Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

General News & Media Mentions

HelloStuart

[1917]Feb 26, 2013
    • level: 63
    Ruckhappy wrote:
    Interesting that his agent asked for him to host. He was a somewhat unusual pick to host this season; he would have been a real outlier to host after Inglorious Basterds.

Nevertheless, I'm glad he hosted. There's nothing like that occasional left-field pick.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

HelloStuart

[1918]Apr 2, 2013

After a 16-year layover, the miscegenation between SNL and KITH resumes:

http://splitsider.com/2013/04/the-kids-in-the-halls-kevin-mcdonald-is-guest-writing-at-snl/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Splitsider+Splitsider

Edited on 04/02/2013 8:30am

mrjimmyjames

[1919]Apr 3, 2013
    • level: 7

HelloStuart wrote:

http://splitsider.com/2013/04/the-kids-in-the-halls-kevin-mcdonald-is-guest-writing-at-snl/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Splitsider+Splitsider

Because it worked out so well for Mark McKinney...

I feel bad for everyone on KITH, they've completely fallen off the radar especially Dave Foley. Foley's pretty depressing; hiding out in the US to avoid child support payments anduncomfortably talking about the idea of committing suicide because of those payments (which he claims happens all of the time in Canada).

Enough of mixing KITH and SNL (that well is dry), how about mixing another sketch show with SNL? Whitest Kids UKnow, Human Giant, etc.

SNL has a great history of transferring people over from pretty much every major sketch show in the last 40 years

Edited on 04/02/2013 11:38pm

HelloStuart

[1920]Apr 6, 2013
    mrjimmyjames wrote:

HelloStuart wrote:

I feel bad for everyone on KITH, they've completely fallen off the radar especially Dave Foley. Foley's pretty depressing; hiding out in the US to avoid child support payments and uncomfortably talking about the idea of committing suicide because of those payments (which he claims happens all of the time in Canada).

Enough of mixing KITH and SNL (that well is dry), how about mixing another sketch show with SNL? Whitest Kids U Know, Human Giant, etc.

SNL has a great history of transferring people over from pretty much every major sketch show in the last 40 years

SNL is often rivaled but never equaled. MADtv came the closest and even came neck-to-neck with Lorne's crew for awhile, but that show sputtered out four years ago. Ironically, no one with MADtv connections (save for teen prodigy Taran Killam) has made much of an impact on SNL; than again, the talent pool at MADtv was never that deep. The WKUK gang have already faded into obscurity.

Ruckhappy

[1921]Apr 6, 2013
    • level: 8

Kids In The Hall and SNL have had, between them, maybe five of the top ten writing staffs for sketch-writing in the history of North American television--and both were/are Lorne-produced shows. You have to respect that record.

(Your Show Of Shows is still #1, but that's an unbreakable record, like Wilt's 100-point game.)

mrjimmyjames

[1922]Apr 7, 2013

HelloStuart wrote:
    mrjimmyjames wrote:

HelloStuart wrote:

I feel bad for everyone on KITH, they've completely fallen off the radar especially Dave Foley. Foley's pretty depressing; hiding out in the US to avoid child support payments and uncomfortably talking about the idea of committing suicide because of those payments (which he claims happens all of the time in Canada).

Enough of mixing KITH and SNL (that well is dry), how about mixing another sketch show with SNL? Whitest Kids U Know, Human Giant, etc.

SNL is often rivaled but never equaled. MADtv came the closest and even came neck-to-neck with Lorne's crew for awhile, but that show sputtered out four years ago. Ironically, no one with MADtv connections (save for teen prodigy Taran Killam) has made much of an impact on SNL; than again, the talent pool at MADtv was never that deep. The WKUK gang have already faded into obscurity.

But you have to admit...there have been some great additions from other sketch shows (other than when Mark McKinney joined)...even recently and I do think the show needs to keep doing it. It would be good to add maybe one cast member from another show and I think maybe WKUK would be the one to add it from; If I remember correctly one of their cast members did write once for SNL. There's strong evidence that the show's greatly benefitied from it; there's a whole list. You mentioned Killam from Madtv but don't forget Amy Poehler came from the Upright Citizens Brigade sketch show that aired on Comedy Central. Bill Murray, Brian Doyle Murray, Chris Guest (Saturday Night Live with Howard Cosell) Martin Short (SCTV)

mrjimmyjames

[1923]Apr 7, 2013

Ruckhappy wrote:

(Your Show Of Shows is still #1, but that's an unbreakable record, like Wilt's 100-point game.)

It's pretty hard to argue with a show that had Mel Brooks, Carl Reiner, Woody Allen, and Neil Simon working on it.

Ruckhappy

[1924]Apr 7, 2013
    ...And Larry Gelbart and, of course, Caesar himself. Although I don't think she was credited, I believe that Imogene Coca did some writing for the show as well.

The all-time Murderer's Row.

mrjimmyjames

[1925]Apr 7, 2013

Ruckhappy wrote:
    ...And Larry Gelbart and, of course, Caesar himself. Although I don't think she was credited, I believe that Imogene Coca did some writing for the show as well. The all-time Murderer's Row.

I may be wrong about this but wasn't the sitcom somehow developed from that show as well?

JustinRAn

[1926]Apr 7, 2013
    • level: 12
    mrjimmyjames wrote:

HelloStuart wrote:
    mrjimmyjames wrote:

HelloStuart wrote:

But you have to admit...there have been some great additions from other sketch shows (other than when Mark McKinney joined)...even recently and I do think the show needs to keep doing it. It would be good to add maybe one cast member from another show and I think maybe WKUK would be the one to add it from; If I remember correctly one of their cast members did write once for SNL. There's strong evidence that the show's greatly benefitied from it; there's a whole list. You mentioned Killam from Madtv but don't forget Amy Poehler came from the Upright Citizens Brigade sketch show that aired on Comedy Central. Bill Murray, Brian Doyle Murray, Chris Guest (Saturday Night Live with Howard Cosell) Martin Short (SCTV)

Plus Kenan came from Nickelodeon's All That, Kate came from LOGO's Big Gay Sketch Show and, Jerry Minor came from Mr. Show

avmon

[1927]Apr 7, 2013
    • level: 16
    mrjimmyjames wrote:

Ruckhappy wrote:
    ...And Larry Gelbart and, of course, Caesar himself. Although I don't think she was credited, I believe that Imogene Coca did some writing for the show as well. The all-time Murderer's Row.

I may be wrong about this but wasn't the sitcom somehow developed from that show as well?

Yes, "The Dick Van Dyke Show".

mrjimmyjames

[1928]Apr 8, 2013

avmon wrote:
    mrjimmyjames wrote:

Ruckhappy wrote:

Yes, "The Dick Van Dyke Show".

Nope.

According to wikipedia "Originating from vaudeville, the series is historically significant for the evolution of the variety genre, by incorporating situation comedies (sitcoms) like The Hickenloopers; this added a narrative element to the traditional multi-act structure.[3]"

mrjimmyjames

[1929]Apr 8, 2013

JustinRAn wrote:
    mrjimmyjames wrote:

HelloStuart wrote:
    mrjimmyjames wrote:

HelloStuart wrote:

Plus Kenan came from Nickelodeon's All That, Kate came from LOGO's Big Gay Sketch Show and, Jerry Minor came from Mr. Show

I forgot about Kate. Larry David joined from Fridays during the Billy Crystal year. Also, there are a lot of people who left to create sketch shows like (my fave) Mr. Show (Odenkirk), Ben Stiller (Stiller, Odenkirk; Garofalo instead joined SNL later).

Edited on 04/08/2013 2:51pm

JustinRAn

[1930]Apr 9, 2013
    You need to check out her FitzWilliam character. It was funny. A Boy who wished to have a... Well you can look it up.

mrjimmyjames

[1931]Apr 18, 2013

JustinRAn wrote:
    You need to check out her FitzWilliam character. It was funny. A Boy who wished to have a... Well you can look it up.

It's like a twist on It's Pat. I wonder if there's a chance Lorne will let her bring this character to SNL?

mrjimmyjames

[1933]Apr 18, 2013

rishabhpb wrote:
    mrjimmyjames wrote:

JustinRAn wrote:

It's like a twist on It's Pat. I wonder if there's a chance Lorne will let her bring this character to SNL?

I doubt that's up to Lorne, unless he also created TBGSS.

I'm not sure how many characters have done that but I know Ed Grimley would probably be the best example.

Ruckhappy

[1934]Apr 19, 2013

rishabhpb wrote:
    mrjimmyjames wrote:

JustinRAn wrote:

That character feels like something that Kate may have come up with prior to TBGSS, in which case she'd likely own the character rights. And really, though I doubt that Lorne would push the matter, are the owners of a fairly obscure, short-lived sketch show that ran on a very obscure cable channel going to litigate against NBC over character rights?

Kate's work so far has been quite fecund enough that she doesn't need to reprise trunk characters. Judging from what she's getting on air, I'm betting that she's got a backlog of material that's been killing at the table read but hasn't made the cut yet. Plus FitzWilliam is a little too similar--in style, not substance--to Paul Brittain's Lord Wyndemere.

HelloStuart

[1935]Apr 19, 2013
    mrjimmyjames wrote:

rishabhpb wrote:
    mrjimmyjames wrote:

JustinRAn wrote:

I'm not sure how many characters have done that but I know Ed Grimley would probably be the best example.

Not to mention Jackie Rogers Jr. and Father Guido Sarducci.

JustinRAn

[1936]Apr 19, 2013
    Kristen Wiig Feels Lost

http://news.yahoo.com/kristen-wiig-talks-life-saturday-night-live-felt-221633554.html

I'm just going to post the link.

Ruckhappy

[1937]Apr 21, 2013

Hmph.