Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

General News & Media Mentions

  • Avatar of JustinRAn

    JustinRAn

    [1864]Nov 7, 2012
    • member since: 12/30/09
    • level: 12
    • rank: Evil Bert
    • posts: 1,246
    And sadly we won't see Kate's Anne Romney again.

    Bummer. I liked her in that role.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Ruckhappy

    Ruckhappy

    [1866]Nov 7, 2012
    • member since: 08/03/11
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 655

    The way that Up All Night is going, Maya may be available to do more Michelle Obama cameos soon.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Ruckhappy

    Ruckhappy

    [1869]Nov 19, 2012
    • member since: 08/03/11
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 655

    It was inevitable that Lorne would have to bribe Kenan to leave by developing a follow-on project of some kind. It's only a script deal so far. I have my doubt that NBC will actually greenlight a sitcom starring Kenan.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of JustinRAn

    JustinRAn

    [1870]Nov 19, 2012
    • member since: 12/30/09
    • level: 12
    • rank: Evil Bert
    • posts: 1,246
    Ruckhappy wrote:

    It was inevitable that Lorne would have to bribe Kenan to leave by developing a follow-on project of some kind. It's only a script deal so far. I have my doubt that NBC will actually greenlight a sitcom starring Kenan.



    I'm sure nobody would've thought about NBC Greenlighting a Sitcom starring Tina Fey.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Ruckhappy

    Ruckhappy

    [1871]Nov 19, 2012
    • member since: 08/03/11
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 655

    They didn't. NBC greenlighted a sitcom starring Rachel Dratch, which then became a show starring Tina Fey.


    Kenan has no track record as a film or TV star, unless you want to go back to his Nickelodeon days. He has no audience outside of SNL to bring to a sitcom as a base. Amy had a good film career going before she was cast as the lead in Parks and Tina was famous for Update, plus had turned heads as the hapless teacher in Mean Girls. Kenan, even after ten seasons on SNL, is basically a forgettable second banana.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of HelloStuart

    HelloStuart

    [1872]Nov 19, 2012
    • member since: 06/03/05
    • level: 63
    • rank: Browncoat
    • posts: 27,041
    Ruckhappy wrote:

    They didn't. NBC greenlighted a sitcom starring Rachel Dratch, which then became a show starring Tina Fey.


    Kenan has no track record as a film or TV star, unless you want to go back to his Nickelodeon days. He has no audience outside of SNL to bring to a sitcom as a base. Amy had a good film career going before she was cast as the lead in Parks and Tina was famous for Update, plus had turned heads as the hapless teacher in Mean Girls. Kenan, even after ten seasons on SNL, is basically a forgettable second banana.


    Give "Fat Albert" and "Good Burger" some credit...

    Seriously though, "30 Rock" was always Tina's project, and it would've been an entirely different series had Rachel played Jenna.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of JustinRAn

    JustinRAn

    [1873]Nov 19, 2012
    • member since: 12/30/09
    • level: 12
    • rank: Evil Bert
    • posts: 1,246
    Don't Forget Weiners and Stan Helsing.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Ruckhappy

    Ruckhappy

    [1874]Nov 19, 2012
    • member since: 08/03/11
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 655

    HelloStuart wrote:
    Seriously though, "30 Rock" was always Tina's project, and it would've been an entirely different series had Rachel played Jenna.


    Yeah, it would have been cancelled halfway through the first season. I've seen the original pilot starring Rachel. The show would have failed if they hadn't recast her part. Still, 30 Rock was originally going to be a show for Rachel.


    It's germane as proof that leaving the "lifetime" security of SNL to take a swing at a bigger gig can blow up on you. I bet you that Kenan won't want to announce that he's leaving SNL until NBC actually picks up the series for the fall. The problem is that to do a pilot I think you have to sign a multi-year contract that locks you up as a performer. Lorne has let cast go to shoot pilots before and taken them back when the series didn't get picked up--Parnell at least once. But those were cast he wanted back. Would Lorne have taken Abby back if she'd actually gotten to shoot that pilot for Fox? Likewise, if Kenan leaves SNL I'm not sure that Lorne would let him come back if his sitcom fails, even though Lorne is producing it.


    I still wonder if Lorne used his influence to get Abby cast in that pilot as a way of easing her out at SNL. Granted, it's a Fox show but Lorne has a lot of pull in the biz.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Hennes81

    Hennes81

    [1876]Nov 20, 2012
    • member since: 05/07/09
    • level: 5
    • rank: Caveman Lawyer
    • posts: 262

    rishabhpb wrote:
    From what I've heard, Ben and Kate is a pretty good show and is doing well... Abby really missed out!


    Some experts disagree:

    tvbythenumbers wrote:
    The observant will note that Ben & Kate is now predicted as certain to be canceled as its ratings slowly descend.

    Source

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of JustinRAn

    JustinRAn

    [1878]Nov 20, 2012
    • member since: 12/30/09
    • level: 12
    • rank: Evil Bert
    • posts: 1,246
    I tried sticking with B&K and dropped off after the 2nd episode. The show is horrible, To me at least.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of HelloStuart

    HelloStuart

    [1879]Nov 22, 2012
    • member since: 06/03/05
    • level: 63
    • rank: Browncoat
    • posts: 27,041
    rishabhpb wrote:
    Hennes81 wrote:

    rishabhpb wrote:
    From what I've heard, Ben and Kate is a pretty good show and is doing well... Abby really missed out!


    Some experts disagree:

    tvbythenumbers wrote:
    The observant will note that Ben & Kate is now predicted as certain to be canceled as its ratings slowly descend.

    Source



    Ah, I never really keep track of ratings.


    B&K had a hot start but couldn't keep the momentum going. Even so, Abby has that recurring role on HIMYM.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Psy4potato

    Psy4potato

    [1880]Dec 12, 2012
    • member since: 06/17/05
    • level: 10
    • rank: Holy Level 10!
    • posts: 1,399

    HelloStuart wrote:
    Ruckhappy wrote:


    They didn't. NBC greenlighted a sitcom starring Rachel Dratch, which then became a show starring Tina Fey.


    Give "Fat Albert" and "Good Burger" some credit... Seriously though, "30 Rock" was always Tina's project, and it would've been an entirely different series had Rachel played Jenna.


    I completely agree...I love Rachel Dratch...she always will be one of my SNL favorites...but Jane Krakowski is my favorite part about 30 Rock! I love that show so much, so sad to see it ending. I would love to see the unaired pilot with Rachel!

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of HelloStuart

    HelloStuart

    [1882]Dec 13, 2012
    • member since: 06/03/05
    • level: 63
    • rank: Browncoat
    • posts: 27,041
    rishabhpb wrote:
    Psy4potato wrote:

    HelloStuart wrote:
    Ruckhappy wrote:


    They didn't. NBC greenlighted a sitcom starring Rachel Dratch, which then became a show starring Tina Fey.


    Give "Fat Albert" and "Good Burger" some credit... Seriously though, "30 Rock" was always Tina's project, and it would've been an entirely different series had Rachel played Jenna.


    I completely agree...I love Rachel Dratch...she always will be one of my SNL favorites...but Jane Krakowski is my favorite part about 30 Rock! I love that show so much, so sad to see it ending. I would love to see the unaired pilot with Rachel!



    It's available online, you know. I found it last week after some Googling. It was too much of a straight-woman role with Rachel.

    I would concur. Dratchie Bear was totally wrong for the part.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of mrjimmyjames

    mrjimmyjames

    [1883]Dec 15, 2012
    • member since: 05/13/10
    • level: 7
    • rank: Talk Show Host
    • posts: 411

    Suprised to see that no one has mentioned Lorne's involvement with a sitcom starring Seth and his brother Josh yet. Seems that Lorne is really spreading the love this holiday season.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of warqueen

    warqueen

    [1884]Dec 15, 2012
    • member since: 09/23/05
    • level: 5
    • rank: Caveman Lawyer
    • posts: 323

    Here is the news article in which has the part that Lorne says Jason is staying for the rest of the season; and that he definitely wabts him to stay on beyond: http://tv.msn.com/tv/article.aspx?news=780027


    On an off-topic note, The Hollywood Reporter is saying FOX has apparently pulled both new episodes of "Family Guy" and "American Dad" Sunday night. Apparently, they both were Christmas-themed episodes that had a lot of violence, including violent scenes with kids involved. Even the 7 PM repeat of "The Cleveland Show" is being pulled, but the new 7:30 'TCS' is still airing.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Ruckhappy

    Ruckhappy

    [1885]Dec 16, 2012
    • member since: 08/03/11
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 655

    mrjimmyjames wrote:


    Suprised to see that no one has mentioned Lorne's involvement with a sitcom starring Seth and his brother Josh yet. Seems that Lorne is really spreading the love this holiday season.



    Because it was announced months ago?

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of HelloStuart

    HelloStuart

    [1886]Dec 16, 2012
    • member since: 06/03/05
    • level: 63
    • rank: Browncoat
    • posts: 27,041
    warqueen wrote:

    Here is the news article in which has the part that Lorne says Jason is staying for the rest of the season; and that he definitely wabts him to stay on beyond: http://tv.msn.com/tv/article.aspx?news=780027


    On an off-topic note, The Hollywood Reporter is saying FOX has apparently pulled both new episodes of "Family Guy" and "American Dad" Sunday night. Apparently, they both were Christmas-themed episodes that had a lot of violence, including violent scenes with kids involved. Even the 7 PM repeat of "The Cleveland Show" is being pulled, but the new 7:30 'TCS' is still airing.


    I think Lorne was joking.

    Also, the TCS episode of which Queenie refers to was an episode-length parody of "Die Hard."
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of evildevil97

    evildevil97

    [1887]Dec 18, 2012
    • member since: 10/03/05
    • level: 26
    • rank: Bow Flex
    • posts: 1,998
    Sounds like John Kerry will be the next Secretary of State. If they choose to parody him in that role, anyone think Seth Meyers will do those sketches, or will they give it to someone like Killam?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Ruckhappy

    Ruckhappy

    [1889]Dec 22, 2012
    • member since: 08/03/11
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 655

    rishabhpb wrote:
    Long, interesting interview with Seth and a bunch of SNL writers. http://splitsider.com/2012/12/watch-a-nice-long-interview-with-seth-meyers-and-the-snl-writers/


    They've been adding clips from that roundtable on Hulu for the last few weeks. It is a very interesting interview, both for what they say and what's sort of implied. Lots of interesting detail regarding the writing process for SNL aficionados. My tangential observations:


    --I really wish Marika Sawyer had said more. She's effectively the senior woman writer on the show, and the show is now heading into its second period of strong female presence in the cast.


    --Bryan Tucker and Erik Kenward sound like, honestly, writers who are out of ideas for the show.


    --I've managed writers myself and a collegial approach is mandatory for that role, but Seth doesn't sound collegial as much as disconnected. His comments just confirmed my suspicions that the writers room has been drifting on his watch.


    --This interview was taped during last season. Except for Mulaney and Chris Kelly, the participants constitute the senior core of writers this season, during which the writing staff has clearly been struggling to come up with original sketches. Keep that in mind when you consider their confident insouciance.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of HelloStuart

    HelloStuart

    [1890]Jan 8, 2013
    • member since: 06/03/05
    • level: 63
    • rank: Browncoat
    • posts: 27,041

    An analytic breakdown of Year 38 so far:


    http://splitsider.com/2013/01/snl-midseason-38-update/

    Edited on 01/08/2013 7:30am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.