HelloStuart

[41]Sep 25, 2007
    • level: 63
    thecomedianky wrote:
    HelloStuart wrote:
    thecomedianky wrote:
    TheDiamondDog wrote:

mp34mp wrote:
    The odd thing is, Amy had a career before SNL. I think it's just her big ego that's keeping her on the show. Amy is just so obnoxious at times.

She did? Really? I did not know that. Exactly what was she doing?

Yes. Amy was a member of the Upright Citizens Brigade. In the late 90's, they had a sketch comedy show on Comedy Central.

She was also in "Deuce Bigalow, Male Gigolo."
    That doesn't count. Does it?

It was released in 1999.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

sisko199

[42]Sep 25, 2007
    • level: 2

Dear SNL Yoda,

So Maya Rudolph officially quits SNL. What is your take on it and do you think they will replace her or leave Wiig and Poehler as the only female cast members?

2nd question, I hear so many cast members say they don't get paid much on SNL but then I saw you mentioned Will Ferrell got paid $400,000 an episode. What would someone, like... Bill Hader (lol) or Kristen Wiig get? Any ideas?

HelloStuart

[43]Sep 25, 2007
    sisko199 wrote:

Dear SNL Yoda,

So Maya Rudolph officially quits SNL. What is your take on it and do you think they will replace her or leave Wiig and Poehler as the only female cast members?

Judging from today's Michael Ausiello columns, I don't know what to believe. Either she'll be on Saturday's broadcast or not. If not, we probably won't see any newbies until (at the earliest) November.

sisko199 wrote:

2nd question, I hear so many cast members say they don't get paid much on SNL but then I saw you mentioned Will Ferrell got paid $400,000 an episode. What would someone, like... Bill Hader (lol) or Kristen Wiig get? Any ideas?

It really depends on if they have a good agent. Unless it was a blockbuster deal like Ferrell's (that's around $8 million for one season, kiddos), NBC normally won't release a press statement for it. My best guess is that an entry level (featured player) salary is $150,000 for the season.

bry456

[44]Sep 26, 2007
    • level: 19
    SNL guru,

Was former SNL writer Liz Cakowski ever considered or even close to becoming a cast member?

2nd question

do you think Christopher Walken and/or Adam Sandler will host this season?

HelloStuart

[45]Sep 26, 2007
    bry456 wrote:
    SNL guru,

Was former SNL writer Liz Cakowski ever considered or even close to becoming a cast member?

She auditioned in 2005, but like Ms. Monroe, she lost out to Kristen Wiig.

bry456 wrote:
    2nd question

do you think Christopher Walken and/or Adam Sandler will host this season?

Anything goes. Sandler's overdue and having Walken around wouldn't hurt.

Larchman

[46]Sep 30, 2007
    • level: 11

1) What's your opinion on edited rerun versions of episodes? Are they improvements over the originals or do you prefer the unfutzed-with live shows?

2) Out of the four SNL directors, who was your favorite and why? Who was your least favorite and why?

bry456

[47]Sep 30, 2007
    Why is E! not re-airing episodes from last season? They usually do that. For example: On Saturday night, rather than airing a 60 minute version of lets say, Alec Baldwin/Christina Aguilera or some other 06/07 season episode, a duo of Best of Will Ferrell, Vol. 2 and Will Ferrell/Queens of the Stone Age aired instead.

mp34mp

[48]Sep 30, 2007
    • level: 16
    How were the ratings on this current SNL premiere compared to others?

HelloStuart

[49]Sep 30, 2007
    Larchman wrote:

1) What's your opinion on edited rerun versions of episodes? Are they improvements over the originals or do you prefer the unfutzed-with live shows?

2) Out of the four SNL directors, who was your favorite and why? Who was your least favorite and why?

1. I enjoy them both, but for seperate reasons. The 60-minute edit is essentially a streamlined version of the episode, and usually features the 65% of sketches that are most likely to resonate in viewers' heads (i.e. they were funny and/or memorable). Still, you can't go wrong with watching it in its entirety and watch the cast challenge itself with weaker material.

2. Good question. Given how the show is produced, it's hard to distinguish Dave, Paul, Beth and Don's styles. I might have to give the edge to the late Mr. Wilson, if only for his durability and consistency.

HelloStuart

[50]Sep 30, 2007
    bry456 wrote:
    Why is E! not re-airing episodes from last season? They usually do that. For example: On Saturday night, rather than airing a 60 minute version of lets say, Alec Baldwin/Christina Aguilera or some other 06/07 season episode, a duo of Best of Will Ferrell, Vol. 2 and Will Ferrell/Queens of the Stone Age aired instead.

Good question. It seems that E! is not going to renew its syndication contract (it expires in '08, I think) and is gradually phasing out the show. As for where the 60-minute edits will land, your guess is as good as mine.

HelloStuart

[51]Sep 30, 2007
    mp34mp wrote:
    How were the ratings on this current SNL premiere compared to others?

We will know in a few days. NBC doesn't usually give overnight numbers.

whoaitsconner

[52]Oct 3, 2007
    • level: 21

Hey, I have a few questions:

You said that E!'s contract expires 2008 and they aren't renewing that? Would that mean the syndication would go to another channel that cabel viewers could watch? Such as Comedy Central, or Bravo?

2nd queston: Many people say SNL has lost it's touch since the 90s. But I think it is hilarious, and that it's just a different kind of humor. I also think that SNL has improved since 2005/2006 season. After that budget cut, the cast really came together. I also think the 2007/2008 season started on a C note with Lebron and Kanye. What's your take?

3rd question: ARe there any news on the hosts for November yet? i would really like Cheri oteri to host.

4th question: Do you think Bronx Beat will be returning this season? It seems that after 4 appearences, it has really lost it's touch with making people histerically laugh. I also never really liked Deep House Dish, I just like how they interperated the music.

5th question: I hear that SNL has it's contract until 2012, do you think they are doing well enough to be continuing after then?

Thank you so much, peace out.

HelloStuart

[53]Oct 4, 2007
    whoaitsconner wrote:

Hey, I have a few questions:

You said that E!'s contract expires 2008 and they aren't renewing that? Would that mean the syndication would go to another channel that cabel viewers could watch? Such as Comedy Central, or Bravo?

2nd queston: Many people say SNL has lost it's touch since the 90s. But I think it is hilarious, and that it's just a different kind of humor. I also think that SNL has improved since 2005/2006 season. After that budget cut, the cast really came together. I also think the 2007/2008 season started on a C note with Lebron and Kanye. What's your take?

3rd question: ARe there any news on the hosts for November yet? i would really like Cheri Oteri to host.

4th question: Do you think Bronx Beat will be returning this season? It seems that after 4 appearences, it has really lost it's touch with making people histerically laugh. I also never really liked Deep House Dish, I just like how they interperated the music.

5th question: I hear that SNL has it's contract until 2012, do you think they are doing well enough to be continuing after then?

Thank you so much, peace out.

1. I'm guessing E! might be phasing out the repeats for monetary reasons. Comedy Central dumped SNL four years ago because it was too expensive, and E! is probably starting to feel the same way. As for where the repeats will land, your guess is as good as mine; it'd be nice if anything pre-1990 ended up on TV Land or Nick at Nite, though.

2. I would say the weakest season of the last 10 years was probably 2003-04 (or at least the second half of it), but I get your gist. The current cast is cohesive and has chemistry in spite of its other flaws. As for James/West, you can find my detailed review in the episode guide.

3. We normally don'thave any idea as to who's hosting a particular show until maybe three or four weeks before the broadcast. As for Oteri, I don't think she has a reasonable shot of ever hosting, especially given the way she disappeared for five years following her departure from the show, but weirder things have happened.

4. As long as the cast and writers come up with new ideas for the sketch (or at least a different variation on the same idea), the sketch will live on. I really could go either way with DSD and BB.

5. SNL is and always will be a breeding ground for comedy talent, and if people continue to nurture and appreciate the show, it'll outlive us all, with or without Lorne.

Hope this helps.

whoaitsconner

[54]Oct 4, 2007
    • level: 21
    thanks, this does help.

TheOCfan

[55]Oct 13, 2007
    • level: 28
    How many seasons does NBC plan to release on DVD?

bry456

[56]Oct 13, 2007
    I know Steve Martin/Blondie from October 1979 is the highest rated show in its history, but what particular season(s) did SNL garner consistently high ratings?

bry456

[57]Oct 13, 2007
    Who is the voice of the announcer in both the "Red Ships of Spain" and "Elian: The Cuban Boy" sketches?

HelloStuart

[58]Oct 13, 2007
    TheOCfan wrote:
    How many seasons does NBC plan to release on DVD?

Depends on music rights. If not for dealing with ASCAP and BMI, we'd probably have three seasons on DVD by now.

HelloStuart

[59]Oct 13, 2007
    bry456 wrote:
    I know Steve Martin/Blondie from October 1979 is the highest rated show in its history, but what particular season(s) did SNL garner consistently high ratings?

SNL had its highest numbers during the pre-cable era, specifically during the 1978-79 and 1979-80 seasons, where it was averaging 10.5 million a week. In this age of 600+ channels, however, you'll never see numbers like that again.

HelloStuart

[60]Oct 13, 2007
    bry456 wrote:
    Who is the voice of the announcer in both the "Red Ships of Spain" and "Elian: The Cuban Boy" sketches?

Yay, a trivia question!

Darrell Hammond voiced both sketches.