Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

General News & Media Mentions

JustinRAn

[1960]May 15, 2013
    • level: 12
    TheDiamondDog wrote:

I hope Bill rehashes Vincent Price. I love that impression.

I was more a fan of His Clint Eastwood. And Anthony Peter Coleman.

I will miss him. He seems like the only male cast member that you can tell is really having fun during sketches. Armisen looks like he's trying too hard and Thompson just looks like he's sleepwalking at this point. Taran, Jay, and Bobby don't really have much of a personality to me.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Ruckhappy

[1961]May 15, 2013
    • level: 8

JustinRAn wrote:
    He seems like the only male cast member that you can tell is really having fun during sketches.

Sadly, you touch upon the one mar upon Bill's record at SNL, that in his last couple o' seasons he developed an awful penchant for corpsing.

For the last time: breaking in a scene is a failure of the performer to maintain character. Doesn't matter how the audience reacts, it is an actor error. What particular gripes me about Bill in this regard is that he was so solid for most of his career on SNL...and then it's like he doesn't care how sloppy he is about one basic aspect of technique.

You know what happens when you break? You steal away the rest of the script from your scene partners. You're sticking everyone else in the scene with the dirty work of recreating the willing suspension of disbelief, while you gobble up the giggles from the footlings like some cheap ham-hound. Accidental corpsing, well, it's tough, but if you can't hold character right down upon the very verge of the apron with 300-400 people rolling out of their loges laughing at a line the scriptwriter put in, you aren't worth your sod. Been there, done that. Jaw-clamped, cheating upstage, surreptitiously pinching my thigh but holding character.

Bill knows better, and this is not an untoward rant. They just did another instance of that colossal corpsing idiocy, The Californians. A sketch that goes against everything Lorne espoused with regard to scene technique for decades. A sketch, perhaps the signature sketch, of his dotage, Lorne.

Come on. Ferrell can do a whole sketch with his ass cheeks hanging out of a star-spangled thong, and all of the rest of the cast mostly holds character--understandably difficult. That's worlds different from some wretchedly contrived corpsing-fest like Stefon or The Californians. The latter are the sick leavings of played-out hoofers. If all you've got left as a writer or a player is cheap corpsing to get laughs, get thee to a nunnery and belabor us with your dross no more.

Sorry, OT rant.

mrjimmyjames

[1962]May 16, 2013
    • level: 7

Ruckhappy wrote:

HelloStuart wrote:
    Ditto Jon Lovitz.

Not without strangling Lorne.

Lovitz left because Lorne wouldn't let him make "Mom and Dad Save the Universe". Was there more to it than that? If so, I'd love to hear about it.

JustinRAn

[1963]May 17, 2013
    Ruckhappy wrote:

JustinRAn wrote:
    He seems like the only male cast member that you can tell is really having fun during sketches.

Sadly, you touch upon the one mar upon Bill's record at SNL, that in his last couple o' seasons he developed an awful penchant for corpsing.

For the last time: breaking in a scene is a failure of the performer to maintain character. Doesn't matter how the audience reacts, it is an actor error. What particular gripes me about Bill in this regard is that he was so solid for most of his career on SNL...and then it's like he doesn't care how sloppy he is about one basic aspect of technique.

You know what happens when you break? You steal away the rest of the script from your scene partners. You're sticking everyone else in the scene with the dirty work of recreating the willing suspension of disbelief, while you gobble up the giggles from the footlings like some cheap ham-hound. Accidental corpsing, well, it's tough, but if you can't hold character right down upon the very verge of the apron with 300-400 people rolling out of their loges laughing at a line the scriptwriter put in, you aren't worth your sod. Been there, done that. Jaw-clamped, cheating upstage, surreptitiously pinching my thigh but holding character.

Bill knows better, and this is not an untoward rant. They just did another instance of that colossal corpsing idiocy, The Californians. A sketch that goes against everything Lorne espoused with regard to scene technique for decades. A sketch, perhaps the signature sketch, of his dotage, Lorne.

Come on. Ferrell can do a whole sketch with his ass cheeks hanging out of a star-spangled thong, and all of the rest of the cast mostly holds character--understandably difficult. That's worlds different from some wretchedly contrived corpsing-fest like Stefon or The Californians. The latter are the sick leavings of played-out hoofers. If all you've got left as a writer or a player is cheap corpsing to get laughs, get thee to a nunnery and belabor us with your dross no more.

Sorry, OT rant.

When I said "Have Fun," I meant "not sleepwalking through it." He seems to me like he's there cause he wants to be there, Not just cause he is there. I am not referring to him corpsing. Look at the Al Pacino Murder Biopics for example, or Anthony Peter Coleman or Lids or His Clint Eastwood bits.

Ruckhappy

[1964]May 18, 2013
    • level: 8

Bill wasn't in the Lids sketch.

Bill has talked about feeling more relaxed on SNL the last couple of years, and I did think that was partially why he'd stay for a ninth season. I didn't realize that his wife was getting more serious about doing comedy projects though. When you look at how both their careers are headed now, it makes sense that he's leaving.

JustinRAn

[1965]May 18, 2013
    He danced at the beginning.

TheDiamondDog

[1966]May 23, 2013
    • level: 61

So, apparently MacGruber II might be a thing.

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/news/will-forte-says-macgruber-2-is-coming-20130523?utm_source=dailynewsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter

Ugh, I wish I could change my sig. Still broken.

JustinRAn

[1968]May 24, 2013
    WOW. Don't films have to do well for a sequel? I guess this means Last Airbender 2 can happen then.

HelloStuart

[1969]May 24, 2013
    • level: 63
    JustinRAn wrote:
    WOW. Don't films have to do well for a sequel? I guess this means Last Airbender 2 can happen then.

Even Forte admits "MacGruber" wasn't exactly a box office smash. At the same time, the movie has found a cult following of sorts and there might be enough interest to merit a second adventure. Plus, it was made on a fraction of the budget "Airbender" had. Not to play devil's advocate, but "Mac 2" could be a low-risk, small-payoff challenge a major studio might be willing to accept.

evildevil97

[1970]May 27, 2013
    • level: 26
    Wiig has a recurring role in the new season of Arrested Development.

mrjimmyjames

[1971]May 28, 2013

HelloStuart wrote:
    JustinRAn wrote:
    Even Forte admits "MacGruber" wasn't exactly a box office smash. At the same time, the movie has found a cult following of sorts and there might be enough interest to merit a second adventure. Plus, it was made on a fraction of the budget "Airbender" had. Not to play devil's advocate, but "Mac 2" could be a low-risk, small-payoff challenge a major studio might be willing to accept.

I finally got around to watching it and I have to admit it was not bad. But not exactly Citizen Kane though or Wayne's World for that matter. A comedy action flick is not a bad idea for an SNL film. I'd be surprised to see it go to anything other than Straight to DVD. It'd be good to see Will in something else though. I see he's got a film coming out with Bruce Dern.

mrjimmyjames

[1972]May 28, 2013

evildevil97 wrote:

Yeah, I can't really see her as Lucille. Not sexy enough I guess. And Seth didn't convince me at all as George Sr.

Royce7815

[1975]May 30, 2013
    • level: 3

mrjimmyjames wrote:

evildevil97 wrote:

Yeah, I can't really see her as Lucille. Not sexy enough I guess. And Seth didn't convince me at all as George Sr.

Well, you never know i mean after all they said the same thing when she took over Lola bunny.........

JustinRAn

[1976]May 31, 2013
    Royce7815 wrote:

mrjimmyjames wrote:

evildevil97 wrote:

Well, you never know i mean after all they said the same thing when she took over Lola bunny.........

God, Wiig is so annoying as Lola. I feel she just slows the show down when she's on.

mrjimmyjames

[1977]Jun 1, 2013

JustinRAn wrote:
    Royce7815 wrote:

mrjimmyjames wrote:

evildevil97 wrote:

God, Wiig is so annoying as Lola. I feel she just slows the show down when she's on.

However I amloving Henry Winkler's son's impression of a young Barry Zuckerkorn.

HelloStuart

[1978]Jun 14, 2013
    • level: 63

This weekend in Chicago...

http://www.chicagoreader.com/Bleader/archives/2013/06/14/knuckleheads-tim-robinson-aidy-bryant-and-cecily-strong-at-just-for-laughs

Hennes81

[1979]Jun 28, 2013
    • level: 5

SNL found a "new" home in Salt Lake City...

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2013/06/28/salt-lake-city-nbc-station-will-finally-carry-saturday-night-live/189565/

Maybe one scandal per year (Djesus Unchained) isn't enough for KSL. Is Sinead O'Connor eligible as musical guest next season?Wink

Edited on 06/28/2013 10:32am

JustinRAn

[1980]Jun 28, 2013
    Hennes81 wrote:

SNL found a "new" home in Salt Lake City...

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2013/06/28/salt-lake-city-nbc-station-will-finally-carry-saturday-night-live/189565/

Maybe one scandal per year (Djesus Unchained) isn't enough for KSL. Is Sinead O'Connor eligible as musical guest next season?Wink

Well Uncle Fester/Sine-Aid O'Conner/Sinbad O'Conner/Cue-Ball had an album come out in 2012. Maybe if she comes on, Joe Pesci can smack her.

avmon

[1981]Jul 1, 2013
    • level: 16
    I just read on tvguide.com that Fred Armisen is indeed leaving SNL to devote more time to Portlandia, which has been renewed for two more seasons. Mostly enjoyed his unique characterizations though I definitely won't miss his Garth of Kat and Garth.

Woodstein

[1982]Jul 1, 2013
    • level: 14
    I was under the impression that Fred leaving was a given, although whether or not Jason and Seth were going to stay had yet to be figured out.