Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

General News & Media Mentions

HelloStuart

[2055]Sep 25, 2013
    • level: 63
    Ruckhappy wrote:

Yeah, but it's been on the air for 38 seasons so it should have won a pile of Emmys over the years Actually, SNL has been getting jobbed by how it is categorized for Emmy nominations. Putting it up against The Daily Show is unfair.

Even though TDS was shut out this year.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

JustinRAn

[2056]Sep 29, 2013
    • level: 12
    HelloStuart wrote:
    Ruckhappy wrote:

Yeah, but it's been on the air for 38 seasons so it should have won a pile of Emmys over the years Actually, SNL has been getting jobbed by how it is categorized for Emmy nominations. Putting it up against The Daily Show is unfair.

Even though TDS was shut out this year.

I love the Daily Show but honestly the show is almost the same show after show. Glad the Colbert Report won.

Hennes81

[2057]Oct 2, 2013
    • level: 5

Last season someone asked about when to be in line to get stand-by tickets to the show. I don't know if the Tina Fey / Arcade Fire episode is a good benchmark but based on this report you should think about being there on Friday morning or even Thursday.

http://www.complex.com/pop-culture/2013/09/saturday-night-live-camp-out-tips

avmon

[2058]Oct 2, 2013
    • level: 16
    Testing to see if I can reach the last page of this thread by posting a comment...

avmon

[2059]Oct 2, 2013
    • level: 16
    Apparently not...

JustinRAn

[2060]Oct 2, 2013
    Mulaney gets a show. No word yet if Nasim is joining.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2013/10/02/fox-gives-series-order-to-multi-camera-comedy-mulaney-starring-john-mulaney-martin-short/206511/

mrjimmyjames

[2061]Oct 12, 2013
    • level: 7

JustinRAn wrote:
    Mulaney gets a show. No word yet if Nasim is joining. http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2013/10/02/fox-gives-series-order-to-multi-camera-comedy-mulaney-starring-john-mulaney-martin-short/206511/

Let's hope Fox actually airs this one, instead of burning it off during the summer like The Goodwin Games. I don't know, I still think it would be better for Mulaney's career if Lorne were to let Seth go completely to Late Night instead of trying to hold on to him (b/c let's face it that's going to happen eventually) and replace him with Mulaney. Lorne has this crazy idea that he's going to be able to keep Seth on WU but the truth is it's really time for a change and he'd be best to keep the segment run by a dual anchorship.

I don't trust Fox on this and it would probably much better for all involved for something like this to happen. But I just don't see it...

JustinRAn

[2062]Oct 12, 2013
    I wonder why NBC passed on the show. A Kinda well know comedian, Martin Short, Multi Camera, and an SNL Cast member people kinda know.

Sounds like a good show.

mrjimmyjames

[2063]Oct 15, 2013

JustinRAn wrote:
    I wonder why NBC passed on the show. A Kinda well know comedian, Martin Short, Multi Camera, and an SNL Cast member people kinda know. Sounds like a good show.

Sounds better than Sean Saves the World and Welcome to the Family.

Hennes81

[2064]Nov 14, 2013
    • level: 5

NBC will have another Variety Show produced by Lorne. And the SNL alumni in the lead will be.... Maya Rudolph.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2013/11/13/nbc-orders-pilot-for-variety-show-hosted-by-maya-rudolph/215530/#comments

mrjimmyjames

[2065]Nov 17, 2013

Hennes81 wrote:

NBC will have another Variety Show produced by Lorne. And the SNL alumni in the lead will be.... Maya Rudolph.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2013/11/13/nbc-orders-pilot-for-variety-show-hosted-by-maya-rudolph/215530/#comments

I like Maya, but only in smaller doses (for ex. I can't stand when she sings). To me, her schtick got old only a few years after she joined the show. Her departure from SNL was long overdue. I can't imagine how irritating this show will end up being.

HelloStuart

[2066]Nov 17, 2013
    mrjimmyjames wrote:

Hennes81 wrote:

I like Maya, but only in smaller doses (for ex. I can't stand when she sings). To me, her schtick got old only a few years after she joined the show. Her departure from SNL was long overdue. I can't imagine how irritating this show will end up being.

I saw people write the same thing about Tina with "30 Rock" and Amy with "Parks & Rec." Let's wait and see.

JustinRAn

[2067]Nov 17, 2013
    To be honest 30 Rock's Last 2 Seasons was less than stellar.

People said the same thing about Rosie Live and MacGruber The Movie.

Ruckhappy

[2068]Nov 18, 2013
    • level: 8

HelloStuart wrote:
    Let's wait and see.

No, we don't have to do that. Maya is extremely talented and it's just nonsense to claim that she has little to offer as a post-SNL performer, especially given her excellent and varied work as a member of the SNL cast throughout her tenure on the show. She was undeniably good in Bridesmaids, which was quite the meaty supporting role, and she's done other good film work since she left SNL.

We can say that asking her to carry a variety show is an extremely dubious proposition, but that's the fault of the premise, not of the performer.

I also have to question whether she has the energy and focus for a weekly TV show of any format at the moment. She has two toddlers and a baby at home, and even with hot-and-cold running nannies any conscientious mother (which I assume her to be) would be frazzled as hell by the demands of three little ones. I think she would be best served sticking with occasional film work until her three youngest are out of diapers.

JustinRAn

[2069]Nov 18, 2013
    Maybe she'll take her kids to work with her? I doubt her Variety show will be extremely raunchy.

HelloStuart

[2070]Nov 19, 2013
    JustinRAn wrote:
    To be honest 30 Rock's last two seasons was less than stellar.

People said the same thing about Rosie Live and MacGruber The Movie.

Still doing the random capitalization thing, I see...

I'm watching season 7 of "30 Rock" over again and I think it holds up. Season 6 was uneven but not without its moments.

Ruckhappy

[2071]Nov 19, 2013
    • level: 8

If you check the credits, in Season 7 Fey sidelined the sub-par new writers she'd brought in for Seasons 5 and 6. The last half-season was mostly written by the original core of great writers for 30 Rock: Carlock (also ex-SNL), Burditt, Hubbard, Wigfield, etc. Sadly, Kay Cannon (AKA the former Mrs. Jason Sudeikis) did not come back to pen a last 30 Rock script. The overall difference in script quality was quite noticeable.

mrjimmyjames

[2072]Nov 21, 2013

HelloStuart wrote:
    mrjimmyjames wrote:

Hennes81 wrote:

I saw people write the same thing about Tina with "30 Rock" and Amy with "Parks & Rec." Let's wait and see.

Both are superior to Maya by significant margins, but Tina is at least ten times funnier. I think she's brilliant and has a superior wit compared to someone who would often appear in lazy sketches with intentionally bad singing. I'd take Molly Shannon and Cheri Oteri over her as well.

Edited on 11/21/2013 9:17pm

mrjimmyjames

[2073]Nov 21, 2013

HelloStuart wrote:
    JustinRAn wrote:
    To be honest 30 Rock's last two seasons was less than stellar. People said the same thing about Rosie Live and MacGruber The Movie.
    Still doing the random capitalization thing, I see... I'm watching season 7 of "30 Rock" over again and I think it holds up. Season 6 was uneven but not without its moments.

I agree.

HelloStuart

[2074]Nov 22, 2013
    mrjimmyjames wrote:

HelloStuart wrote:
    mrjimmyjames wrote:

Hennes81 wrote:

Both are superior to Maya by significant margins, but Tina is at least ten times funnier. I think she's brilliant and has a superior wit compared to someone who would often appear in lazy sketches with intentionally bad singing. I'd take Molly Shannon and Cheri Oteri over her as well.

I'll let Cheri know that after she gets off her shift at Whataburger.