Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

Have an SNL question? Ask Stu!

HelloStuart

[1975]Feb 17, 2013
    • level: 63
    JustinRAn wrote:
    Can you elaborate?

I put into consideration what aspects of the show I liked and disliked. It's no different that when movies are review on a one to four star scale, though this is a tad broader.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

HelloStuart

[1976]Feb 17, 2013
    Nickycd wrote:

I have a quick question or questions. Why did SNL come back so late after Christmas? Why were there only 2 February episodes when we almost always get three and does that mean we won't see 22 episodes this year if so does anybody out there know the schedule for the rest of the season?

Ms. Cyrus, it's an honor!

The number of live broadcasts in any given month are not set in stone, but unless something changed without our knowing we'll still have 22 live shows this season. My most educated guess is that the back eight will air March 2nd, 9th, and 16th; April 6th and 13th; and May 4th, 11th, and 17th.

JustinRAn

[1977]Feb 23, 2013
    • level: 12

Why did Colin start doing monologues before Weekend Update and why did it end after Colin left?

And, why do Weekend Update Anchors often not in sketches, especially compared to the first five years when Chevy, Danny, and Bill were?

Edited on 02/23/2013 9:34pm

HelloStuart

[1978]Feb 23, 2013
    JustinRAn wrote:

Why did Colin start doing monologues before Weekend Update and why did it end after Colin left?

And, why do Weekend Update anchors often not in sketches, especially compared to the first five years when Chevy, Danny, and Bill were?

1. Actually, Colin's monologue intro disappeared midway through Year 24, his first full year at the desk. Even though it demonstrated Quinn's knack for topical stand-up, it didn't mesh well with the standard Update format.

2. The short answer is, it depends on the cast member. Dennis Miller and Colin Quinn were basically exiled to the Update desk because they couldn't carry a sketch, whereas Norm and Seth felt more comfortable telling jokes.

Hennes81

[1979]Mar 11, 2013
    • level: 5

1. Who is your favorite as next 5-Timer-Club member?
    (Most logical for me would be Tina or Jon Hamm but maybe you have other ideas)

2. Who didn't get the fifth hosting gig but really should have in your opinion? Just a few names that come to your mind...

HelloStuart

[1980]Mar 11, 2013
    Hennes81 wrote:

1. Who is your favorite as next 5-Timer-Club member?

2. Who didn't get the fifth hosting gig but really should have in your opinion? Just a few names that come to your mind...

1. Of all the four-time hosts that have a legitimate shot, I would probably go with Ben Affleck.

2. Off the top of my head? Madeline Kahn.

Hennes81

[1981]Mar 23, 2013

Should I be worried about the shows future after reading this?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/19/seth-meyers-snl-should-end-when-lorne-michaels-retires_n_2907527.html

HelloStuart

[1983]Mar 24, 2013
    rishabhpb wrote:

Hennes81 wrote:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/19/seth-meyers-snl-should-end-when-lorne-michaels-retires_n_2907527.html

(a) Lorne isn't going to retire anytime soon (b) NBC isn't going to do what Tina Fey, Seth Meyers or anyone with good sense says.

Except when Tina and Seth become co-executive producers in five years.

JustinRAn

[1984]Mar 24, 2013
    HelloStuart wrote:
    rishabhpb wrote:

Hennes81 wrote:

(a) Lorne isn't going to retire anytime soon (b) NBC isn't going to do what Tina Fey, Seth Meyers or anyone with good sense says.

I just hope whoever replaces Lorne has his permission and support (So we have another Ebersol instead of another Doumanian)

HelloStuart

[1985]Mar 28, 2013
    JustinRAn wrote:
    HelloStuart wrote:
    rishabhpb wrote:

Hennes81 wrote:

I just hope whoever replaces Lorne has his permission and support (so we have another Ebersol instead of another Doumanian).

Barring another NBC debacle, I doubt anyone besides Lorne will have final say. More than likely, they'll promote from within.

As for Doumanian, she was the fall guy; it was so obvious that she was learning on the job. Her 12-episode reign was a noble failure.

Dooneese

[1986]Apr 27, 2013
    • level: 1

Not sure if this is the place to ask, but it's a question about SNL...sort of! So I am planning on trying my luck at the standby line for the kristen Wiig/ vampire weekend episode (can you tell I'm a Wiig fan? ) and I'm wondering if you have any tips on how early to be there or anything else really.

Dooneese

[1988]Apr 27, 2013
    • level: 1

Haha I almost wish that were true since he got to sit at the exclusive VIP seats.

HelloStuart

[1989]May 6, 2013
    Dooneese wrote:

Not sure if this is the place to ask, but it's a question about SNL...sort of! So I am planning on trying my luck at the standby line for the Kristen Wiig/ vampire weekend episode (can you tell I'm a Wiig fan? ) and I'm wondering if you have any tips on how early to be there or anything else really.

I've never attended a live show, but from what I've heard you put your name on the wait list, which is then determined in a random drawing. Make sure you're in or near NYC the day of the show; you'll get an e-mail or phone call in the late morning. That's my most educated guess.

Ruckhappy

[1990]May 7, 2013
    • level: 8

HelloStuart wrote:
    Dooneese wrote:

Not sure if this is the place to ask, but it's a question about SNL...sort of! So I am planning on trying my luck at the standby line for the Kristen Wiig/ vampire weekend episode (can you tell I'm a Wiig fan? ) and I'm wondering if you have any tips on how early to be there or anything else really.

I've never attended a live show, but from what I've heard you put your name on the wait list, which is then determined in a random drawing. Make sure you're in or near NYC the day of the show; you'll get an e-mail or phone call in the late morning. That's my most educated guess.

Uhhhhh, what? Stand-by is stand-by: you literally go stand in a special line outside the correct entrance at 30 Rock. Google it because lots of people have blogged about doing the stand-by line for SNL. The NBC pages put out a temporary barricade at some point and you're supposed to line up along that. I've heard that for less popular hosts you can get in the stand-by line late Friday afternoon and have a pretty good chance of getting in. It's highly variable, but plan on spending overnight on the sidewalk! At some point, usually Saturday morning, the NBC pages come out and give the current line sitters place tickets or wrist bands to show what place they hold in line, so you can bog off for a pee break or to get something to eat.

You're in luck: current forecast has chance of thunderstorms for Friday. That should cut down on the stand-by line.

Hennes81

[1991]May 25, 2013

You were right the last time. Do you wanna guess again?Cool

HelloStuart wrote:
    Hennes81 wrote:

Who is your favorite as next 5-Timer-Club member?

Of all the four-time hosts that have a legitimate shot, I would probably go with Ben Affleck.

HelloStuart

[1992]May 25, 2013
    Hennes81 wrote:

You were right the last time. Do you wanna guess again?Cool

HelloStuart wrote:
    Hennes81 wrote:

Who is your favorite as next 5-Timer-Club member?

Of all the four-time hosts that have a legitimate shot, I would probably go with Ben Affleck.

Yes. The only other four-timers at the moment are Dana Carvey and Ashton Kutcher; I'm leaning toward Kelso, but I don't think it's going to happen next season.

JustinRAn

[1993]Jun 19, 2013
    Which of these was the best hosting of former cast members:

Will Ferrell's 3rd Hosting, Kristen Wiig's Hosting, Jimmy Fallon's Hosting.

HelloStuart

[1994]Jun 25, 2013
    JustinRAn wrote:

Fallon's show, I suppose.

JustinRAn

[1995]Jun 25, 2013
    HelloStuart wrote:
    JustinRAn wrote:

Fallon's show, I suppose.

I just wanted to hear you say it. Sorry.

Ruckhappy

[1996]Jun 26, 2013
    • level: 8

I don't get the obsession with ranking Fallon's hosting gig, I really don't....