Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

Have an SNL question? Ask Stu!

  • Avatar of Ruckhappy

    Ruckhappy

    [1912]Jul 12, 2012
    • member since: 08/03/11
    • level: 9
    • rank: Door Number 2
    • posts: 801

    Seasons 3 and 4 are the epitome of Golden-Era SNL. Season 5 is a bit of a let down.


    Season 6 should have been used at Guantanamo to extract confessions.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of CODlego98

    CODlego98

    [1913]Jul 20, 2012
    • member since: 06/18/12
    • level: 2
    • rank: Sweat Hog
    • posts: 5

    Does anyone know when the host of a season priemere is usually announced? Alec Baldwin was announced as host for Season 37's priemere in the first week of August, so Season 38's first host should be announced pretty soon...

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of HelloStuart

    HelloStuart

    [1914]Jul 21, 2012
    • member since: 06/03/05
    • level: 63
    • rank: Browncoat
    • posts: 27,173
    CODlego98 wrote:

    Does anyone know when the host of a season premiere is usually announced? Alec Baldwin was announced as host for Season 37's premiere in the first week of August, so Season 38's first host should be announced pretty soon...



    Anywhere between then and late August.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Ruckhappy

    Ruckhappy

    [1915]Jul 23, 2012
    • member since: 08/03/11
    • level: 9
    • rank: Door Number 2
    • posts: 801

    They'll probably wait until after the Olympics, just in case there's a breakout star from the Games that they want to grab for the opener. If Phelps wins another 5-6 golds, there's a good chance he'll host it (sigh).

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of JustinRAn

    JustinRAn

    [1916]Sep 17, 2012
    • member since: 12/30/09
    • level: 12
    • rank: Evil Bert
    • posts: 1,286
    2 Quick Questions

    - What do you think of the new Intro this season?
    - Why did John Mulaney leave? Will that mean no more Stefan sketches?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Ruckhappy

    Ruckhappy

    [1917]Sep 17, 2012
    • member since: 08/03/11
    • level: 9
    • rank: Door Number 2
    • posts: 801

    JustinRAn wrote:
    Why did John Mulaney leave? Will that mean no more Stefan sketches?


    I checked up on him 3-4 weeks ago, seeing if he was gearing up to take over Update from Seth. He's in LA, doing the occasional stand-up gig. Made absolutely no mention of the season premier on his Twitter feed. Sounds rather distanced from all things SNL, although a Twitter feed is scant proof of anything.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of HelloStuart

    HelloStuart

    [1918]Sep 17, 2012
    • member since: 06/03/05
    • level: 63
    • rank: Browncoat
    • posts: 27,173
    JustinRAn wrote:
    2 Quick Questions

    - What do you think of the new intro this season?
    - Why did John Mulaney leave? Will that mean no more Stefan sketches?


    1. The intro is okay, though it feels more like I'm watching "Dateline" than SNL. I can see where you might think it evokes Year 23, though.
    2. I went straight (sort of) to the source; I PM'd his sister on Facebook. No word yet, but for now I'll assume Ruck is right.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Dirk13

    Dirk13

    [1919]Oct 21, 2012
    • member since: 12/01/04
    • level: 16
    • rank: Church Lady
    • posts: 1,042
    I mean, I know it was a solemn moment, but if you rewatch it (as I recently did) he seemed almost upset about something. He was frowning from the START of the scene and wasn't joining in on anything, and then walked off the stage at the end while everyone was hugging and stuff?

    If I didn't know any better, one would think him and Wigg had some kind of affair while working together or something.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of HelloStuart

    HelloStuart

    [1921]Oct 23, 2012
    • member since: 06/03/05
    • level: 63
    • rank: Browncoat
    • posts: 27,173
    rishabhpb wrote:
    Dirk13 wrote:
    I mean, I know it was a solemn moment, but if you rewatch it (as I recently did) he seemed almost upset about something. He was frowning from the START of the scene and wasn't joining in on anything, and then walked off the stage at the end while everyone was hugging and stuff?

    If I didn't know any better, one would think him and Wigg had some kind of affair while working together or something.


    ^ You forgot the actual question.


    I'm almost tempted to lock the thread Dirk started.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Dirk13

    Dirk13

    [1923]Oct 23, 2012
    • member since: 12/01/04
    • level: 16
    • rank: Church Lady
    • posts: 1,042
    HelloStuart wrote:
    rishabhpb wrote:
    Dirk13 wrote:
    I mean, I know it was a solemn moment, but if you rewatch it (as I recently did) he seemed almost upset about something. He was frowning from the START of the scene and wasn't joining in on anything, and then walked off the stage at the end while everyone was hugging and stuff?

    If I didn't know any better, one would think him and Wigg had some kind of affair while working together or something.


    ^ You forgot the actual question.


    I'm almost tempted to lock the thread Dirk started.


    Huh? What? why?

    Ok, I'll add the (very obvious) question, why was Sudekis so specifically upset seeming? It seemed very odd whatever the reason.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of HelloStuart

    HelloStuart

    [1924]Oct 26, 2012
    • member since: 06/03/05
    • level: 63
    • rank: Browncoat
    • posts: 27,173
    Dirk13 wrote:
    HelloStuart wrote:
    rishabhpb wrote:
    Dirk13 wrote:
    I mean, I know it was a solemn moment, but if you rewatch it (as I recently did) he seemed almost upset about something. He was frowning from the START of the scene and wasn't joining in on anything, and then walked off the stage at the end while everyone was hugging and stuff?

    If I didn't know any better, one would think him and Wigg had some kind of affair while working together or something.


    ^ You forgot the actual question.


    I'm almost tempted to lock the thread Dirk started.

    Huh? What? why?

    Ok, I'll add the (very obvious) question, why was Sudeikis so specifically upset seeming? It seemed very odd whatever the reason.

    Let me ask you this: have you ever had a friend that moved away? How did you react to that?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of csjohnson33

    csjohnson33

    [1925]Oct 28, 2012
    • member since: 08/08/10
    • level: 4
    • rank: Thighmaster
    • posts: 5

    Is there a warm-up comedian before the show?


    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Ruckhappy

    Ruckhappy

    [1926]Oct 28, 2012
    • member since: 08/03/11
    • level: 9
    • rank: Door Number 2
    • posts: 801
    Um, I'm trying to remember where I read it, but there was a description of the audience warm-up for a recent show, maybe in a blog posting. I was surprised by how extensive it was. One of the cast or writers told some jokes and did the usual house manager spiel: turn off your cells, don't leave your seats unless it's an emergency, etc. A couple of the girls sang. There was a band, but not the house band. It was all done by the cast, which surprised me. They need to warm up too, of course, but I would have assumed that after a full dress run they'd be plenty warm, even after a dinner break.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Woodstein

    Woodstein

    [1927]Oct 29, 2012
    • member since: 07/18/05
    • level: 14
    • rank: Autobot
    • posts: 777
    Are there any one-time sketches or obscure recurring bits from the show's run that either 1) you were surprised didn't appear again or 2) wouldn't have minded seeing more of? I'm kind of surprised that they didn't do a Two A-Holes sketch at any point in Kristen's last three seasons on the show, especially considering how much screen time her characters got around then.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of HelloStuart

    HelloStuart

    [1928]Nov 2, 2012
    • member since: 06/03/05
    • level: 63
    • rank: Browncoat
    • posts: 27,173
    csjohnson33 wrote:

    Is there a warm-up comedian before the show?



    Yes; sometimes a cast member, sometimes a writer. Among last year's warm-up guys were Seth Meyers, John Mulaney, and Zach Kanin.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of HelloStuart

    HelloStuart

    [1929]Nov 2, 2012
    • member since: 06/03/05
    • level: 63
    • rank: Browncoat
    • posts: 27,173
    Woodstein wrote:
    Are there any one-time sketches or obscure recurring bits from the show's run that either 1) you were surprised didn't appear again or 2) wouldn't have minded seeing more of? I'm kind of surprised that they didn't do a Two A-Holes sketch at any point in Kristen's last three seasons on the show, especially considering how much screen time her characters got around then.

    It's probably a mixed blessing that we didn't see more of the Two A-Holes; that was probably the one recurring character of Kristen's that was neither run into the ground nor subject to fan forum derision.

    As for your first question, that's a touch call; most of the characters I can think of either ran well past their course or stopped at the right moment. Part of me would've liked to have seen Will Forte play "The Falconer" beyond Year 31, but his last appearance was a surreal, albeit mostly satisfying climax.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of JustinRAn

    JustinRAn

    [1930]Nov 4, 2012
    • member since: 12/30/09
    • level: 12
    • rank: Evil Bert
    • posts: 1,286
    HelloStuart wrote:
    Woodstein wrote:
    Are there any one-time sketches or obscure recurring bits from the show's run that either 1) you were surprised didn't appear again or 2) wouldn't have minded seeing more of? I'm kind of surprised that they didn't do a Two A-Holes sketch at any point in Kristen's last three seasons on the show, especially considering how much screen time her characters got around then.

    ...that was probably the one recurring character of Kristen's that was neither run into the ground...


    Kristen had recurring characters that were run into the ground? First time I've heard anyone say that on these forums.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of HelloStuart

    HelloStuart

    [1931]Nov 5, 2012
    • member since: 06/03/05
    • level: 63
    • rank: Browncoat
    • posts: 27,173
    JustinRAn wrote:
    HelloStuart wrote:
    Woodstein wrote:
    Are there any one-time sketches or obscure recurring bits from the show's run that either 1) you were surprised didn't appear again or 2) wouldn't have minded seeing more of? I'm kind of surprised that they didn't do a Two A-Holes sketch at any point in Kristen's last three seasons on the show, especially considering how much screen time her characters got around then.

    ...that was probably the one recurring character of Kristen's that was neither run into the ground...


    Kristen had recurring characters that were run into the ground? First time I've heard anyone say that on these forums.

    Justin being sarcastic? That's a first, too.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of BuuYaa

    BuuYaa

    [1932]Nov 7, 2012
    • member since: 10/22/12
    • level: 2
    • rank: Sweat Hog
    • posts: 13

    i kind a noticed Sudeikis' weird attitude, especially in every closing parts, he just swept himself away from the stage while everyone's hugging. I don't know why but oh well i never really liked him at the first place.


    i do want to ask though, why Paul Brittain and Abby Elliot left the show? Were they let go? It was such a huge lost! I know Paul was not as funny as Taran or Jay and even though Abby made good impersonations she never really cracked people up, but still they were worth watching way more than Seth,Kenan,or Armisen even Jason still on the show. Paul would be so perfect taking Seth's role in Weekend Update. He's already way too much being on the show. What now like his 12th season? And Kenan is just plain boring nowadays. he used to be good but now he's basically a waste.


    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of JustinRAn

    JustinRAn

    [1933]Nov 7, 2012
    • member since: 12/30/09
    • level: 12
    • rank: Evil Bert
    • posts: 1,286
    Yeah, They were both let go. Although I think Paul left on his own terms.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.