HelloStuart

[1886]Jun 3, 2012
    • level: 63
    stellarchick86 wrote:
    HelloStuart wrote:
    JustinRAn wrote:
    HelloStuart wrote:
    Nickycd wrote:
    I was wondering If you think they will ever re-air the Steve Buscemi Episode of SNL from last December. If they do do you think the Miley Cyrus show sketch with Maya playing Whitney Houston trying to get Myley off of drugs and warning her about the dangers will air intact or will they cut it because of Whitney's untimely death. It is one of the 2 eps from this past year i'm missing and would love to see it again.

I'm sure they'll repeat Buscemi/Black Keys eventually, with the Houston sketch intact. I think they're waiting for the historical irony to die down.

Tell that to the Brittany Murphy sketch that was cut after she passed.

That was an Update segment, and nobody knew beforehand that a gas leak was slowly killing Murphy. Houston's problems were much more public.

Thats what killed Brittany Murphy?? Wow. I still thought it was an OD as well.

Did I say gas leak? I meant inhaling toxic mold.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

drudager

[1887]Jun 3, 2012
    • level: 13
    HelloStuart wrote:
    stellarchick86 wrote:
    HelloStuart wrote:
    JustinRAn wrote:
    HelloStuart wrote:
    Nickycd wrote:
    I was wondering If you think they will ever re-air the Steve Buscemi Episode of SNL from last December. If they do do you think the Miley Cyrus show sketch with Maya playing Whitney Houston trying to get Myley off of drugs and warning her about the dangers will air intact or will they cut it because of Whitney's untimely death. It is one of the 2 eps from this past year i'm missing and would love to see it again.

I'm sure they'll repeat Buscemi/Black Keys eventually, with the Houston sketch intact. I think they're waiting for the historical irony to die down.

Tell that to the Brittany Murphy sketch that was cut after she passed.

That was an Update segment, and nobody knew beforehand that a gas leak was slowly killing Murphy. Houston's problems were much more public.

Thats what killed Brittany Murphy?? Wow. I still thought it was an OD as well.

Did I say gas leak? I meant inhaling toxic mold.

An eating disorder & prescription pill addiction. Mold would be too ironic considering they did that once on KOTH.

JustinRAn

[1888]Jun 13, 2012
    • level: 12
    This Isn't really a question, But if I told you at the beginning of the season that Jimmy Fallon would be funnier than Will Ferrell and Jonah Hill at hosting SNL, Would you have believed me?

drudager

[1889]Jun 13, 2012

Wow Undecided

What an interesting comment squeaked out that would be if this show actually had some consistency in its writing. It all varies on the time of year, how many days & weeks between episodes, what's going on, versatility of the host (if any) & the writing. If you're implying Fallon is better in general than Ferrell well that's just sadly misguided & was an incredible fluke.

JustinRAn

[1890]Jun 14, 2012
    I'm just saying his hosting was better than Will's. Nothing more, Nothing less.

HelloStuart

[1891]Jun 14, 2012
    JustinRAn wrote:
    This Isn't really a question, But if I told you at the beginning of the season that Jimmy Fallon would be funnier than Will Ferrell and Jonah Hill at hosting SNL, Would you have believed me?

Dolph's right, there are many intangibles, but a Fallon-hosted show could've been a smash or a dud and not anywhere in between.

CODlego98

[1892]Jun 18, 2012
    • level: 2

Does anybody know if a video or article exists that talks about how SNL came up with the "What up With That" Sketch? It is my favorite, and I really would like to know the crazy genius who came up with every part of the concept!

HelloStuart

[1893]Jun 19, 2012
    CODlego98 wrote:

Does anybody know if a video or article exists that talks about how SNL came up with the "What Up With That" Sketch? It is my favorite, and I really would like to know the crazy genius who came up with every part of the concept!

Besides a fairly threadbare Wikipedia article (I'm mentioning, not citing) I'm not aware of any articles about the sketch. My assumption is that one writer developed the original concept with Kenan, and it has since been written by committee.

JustinRAn

[1894]Jun 19, 2012
    HelloStuart wrote:
    CODlego98 wrote:

Does anybody know if a video or article exists that talks about how SNL came up with the "What Up With That" Sketch? It is my favorite, and I really would like to know the crazy genius who came up with every part of the concept!

Besides a fairly threadbare Wikipedia article (I'm mentioning, not citing) I'm not aware of any articles about the sketch. My assumption is that one writer developed the original concept with Kenan, and it has since been written by committee.

Written... HA HA HA HA!!!!

Like that sketch would need more than 1 person to write.

Ruckhappy

[1895]Jun 20, 2012
    • level: 9

HelloStuart wrote:

That sketch debuted the season that Hannibal Burress was writing for the show, so I would guess that he penned it.

From what I have read, Kenan hasn't originated any characters or written any sketches in his time on SNL. Which seems impossible. Aren't the cast obligated to pitch three sketches at each pitch meeting, just like the writers?

HelloStuart

[1897]Jun 20, 2012
    Ruckhappy wrote:

HelloStuart wrote:

That sketch debuted the season that Hannibal Burress was writing for the show, so I would guess that he penned it.

From what I have read, Kenan hasn't originated any characters or written any sketches in his time on SNL. Which seems impossible. Aren't the cast obligated to pitch three sketches at each pitch meeting, just like the writers?

I was under the impression that Kenan wrote just about anything that appeared on Update... until he was asked to stop.

drudager

[1898]Jun 21, 2012
    Ruckhappy wrote:

Seriously? He's been there ALL this time & he hasn't done anything? Why is he even there if he's just basically a random hired actor?

Going to sound like a broken record here but this is why I want cast turnover because who knows how many great talents are being denied a spot because of some ballhog who has been there forever. Look I know there's been some great people on SNL but even the greats need to leave after awhile. SNL is not a career, it's a stop.

drudager

[1899]Jun 21, 2012
    JustinRAn wrote:
    HelloStuart wrote:
    CODlego98 wrote:

Written... HA HA HA HA!!!!

Like that sketch would need more than 1 person to write.

Yeah that's a real mature comment.

Ruckhappy

[1900]Jun 21, 2012

drudager wrote:
    Ruckhappy wrote:

Seriously? He's been there ALL this time & he hasn't done anything? Why is he even there if he's just basically a random hired actor?

Because he's black. Which is not typical of black cast on SNL. Chris Rock and Tim Meadows had a hard time getting their stuff on air, but they pitched a lot. Maya was quite productive. Finesse Mitchell has talked about the impressions and characters he came up with.

Kenan never talks about characters or sketches that he's created. No one who is or was on SNL has said anything about Kenan throwing things out at the pitch meeting, from what I've read.

Maybe I've gotten the wrong impression. Kenan doesn't do a lot of interviews.

CODlego98

[1901]Jun 28, 2012
    • level: 2

I think Kenan does have some authority over sketches. In a recent article that I can't remember where I read it, they interviewed Maya Rudolph about her February hosting gig. They stated that Kenan had originally retired the "What up with that" sketch, which explains why it was seen so late this past season, and only appeared once. He was convinced by Maya, who loved the sketch and wanted to be involved with it, to bring it out of retirement for her hosting gig.

So, even if he didn't come up with it himself, he still had the authority to say if he wanted to do it anymore. He brought it back from hiatus, if lack of a better word, for Maya Rudolph.

Sorry if this is already a known fact of cast members deciding what characters to use, I known Kristen Wiig did with Gilly and Penelope, but I JUST WISH I remember where I read this. The interview was from last week, so it is pretty recent!

Ruckhappy

[1902]Jun 29, 2012

No, that sounds right. Fits with what's been said about the leeway Lorne gives to veteran cast.

HelloStuart

[1904]Jul 9, 2012

rishabhpb wrote:
    Stu, I've been looking for a sketch I saw a long time ago that I can't find: it's a news program that incorporated the whole cast, each with a crazy trait, ending with Parnell being an arsonist or something. Sound familiar?

Yes! "Action News," Year 30: http://snl.jt.org/detail.php?i=2005050714

HelloStuart

[1906]Jul 9, 2012
    rishabhpb wrote:
    HelloStuart wrote:

rishabhpb wrote:
    Stu, I've been looking for a sketch I saw a long time ago that I can't find: it's a news program that incorporated the whole cast, each with a crazy trait, ending with Parnell being an arsonist or something. Sound familiar?

Yes! "Action News," Year 30: http://snl.jt.org/detail.php?i=2005050714

Thanks! Fortunately, I hadn't deleted this one. Love that sketch!

Agreed! That was Suds' second sketch as a cast member, as I recall.

drudager

[1908]Jul 11, 2012
    rishabhpb wrote:
    I've made my way to Season 28, which'll probably be the end of my marathon.

Do you hate the show now like a seasoned veteran?

HelloStuart

[1910]Jul 12, 2012
    rishabhpb wrote:
    drudager wrote:
    rishabhpb wrote:
    I've made my way to Season 28, which'll probably be the end of my marathon.

Do you hate the show now like a seasoned veteran?

Not yet, but I haven't watched seasons 3-11

Seasons 3, 4, and 10 are amongst the series' best. Season 6 (a/k/a the strike-shortened Doumanian season) is easily the worst.