Have an SNL question? Ask Stu!

HelloStuart

[161]Nov 9, 2007
    • level: 63
    avmon wrote:
    HelloStuart wrote:
    whoaitsconner wrote:
    dude6363 wrote:

Do you think the anger between Laura Kightlinger and Lorne Michaels will ever be solved? Do you know the last time they spoke?

what happened between them?

I'm not clear as to what you're talking about, either.

Is that why she left?

She didn't leave, she was fired, just like most of the cast from Year 20.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

dude6363

[162]Nov 10, 2007
    • level: 60

HelloStuart wrote:
    avmon wrote:
    HelloStuart wrote:
    whoaitsconner wrote:
    dude6363 wrote:

Do you think the anger between Laura Kightlinger and Lorne Michaels will ever be solved? Do you know the last time they spoke?

Is that why she left?

Sorry gang, I should have been more specific. She is furious at Lorne because he insisted she go braless on the show and she refused. She hasn't been on since, and is still super-pissed at Lorne. It's all in her guide here.

whoaitsconner

[163]Nov 10, 2007
    • level: 21
    dude6363 wrote:

HelloStuart wrote:
    avmon wrote:
    HelloStuart wrote:
    whoaitsconner wrote:
    dude6363 wrote:

Is that why she left?

Sorry gang, I should have been more specific. She is furious at Lorne because he insisted she go braless on the show and she refused. She hasn't been on since, and is still super-pissed at Lorne. It's all in her guide here.

Speaking of Braless, was Maya really braless on the 33rd SNL premiere when she played venessa?

HelloStuart

[164]Nov 10, 2007
    whoaitsconner wrote:

Speaking of braless, was Maya really braless on the 33rd SNL premiere when she played Vanessa?

That was probably a flesh-tone tube top. Pamela Anderson wore something similar to that in her monologue in Year 22. Actresses regularly wear them when pretending to do something revealing, like if they were in bed post-coitus. Consider it a "secret of the industry."

Water78

[165]Nov 10, 2007
    • level: 47
    What excast member would u like to see host for the first time and what excastmember would u like to see host again

whoaitsconner

[166]Nov 10, 2007

Water78 wrote:
    What excast member would u like to see host for the first time and what excastmember would u like to see host again

I'm not Stu. but I would like to see Cheri Oteri for the first time and Will Farrell again.

HelloStuart

[167]Nov 10, 2007
    Water78 wrote:
    What ex-cast member would you like to see host for the first time and what ex-cast member would you like to see host again?

Adam Sandler and Bill Murray, in that order.

avmon

[168]Nov 10, 2007
    • level: 16
    HelloStuart wrote:
    Water78 wrote:
    What ex-cast member would you like to see host for the first time and what ex-cast member would you like to see host again?

Adam Sandler and Bill Murray, in that order.
    Though I know this will never happen, Joe Piscopo for first time and Eddie Murphy for again.

bry456

[169]Nov 11, 2007
    • level: 19
    I previously asked about the ratings of the highest rated seasons. You said 1978-79 and 1979-80 had the highest ratings. 1: Now, how were ratings for subsequent time periods, specifically Doumenian season, Ebersol Era, 1985-95, 1995-2002, 2002-present? What was an average number of viewers for these periods? Was there a fluctuation, from high viewership to lower or lower viewership to higher during each? All this disregarding the influence of cable.

2: List your 10 favorite broadcasts from the show (that you've seen either live or on Classic SNL)

Nickycd

[170]Nov 11, 2007
    • level: 3
    Yeah I'd also like to know your 10 least favorite broadcasts of the show (either from a live show or from classic SNL)

HelloStuart

[171]Nov 11, 2007
    Nickycd wrote:
    Yeah I'd also like to know your 10 least favorite broadcasts of the show (either from a live show or from classic SNL)

Funny that you differentiate a live show from CSNL; whether you watch it live or tape it, it's still the same show.

I can think of five avoidable shows off the top of my head: Lasser/PHJB from Year 1, Madden/Holliday from Year 7, Kerrigan/Franklin from Year 19, Saget/TLC from Year 20, and McCormick/Jay-Z from Year 28. (I only picked shows that I've watched in their entirety; otherwise, my list would've been heavily weighted towards Years 6, 11, 19, 20 and the second half of 29, i.e. the usual suspects.)

HelloStuart

[172]Nov 11, 2007
    bry456 wrote:
    I previously asked about the ratings of the highest rated seasons. You said 1978-79 and 1979-80 had the highest ratings. 1: Now, how were ratings for subsequent time periods, specifically Doumenian season, Ebersol Era, 1985-95, 1995-2002, 2002-present? What was an average number of viewers for these periods? Was there a fluctuation, from high viewership to lower or lower viewership to higher during each? All this disregarding the influence of cable.

The beginning of Year 6 had only marginally lower numbers than the previous year, but it bottomed out fairly quickly and in the eyes of NBC didn't really recover until late in Year 7. The next lowest-rated seasons were (in chronological order) 11, 12, 20, and the first half of 21. It's hard to tell how much of a role cable played from 1980 onwards, but it was definitely felt.

bry456 wrote:
    2: List your 10 favorite broadcasts from the show (that you've seen either live or on Classic SNL).

That's a Sophie's choice, but in regards to shows I've watched in their entirety, I'd say Henry/Band from Year 2, Martin/Blues Brothers from Year 3, Benjamin/RLJ from Year 4, Williams/Ant from Year 9, Chase-Short-Martin/Newman from Year 12, Hanks/Springsteen from Year 17, Carrey/Soundgarden from Year 21, Buscemi/3EB from Year 23, Walken/Aguilera from Year 25, and Luke Wilson/U2 from Year 30. This may not correspond with the reviews I've given, but some episodes have held up better than others.

whoaitsconner

[173]Nov 11, 2007
    R.I.P. "Should Dane Cook Be a Cast member?" December 10, 2005 - November 11, 2007

Water78

[174]Nov 11, 2007
    Which castmember of this season do u think will have the greatest successafter SNL. Other then Amy

HelloStuart

[175]Nov 11, 2007
    Water78 wrote:
    Which cast member of this season do you think will have the greatest success after SNL? Other than Amy.

It's really too soon to tell, but I like Bill and Wiigy's chances.

whoaitsconner

[176]Nov 11, 2007
    Okay, back in the '88 strike, it started in March, and production for most shows were done, other than late-night stuff. So, the strike really wasn't needed to come to an end soon. But right now, we probably only have episodes until January, so it's probably going to come to a compromise soon, i hope. Do you think the strike will in less than 5 months? More importantly, do you think Brian Williams/Feist was the season finale like some people were claiming?

HelloStuart

[177]Nov 12, 2007
    whoaitsconner wrote:
    Okay, back in the '88 strike, it started in March, and production for most shows were done, other than late-night stuff. So, the strike really wasn't needed to come to an end soon. But right now, we probably only have episodes until January, so it's probably going to come to a compromise soon, i hope. Do you think the strike will in less than 5 months? More importantly, do you think Brian Williams/Feist was the season finale like some people were claiming?

There are varying opinions on how long the strike will last. The half-full glass suggests that the media bigwigs will buckle under pressure and raise the royalty rate to eight cents sooner than later. The half-empty glass believes the studio heads will keep playing hardball in spite of having no media and creative support whatsoever, and that the strike could go on well into next year. I'm leaning towards half-full.

The '88 strike did have some repurcussions, though. Because of the Spring walkout, a good-sized majority of new shows for the next TV season didn't bow until November and December, compared to the usual September/October premiere date. The networks responded to this by holding off on airing several late-season replacements until the beginning of the 88-89 season (the most notable being "Roseanne").

To answer your question, the TV season is not over, but if only half as many new episodes air than we usually have, I wouldn't be surprised.

Water78

[178]Nov 12, 2007
    whoaitsconner wrote:

O i hope it does - that means GOODBYE AMY POEHLER

whoaitsconner

[179]Nov 12, 2007

Water78 wrote:
    whoaitsconner wrote:

I love Amy! Darrell has to go. He's a very talented actor/impressionist, but his prime on SNL has long gone. At least give the guy a recurring character!

HelloStuart

[180]Nov 12, 2007
    whoaitsconner wrote:

Water78 wrote:

I love Amy! Darrell has to go. He's a very talented actor/impressionist, but his prime on SNL has long gone. At least give the guy a recurring character!

Darrell's had several, most notably Percy Bo Dance and Skeeter.