Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

Have an SNL question? Ask Stu!

HelloStuart

[121]Oct 26, 2007
    • level: 63
    bry456 wrote:
    Stu,

What are your 10 favorite episodes from SNL's 32 year history?

What castmembers do you think are underrated?

How would would you rate David Spade's time on SNL, favorable or unfavorable? Why? If favorable, what did you think of the two episode he hosted, November 7, 1998 and March 12, 2005? If unfavorable, why?

Hoo boy- do I have to answer all of this?

I'll get back to you on question #1. As for #2, I wrote an SNL Column about that last summer, and the list included Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Ben Stiller, and Sarah Silverman. In regards to Spade, I would say his seven-year stint as writer-actor was favorable but his two hosting appearances were middling (not his fault, though). Spade has always been more comedian than thespian, but he was a distinct voice during the shows early-to-mid '90s period and his WU commentaries were usually a treat.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Water78

[122]Oct 27, 2007
    • level: 47
    If you could make any changes to the cast and or writers what would you do?

HelloStuart

[123]Oct 28, 2007
    Water78 wrote:

The first thing I would probably do is take MADtv out of its misery; there's no need to split an already thin talent crop in two. Even Mark's admitted that the "other" show is running on fumes. Then again, you don't really see too many Second City/Groundlings/UCB people on either show anymore...

It's tough to say what I would do with the writers because I don't have a clear idea of who writes what now, and an overhaul would be a bit harsh. As for the cast, I probably see at least one person moving on before the start of next year, but it's too soon to speculate who that would be.

algetrig91

[124]Oct 28, 2007
    • level: 34
    Other than budget concerns, what other reason is there for no new cast members in the last two years?

Water78

[125]Oct 28, 2007
    HelloStuart wrote:
    Water78 wrote:

The first thing I would probably do is take MADtv out of its misery; there's no need to split an already thin talent crop in two. Even Mark's admitted that the "other" show is running on fumes. Then again, you don't really see too many Second City/Groundlings/UCB people on either show anymore...

It's tough to say what I would do with the writers because I don't have a clear idea of who writes what now, and an overhaul would be a bit harsh. As for the cast, I probably see at least one person moving on before the start of next year, but it's too soon to speculate who that would be.

I have read that MadTV is starting to go down SNL's path.(post Will-Ana for SNL fans)I would move up Seth from cast member to just writer.I heard that Amy was leaving at the end of this season. How much longer can Darrell last.
    In your mind who would be the best person to replace Don.

whoaitsconner

[126]Oct 28, 2007
    • level: 21

Water78 wrote:
    HelloStuart wrote:
    Water78 wrote:
    The first thing I would probably do is take MADtv out of its misery; there's no need to split an already thin talent crop in two. Even Mark's admitted that the "other" show is running on fumes. Then again, you don't really see too many Second City/Groundlings/UCB people on either show anymore... It's tough to say what I would do with the writers because I don't have a clear idea of who writes what now, and an overhaul would be a bit harsh. As for the cast, I probably see at least one person moving on before the start of next year, but it's too soon to speculate who that would be.
    I have read that MadTV is starting to go down SNL's path.(post Will-Ana for SNL fans)I would move up Seth from cast member to just writer.I heard that Amy was leaving at the end of this season. How much longer can Darrell last. In your mind who would be the best person to replace Don.

Amy is leaving. Darrell is probably leaving. Maya is definetely leaving, after her fit before this season. Seth probably won't be around after Amy leaves because of Update. Kristen, Bill, Andy, and Jason are probably staying and as for Kenan, Fred, and Will, its a wild card, but i do remember that Kenan was ready to leave 2 seasons ago.

Water78

[127]Oct 28, 2007
    whoaitsconner wrote:

Water78 wrote:
    HelloStuart wrote:
    Water78 wrote:
    The first thing I would probably do is take MADtv out of its misery; there's no need to split an already thin talent crop in two. Even Mark's admitted that the "other" show is running on fumes. Then again, you don't really see too many Second City/Groundlings/UCB people on either show anymore... It's tough to say what I would do with the writers because I don't have a clear idea of who writes what now, and an overhaul would be a bit harsh. As for the cast, I probably see at least one person moving on before the start of next year, but it's too soon to speculate who that would be.
    I have read that MadTV is starting to go down SNL's path.(post Will-Ana for SNL fans)I would move up Seth from cast member to just writer.I heard that Amy was leaving at the end of this season. How much longer can Darrell last. In your mind who would be the best person to replace Don.

Amy is leaving. Darrell is probably leaving. Maya is definetely leaving, after her fit before this season. Seth probably won't be around after Amy leaves because of Update. Kristen, Bill, Andy, and Jason are probably staying and as for Kenan, Fred, and Will, its a wild card, but i do remember that Kenan was ready to leave 2 seasons ago.

I think Maya might leave midseason start the season but not end with the season might be her game

HelloStuart

[128]Oct 28, 2007
    algetrig91 wrote:
    Other than budget concerns, what other reason is there for no new cast members in the last two years?

Because the cast as it stands actually has a certain chemistry. In spite of the writing, the dynamic is like something the show hasn't seen since the mid-to-late '90s.

HelloStuart

[129]Oct 28, 2007
    Water78 wrote:
    whoaitsconner wrote:

Water78 wrote:
    HelloStuart wrote:
    Water78 wrote:

I think Maya might leave midseason start the season but not end with the season might be her game.

You're all just trying to spread rumors or just pick on cast members you don't like. It's way too soon to forecast who'll be leaving at the end of the season. Cast members have made movies and stayed on the show, so I wouldn't consider that an accurate indicator. For all we know, Darrell will be on the show until he's 70.

Water78

[130]Nov 2, 2007
    HelloStuart wrote:
    Water78 wrote:
    whoaitsconner wrote:

Water78 wrote:
    HelloStuart wrote:
    Water78 wrote:

I think Maya might leave midseason start the season but not end with the season might be her game.

You're all just trying to spread rumors or just pick on cast members you don't like. It's way too soon to forecast who'll be leaving at the end of the season. Cast members have made movies and stayed on the show, so I wouldn't consider that an accurate indicator. For all we know, Darrell will be on the show until he's 70.

I love to pick on Amy

whoaitsconner

[131]Nov 2, 2007
    So this whole writers strike thing? Do you think it will make a big impact?

Nickycd

[132]Nov 2, 2007
    • level: 3
    I know the strike will probably-affect the Rock show but let's just say it does go on. I know that Amy Winehouse has Canceled do you have any info on who would be the musical guest in the chance the strikes not-in affect by the airing of the show? i'm also assuming it is confirmed that since the strike starts Monday at the earliest the show is confirmed to be airing live with Brian Williams/Feist tomorrow night Because i'm really looking forward to seeing Feist. Her latest CD is great!
    Edited on 11/02/2007 7:47pm
    Edited 2 total times.

whoaitsconner

[134]Nov 2, 2007

Nickycd wrote:
    I know the strike will probably-affect the Rock show but let's just say it does go on. I know that Amy Winehouse has Canceled do you have any info on who would be the musical guest in the chance the strikes not-in affect by the airing of the show? i'm also assuming it is confirmed that since the strike starts Monday at the earliest the show is confirmed to be airing live with Brian Williams/Feist tomorrow night Because i'm really looking forward to seeing Feist. Her latest CD is great!

haha we're treating SNL as if its a picnic that we planned on a day thats going to rain. Now we're wondering if the picnic is still on? I know the answer to this one. Brian Williams/Feist is definetely on tomorrow night. But after so, i think its a repeat instead of The Rock. They got all the writing done by wednesday

Woodstein

[135]Nov 2, 2007
    • level: 14
    And the strike isn't starting until Monday anyway, so they can get any last-minute rewrites needed. My concerns are how long it will last, and how having an impending strike will affect the writing for tomorrow night's show.

avmon

[136]Nov 3, 2007
    • level: 16
    I wonder if Weekend Update will mention something about it...

HelloStuart

[137]Nov 3, 2007
    Water78 wrote:
    HelloStuart wrote:
    Water78 wrote:
    whoaitsconner wrote:

Water78 wrote:
    HelloStuart wrote:
    Water78 wrote:

I love to pick on Amy

See? I had a feeling someday you and Mark would get along.

HelloStuart

[138]Nov 3, 2007
    avmon wrote:
    I wonder if Weekend Update will mention something about it...

They did three weeks ago.

HelloStuart

[139]Nov 3, 2007
    whoaitsconner wrote:

Yes and no. The fans lose because we're all but guaranteed a shorter season (if, as some people project, only by two episodes or so), but it's not like the WGA isn't striking for a reason. In the long run, the strike will make a small dent but it won't be earth-shattering.

whoaitsconner

[140]Nov 3, 2007

HelloStuart wrote:
    whoaitsconner wrote:
    Yes and no. The fans lose because we're all but guaranteed a shorter season (if, as some people project, only by two episodes or so), but it's not like the WGA isn't striking for a reason. In the long run, the strike will make a small dent but it won't be earth-shattering.

Yeah your right. But by the end of the season, we won't even notice the shortage of episodes.. unless we actually count them. They're just doing this at this time because the November sweeps.