Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

Have an SNL question? Ask Stu!

PatrickPsaila

[1843]Apr 22, 2012
    • level: 1

hi Stu just wondering why Weird AL has never been on the show seems like he would be perfect, If Betty White gets a crack why not al

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

JustinRAn

[1844]Apr 23, 2012
    • level: 12
    StephenChase1 wrote:
    My question is: What were Steve Martin and Bill Murray in a 1979 sketch looking at?

Lana Del Rey singing? Sorry, It was too easy to skip.

drudager

[1845]Apr 23, 2012
    • level: 13
    JustinRAn wrote:
    StephenChase1 wrote:
    My question is: What were Steve Martin and Bill Murray in a 1979 sketch looking at?

Lana Del Rey singing? Sorry, It was too easy to skip.

Yeah that joke works because Lana Del Rey was born in 1986. I'll chalk that up to the Jimmy Fallon School of Hard Knocks.

HelloStuart

[1846]Apr 23, 2012
    • level: 63
    PatrickPsaila wrote:

Hi Stu just wondering why Weird Al has never been on the show. seems like he would be perfect, If Betty White gets a crack why not Al?

I'm sure there are plenty of reasons. My best guess is a conflict of style; Weird Al's goofy, straightforward persona and yen for song parodies wouldn't mesh well with SNL's sophisticated, all-original approach. Also, Yankovic has a strong cult following, but he's not an icon or showbiz survivor of White's caliber.

JustinRAn

[1847]Apr 24, 2012
    HelloStuart wrote:
    PatrickPsaila wrote:

Hi Stu just wondering why Weird Al has never been on the show. seems like he would be perfect, If Betty White gets a crack why not Al?

I'm sure there are plenty of reasons. My best guess is a conflict of style; Weird Al's goofy, straightforward persona and yen for song parodies wouldn't mesh well with SNL's sophisticated, all-original approach. Also, Yankovic has a strong cult following, but he's not an icon or showbiz survivor of White's caliber.

So Weird Al's too goofy for SNL? Let me direct you to the Jonah Hill 2 Digital short.
    Too Straightforward? Unlike Conan O'Brien and Jon Stewart?

drudager

[1848]Apr 24, 2012
    HelloStuart wrote:
    PatrickPsaila wrote:

Same reason why Andy Kaufman supposedly got banned by SNL fans? Just throwing that out there.

HelloStuart

[1849]Apr 24, 2012

drudager wrote:
    HelloStuart wrote:
    PatrickPsaila wrote:

Same reason why Andy Kaufman supposedly got banned by SNL fans? Just throwing that out there.

The "ban" was a publicity stunt devised by Kaufman himself. Alas, he didn't live long enough to "lift" the embargo. Back to Weird Al: don't you think he'd also be the wrong audience for SNL? For the last decade or so he's been skewing towards preteens. Plus, if he had hosted or performed on the show, the producers would've called him up circa Even Worse or UHF.

Edited on 04/24/2012 9:01am

Ruckhappy

[1850]Apr 29, 2012
    • level: 8

HelloStuart wrote:
    PatrickPsaila wrote:

I could ask Barry (Dr. Demento) and probably find out if Al was ever asked to host. I suspect that Stu has hit the nail. Like Tom Green, culture satirists don't jibe well to the SNL model. Al's schtick is just being Al. You can't really write him into a child psychologist sketch or whatever.

Ruckhappy

[1851]Apr 29, 2012

So...again, Stu: heard any rumors about Lorne's contract renewal/extension? We're getting into May and there's been no announcement that I've read.

HelloStuart

[1852]Apr 29, 2012
    Ruckhappy wrote:

So...again, Stu: heard any rumors about Lorne's contract renewal/extension? We're getting into May and there's been no announcement that I've read.

I'm still not worried. We'll probably hear a renewal announcement in a few weeks.

JustinRAn

[1853]May 13, 2012
    I'll bet he'll stay for a year or 2 to help Tina or whoever adjust to the job.

30 Rock does have a 13 episode count and NBC has been wanting Tina to takeover SNL. Sorry, I put 2 and 2 together.

JustinRAn

[1854]May 13, 2012
    Stu, In the last 5 years, Have there been any recurring characters you hated/ never understood? I still don't get how those ESPN Classics are funny, And Gilly was a pain to watch from her Rosario Dawnson debut.

JustinRAn

[1855]May 13, 2012
    evildevil97 wrote:
    HelloStuart wrote:
    evildevil97 wrote:
    When was the last Weekend Update featuring no guests, just the anchor or anchors doing the jokes? I went through Seth Meyers' entire run so far at SNL Archives, and it looks to me like The Maya Rudolph episode was the closest thing to that during his run as anchor. But I don't count it because she is technically a guest nowadays. I'd assume it doesn't go as far back as Colin Quinn's stint, but the segment got commentary-heavy since Fallon and Fey originally took over. When was the last time WU featured the anchor(s) and no one else?

I want to say Perry/Oasis, Year 23.
    Thanks. That long ago? With Norm> I was thinking it mightve been with Colin Quinn, and a check shows that the Hewitt/Beastie Boys show the following season was also commentaryless. Either way, that answers my question well enough. Mustve been in that era, either way you slice it. I miss those days.

Justin Timberlake 1 from Season 29 had no guests.

HelloStuart

[1856]May 13, 2012

JustinRAn wrote:
    Stu, In the last 5 years, Have there been any recurring characters you hated/ never understood? I still don't get how those ESPN Classics are funny, And Gilly was a pain to watch from her Rosario Dawson debut.

Well, nothing I outright hated, but there are plenty of recurring sketches that ran well past their shelf life. That category would probably include Gilly, Jean K. Jean,and Jon Bovi.

Edited on 05/13/2012 9:44pm

drudager

[1857]May 13, 2012
    HelloStuart wrote:

JustinRAn wrote:
    Stu, In the last 5 years, Have there been any recurring characters you hated/ never understood? I still don't get how those ESPN Classics are funny, And Gilly was a pain to watch from her Rosario Dawson debut.

Well, nothing I outright hated

Not even "Carol" ????!?!

JustinRAn

[1859]May 14, 2012
    Carol in many ways is similar to Gilly. Especially the theme song and trying to make a catch phrase (Sorry; Ah Huh)

Carol only was in 5 sketches during 3 years. ESPN was done 5 times in It's first year alone.

Ruckhappy

[1860]May 14, 2012

HelloStuart wrote:
    Ruckhappy wrote:

I'm still not worried. We'll probably hear a renewal announcement in a few weeks.

It's been a couple of weeks, NBC is doing upfronts and still no announcement. Interesting...

HelloStuart

[1861]May 14, 2012
    Ruckhappy wrote:

HelloStuart wrote:
    Ruckhappy wrote:

It's been a couple of weeks, NBC is doing upfronts and still no announcement. Interesting...

Because Lorne has nothing to do with the prime-time schedule. He's the executive producer of "30 Rock" in name only.

HelloStuart

[1862]May 14, 2012
    drudager wrote:
    HelloStuart wrote:

JustinRAn wrote:

Well, nothing I outright hated

Not even "Carol" ????!?!

That last aired in 2006. Justin asked for the last five years.