Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

General News & Media Mentions

Ruckhappy

[1891]Jan 8, 2013
    • level: 8
    Eh, those Splisider commentaries on SNL are so much better than the pathetic idiocy that comprises 99.9% of criticism of the show in all forms of media, but all the more sad. They're always so late and behind the show, and so softball. There seems to be this insane conceit behind them that the writer, having some background in improv, can jab gently at SNL for the sake of bringing attention to themselves and yet still, maybe, someday get cast or hired to write for the show. As if Lorne would ever hire someone who publicly criticized the show.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

HelloStuart

[1894]Jan 12, 2013
    • level: 63
    rishabhpb wrote:
    Who knew that Nasim's sister is/was a writer on 30 Rock?

Nina Pedrad? I was vaguely aware.

JustinRAn

[1895]Jan 13, 2013
    • level: 12
    I wonder if any 30 Rock Writers will relocate to SNL since the show is done?

HelloStuart

[1896]Jan 13, 2013
    JustinRAn wrote:
    I wonder if any 30 Rock writers will relocate to SNL since the show is done?

Typically SNL scribes find work on prime time series, not the other way around. More than likely, the aforementioned Miss Pedrad and her colleagues will land on other sitcoms.

warqueen

[1897]Jan 14, 2013
    • level: 5

Well folks, how about a Kansas sized Mazel Tov for J. Sudz: http://www.upi.com/Entertainment_News/TV/2013/01/13/Sudeikis-proposes-to-Wilde/UPI-64051358097922/

Ina possible coincidence. Jason's ex wife, former '30 Rock' writer, screenplayauthorof thehit film 'Pitch Perfect' & current co-executive producer of 'New Girl', Kay Cannon, got remarried to a comedy writer out in L.A. on New Years Day.

Ruckhappy

[1898]Jan 17, 2013

HelloStuart wrote:
    JustinRAn wrote:
    I wonder if any 30 Rock writers will relocate to SNL since the show is done?
    Typically SNL scribes find work on prime time series, not the other way around. More than likely, the aforementioned Miss Pedrad and her colleagues will land on other sitcoms.

There's a significant compensation issue, too. IIRC, Lorne's "Most Favored Nations" pay policy applies to the writing staff as well, so no one is getting paid that much (except for Jim Downey, one assumes). Writing for a sitcom may be more chancy, but if you end up writing for a hit show you can make way, way more money than you would at SNL.

The star writers from 30 Rock (Burditt, Carlock, etc.) already have deals lined up to work on new shows. I wouldn't assume that Lorne or Seth would want to hire any of the less established writers from the 30 Rock staff. One of the reasons that the ratings for 30 Rock tanked so hard was that the newer writers they hired in the last couple of seasons turned out to be way less talented than the original group. The script that Nina Pedrad wrote for 30 Rock, in particular, was remarkably weak.

HelloStuart

[1899]Jan 17, 2013
    Ruckhappy wrote:

The star writers from 30 Rock (Burditt, Carlock, etc.) already have deals lined up to work on new shows. I wouldn't assume that Lorne or Seth would want to hire any of the less established writers from the 30 Rock staff. One of the reasons that the ratings for 30 Rock tanked so hard was that the newer writers they hired in the last couple of seasons turned out to be way less talented than the original group. The script that Nina Pedrad wrote for 30 Rock, in particular, was remarkably weak.

"Nothing Left to Lose" was the weakest episode of arguably 30 Rock's weakest season. She co-wrote, so I assume she can only take a percentage of the blame.

JustinRAn

[1900]Jan 31, 2013
    WOW, Have you guys heard the reviews for Movie 43 with Jason Sudeikis? Congratulations Jimmy Fallon, You have no longer been the worst recent cast member to be in a horrible movie. (I'm talking about Bucky Larson)

The movie that made Richard Roeper take the blue pill.

TheDiamondDog

[1901]Jan 31, 2013
    • level: 61

JustinRAn wrote:
    WOW, Have you guys heard the reviews for Movie 43 with Jason Sudeikis? Congratulations Jimmy Fallon, You have no longer been the worst recent cast member to be in a horrible movie. (I'm talking about Bucky Larson) The movie that made Richard Roeper take the blue pill.

Oh yeah. I've read the reviews. I remember one guy saying how if you take the worst scenes in the worst movies, that still would be better than Movie 43. And many were wondering how they got such an impressive caliber of stars to perform in such a crap film. I'm curious as to how bad is bad. Unfunny is one thing. God-awful is another.

HelloStuart

[1903]Jan 31, 2013
    rishabhpb wrote:
    TheDiamondDog wrote:

JustinRAn wrote:
    WOW, Have you guys heard the reviews for Movie 43 with Jason Sudeikis? Congratulations Jimmy Fallon, You have no longer been the worst recent cast member to be in a horrible movie. (I'm talking about Bucky Larson) The movie that made Richard Roeper take the blue pill.

Oh yeah. I've read the reviews. I remember one guy saying how if you take the worst scenes in the worst movies, that still would be better than Movie 43. And many were wondering how they got such an impressive caliber of stars to perform in such a crap film. I'm curious as to how bad is bad. Unfunny is one thing. God-awful is another.

Maybe it's just a case of a bunch of friends making a movie together and not really giving a s**t.

That's the vibe I got.

Hennes81

[1904]Feb 1, 2013

German (speaking) media websites are really proud of the success of Christoph Waltz and I think they are currently very happy when there is something good they can tell about him and his career.

But since SNL is almost completely unknown in Germany (Germans are used to watch dubbed movies and tv series and SNL wouldn't work well this way) I didn't expected a huge media response about him hosting SNL. Well, I was wrong!

To give you an idea abouthow proud Austrian and German media are about Waltz here is a hardcopy of Google News from yesterday. Totally there were about 50 or 60 different articles.

Waltz SNL Google german

Of course it's not groundbreaking news for SNL, but the show will be recognized in german speaking Europe for the first time in SNL history.

Edited on 02/01/2013 5:07pm

JustinRAn

[1905]Feb 2, 2013
    HelloStuart wrote:
    rishabhpb wrote:
    TheDiamondDog wrote:

JustinRAn wrote:

Maybe it's just a case of a bunch of friends making a movie together and not really giving a s**t.

That's the vibe I got.

The vibe I got was the director nagging a bunch of A and B list actors and Uwe Boll'ing them by shooting them cheap and quick on their schedule. And if you want a quick chuckle, Look at Peter Farelly's tweets about the film.

avmon

[1907]Feb 6, 2013
    • level: 16
    rishabhpb wrote:
    Anyone see Abby Elliott on HIMYM? Came off strongly like her character who breaks bad news to people. But that's just me.
    I did, but I was just excited it was another "Robin Sparkles" ep especially when it was revealed who she stalked! (Hint: He used to be on "SNL" and is now on a late night talk show.)

HelloStuart

[1909]Feb 19, 2013
    rishabhpb wrote:
    Cecily is on Late Night tonight. First glimpse of her not in character!

It's hard to believe that less than two years ago, she was manning the ticket booth at iO.

JustinRAn

[1910]Feb 19, 2013
    I was wondering why Late Night hasn't had many SNL Cast members as guests.

Ruckhappy

[1911]Feb 19, 2013

JustinRAn wrote:

He has Fred and Seth on all the time. He naturally seems to prefer SNL'ers with whom he worked on the show, but he's had on Jason and Bill a lot, as well as Taran and Bobby. What surprises me is that he didn't have Jay on after Jay took over the Obama impression. Hell, Letterman had Jay on as a guest before he took over Obama.

HelloStuart

[1912]Feb 20, 2013
    Ruckhappy wrote:

JustinRAn wrote:

He has Fred and Seth on all the time. He naturally seems to prefer SNL'ers with whom he worked on the show, but he's had on Jason and Bill a lot, as well as Taran and Bobby. What surprises me is that he didn't have Jay on after Jay took over the Obama impression. Hell, Letterman had Jay on as a guest before he took over Obama.

I assume availability plays the factor. Jay spent the last three summers barnstorming the country.

Hennes81

[1914]Feb 21, 2013

JustinRAn wrote:

A bold try of interpretation:
    Maybe they had planned the "JT week" for a long time and didn't wanted to promote SNL too often (since SNL is one of the rare shows on NBC which are doing fine).

Here more information about Justins week in 30 Rock:Source

Hennes81

[1915]Feb 24, 2013

Short information from a german interview with Christoph Waltz regarding SNL:

He described his hosting gig as an accolade and praised his agent as brilliant since he worked it out.
    Asked if his hosting gig was planned to remind everyone about his qualities (so they vote for them at the Oscars) he meant it wasn't a direct reason. Also his agent had asked before but the people at SNL were very reserved at first.

Ruckhappy

[1916]Feb 24, 2013
    I would translate his response as, ..."My agent had already asked before, and they were sort-of always holding back a little." I'm not sure exactly how to translate "halt immer" though. There's some nuance and vagueness about how he's relating SNL's response to his agent's first request. He sounds, auf Deutsch, almost Lorne-ish about how he's weasel-wording his description of their response.

Interesting that his agent asked for him to host. He was a somewhat unusual pick to host this season; he would have been a real outlier to host after Inglorious Basterds.