Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

Have an SNL question? Ask Stu!

avmon

[2079]Sep 21, 2014
    • level: 17

kenkenfreak wrote:

Hi Stu, I'm hoping you can help.... I have been looking quite some time now for a particular SNL episode that contains a hilarious ice cream parlor sketch. It goes like this...

Belushi is the server at a ice cream parlor, and a couple walk up to get an ice cream cone. Each time Belushi goes to get their ice cream cone, he stops and asks yet one more question. Chocolate or vanilla? One or two scoops? etc etc until finally he has enough info to make the cone. Then Belushi turns around and and sheepishly asks "sugar or waffle cone?", all eyes are on the couple who freeze up. Sirens go off like it's an air raid, the light display goes on/off, ending with Belushi breaking a bunch of light bulbs until the couple finally answer the question.

I can't remember if it was John Belushi, Jim Belushi, I'm getting old maybe it wasn't Belushi at all - before I lose my mind completely please help!

KenKenFreak

I remembered that filmed bit and I know it was Jim Belushi. I also remembered it aired during the 1983-84 season, possibly near the end of the season. Billy Crystal may have been the host with Al Jarreau as the musical guest. I had last seen this during "The Eddie Murphy Experience" marathon on Comedy Central during the '90s when Murphy appeared in some in-between-breaks promos talking about his SNL experience during the time Beverly Hills Cop III was coming out...

Edited on 09/21/2014 10:17am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

HelloStuart

[2080]Sep 21, 2014
    • level: 63
    avmon wrote:

kenkenfreak wrote:

Hi Stu, I'm hoping you can help.... I have been looking quite some time now for a particular SNL episode that contains a hilarious ice cream parlor sketch. It goes like this...

Belushi is the server at a ice cream parlor, and a couple walk up to get an ice cream cone. Each time Belushi goes to get their ice cream cone, he stops and asks yet one more question. Chocolate or vanilla? One or two scoops? etc etc until finally he has enough info to make the cone. Then Belushi turns around and and sheepishly asks "sugar or waffle cone?", all eyes are on the couple who freeze up. Sirens go off like it's an air raid, the light display goes on/off, ending with Belushi breaking a bunch of light bulbs until the couple finally answer the question.

I can't remember if it was John Belushi, Jim Belushi, I'm getting old maybe it wasn't Belushi at all - before I lose my mind completely please help!

KenKenFreak

I remembered that filmed bit and I know it was Jim Belushi. I also remembered it aired during the 1983-84 season, possibly near the end of the season. Billy Crystal may have been the host with Al Jarreau as the musical guest. I had last seen this during "The Eddie Murphy Experience" marathon on Comedy Central during the '90s when Murphy appeared in some in-between-breaks promos talking about his SNL experience during the time Beverly Hills Cop III was coming out...

Yeah, it was definitely Jim Belushi, not his older brother. It was "Cone or Cup," which didn't appear in a live show but replaced other filmed sketches in repeats. It was produced during Year 9 and repeated several times in the summers of 1984 and 1985.

kenkenfreak

[2081]Sep 22, 2014
    • level: 1
    WOW. This info was not easily available on the internet, I've tried. Thanks avmon and Stu you guys are the greatest, I got my answer and more.

Psy4potato

[2082]Nov 5, 2014
    • level: 10
    Hi Stu,

Quick Question: The 'Women in the Work Place' sketch with Cecily and Kate....was that recurred from last season? I could have sworn I've seen another one of the those sketches.....it was my favorite sketch of the Chris Rock episode, but I'd love to google the other one I just can't find the episode it was in (unless I'm way off and there wasn't another one of those).

Thanks in advance!

Ruckhappy

[2083]Nov 7, 2014
    • level: 9

Repeated from the Melissa McCarthy episode two seasons ago: http://snltranscripts.jt.org/12/12qart.phtml.

HelloStuart

[2084]Nov 7, 2014
    Ruckhappy wrote:

Repeated from the Melissa McCarthy episode two seasons ago: http://snltranscripts.jt.org/12/12qart.phtml.

Additionally, Taran reprised his character from the previous sketch.

Psy4potato

[2085]Nov 12, 2014
    • level: 10
    Thank you both!

Royce7815

[2086]Nov 13, 2014
    • level: 4

HelloStuart wrote:
    Ruckhappy wrote:

Additionally, Taran reprised his character from the previous sketch.

I think he just reprised that awsome sweater.

Edited on 11/13/2014 8:18am

JustinRAn

[2087]Dec 22, 2014
    • level: 12
    2 Questions:

1. What is up with the term "Rebuilding"?
    2. Has Lorne ever said it before regarding the cast?

HelloStuart

[2088]Dec 23, 2014
    JustinRAn wrote:
    Two questions:

1. What is up with the term "Rebuilding"?
    2. Has Lorne ever said it before regarding the cast?

Lorne and TV critics alike, yes. Would you prefer to call it a youth movement?

JustinRAn

[2089]Dec 30, 2014
    What writer did Cheri base her office flirt character on? My guess would be Steve Higgens or Mervin Watson

HelloStuart

[2090]Jan 1, 2015
    JustinRAn wrote:
    What writer did Cheri base her office flirt character on? My guess would be Steve Higgins or Mervin Watson

Are you referring to "Adele, the Office Skank" from Year 25?

JustinRAn

[2091]Jan 2, 2015
    Yeah. Cheri and Lyle Jackson called it Office Flirt in the DVD Commentary.

HelloStuart

[2092]Jan 3, 2015
    JustinRAn wrote:
    Yeah. Cheri and Lyle Jackson called it "Office Flirt" in the DVD commentary.

I don't really think its based on anyone in particular. Both the bit that Higgins does on Fallon's show as well as "Merv the Perv" came to be several years after Cheri abruptly left the show. At the same time, it's not that hard to create a character that's overly sexual to the point of creepy.

JustinRAn

[2093]Jan 8, 2015
    The character was based on a writer on the show there who did horrible double-entendre's and then explained them. Both of them admitted it. They didn't say who it was though.

HelloStuart

[2094]Jan 11, 2015
    JustinRAn wrote:
    The character was based on a writer on the show there who did horrible double-entendres and then explained them. Both of them admitted it. They didn't say who it was though.

It wasn't Higgins.

vicbjones

[2095]Feb 14, 2015

I remember Bill Murray, hosting in the early '80s, announcing at the end of the show that the Soviets had invaded Poland and the audience (presumably not believing him) laughing. Was this the last time breaking news was announced on a Saturday Night Live broadcast?

HelloStuart

[2096]Feb 15, 2015

vicbjones wrote:

I remember Bill Murray, hosting in the early '80s, announcing at the end of the show that the Soviets had invaded Poland and the audience (presumably not believing him) laughing. Was this the last time breaking news was announced on a Saturday Night Live broadcast?

There have been a number of instances where the host announced the results of a World Series game during the goodnights. Christopher Walken announcing the Blue Jays winning it all in '92 (and Jan Hooks' reaction) comes to mind.

Edited on 02/15/2015 9:24pm

Hekawi28

[2097]Feb 16, 2015
    • level: 1

Hello Stu and all the other SNL posters. I have been a regular reader of your posts and finally registered to ask a question that has been gnawing at me for quite some time.

My question concerns special effects seen during sketches which I presume are performed live. One that comes to mind is when the ghost of Martin Luther King magically appears to the teenage boy. Even back in the first episode, there was the life insurance parody where Dan Ackroyd disappears on the couch (and Chevy Chase becomes the new dad). Since these sketches are live, how do they do things like that? Are those sketches 100% live? Or are those parts pre-recorded? If all live, how are those parts seen through the eyes of the studio audience?

Likewise many sketches have multiple scenes, sometimes with the same character or actor in a different costume. I'll bet you all can think of good examples here. Is one of those always pre-recorded? If not, how do they work those out?

I'm guessing answers may be different in 1976 than in 2015.

Thanks for your input.

avmon

[2098]Feb 16, 2015
    • level: 17
    Hekawi28 wrote:

Hello Stu and all the other SNL posters. I have been a regular reader of your posts and finally registered to ask a question that has been gnawing at me for quite some time.

My question concerns special effects seen during sketches which I presume are performed live. One that comes to mind is when the ghost of Martin Luther King magically appears to the teenage boy. Even back in the first episode, there was the life insurance parody where Dan Ackroyd disappears on the couch (and Chevy Chase becomes the new dad). Since these sketches are live, how do they do things like that? Are those sketches 100% live? Or are those parts pre-recorded? If all live, how are those parts seen through the eyes of the studio audience?

Likewise many sketches have multiple scenes, sometimes with the same character or actor in a different costume. I'll bet you all can think of good examples here. Is one of those always pre-recorded? If not, how do they work those out?

I'm guessing answers may be different in 1976 than in 2015.

Thanks for your input.

About "The New Dad" one, that's definitely taped as evidenced by no studio laughter during it. That's all I can answer about that.