Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

General News & Media Mentions

mrjimmyjames

[1983]Jul 1, 2013
    • level: 7

avmon wrote:
    I just read on tvguide.com that Fred Armisen is indeed leaving SNL to devote more time to Portlandia, which has been renewed for two more seasons. Mostly enjoyed his unique characterizations though I definitely won't miss his Garth of Kat and Garth.

Yeah, I really felt like he went out as a strong, marquee cast member in his last season. Unlike previous seasons, he was a major reason to watch the show. And I think a lot of it was addition by subtraction, no questionable sketches to weigh him down like Garth and Kat or his bad impression of Obama. For years he has sort of had too many bad sketches weighing him down, preventing him from really breaking out.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

mrjimmyjames

[1984]Jul 1, 2013

Woodstein wrote:
    I was under the impression that Fred leaving was a given, although whether or not Jason and Seth were going to stay had yet to be figured out.

Jason is the only mystery left but I would say that he's probably gone due to his appearance in the Ian Rubbish sketch with Bill and Fred. Seth leaves halfway through next year.

I don't think Lorne wants to give up on keeping these guys until it's the last minute in September.

Ruckhappy

[1985]Jul 1, 2013
    • level: 9

mrjimmyjames wrote:
    Jason is the only mystery left but I would say that he's probably gone due to his appearance in the Ian Rubbish sketch with Bill and Fred. Seth leaves halfway through next year.

I would guess that either:

A) Jason has already told Lorne whether he's leaving or staying and Lorne is waiting to announce the news as part of the usual SNL cast changes announcement in August.

Or...

B) Jason is waiting to see how We're The Millers does at the box office to decide on whether to jump.

mrjimmyjames wrote:
    I don't think Lorne wants to give up on keeping these guys until it's the last minute in September.

If that were true, Lorne would have to wait until the last second to sign three replacement cast bodies for the fall, which is obviously impractical. As a general rule, he must usually get contract extensions signed by vets July-ish in order to handle the casting process in an orderly fashion. This summer he can hold open a cast slot for Jason because they don't really need to hire anyone new. They can hire a couple of new bodies (presumably this month or early August) to replace Fred and Bill and be nominally set for next season.

JustinRAn

[1986]Jul 1, 2013
    • level: 12
    mrjimmyjames wrote:

avmon wrote:
    I just read on tvguide.com that Fred Armisen is indeed leaving SNL to devote more time to Portlandia, which has been renewed for two more seasons. Mostly enjoyed his unique characterizations though I definitely won't miss his Garth of Kat and Garth.

Yeah, I really felt like he went out as a strong, marquee cast member in his last season. Unlike previous seasons, he was a major reason to watch the show. And I think a lot of it was addition by subtraction, no questionable sketches to weigh him down like Garth and Kat or his bad impression of Obama. For years he has sort of had too many bad sketches weighing him down, preventing him from really breaking out.

Especially all 100 of his Weekend Update stand-up characters (Though I didn't mind Show Biz Grande Explosion)

Hennes81

[1987]Jul 5, 2013
    • level: 5

FOX tries to become the new NBC?

http://www.deadline.com/2013/06/john-mulaneys-nbc-comedy-pilot-eyes-series-pickup-at-fox-with-script-order/

HelloStuart

[1988]Jul 6, 2013
    • level: 63

SETH IS ENGAGED... to a woman.

http://wonderwall.msn.com/tv/seth-meyers-engaged-to-girlfriend-alexi-ashe-1759719.story?ocid=answw11

Ruckhappy

[1989]Jul 8, 2013

Hennes81 wrote:

http://www.deadline.com/2013/06/john-mulaneys-nbc-comedy-pilot-eyes-series-pickup-at-fox-with-script-order/

Well, NBC is going to look pretty damn stupid if Samberg's new show turns out to be a hit and Fox manages to makeover Mulaney's show into a success. I was always iffy about Mulaney headlining a sitcom, but as finally realized his show seemed like a better bet than a rather generic-seeming Sean Hayes vehicle.

JustinRAn

[1990]Jul 8, 2013
    Ruckhappy wrote:

Hennes81 wrote:

Well, NBC is going to look pretty damn stupid if Samberg's new show turns out to be a hit and Fox manages to makeover Mulaney's show into a success. I was always iffy about Mulaney headlining a sitcom, but as finally realized his show seemed like a better bet than a rather generic-seeming Sean Hayes vehicle.

As much as I love her, The Mindy Project is just so-so. And does anyone really think Brooklyn Nine Nine is going to be a hit? Maybe if it was a Sketch Comedy show with his Lonely Island Posse maybe, But I don't see a hit personally. TBH, I didn't think Rules of Engagement would last as long as it did.

mrjimmyjames

[1991]Jul 8, 2013

[QUOTE="JustinRAn"]

Ruckhappy wrote:

Hennes81 wrote:

As much as I love her, The Mindy Project is just so-so. And does anyone really think Brooklyn Nine Nine is going to be a hit? Maybe if it was a Sketch Comedy show with his Lonely Island Posse maybe, But I don't see a hit personally. TBH, I didn't think Rules of Engagement would last as long as it did.

I guess it's a question of what a hit is. With ratings at record lows, it's hard to tell anymore and shows with great buzz and critical acclaim seem to be able to renewed anyway despite lackluster ratings. Is Parks and Rec a hit? No. But it's been on for how many years? At least on the surface Brooklyn Nine Nine appears to a future critical hit with Samberg and Michael Schur.

mrjimmyjames

[1992]Jul 8, 2013

Ruckhappy wrote:

Hennes81 wrote:

That Thursday night lineup for NBC is embarrasing. And this could be very huge casting news if it's picked up. Nasim will leave. And I think Mulaney has to be a top prospect for Update, which I guess will change anchors in the spring.

mrjimmyjames

[1993]Jul 8, 2013

JustinRAn wrote:
    mrjimmyjames wrote:

avmon wrote:

Especially all 100 of his Weekend Update stand-up characters (Though I didn't mind Show Biz Grande Explosion)

Is there anyone who actually liked Nicholas Fehn? I always found people to hate him.

mrjimmyjames

[1994]Jul 8, 2013

Ruckhappy wrote:

mrjimmyjames wrote:

If that were true, Lorne would have to wait until the last second to sign three replacement cast bodies for the fall, which is obviously impractical. As a general rule, he must usually get contract extensions signed by vets July-ish in order to handle the casting process in an orderly fashion. This summer he can hold open a cast slot for Jason because they don't really need to hire anyone new. They can hire a couple of new bodies (presumably this month or early August) to replace Fred and Bill and be nominally set for next season.

I'm not saying that he would wait to hire replacements, that is impractical. But icould see Lorne hiring new cast members now irregardless of whether or not Jason leaves (depends on the budget of course and whether or not Lorne believes someone new needs to be added). And then if he does in fact leave well, good Lorne has stayed ahead of the curve.

My basis for Lorne not giving up on guys comes from the fact that Jason seemed to be playing hardball with Lorne in the press last fall and announced his intentions very late. Not to mention the retracted statements made by Jay a month ago contragulating Jason after his departure. Or statements made by Lorne recently.

HelloStuart

[1995]Jul 10, 2013
    • level: 63
    mrjimmyjames wrote:

JustinRAn wrote:
    mrjimmyjames wrote:

avmon wrote:

Is there anyone who actually liked Nicholas Fehn? I always found people to hate him.

Fehn was okay, though he really didn't merit appearing more than two or three times. Part of me wishes he was a little more incredulous with each passing commentary.

JustinRAn

[1996]Jul 10, 2013
    HelloStuart wrote:
    mrjimmyjames wrote:

JustinRAn wrote:
    mrjimmyjames wrote:

avmon wrote:

Fehn was okay, though he really didn't merit appearing more than two or three times. Part of me wishes he was a little more incredulous with each passing commentary.

Or wouldn't die his hair blonde and join Wiig to sing about Holiday's

JustinRAn

[1997]Jul 10, 2013
    OH MY GOSH!!!!!!

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/jason-sudeikis-final-season-snl-579804

That leaves Bobby and Taran as the Token white guys. Seth doesn't count.

mrjimmyjames

[1999]Jul 11, 2013

I wish he'd go ahead announce his departure. Two years of this already. Enough! As great as he is, this endless speculation makes desperate for him to leave.

Hennes81

[2000]Jul 12, 2013
    • level: 5

mrjimmyjames wrote:

I wish he'd go ahead announce his departure. Two years of this already. Enough! As great as he is, this endless speculation makes desperate for him to leave.

The speculations didn't change anything for me. I would have loved if he would have stayed another year but obviously it's the right choice for his movie career.
    I'm just wondering why he doesn't mentioned it before the season finale like Hader oder showed it at the episode like Armisen. Maybe he just don't wanted this big public goodbye?

mrjimmyjames

[2001]Jul 13, 2013

Hennes81 wrote:

mrjimmyjames wrote:

The speculations didn't change anything for me. I would have loved if he would have stayed another year but obviously it's the right choice for his movie career.
    I'm just wondering why he doesn't mentioned it before the season finale like Hader oder showed it at the episode like Armisen. Maybe he just don't wanted this big public goodbye?

That's what I prefer for them to do. Armisen did it well, and so did Hader. But Jay's tweet about Jason's departure was immediately removed.

Ruckhappy

[2002]Jul 13, 2013

Hennes81 wrote:

I no longer endorse the idea of the still talented and productive vets like Bill and Jason sticking around for more than 7 seasons. Not as a general rule. What's come out recently in interviews is that Bill and Jason weren't working full-time during show weeks. I think that showed in a fall off of quality in their work, and it was sad to see. The heart of creating SNL is the Monday and Tuesday pitching and writing jag. If you're only coming in starting with the Wednesday table read, you're not really a full part of creating the show. I loved the Hader who was the second coming of Phil Hartman, but Hartman was a true writer-performer, and Hader was not such last season. Even just his sketch acting suffered for lack of rehearsal.

It would have been better for Bill to have left before last season and his airtime given to Tim Robinson.

mrjimmyjames

[2003]Jul 15, 2013

Ruckhappy wrote:

Hennes81 wrote:

I no longer endorse the idea of the still talented and productive vets like Bill and Jason sticking around for more than 7 seasons. Not as a general rule. What's come out recently in interviews is that Bill and Jason weren't working full-time during show weeks. I think that showed in a fall off of quality in their work, and it was sad to see. The heart of creating SNL is the Monday and Tuesday pitching and writing jag. If you're only coming in starting with the Wednesday table read, you're not really a full part of creating the show. I loved the Hader who was the second coming of Phil Hartman, but Hartman was a true writer-performer, and Hader was not such last season. Even just his sketch acting suffered for lack of rehearsal.

It would have been better for Bill to have left before last season and his airtime given to Tim Robinson.

Yeah, I think it was much better when the contracts were closer to 5 or 6 years. It used to be that eras would change every five or six years. It kept the show so fresh. IMO this past season was the eighth season for the current era, which I tend to refer to as the Digital Era and think it began in 06-07. That's long overdue for change and Lorne has apparently gotten more lenient on the cast members. ( i can't believe he paid as much as he did for Will Ferrell and allowed him to do a movie) And it's probably not good for the show.