Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

Have an SNL question? Ask Stu!

thecomedianky

[101]Oct 25, 2007
    • level: 19
    Where do you see yourself in regards to SNL in the next ten years?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

bry456

[102]Oct 25, 2007
    HelloStuart wrote:
    Nickycd wrote:
    I have 2 quick interesting questions. first when Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson hosts SNL next month how will he be announced. as just the rock like the two times before or as Dwayne Johnson or maybe Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson. i'm referring to the opening credits and the week before-during the Brian Williams show when don does the next week announcements. Also When They announce Jonah Hill will they do what they did for The woman from My Big Fat Greek Wedding and announce From Super bad Jonah Hill because I hardly know who he is. Just wondering.

I think the greater issue at hand is whether or not there will even be any shows after November 3rd. Negotiations with the Writers' Guild of America aren't going anywhere.

Doesn't that effect motion picture writers only?

If the writing staff does 'protest' or whatever they will do, the cast knows how to write.

mp34mp

[103]Oct 25, 2007
    • level: 16
    HelloStuart wrote:
    Nickycd wrote:
    I have 2 quick interesting questions. first when Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson hosts SNL next month how will he be announced. as just the rock like the two times before or as Dwayne Johnson or maybe Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson. i'm referring to the opening credits and the week before-during the Brian Williams show when don does the next week announcements. Also When They announce Jonah Hill will they do what they did for The woman from My Big Fat Greek Wedding and announce From Super bad Jonah Hill because I hardly know who he is. Just wondering.

I think the greater issue at hand is whether or not there will even be any shows after November 3rd. Negotiations with the Writers' Guild of America aren't going anywhere.

Say what? Do you have a source and who else would be affected?

mp34mp

[104]Oct 25, 2007
    Question: How much have SNL movies cost & how much did most of them lose at the Box Office?

thecomedianky

[105]Oct 25, 2007
    mp34mp wrote:
    Question: How much have SNL movies cost & how much did most of them lose at the Box Office?
    http://www.boxofficemojo.com/franchises/chart/?id=snl.htm

thecomedianky

[106]Oct 25, 2007
    bry456 wrote:
    HelloStuart wrote:
    Nickycd wrote:

If the writing staff does 'protest' or whatever they will do, the cast knows how to write.
    Anyone who is a member of the WGA is affected by the looming strike.

mp34mp

[107]Oct 25, 2007
    Wow...

Ladies Man lost $10.4 million
    Superstar lost $3.3 million. How in the hell did that make $30.6 million??? I think in the late 90s / early 00s is when this country got really lazy & the madness began and started seeing as many movies as possible. Looking at the all-time rankings, 39 of the top 50 were within the past 10 years. That's ridculous.

mp34mp

[108]Oct 25, 2007
    thecomedianky wrote:
    bry456 wrote:
    HelloStuart wrote:
    Nickycd wrote:

And how do we know whose in the WGA?

thecomedianky

[109]Oct 25, 2007
    mp34mp wrote:
    Wow...

Ladies Man lost $10.4 million
    Superstar lost $3.3 million. How in the hell did that make $30.6 million??? I think in the late 90s / early 00s is when this country got really lazy & the madness began and started seeing as many movies as possible. Looking at the all-time rankings, 39 of the top 50 were within the past 10 years. That's ridculous.
    Last summer, I saw over 25 movies.

It was the most for me in a summer since 1997 when I first started writing down which ones I saw on the 12 month calendar I buy yearly (do they make SNL calendars?--my past few have been Cardinals, Star Wars, or Beatles). This summer came close but it was affected by being in Israel for half a month and then two vacations, one for pleasure, the other for work.

thecomedianky

[110]Oct 25, 2007
    mp34mp wrote:
    thecomedianky wrote:
    bry456 wrote:
    HelloStuart wrote:
    Nickycd wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Writers_Guild_of_America%2C_East
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Writers_Guild_of_America%2C_west
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollywood_film_strike_%282008%29

mp34mp

[111]Oct 25, 2007
    thecomedianky wrote:
    mp34mp wrote:
    thecomedianky wrote:
    bry456 wrote:
    HelloStuart wrote:
    Nickycd wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Writers_Guild_of_America%2C_East
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Writers_Guild_of_America%2C_west
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollywood_film_strike_%282008%29

:O ! Daniel!

HelloStuart

[112]Oct 25, 2007
    • level: 63
    bry456 wrote:
    HelloStuart wrote:
    Nickycd wrote:

WGA strikes resulted in shortened seasons in 1980-81, 1984-85, and 1987-88, and the SNL staff are and always will be card-carriers. If a strike happens (and right now, that's 50% chance), it will put SNL and all the late night talk shows (Leno, Dave, Stewart, et al.) on immediate hiatus. As for network TV, there probably won't be any dramatic changes unless the strike goes on for more than a month, since most shows are shot in advance. (Then again, the last strike lasted 18 weeks.) Most reality and news shows will go on without a hitch, but comedies and dramas will definitely be affected. Realistically, if there is a strike, I don't see it going on beyond Thanksgiving.

HelloStuart

[113]Oct 25, 2007
    thecomedianky wrote:
    Where do you see yourself in regards to SNL in the next ten years?

Being a writer on SNL is still somewhere between long-term goal and pipe dream. I'll be doing the radio thing for at least a couple more years, then I'll see where my prospects are.

HelloStuart

[114]Oct 25, 2007
    mp34mp wrote:
    HelloStuart wrote:
    Nickycd wrote:

Say what? Do you have a source and who else would be affected?

Just Google "Writers Guild of America."

HelloStuart

[115]Oct 25, 2007
    mp34mp wrote:
    thecomedianky wrote:
    bry456 wrote:
    HelloStuart wrote:
    Nickycd wrote:
    I have 2 quick interesting questions. first when Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson hosts SNL next month how will he be announced. as just the rock like the two times before or as Dwayne Johnson or maybe Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson. i'm referring to the opening credits and the week before-during the Brian Williams show when don does the next week announcements. Also When They announce Jonah Hill will they do what they did for The woman from My Big Fat Greek Wedding and announce From Superbad Jonah Hill because I hardly know who he is. Just wondering.

And how do we know who's in the WGA?

It's almost an unofficial requirement if you want to work in television. Ditto for actors and the SAG.
    Edited on 10/25/2007 2:53pm

JerrySteveDave

[116]Oct 25, 2007
    • level: 6
    I believe it's actually an official requirement for both the WGA and SAG. The film and television industries are closed union shops.

mp34mp

[117]Oct 25, 2007
    JerrySteveDave wrote:
    I believe it's actually an official requirement for both the WGA and SAG. The film and television industries are closed union shops.

Oh dear, damn me and my Conservative pro-management anti-union views!

bry456

[118]Oct 26, 2007
    Stu,

What are your 10 favorite episodes from SNL's 32 year history?

What castmembers do you think are underrated?

How would would you rate David Spade's time on SNL, favorable or unfavorable? Why? If favorable, what did you think of the two episode he hosted, November 7, 1998 and March 12, 2005? If unfavorable, why?

Water78

[119]Oct 26, 2007
    • level: 47
    Now that you look at it - do u think it was a wise move to fire Finesse

HelloStuart

[120]Oct 26, 2007
    Water78 wrote:
    Now that you look at it - do u think it was a wise move to fire Finesse.

Since leaving the show (he wasn't fired, it was a mutual agreeance), he's been writing a magazine column and I think he just published a book. Still, it's too soon to tell.