Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

Have an SNL question? Ask Stu!

MeowDogGirl

[1822]Mar 13, 2012
    • level: 1

In your own opinion, how are the kids from 2010 progressing on SNL?

Edited on 03/13/2012 5:56pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

HelloStuart

[1823]Mar 16, 2012
    • level: 63
    MeowDogGirl wrote:

In your own opinion, how are the kids from 2010 progressing on SNL?

Well... Paul answered his own question, unfortunately. Taran and vBay have been making strides this year and will almost certainly be back as repertory players in Year 38. The jury's still out on Jay, but chances are he'll be back, too.

Dande

[1824]Mar 19, 2012

Hey Stu, I was wondering about sallaries of the cast of SNL. How much do they earn, I guess it´s based on seniority. Do they get paid by episode or monthly?

HelloStuart

[1825]Mar 19, 2012
    Dande wrote:

Hey Stu, I was wondering about sallaries of the cast of SNL. How much do they earn, I guess it´s based on seniority. Do they get paid by episode or monthly?

To the best of my knowledge, the cast normally has annual salaries, and it's based on seniority. The highest-paid cast member ever was Will Ferrell, who pulled approximately $400,000 an episode in Year 27.

Dande

[1826]Mar 20, 2012
    HelloStuart wrote:
    Dande wrote:

To the best of my knowledge, the cast normally has annual salaries, and it's based on seniority. The highest-paid cast member ever was Will Ferrell, who pulled approximately $400,000 an episode in Year 27.

That is far more than I ever expected, he was big on SNL during his tenure. I would guess a rookie member of the cast gets 40-50K per year.

HelloStuart

[1827]Mar 20, 2012
    Dande wrote:
    HelloStuart wrote:
    Dande wrote:

That is far more than I ever expected, he was big on SNL during his tenure. I would guess a rookie member of the cast gets 40-50K per year.

My best guess would be about $50,000/year as well. At worst, they're paid scale.

Ruckhappy

[1828]Mar 21, 2012
    • level: 8

According to most accounts Lorne has had a "most favored nations" policy about cast and writer salaries since the beginning. Which just underscores what Stu says except that, unless you're a Ferrell, they're really serious about paying everyone equally on basis of seniority. I think the starting salary for cast is more in the high five figures though. $50K in New York is just enough to live in a basement in Brooklyn (and I'm speaking from experience).

Dande

[1829]Mar 24, 2012
    Ruckhappy wrote:

According to most accounts Lorne has had a "most favored nations" policy about cast and writer salaries since the beginning. Which just underscores what Stu says except that, unless you're a Ferrell, they're really serious about paying everyone equally on basis of seniority. I think the starting salary for cast is more in the high five figures though. $50K in New York is just enough to live in a basement in Brooklyn (and I'm speaking from experience).

Yeah, unless you live inside "Friends" or any other sit com based in New York. They all seem to live in these great big apartments that are rent controlled.

JustinRAn

[1830]Apr 16, 2012
    • level: 12
    Stu, I have a question for you:

Why do people trash on Jimmy Fallon for laughing in a COUPLE, not all, sketches but give Bill Hader and Stefan a free pass?

HelloStuart

[1831]Apr 16, 2012
    JustinRAn wrote:

Why do people trash on Jimmy Fallon for laughing in a COUPLE, not all, sketches but give Bill Hader and Stefan a free pass?

I answered that question in the Brolin/Gotye thread. Where Fallon had an enforcer/partner in crime in Horatio, Bill's breaking problem is entirely isolated. And even so, Hader is not nearly as prolific as Jimmy. For those of you that watched the live shows in Year 28 and 29, the Jimmy/Horatio combo would crack in nearly every sketch they shared.

JustinRAn

[1832]Apr 16, 2012
    HelloStuart wrote:
    JustinRAn wrote:

I answered that question in the Brolin/Gotye thread. Where Fallon had an enforcer/partner in crime in Horatio, Bill's breaking problem is entirely isolated. And even so, Hader is not nearly as prolific as Jimmy. For those of you that watched the live shows in Year 28 and 29, the Jimmy/Horatio combo would crack in nearly every sketch they shared.

But everyone just blames Jimmy. Rarely does anyone say Jimmy/ Horatio.

stellarchick86

[1834]Apr 17, 2012
    • level: 32
    I find Haders cracking up funny because he always has a goofy look on his face (like tonight with the Californians sketch) or he tries his best to cover it, like on that Scared Straight sketch. Jimmy will just bust out laughing in mid-sentence for no real reason. IDK, to me its different. But Jimmy has done a lot better though. When he hosted in Dec I thought he did a really good job. I think his Late Night gig has kind of helped him stretch his wings and has made him more independent to make sure to do the right thing (since on SNL he could depend on his other castmates and now its just him so he has to make sure a sketch doesnt bomb).

drudager

[1835]Apr 17, 2012
    • level: 13
    JustinRAn wrote:
    HelloStuart wrote:
    JustinRAn wrote:

But everyone just blames Jimmy. Rarely does anyone say Jimmy/ Horatio.

Because it's JIMMY'S fault and he has no self-control. I saw every single live episode & sketch of his SNL career, and it wasn't "a couple" of sketches, it was most of them, and it was brutal. Just absolutely brutal. He almost ruined the best sketch in the past 20 years (Cowbell). That is so typical of the stunt he tries to pull.

I KNEW this is exactly what would happen: a whole generation of fans who think Jimmy Fallon is hilarious or "proper". Nobody had EVER broken character as much as Jimmy did, and it was wrong. It's a mockery to all the professionals who came before him. The great-late Phil Hartman broke character only once & never did again in his 8-year stint.

jackfruit

[1836]Apr 17, 2012

Stu, I have been searching for days for an answer to an SNL question, and came across you a couple of days ago. I told myself you probably wouldn't know this, because it deals with the very early years. But, I'm getting nowhere alone, so let's give it a try?! In the first few years of the show, Laraine Newman had a recurring role as a news reporter. I am desperately trying to lay my hands on a link or dvd, tape, etc., of Laraine in one of those reporter segments. I work with news people, and some of them start developing that affectation she used in the skits. It wan an over-the-top parody of how a reporter thought she should sound, and it was spot on. Can you help? It's starting to drive me nuts, because I KNOW it's out there. Thanks in advance for any help!

Desperate in DC!

JustinRAn

[1837]Apr 17, 2012
    SNL Season 1 on DVD

Episode 3 With Rob Reiner
    Episode 8 With Candace Bergen
    Episode 9 With Elliott Gould
    Episode 11 With Peter Cook and Dudley Moore
    Episode 12 With Dick Cavett
    Episode 13 With Peter Boyle (R.I.P.)
    Episode 15 With Jill Clayburgh
    Episode 17 With Rob Nessen
    Episode 20 With Dyan Cannon
    Episode 24 With Kris Kristofferson

There's probably more but that should be enough to get you started.

HelloStuart

[1838]Apr 18, 2012
    jackfruit wrote:

Stu, I have been searching for days for an answer to an SNL question, and came across you a couple of days ago. I told myself you probably wouldn't know this, because it deals with the very early years. But, I'm getting nowhere alone, so let's give it a try?! In the first few years of the show, Laraine Newman had a recurring role as a news reporter. I am desperately trying to lay my hands on a link or dvd, tape, etc., of Laraine in one of those reporter segments. I work with news people, and some of them start developing that affectation she used in the skits. It wan an over-the-top parody of how a reporter thought she should sound, and it was spot on. Can you help? It's starting to drive me nuts, because I KNOW it's out there. Thanks in advance for any help!

Desperate in DC!

As Justin pointed out, the Season 1 DVD set is a good place to start, though she did numerous "reporting" segments throughout her five years on the show. Please don't feel desperate; there's plenty here to work with.

jackfruit

[1839]Apr 19, 2012

Thank you SO much! I just need one good example of her acting like a pompous reporter. I will now see about finding the first season. Very much appreciated!

Not so desperate in DC anymore!

HelloStuart

[1840]Apr 19, 2012

jackfruit wrote:

Thank you SO much! I just need one good example of her acting like a pompous reporter. I will now see about finding the first season. Very much appreciated!

Not so desperate in DC anymore!

You can find a set on eBay or Amazon.com for as low as $4 including S&H.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Saturday-Night-Live-Complete-First-Season-DVD-2006-8-Disc-Set-/180864782277?pt=US_DVD_HD_DVD_Blu_ray&hash=item2a1c618fc5

StephenChase1

[1841]Apr 20, 2012
    • level: 3
    My question is: What were Steve Martin and Bill Murray in a 1979 sketch looking at?

HelloStuart

[1842]Apr 20, 2012
    StephenChase1 wrote:
    My question is: What were Steve Martin and Bill Murray (in a 1979 sketch) looking at?

From the Year 5 season premiere? I think that was part of the joke, Steve.