Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

Maya Rudolph

JessiMarie

[1]Oct 15, 2009
    • level: 2

I used to love her on SNL.. She was sooo funny.. Anyone know what shes up to now?? I found this recent clip of her and its so strange to watch because she is being so serious.: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ys0M9u0wQUA

Did she give up comedy or something?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Water78

[2]Oct 15, 2009
    • level: 47
    She is busy having babies with Paul Thomas Anderson. And might have a chanse on getting an oscar nod for Away We Go

HelloStuart

[3]Oct 15, 2009
    • level: 63
    Water78 wrote:
    She is busy having babies with Paul Thomas Anderson. And might have a chance of getting an Oscar nod for Away We Go.

Yeah, Maya was a dramatic actress long before SNL. As for her Oscar chances, she's a bit more of a dark horse now than she was in June/July.

thefanof

[4]Oct 16, 2009
    • level: 102
    I didn't see that movie, but I really doubt she was ever considered an Oscar nominee, even if the December/January/February bias for picking movies didn't exist.

Rudolph's problem is that she is not very attractive at all (sorry, but it's the truth) and that she's not funny enough to make up for it, like Amy Poehler has been able to. Women that fall into that category tend to have very poor post-SNL careers.
    Edited on 10/16/2009 12:31pm

Layna4U

[5]Oct 16, 2009
    JessiMarie wrote:

I used to love her on SNL.. She was sooo funny.. Anyone know what shes up to now?? I found this recent clip of her and its so strange to watch because she is being so serious.: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ys0M9u0wQUA

Did she give up comedy or something?

She didnt give up comedy.. thats just a clip for a documentary called The Black List Volume 2 that she was in.. You get to see a more serious side of her.. irs pretty interesting

HelloStuart

[6]Oct 17, 2009
    thefanof wrote:
    I didn't see that movie, but I really doubt she was ever considered an Oscar nominee, even if the December/January/February bias for picking movies didn't exist.

Rudolph's problem is that she is not very attractive at all (sorry, but it's the truth) and that she's not funny enough to make up for it, like Amy Poehler has been able to. Women that fall into that category tend to have very poor post-SNL careers.

How does being attractive make you a more viable Oscar contender?

TheDiamondDog

[7]Oct 17, 2009
    • level: 61

HelloStuart wrote:
    thefanof wrote:
    I didn't see that movie, but I really doubt she was ever considered an Oscar nominee, even if the December/January/February bias for picking movies didn't exist. Rudolph's problem is that she is not very attractive at all (sorry, but it's the truth) and that she's not funny enough to make up for it, like Amy Poehler has been able to. Women that fall into that category tend to have very poor post-SNL careers.

My thoughts exactly. There have been some less than average talents that took home the honors, and were well deserving.

HelloStuart

[8]Oct 17, 2009
    TheDiamondDog wrote:

HelloStuart wrote:
    thefanof wrote:
    I didn't see that movie, but I really doubt she was ever considered an Oscar nominee, even if the December/January/February bias for picking movies didn't exist. Rudolph's problem is that she is not very attractive at all (sorry, but it's the truth) and that she's not funny enough to make up for it, like Amy Poehler has been able to. Women that fall into that category tend to have very poor post-SNL careers.

My thoughts exactly. There have been some less than average talents that took home the honors, and were well deserving.

Though I still think Kate Hudson should've won Best Supporting Actress for "Almost Famous." Notice that all the terrible movies she's been in came after she played Penny Lane...

TheDiamondDog

[9]Oct 18, 2009
    • level: 61
    HelloStuart wrote:
    TheDiamondDog wrote:

HelloStuart wrote:
    thefanof wrote:

Though I still think Kate Hudson should've won Best Supporting Actress for "Almost Famous." Notice that all the terrible movies she's been in came after she played Penny Lane...

I didn't even know she was nominated for that. That was the only good movie she's been in, wasn't it?

DrMacabre

[10]Oct 19, 2009
    Wow why all the hate on Maya? I think she was great in Away we go and she is very cute. I dont think the Academy takes looks into consideration, I mean look how long it took Kate Winslet to win one! I've seen the Black list and it was refreshing to see her casually discussing her heritage. It is a side you dont get to see of many famous people.

thefanof

[11]Oct 19, 2009
    HelloStuart wrote:
    thefanof wrote:

You interpreted my post the wrong way. I was commenting on her appearance hindering her ability to get roles, not win awards.

HelloStuart

[12]Oct 20, 2009
    thefanof wrote:
    HelloStuart wrote:
    thefanof wrote:

You interpreted my post the wrong way. I was commenting on her appearance hindering her ability to get roles, not win awards.

Fair enough. Actresses like Maya tend to nab supporting roles in movies, not leading parts. Part of what made "Away We Go" work was because the movie wasn't a star vehicle; two actors aren't that well-known (or in this case, are above-average TV stars) made the characters more relatable.

JohnnySarcastic

[13]Oct 30, 2009

thefanof wrote:
    Rudolph's problem is that she is not very attractive at all...

Strange. I always thought she was really, really pretty.

As far as "funny" stuff she's done, she was in a ton of cut scenes from 'Anchorman' that got collected onto a bonus disc released with the movie at Wal-Mart, called 'Wake Up, Ron Burgundy.' I realize that's a few years ago now.

Also, she used to sing with the Rentals, which I found interested (an even longer time ago).

HelloStuart

[14]Oct 31, 2009
    JohnnySarcastic wrote:

thefanof wrote:
    Rudolph's problem is that she is not very attractive at all...

Strange. I always thought she was really, really pretty.

As far as "funny" stuff she's done, she was in a ton of cut scenes from 'Anchorman' that got collected onto a bonus disc released with the movie at Wal-Mart, called 'Wake Up, Ron Burgundy.' I realize that's a few years ago now.

Also, she used to sing with the Rentals, which I found interested (an even longer time ago).

Plus, her mom is Minnie Ripperton.

thefanof

[15]Nov 2, 2009
    For fans of Maya she's in the upcoming MacGruber film (stopping bombs with household materials!) and the upcoming all-star movie Grown Ups in Summer 2010 with Adam Sandler, Kevin James, Chris Rock and David Spade.
    Edited on 11/02/2009 3:22pm

trishuhhh

[16]Jan 8, 2010
    • level: 13
    is it sad that i see her as one of the orginals? i'm way too young hahah Will Ferrell Jimmy Fallon Maya Rudolph Amy Pohler Seth Meyers (in actual sketches) Chris Parnell ... i grew up watching them even Mike Meyers and Adam Sadler are before my time ahaha Maya was great tho