mrjimmyjames

[1938]Apr 21, 2013
    • level: 7

HelloStuart wrote:
    mrjimmyjames wrote:

rishabhpb wrote:
    mrjimmyjames wrote:

JustinRAn wrote:
    You need to check out her FitzWilliam character. It was funny. A Boy who wished to have a... Well you can look it up.

It's like a twist on It's Pat. I wonder if there's a chance Lorne will let her bring this character to SNL?

I doubt that's up to Lorne, unless he also created TBGSS.

I'm not sure how many characters have done that but I know Ed Grimley would probably be the best example.

Not to mention Jackie Rogers Jr. and Father Guido Sarducci.

I've never heard of Rogers Jr. I googled him and wow, freaky! And apparently Sarducci had first appeared on Laugh in (where Lorne came from) and the Smothers Bros.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

HelloStuart

[1939]Apr 24, 2013
    • level: 63
    mrjimmyjames wrote:

HelloStuart wrote:
    mrjimmyjames wrote:

I'm not sure how many characters have done that but I know Ed Grimley would probably be the best example.

I've never heard of Rogers Jr. I googled him and wow, freaky! And apparently Sarducci had first appeared on Laugh in (where Lorne came from) and the Smothers Bros.

Really? You don't remember Jackie on "What Up With That?" from four months ago?

JustinRAn

[1940]Apr 25, 2013
    • level: 12
    HelloStuart wrote:
    mrjimmyjames wrote:

HelloStuart wrote:
    mrjimmyjames wrote:

Let's be honest, Samuel Jackson cussing out Kenan was the highlight of that sketch (At least to me)

mrjimmyjames

[1941]Apr 27, 2013

JustinRAn wrote:
    HelloStuart wrote:
    mrjimmyjames wrote:

HelloStuart wrote:
    mrjimmyjames wrote:

Let's be honest, Samuel Jackson cussing out Kenan was the highlight of that sketch (At least to me)

Yeah, I saw that sketch but Sam Jackson was all I noticed. I think I slightly remember him, but it's not as if he's that well known of a character. His appearance in that sketch never gave me the impression that I was seeing a recurring character.

"Jimmy has fancy plans...and pants to match!" - Jimmy James

Edited on 04/26/2013 11:30pm

JustinRAn

[1942]May 12, 2013
    • level: 12
    If you don't know, Now you know. And Knowing is half the battle (Sorry, I love that catchphrase)

NBC NAMES SETH MEYERS AS HOST OF LATE NIGHT!!!!!!

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2013/05/12/nbc-names-seth-meyers-as-host-of-late-night-when-jimmy-fallon-takes-over-the-tonight-show-in-2014/182287/

Hennes81

[1943]May 13, 2013
    • level: 5

Also another SNL alumni got a new role:

From Emmy Award-winning writer/producers Dan Goor and Michael Schur ("Parks and Recreation") and starring Emmy Award winners Andy Samberg ("Saturday Night Live") and Andre Braugher ("Men of a Certain Age," "Homicide: Life on the Street"), BROOKLYN NINE-NINE is a new single-camera workplace comedy about what happens when a hotshot detective (Samberg) gets a new Captain (Braugher) with a lot to prove.

It will air Tuesdays at 8:30 at FOX next season.

mrjimmyjames

[1944]May 13, 2013

Hennes81 wrote:

From Emmy Award-winning writer/producers Dan Goor and Michael Schur ("Parks and Recreation") and starring Emmy Award winners Andy Samberg ("Saturday Night Live") and Andre Braugher ("Men of a Certain Age," "Homicide: Life on the Street"), BROOKLYN NINE-NINE is a new single-camera workplace comedy about what happens when a hotshot detective (Samberg) gets a new Captain (Braugher) with a lot to prove.

Were you only referring to Samberg or to Schur as well?

HelloStuart

[1945]May 13, 2013
    mrjimmyjames wrote:

Hennes81 wrote:

Samberg in a cop show? Um, okay.

mrjimmyjames

[1947]May 14, 2013

rishabhpb wrote:
    HelloStuart wrote:
    mrjimmyjames wrote:

Hennes81 wrote:

Samberg in a cop show? Um, okay.
    The trailer looks fantastic. It could only work as an ensemble show, but the cast looks good.

I'm surprised to see Samberg take the conservative route but passing up films for tv is, so far, looking pretty solid.

Hennes81

[1948]May 14, 2013

mrjimmyjames wrote:

I was only referring to Andy because the name didn't ring a bell for me. Since I started watching SNL regularly at the time Schumer had left I had no memory of him.
    Of course I should have checked anyway since seemingly half of TV comedy writers have some experience with SNL.

HelloStuart

[1949]May 14, 2013

It's official, y'all: Hader out.

http://tvline.com/2013/05/14/bill-hader-leaving-saturday-night-live/

Also, Michael Ausiello is speculating that this will also be Suds and Army's last show. Kenan appears to be staying for at least another year.

Hennes81

[1950]May 14, 2013

HelloStuart wrote:

Also, Michael Ausiello is speculating that this will also be Suds and Army's last show. Kenan appears to be staying for at least another year.

Didn't expected it, but it might be a wise choice to leave instead of becoming the only one of the 2005 class to stay.
    Also he should have options to get good roles. As long as Lorne isn't thinking about "Stefon - The Movie".

Hennes81

[1951]May 14, 2013

And yet another SNL alumni will have a new job next season:

They say the third time's the charm, and reformed party girl Kate (Malin Akerman) is hoping that's true when she becomes Pete's (Bradley Whitford) third wife. She fell into his arms (literally) at a karaoke bar, and a year later Kate's got an insta-family, complete with three stepchildren and two ex-wives. Diane (Marcia Gay Harden) is ex-wife number one, an intense, over-achieving doctor and the mother of twin teenagers Hillary (Gianna LePera) and Warren (Ryan Scott Lee). Diane is quick to convey her withering disapproval of Kate's barely tapped maternal instinct. Ex-wife number two, Jackie (Michaela Watkins), is mother to adopted son Bert (Albert Tsai), and can pull Pete's strings with her special blend of neurotic, new-ageyness. Juggling all this baggage is uncharted territory for Kate, who finds support with her best friend Meg (Natalie Morales), a party-hearty singleton and the only woman Kate knows who has less experience with kids than she has.

"Throphy Wife" will air Tuesdays, 9:30 on ABC.

Ruckhappy

[1952]May 14, 2013
    • level: 8

HelloStuart wrote:

Speculating, but no announcement for Suds? I would have expected him to be the first to announce his departure from SNL. My reaction was that maybe Lorne got Jason to stay yet another season by promising him Update.

If Lorne and the senior producers know that those four are leaving, i wonder if they're already talking to their top prospects from previous audition rounds to see whose available. I would think they'd like to lock up a couple of good male cast right away just to be safe.

mrjimmyjames

[1953]May 14, 2013

HelloStuart wrote:

This is bad. Hader is the always reliable impressionist and reminds me of Phil Hartman. He is the sturdybackbone of the show. I don't feel that Lorne has planned ahead enough to be able to sustain his loss. Not to mention the possible combination of Sudekis and Armisen as well. I feel that if Sudekis leaves the show would be able to sustain, but not the combination of both Hader and Armisen.

HelloStuart

[1954]May 14, 2013
    mrjimmyjames wrote:

HelloStuart wrote:

This is bad. Hader is the always reliable impressionist and reminds me of Phil Hartman. He is the sturdy backbone of the show. I don't feel that Lorne has planned ahead enough to be able to sustain his loss. Not to mention the possible combination of Sudeikis and Armisen as well. I feel that if Sudeikis leaves the show would be able to sustain, but not the combination of both Hader and Armisen.

Of the five cast members that have been connected to SNL for the last ten years (Suds was a writer in Year 29, mind you) I will probably miss Hader the most. You're right about the Hartman comparisons; Bill deftly disappears into characters and impressions like very few in SNL's history, and he's not afraid to wear a wig. Perhaps Seth, Army, Suds, and Kenan have run their course, but eight years on there's still a lot I want to see from Bill.

Ruckhappy

[1956]May 15, 2013

HelloStuart wrote:
    Perhaps Seth, Army, Suds, and Kenan have run their course, but eight years on there's still a lot I want to see from Bill.

An apt point. What is the definition of a good yeoman member of the SNL cast? Let's say it's to do one good sketch or bit that kills each show. Fair?

Bill Hader, as he leaves SNL right now, could do a whole 'nother season just mining his old SNL material for repeats and kill each week. He'd have to do some double-ups (i.e., repeat some more than once) but I bet he could do a whole season just on what he's got in his SNL trunk without losing the audience.

Who else could say that as they departed SNL?

HelloStuart

[1957]May 15, 2013
    Ruckhappy wrote:

HelloStuart wrote:
    Perhaps Seth, Army, Suds, and Kenan have run their course, but eight years on there's still a lot I want to see from Bill.

An apt point. What is the definition of a good yeoman member of the SNL cast? Let's say it's to do one good sketch or bit that kills each show. Fair?

Bill Hader, as he leaves SNL right now, could do a whole 'nother season just mining his old SNL material for repeats and kill each week. He'd have to do some double-ups (i.e., repeat some more than once) but I bet he could do a whole season just on what he's got in his SNL trunk without losing the audience.

Who else could say that as they departed SNL?

Dan Aykroyd could have gone another year. Ditto Jon Lovitz.

Ruckhappy

[1958]May 15, 2013

HelloStuart wrote:
    Ditto Jon Lovitz.

Not without strangling Lorne.

TheDiamondDog

[1959]May 15, 2013
    • level: 61

I hope Bill rehashes Vincent Price. I love that impression.