Yes, I can.


    mrjimmyjames wrote:
    Since the last complete reboot ('95), they have always gone with only three female cast members.


    No, in 2000 and 2001 they went with four (four and a half by my accounting, because Tina actually did play in sketches sometimes). In 2008 they went into the season with five, just like this year, and have run four since that point. I think that Lorne did count Tina as a full member of the cast, so from his perspective they've had at least four women in the cast for the past twelve seasons.


    Besides, it's 2012, not 1995. They don't do Milli Vanilli sketches anymore either.


    Lorne himself has talked about how SNL becoming more women-focused and women-influenced has been one of the major changes in the show in the last decade. This is the SNL of "Bitch is the new black!"



    Except not really. Tina never did much more than what Seth is currently doing now. Tell me a character she was known for playing; there isn't one! Your argument about 2000 and 2001 really points out that Lorne at the time was simply doing what I'm saying it looks like he's doing now--trying to replace cast members (back then he was trying to replace Cheri and Molly). There really hasn't been any precedent on the show of having more than 3 female cast members. That's cool if he wants to add more but I'm not getting that impression. I don't see any evidence that he's doing anything different than just trying to replace cast members (and not adding more). He's adding a lot of performers and letting them duke it out for spots in the cast.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Woodstein

    Woodstein

    [1819]Sep 13, 2012
    • member since: 07/18/05
    • level: 14
    • rank: Autobot
    • posts: 773
    The problem with Fred's Obama impression isn't his inability to exactly capture the mannerisms as much as it is the feeling that he's barely trying when he does it. Even if he still has to deal with weak material, Jay should at least put some energy into the impression.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Ruckhappy

    Ruckhappy

    [1821]Sep 13, 2012
    • member since: 08/03/11
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 675

    mrjimmyjames wrote:


    There really hasn't been any precedent on the show of having more than 3 female cast members.



    I'm sorry, but I can't teach arithmetic and basic counting skills via the Internet. SNL has averaged four women in the cast since 2000. That's a third of the history of the show. That is unquestionably a precedent.


    If you want to watch SNL as a three-woman show, you'll have to put on a Best Of the First Five Years DVD this Saturday night. What has been airing the past four years, and will be going forward, is SNL as a five-woman show.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of avmon

    avmon

    [1822]Sep 13, 2012
    • member since: 09/07/06
    • level: 16
    • rank: Church Lady
    • posts: 1,626
    I admit to not minding when Armisen portrayed Obama though I'm looking forward to Jay playing Barack especially with Sudeikis as Romney during the debate sketches. There's yet to be one to match the Bush/Clinton/Perot from '92 when Hartman portrayed Bill and Carvey portrayed George-live and Ross-tape especially when they showed them looking at each other in different ways with H.W. and William Jefferson seeing Ross as one of the munchkins from The Wizard of Oz...
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of JustinRAn

    JustinRAn

    [1823]Sep 13, 2012
    • member since: 12/30/09
    • level: 12
    • rank: Evil Bert
    • posts: 1,257
    mrjimmyjames wrote:

    Except not really. Tina never did much more than what Seth is currently doing now. Tell me a character she was known for playing; there isn't one! Your argument about 2000 and 2001 really points out that Lorne at the time was simply doing what I'm saying it looks like he's doing now--trying to replace cast members (back then he was trying to replace Cheri and Molly). There really hasn't been any precedent on the show of having more than 3 female cast members. That's cool if he wants to add more but I'm not getting that impression. I don't see any evidence that he's doing anything different than just trying to replace cast members (and not adding more). He's adding a lot of performers and letting them duke it out for spots in the cast.



    Space Lesbian, Cocktail Waitress as well as numerous impressions of Paris Hilton, Paula Zahn, Bea Arthur, Janice Dickinson, Kathleen Willey, Barbara Bush, and Mary Ann Mobley

    Plus a cameo in several sketches in Season 31.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of JustinRAn

    JustinRAn

    [1825]Sep 13, 2012
    • member since: 12/30/09
    • level: 12
    • rank: Evil Bert
    • posts: 1,257
    The Jon Stewart episode.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Pulch23

    Pulch23

    [1826]Sep 13, 2012
    • member since: 12/01/09
    • level: 7
    • rank: Talk Show Host
    • posts: 158
    JustinRAn wrote:
    mrjimmyjames wrote:

    Except not really. Tina never did much more than what Seth is currently doing now. Tell me a character she was known for playing; there isn't one! Your argument about 2000 and 2001 really points out that Lorne at the time was simply doing what I'm saying it looks like he's doing now--trying to replace cast members (back then he was trying to replace Cheri and Molly). There really hasn't been any precedent on the show of having more than 3 female cast members. That's cool if he wants to add more but I'm not getting that impression. I don't see any evidence that he's doing anything different than just trying to replace cast members (and not adding more). He's adding a lot of performers and letting them duke it out for spots in the cast.



    Space Lesbian, Cocktail Waitress as well as numerous impressions of Paris Hilton, Paula Zahn, Bea Arthur, Janice Dickinson, Kathleen Willey, Barbara Bush, and Mary Ann Mobley

    Plus a cameo in several sketches in Season 31.

    You had to look up her credits, your point is invalid Justin.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of HelloStuart

    HelloStuart

    [1827]Sep 13, 2012
    • member since: 06/03/05
    • level: 63
    • rank: Browncoat
    • posts: 27,078
    Pulch23 wrote:
    JustinRAn wrote:
    mrjimmyjames wrote:

    Except not really. Tina never did much more than what Seth is currently doing now. Tell me a character she was known for playing; there isn't one! Your argument about 2000 and 2001 really points out that Lorne at the time was simply doing what I'm saying it looks like he's doing now--trying to replace cast members (back then he was trying to replace Cheri and Molly). There really hasn't been any precedent on the show of having more than 3 female cast members. That's cool if he wants to add more but I'm not getting that impression. I don't see any evidence that he's doing anything different than just trying to replace cast members (and not adding more). He's adding a lot of performers and letting them duke it out for spots in the cast.



    Space Lesbian, Cocktail Waitress as well as numerous impressions of Paris Hilton, Paula Zahn, Bea Arthur, Janice Dickinson, Kathleen Willey, Barbara Bush, and Mary Ann Mobley

    Plus a cameo in several sketches in Season 31.

    You had to look up her credits, your point is invalid Justin.

    I was going to say; those were all bit parts. Only Paula Zahn was substantial.

    Also, the Ashleigh Banfield line from the Jon Stewart/India.Arie show was supposed to be self-deprecating.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of JustinRAn

    JustinRAn

    [1828]Sep 13, 2012
    • member since: 12/30/09
    • level: 12
    • rank: Evil Bert
    • posts: 1,257
    What about the Bush daughters cold open? That was substantial. At least to me it was.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of avmon

    avmon

    [1829]Sep 14, 2012
    • member since: 09/07/06
    • level: 16
    • rank: Church Lady
    • posts: 1,626
    JustinRAn wrote:
    What about the Bush daughters cold open? That was substantial. At least to me it was.
    Oh yeah, the one with Amy. That was gold!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Ruckhappy

    Ruckhappy

    [1830]Sep 14, 2012
    • member since: 08/03/11
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 675

    Since I had a little time on my hands, I made up a quick Excel spreadsheet to crunch the average number of women in the cast in recent history. It's a little tricky to calculate the partial seasons, who was replacing who and when, because if you don't figure in the maternity leaves the numbers are way off. Anyway, I picked 1999-2012 (since we can be pretty sure the number of women this coming season will be stable) as the baseline.


    Interestingly, whether or not you count Tina as a member of the cast makes little difference:


    1999-2012 average, with Tina: 4.16


    1999-2012 average, without Tina: 3.73


    So SNL has been a four-woman show for a decade and a half, or well over a third of its history. Frankly, I think you have to count Tina as a full member of the cast because of her large influence on the show's content due to being head writer, plus Update expanded to become a larger, more personal showcase for her over her tenure.


    Really, I think 2006-2008 were outlier seasons where they only went with three women due to the writer's strike and Wiig being so strong immediately.


    The average since 2008 has been just shy of 4.5 women in the cast. So I think we can safely state that SNL has been a four-woman show for the past fifteen years, transitioning to becoming a five-women show over the past five and will be a five-woman show going forward.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of HelloStuart

    HelloStuart

    [1831]Sep 15, 2012
    • member since: 06/03/05
    • level: 63
    • rank: Browncoat
    • posts: 27,078

    Let's get pumped up, shall we?


    http://splitsider.com/2012/09/five-reasons-were-looking-forward-to-snl-this-season/

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of JustinRAn

    JustinRAn

    [1832]Sep 15, 2012
    • member since: 12/30/09
    • level: 12
    • rank: Evil Bert
    • posts: 1,257
    Aw Heck No for #5.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Ruckhappy

    Ruckhappy

    [1833]Sep 15, 2012
    • member since: 08/03/11
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 675

    Kristen won't be back as host this season. Too much backlash from her lavish departure serenade, and she won't have anything to plug except for Imogene, which can't seem to find a distributor despite having Wiig's name above the title.


    Why would they have lots of cameos for the opener? Cameos are usually associated with the host, and McFarlane's work is mostly off-screen. I suppose that Kunis or Wahlberg might cameo due to Ted. Politicians? Nobody is going to associate with Jay's Obama until he can prove that he's not a disaster. I think he'll be fine once he gets his grove but so far his impression has not been more accurate (voice, mannerisms or anything) than Fred's.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of JustinRAn

    JustinRAn

    [1834]Sep 15, 2012
    • member since: 12/30/09
    • level: 12
    • rank: Evil Bert
    • posts: 1,257
    Ruckhappy wrote:

    Kristen won't be back as host this season. Too much backlash from her lavish departure serenade, and she won't have anything to plug except for Imogene, which can't seem to find a distributor despite having Wiig's name above the title.


    Why would they have lots of cameos for the opener? Cameos are usually associated with the host, and McFarlane's work is mostly off-screen. I suppose that Kunis or Wahlberg might cameo due to Ted. Politicians? Nobody is going to associate with Jay's Obama until he can prove that he's not a disaster. I think he'll be fine once he gets his grove but so far his impression has not been more accurate (voice, mannerisms or anything) than Fred's.



    What backlash? Cause I want to see them.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of HelloStuart

    HelloStuart

    [1836]Sep 15, 2012
    • member since: 06/03/05
    • level: 63
    • rank: Browncoat
    • posts: 27,078
    Ruckhappy wrote:

    Kristen won't be back as host this season. Too much backlash from her lavish departure serenade, and she won't have anything to plug except for Imogene, which can't seem to find a distributor despite having Wiig's name above the title.


    Will Ferrell cameo'd midway through Year 28 (his first year gone) and I can see Wiigy doing the same. However, I agree in that she'll eventually host but not this season.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of mrjimmyjames

    mrjimmyjames

    [1837]Sep 15, 2012
    • member since: 05/13/10
    • level: 7
    • rank: Talk Show Host
    • posts: 419

    Ruckhappy wrote:


    I'm sorry, but I can't teach arithmetic and basic counting skills via the Internet.


    Angry much? It too bad that in your world fun difference in opinions on SNL are so serious. Relax.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of mrjimmyjames

    mrjimmyjames

    [1838]Sep 15, 2012
    • member since: 05/13/10
    • level: 7
    • rank: Talk Show Host
    • posts: 419

    rishabhpb wrote:
    JustinRAn wrote:
    mrjimmyjames wrote:


    Except not really. Tina never did much more than what Seth is currently doing now. Tell me a character she was known for playing; there isn't one! Your argument about 2000 and 2001 really points out that Lorne at the time was simply doing what I'm saying it looks like he's doing now--trying to replace cast members (back then he was trying to replace Cheri and Molly). There really hasn't been any precedent on the show of having more than 3 female cast members. That's cool if he wants to add more but I'm not getting that impression. I don't see any evidence that he's doing anything different than just trying to replace cast members (and not adding more). He's adding a lot of performers and letting them duke it out for spots in the cast.


    Space Lesbian, Cocktail Waitress as well as numerous impressions of Paris Hilton, Paula Zahn, Bea Arthur, Janice Dickinson, Kathleen Willey, Barbara Bush, and Mary Ann Mobley Plus a cameo in several sketches in Season 31.
    Meh, there's a reason that there isn't a Best of Tina Fey DVD, despite her being a popular cast member (I think). One sketch comes to mind (can't remember the host). It was some sort of politician party (an actual party) and she was supposed to be someone, but walked out saying "I shouldn't be in sketches anyway".


    The DVD would have to be all Weekend Update and Sarah Palin sketches (which occurred after she left). Despite being listed as a cast member, she really wasn't a performer. Most of her sketches were practically cameos. Justin's list just proves my point. Tina had the same type of role in the show that Dennis Miller did (WU only) and when she left she was replaced in that role by Seth (who promptly stopped appearing in sketches).

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of JustinRAn

    JustinRAn

    [1839]Sep 15, 2012
    • member since: 12/30/09
    • level: 12
    • rank: Evil Bert
    • posts: 1,257
    ^
    Except for 2 sketches during the Drew Barrymore 5 episode.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.