Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

Have an SNL question? Ask Stu!

HelloStuart

[1955]Jan 1, 2013
    • level: 63
    rishabhpb wrote:
    JustinRAn wrote:

FOX News made a big deal about how Jamie Foxx's monologue was racist against white people. Do you agree/disagree?

So many comedians have been getting some stick for jokes they've made recently, and FOX isn't really something Foxx would worry about. If you've seen Django Unchained, a racially charged monologue was probably an appropriate prelude to the movie.

Agreed. Besides, who takes Fox News Channel all that seriously?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

JustinRAn

[1956]Jan 1, 2013
    • level: 12
    What about the other question I asked?

HelloStuart

[1957]Jan 2, 2013
    JustinRAn wrote:
    What about the other question I asked?

As far recurring sketches go, what happens, happens. I don't think another Coleman sketch would work; the first one already has a spot on Hader's imaginary TBO DVD. As far as other new characters in Year 38 go, it's slim pickins.

dvanlangen

[1958]Jan 3, 2013
    • level: 1

Stu,

I am looking for an episode that had a strange skit with an actor (player) holding a small, squealing pig. I can't recall the theme of the skit, but it seemed everyone was wearing a strange costume and there may have been some solo singing. But I definitely remember the squeal, as did my dog when she totally freaked out. This episode may have been from October 2004, but it could have also been an old show that was re-run during that time.

Thanks,

Dennis

Edited on 01/03/2013 9:48am

warqueen

[1959]Jan 4, 2013
    • level: 5
    dvanlangen wrote:

Stu,

I am looking for an episode that had a strange skit with an actor (player) holding a small, squealing pig. I can't recall the theme of the skit, but it seemed everyone was wearing a strange costume and there may have been some solo singing. But I definitely remember the squeal, as did my dog when she totally freaked out. This episode may have been from October 2004, but it could have also been an old show that was re-run during that time.

Thanks,

Dennis

Tom Green Episode 11/18/2000 in the "Dog Show" sketch with Will Ferrell and Molly Shannon.

JakeFrato

[1960]Jan 6, 2013
    • level: 7
    I got a question, and it is about something that has been bothering me as of late....

I have seen a lot of hate on the Bobby Moynihan "Space Cat" sketch. I for one, loved it. I can't stop saying "A lil Business Kiss" and "Tom Cat Cruise in Frisky Business". Why was there so much hate on the sketch? What were your thoughts on it?

HelloStuart

[1961]Jan 6, 2013
    JakeFrato wrote:
    I got a question, and it is about something that has been bothering me as of late....

I have seen a lot of hate on the Bobby Moynihan "Space Cat" sketch. I for one, loved it. I can't stop saying "A lil Business Kiss" and "Tom Cat Cruise in Frisky Business". Why was there so much hate on the sketch? What were your thoughts on it?

I wouldn't take it personally; everything is subjective. I suppose some people thought Bobby's performance was a tad cloying; my complaint was the plodding pace of the sketch.

JustinRAn

[1962]Jan 7, 2013
    Are there any episodes you hated upon first viewing but enjoyed more the second time? And Vice-versa?

HelloStuart

[1963]Jan 7, 2013
    JustinRAn wrote:
    Are there any episodes you hated upon first viewing but enjoyed more the second time? And Vice-versa?

A few here and there; there are only so many I've watched more than once. I famously shredded the Aguilera/Maroon 5 show from Year 29 (an episode that now bears some historical irony) but upon second viewing I revised my opinion from "ghastly" to "mediocre." In hindsight, it's typical of what aired that season but only slightly weaker than the median. On the flip side, I found Helen Hunt/Hanson to be passable upon first glance 15 years ago, but after catching it on CSNL a few years later I found nearly the whole show to be overtly cloying and pandering. Year 23 is probably the most uneven season of a show that's always lived sketch by sketch, but Hunt/Hanson was a low point exacerbated by its notoriety as Norm Macdonald's last show at the Update desk.

Ruckhappy

[1964]Jan 8, 2013
    • level: 8

HelloStuart wrote:
    JakeFrato wrote:
    I got a question, and it is about something that has been bothering me as of late.... I have seen a lot of hate on the Bobby Moynihan "Space Cat" sketch. I for one, loved it. I can't stop saying "A lil Business Kiss" and "Tom Cat Cruise in Frisky Business". Why was there so much hate on the sketch? What were your thoughts on it?
    I wouldn't take it personally; everything is subjective. I suppose some people thought Bobby's performance was a tad cloying; my complaint was the plodding pace of the sketch.

I'm gonna throw in a follow-up on this as an observation in a respect of the show in which I have some expertise. That Space Kitten (or whatever the actual title is) sketch is an almost exact copy of Kristen Wiig's Target Lady or Don't Make Me Sing signature sketches. It's a very, very basic premise: the lead does an unusually weird character and everyone reacts off of it. It's not even a proper sketch premise, really. More like an instance of a classic improv exercise...which, if you look back at the history of SNL, is the genesis of many of their most famous sketches.

Which is fine, except when it's not, like at the moment. If you read about SNL writers talking process, they'll mention being more "character-driven" or "plot-driven" writers. Bobby's kitten sketch is an example of a "character-driven" sketch in their nomenclature. Except it's not a sketch, it's a bit. It's just a bit stretched enough to play long enough. And if the audience doesn't think Bobby's character (or Wiig's) is funny, they've got nowhere to go, nothing else to laugh at in the sketch and it becomes excruciating to watch. Painful.

Now truthfully, some of the most famous SNL writers couldn't write a proper sketch to save their life, but they've always had a balance. Coming out of a strongly performer-driven phase of the show, though, they don't seem to have anyone who can write three-corner dialogue. Worse, they don't seem to know that they don't, or why that's a problem. And when they get stuck and dress up improv exercises as sketches, the writers don't seem to understand why that's not going to work and the audience is frustrated.

(By the way, yes, Dead Parrot and Cheese Shop are both dead simple two-handers and also two of the most funny sketches ever written. You can always pick out exceptions, but my point stands. If any of the writers on staff at the moment could write a Cheese Shop then there wouldn't be a problem, but none of them can.)

Edited on 01/08/2013 12:58pm

Hennes81

[1965]Jan 13, 2013
    • level: 5

1. Does someone know who the girl in the audience was who was kissed by Martin Short in the monologue? First I thought it was Cecily but since she appeared after it I'm wondering. I know it's not important but I keep asking this question myself whenever I rewatch the monologue.

2. Are those extras (I mean role without any text) also usually casted with writers or do they hire people for these parts? (Of course there are situations where actors are hired and some in which writers take those spots. I mean: Do they tend to one option if they have the choice?)

3. Finally a very basic question: These dancers who are always running around backstage (at skits which are filmed backstage). Is there a cultural american background for it which I don't understand or are those costumes related to NBC in some way?

I hope I managed to phrase the questions good enough. Just want to apologize for my faults in grammar and spelling from time to time.

Edited on 01/13/2013 12:48pm

HelloStuart

[1966]Jan 13, 2013
    Hennes81 wrote:

1. Does someone know who the girl in the audience was who was kissed by Martin Short in the monologue? First I thought it was Cecily but since she appeared after it I'm wondering. I know it's not important but I keep asking this question myself whenever I rewatch the monologue.

2. Are those extras (I mean role without any text) also usually casted with writers or do they hire people for these parts? (Of course there are situations where actors are hired and some in which writers take those spots. I mean: Do they tend to one option if they have the choice?)

3. Finally a very basic question: These dancers who are always running around backstage (at skits which are filmed backstage). Is there a cultural american background for it which I don't understand or are those costumes related to NBC in some way?

I hope I managed to phrase the questions good enough. Just want to apologize for my faults in grammar and spelling from time to time.

1. That was an extra. It would've been especially weird if that was his daughter Katie, but I doubt that was her.

2. Writers used to be prolific extras, but that's not the case anymore. Actors from local talent agencies are hired for those bit parts.

3. My most educated guess is that they're just filling out the scene, and the costumes are from storage.

Ruckhappy

[1967]Jan 17, 2013
    • level: 8

HelloStuart wrote:
    2. Writers used to be prolific extras, but that's not the case anymore. Actors from local talent agencies are hired for those bit parts.

They do seem to have some favored extras that they use. In a recent monologue bit I noticed that the extra sitting next to Steve Higgins was the same guy who was in Will Ferrell's turntable vomiting sketch from the early 2000's.

HelloStuart wrote:
    3. My most educated guess is that they're just filling out the scene, and the costumes are from storage.

It's a running gag that they populate "SNL backstage" with stereotypical figures that you might expect to see backstage at an old-style variety show: showgirls, people in odd character costumes, animals, etc. They've been doing it since the earliest days of the show. Originally the showgirls were meant as a nod to The Rockettes, I think. They might have even been Rockettes in the early days.

If you watch episodes of 30 Rock, when they're doing scenes during a performance of the faux-SNL show the fake backstage usually has a showgirl or two wandering around.

HelloStuart

[1968]Jan 17, 2013
    Ruckhappy wrote:

HelloStuart wrote:

They do seem to have some favored extras that they use. In a recent monologue bit I noticed that the extra sitting next to Steve Higgins was the same guy who was in Will Ferrell's turntable vomiting sketch from the early 2000's.

Oh, very much so. Look at all the sketches Andy Murphy (stocky old man) appeared in between seasons 3 and 28.

28skidoo

[1969]Feb 11, 2013
    • level: 3

Hey Stu!

My question is about SNL's directors: Don Roy King, and previously McCarthy-Miller, Miller, and Wilson. I was wondering,

1) What roles does the director play specifically on SNL? I can't imagine he's responsible for actor performances. Is it mostly photography and blocking he oversees?

2) Is there a marked difference between the show's directors? For instance, in your opinion, has any one done a better job than the others?

Thanks!

HelloStuart

[1970]Feb 13, 2013
    28skidoo wrote:

Hey Stu!

My question is about SNL's directors: Don Roy King, and previously McCarthy-Miller, Miller, and Wilson. I was wondering,

1) What roles does the director play specifically on SNL? I can't imagine he's responsible for actor performances. Is it mostly photography and blocking he oversees?

2) Is there a marked difference between the show's directors? For instance, in your opinion, has any one done a better job than the others?

Thanks!

1. More of the latter than the former. The writers essentially produce their own sketches.

2. That's a good question. Whatever differences between the four have been very subtle. I suppose Dave Wilson had the most conservative, old-school approach whereas BMM preferred more energy and faster cuts.

JustinRAn

[1971]Feb 13, 2013
    What is your formula to review episodes?

HelloStuart

[1972]Feb 15, 2013
    JustinRAn wrote:
    What is your formula to review episodes?

Simply put, the lump sum.

JustinRAn

[1973]Feb 16, 2013
    Can you elaborate?

Nickycd

[1974]Feb 17, 2013
    • level: 3

I have a quick question or questions. Why did SNL come back so late after Christmas? Why were there only 2 February episodes when we almost always get three and does that mean we won't see 22 episodesthis year if so does anybody out there know the schedule for the rest of the season?

Edited on 02/17/2013 7:24pm