Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

Have an SNL question? Ask Stu!

HelloStuart

[1935]Nov 12, 2012
    • level: 63
    BuuYaa wrote:

i do want to ask though, why Paul Brittain and Abby Elliott left the show? Were they let go? It was such a huge lost! I know Paul was not as funny as Taran or Jay and even though Abby made good impersonations she never really cracked people up, but still they were worth watching way more than Seth, Kenan,or Armisen even Jason still on the show. Paul would be so perfect taking Seth's role in Weekend Update. He's already way too much being on the show. What now like his 12th season? And Kenan is just plain boring nowadays. he used to be good but now he's basically a waste.

Paul quit, and NBC opted not to renew Abby's contract.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Ruckhappy

[1936]Nov 16, 2012
    • level: 8

HelloStuart wrote:
    Paul quit, and NBC opted not to renew Abby's contract.

Stu, if you get anymore diplomatic about your comments NBC Publicity will be recruiting you to flack for SNL.

It is almost certain that Lorne let Abby go because her talent in the context of being a member of the SNL cast had plateaued at a relatively low level. Stu himself predicted that she'd be fired a year ago. She just didn't have the chops to work at that level. They gave her every chance, and she just could not deliver.

Royce7815

[1937]Nov 19, 2012
    • level: 3

Stu i had a question about the episode hosted by Damon Wayans. How is it that he was able to bring a character from another show of a different network on to snl? doesn't fox have some type of rights over things like that or was it just his character to do with what he pleased, just curious.

HelloStuart

[1938]Nov 19, 2012
    Royce7815 wrote:

Stu i had a question about the episode hosted by Damon Wayans. How is it that he was able to bring a character from another show of a different network on to snl? Doesn't fox have some type of rights over things like that or was it just his character to do with what he pleased, just curious.

Long story short, Fox has a different set of policies about intellectual property. NBC's rules are among the strictest in the industry.

JustinRAn

[1939]Nov 19, 2012
    • level: 12
    I looked at your rating for Jimmy Fallon's episode and I have to know. Have there been shows you've given 10 out of 10?

Ruckhappy

[1940]Nov 19, 2012

If you search back I think that Stu has answered this question before. Generally, an actor or comedian "owns" any character they developed before they joined a show. For SNL I think there's specific language in the cast and writer contracts about that. If Wayans did a character that he'd developed on ILC, Fox likely waved their rights for the sake of the publicity. Remember, it was a big deal at the time to come back to SNL as a much bigger star, on another network, after he'd been fired from SNL.

Pulch23

[1941]Nov 21, 2012
    • level: 7

Do you know who wrote for Weekend Update in the 70's?

Edited on 11/21/2012 7:08pm

HelloStuart

[1942]Nov 22, 2012
    Pulch23 wrote:

Do you know who wrote for Weekend Update in the 70's?

In the first season it was mostly Chevy and Sarge, with some assistance from Alan, Al, and both Toms. The cast members either wrote or co-wrote their commentaries. After Chevy left, nearly everyone chipped in.

HelloStuart

[1943]Nov 22, 2012
    JustinRAn wrote:
    I looked at your rating for Jimmy Fallon's episode and I have to know. Have there been shows you've given 10 out of 10?

Exactly once. Steve Martin/Blues Brothers from Season 3, the gold standard.

Ruckhappy

[1944]Dec 3, 2012

Hey Stu, do we know if SNL has an official standard for what constitutes being a Five-Timer? Obviously, hosting five times automatically makes you one, but they threw Paul Simon into the first Five-Timer sketch even though he hadn't hosted five times. The reason I ask is that I'm wondering if they'll bend the rules for Paul McCartney and do a Five-Timer bit for him in this coming appearance. If you count all his cameos he's got enough SNL airtime to be considered a Five-Timer.

HelloStuart

[1945]Dec 3, 2012
    Ruckhappy wrote:

Hey Stu, do we know if SNL has an official standard for what constitutes being a Five-Timer? Obviously, hosting five times automatically makes you one, but they threw Paul Simon into the first Five-Timer sketch even though he hadn't hosted five times. The reason I ask is that I'm wondering if they'll bend the rules for Paul McCartney and do a Five-Timer bit for him in this coming appearance. If you count all his cameos he's got enough SNL airtime to be considered a Five-Timer.

I don't believe cameos count. I think the general rule is hosting five times, musical guest five times, or a mix of the two (like Simon). Justin Timberlake is technically a five-timer.

Ruckhappy

[1946]Dec 4, 2012

HelloStuart wrote:
    Ruckhappy wrote:

I don't believe cameos count. I think the general rule is hosting five times, musical guest five times, or a mix of the two (like Simon). Justin Timberlake is technically a five-timer.

Is he? I guess that's my point, that there's never been "official" confirmation that musical guest appearances count, other than the fact that Simon was in the first Five-Timer sketch. My sense that the "rule" is that you're a five-timer when you host five times or when Lorne says that you are, for which, for friends like Paul Simon or McCartney, the "rule" may be "close enough."

Dooneese

[1947]Dec 29, 2012
    • level: 1

Hi stu

firstly, thanks for this thread, I've now read almost half of it.

1. What was your favorite Kristen wiig character?

2. Do you think she will be back to host? And when?

Thanks

HelloStuart

[1948]Dec 29, 2012
    Dooneese wrote:

Hi Stu

firstly, thanks for this thread, I've now read almost half of it.

1. What was your favorite Kristen Wiig character?

2. Do you think she will be back to host? And when?

Thanks

Hello, Dooneese.

If I had to pick a favorite, I would say either Judy Grimes or Triangle Sally. As for hosting, it's not a question of "if" but "when"; my best guess is in another season or two.

JustinRAn

[1949]Dec 30, 2012
    Does Kalle count? Cause that was her best centered-sketch IMO.

Pulch23

[1950]Dec 31, 2012

With the site slowly waning, I wanted to ask some more personal questions. If you do not mind Stu.

1. When/How did you first see SNL and what made you become a lifelong fan?

2. How did you discover TV.com?

3. Did you have any favorite/least favorite memories in thisparticularforum?

Edited on 12/31/2012 3:37pm
    Edited 2 total times.

HelloStuart

[1951]Jan 1, 2013
    Pulch23 wrote:

With the site slowly waning, I wanted to ask some more personal questions. If you do not mind Stu.

1. When/How did you first see SNL and what made you become a lifelong fan?

2. How did you discover TV.com?

3. Did you have any favorite/least favorite memories in this particular forum?

1. Sometime in late 1992, my mom rented a tape from Blockbuster that had both Robert Klein episodes, and with nothing better to do I watched. The first live show I ever watched was Jason Alexander/Peter Gabriel, Year 18.

2. I discovered TV Tome in November 2002, than registered for an account on February 1st, 2003. When CNet bought out TV Tome in 2005, I stayed along. Next month will be my 10th anniversary on the site.

3. I'm not sure where to start. I'll give credit to anyone who made a joke that landed, though it doesn't happen as much anymore. I don't miss the petty bickering and name-calling, though.

Pulch23

[1952]Jan 1, 2013

HelloStuart wrote:
    Pulch23 wrote:

3. Did you have any favorite/least favorite memories in this particular forum?

3. I'm not sure where to start. I'll give credit to anyone who made a joke that landed, though it doesn't happen as much anymore. I don't miss the petty bickering and name-calling, though.

One aspect that I am most impressed about this forum is this actual Ask Stu thread.I've read through a couples pages from the first page and it's a fascinating time capsule.

Edited on 01/01/2013 4:28pm

JustinRAn

[1953]Jan 1, 2013
    Are there any one-shot sketches this season that you wouldn't mind recurring? Personally, I'd love to see Swarovski Crystals and Anthony Peter Coleman returning.

FOX News made a big deal about how Jamie Foxx's monologue was racist against white people. Do you agree/disagree?