Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

Meet our newest cast members: Abby Elliott and Michella Watkins!

whoaitsconner

[1]Nov 12, 2008
    • level: 21

Here's the skinny:

http://thecomicscomic.typepad.com/thecomicscomic/2008/11/two-more-reason.html

Also, it's official- MADtv is cancelled.

Edited on 11/13/2008 9:19pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Water78

[2]Nov 12, 2008
    • level: 47

conner pulled a warqueen jk

bry456 was the first report the new cast members. weird they hired two. For mad it's a bit weird after Michael McDonald left the show the show get axed. If darrell leaves will SNL get axed. nah

HelloStuart

[3]Nov 12, 2008
    • level: 63

For those of you who don't know, Abby Elliott is the daughter of Chris Elliott, making her the first second-generation cast member in SNL history, unless you count Jim and Robert Downey. Also, just to make me feel even older than I already am, Abby is the first cast member that's younger than me and most of the regulars in this forum (she was born in 1987). It also goes without saying that Abby is the granddaughter of Bob Elliott of Bob & Ray fame, who guest-starred on SNL in 1978.

As for Mike Watkins, she used to play Hamish Linklater's girlfriend on "The New Adventures of Old Christine."

For more info, click here: http://defamer.com/5084549/estrogen-deficient-snl-adds-two-more-women-to-its-cast.

Edited on 11/12/2008 7:43pm

TheDiamondDog

[4]Nov 12, 2008
    • level: 61

Wow, Abby's only 21? She's so young. Normally, the new cast members are mid to late 20s. She's a year older than me.

I just saw this on OMG! about the new cast members. I was so surprised to see 2 women.

mp34mp

[5]Nov 13, 2008
    • level: 16
    TheDiamondDog wrote:

Wow, Abby's only 21? She's so young. Normally, the new cast members are mid to late 20s. She's a year older than me.

I just saw this on OMG! about the new cast members. I was so surprised to see 2 women.

I hope we don't see more of those lame Cougar sketches.

Water78

[6]Nov 13, 2008

this article says Lorne might be adding more new cast member later in the season

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/13/arts/television/13arts-TWOWOMENJOIN_BRF.html?_r=1&ref=arts&oref=slogin

i am guessing male cast members, making me think who's leaving

thecomedianky

[7]Nov 13, 2008
    • level: 19
    Water78 wrote:

this article says Lorne might be adding more new cast member later in the season

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/13/arts/television/13arts-TWOWOMENJOIN_BRF.html?_r=1&ref=arts&oref=slogin

They need an African-American female.

Water78

[8]Nov 13, 2008
    thecomedianky wrote:
    Water78 wrote:

In general they need more african americans on the show. .
    Edited on 11/13/2008 1:56pm

TheDiamondDog

[9]Nov 13, 2008
    Water78 wrote:
    thecomedianky wrote:
    Water78 wrote:

And someone new to play Obama.

Water78

[10]Nov 13, 2008
    TheDiamondDog wrote:
    Water78 wrote:
    thecomedianky wrote:
    Water78 wrote:

this still makes me wonder who else is leaving if they are going to hire more cast member later in the season.
    I know u dont care but i see the end for Will, Fred and Kenan soon. Maybe if seth wasnt a cast member and went back to writing full time. But those are just my thoughts. Who knows maybe darrell has decided to leave. not

TheDiamondDog

[11]Nov 13, 2008
    Water78 wrote:
    TheDiamondDog wrote:
    Water78 wrote:
    thecomedianky wrote:
    Water78 wrote:

this still makes me wonder who else is leaving if they are going to hire more cast member later in the season. I know u dont care but i see the end for Will, Fred and Kenan soon. Maybe if seth wasnt a cast member and went back to writing full time. But those are just my thoughts. Who knows maybe darrell has decided to leave. not

Weren't there rumors years ago that Darrell was gonna leave? Almost seems like he'll be on till the day he dies.

mp34mp

[12]Nov 13, 2008
    • level: 16
    Lorne's entering dangerous territory again... He held on to his core way too long and now there's going to be a lot of changes in a short period of time. It could be like a Season 20 again...or a season 21 or 11.

whoaitsconner

[13]Nov 13, 2008
    mp34mp wrote:
    Lorne's entering dangerous territory again... He held on to his core way too long and now there's going to be a lot of changes in a short period of time. It could be like a Season 20 again...or a season 21 or 11.

Actually, I was thinking of something more like season 31, with all those annoying old cast members.

HelloStuart

[14]Nov 13, 2008
    whoaitsconner wrote:
    mp34mp wrote:
    Lorne's entering dangerous territory again... He held on to his core way too long and now there's going to be a lot of changes in a short period of time. It could be like a Season 20 again... or a season 21 or 11.

Actually, I was thinking of something more like season 31, with all those annoying old cast members.

Same here. Both Seasons 17 and 31 had noticeable generation gaps, but 17 was more consistently funny.

There's no question that Lorne is stockpiling for the future, but he didn't seem happy with the smaller ensambles that he's dealt with in recent years. After all, Ho, Parnsy, and Finesse were fired in 2006 because of network-wide budget cuts. On the other hand, Lorne tries to retain actors for as long as humanly possible, so even I'm wondering who'll be seeking greener pastures after the season ends. For all we know, it could be anybody.

Water78

[15]Nov 14, 2008
    HelloStuart wrote:
    whoaitsconner wrote:
    mp34mp wrote:
    Lorne's entering dangerous territory again... He held on to his core way too long and now there's going to be a lot of changes in a short period of time. It could be like a Season 20 again... or a season 21 or 11.

Same here. Both Seasons 17 and 31 had noticeable generation gaps, but 17 was more consistently funny.

There's no question that Lorne is stockpiling for the future, but he didn't seem happy with the smaller ensambles that he's dealt with in recent years. After all, Ho, Parnsy, and Finesse were fired in 2006 because of network-wide budget cuts. On the other hand, Lorne tries to retain actors for as long as humanly possible, so even I'm wondering who'll be seeking greener pastures after the season ends. For all we know, it could be anybody.

u could mark out casey and bobby, but i dont think anybody would mind much if fred and will just happen to disappear from the show with no word of goodbye.

HelloStuart

[16]Nov 14, 2008
    Water78 wrote:
    HelloStuart wrote:
    whoaitsconner wrote:
    mp34mp wrote:

You could mark out casey and bobby, but i dont think anybody would mind much if fired and will just happen to disappear from the show with no word of goodbye.

I disagree- I would definitely miss Army and Orville. If there's anyone in the current cast that I wouldn't bat an eyelash for if he left, it'd be Kenan. I don't hate Thompson at all, but as a comedic actor there's nothing remarkable about him. At least Tracy Morgan had a personality, you know?

whoaitsconner

[17]Nov 14, 2008
    HelloStuart wrote:
    Water78 wrote:
    HelloStuart wrote:
    whoaitsconner wrote:
    mp34mp wrote:

You could mark out casey and bobby, but i dont think anybody would mind much if fired and will just happen to disappear from the show with no word of goodbye.

I disagree- I would definitely miss Army and Orville. If there's anyone in the current cast that I wouldn't bat an eyelash for if he left, it'd be Kenan. I don't hate Thompson at all, but as a comedic actor there's nothing remarkable about him. At least Tracy Morgan had a personality, you know?

I'd miss Will and Fred, but if they leave, it will probably be for the best. They would be terribly missed though. If Kenan left, I wouldn't really feel bad either. Samberg wouldn't hurt me either.

whoaitsconner

[18]Nov 14, 2008
    As for the whole generation gap thing, I think we should wait. We haven't even gotten an episode with the two newbies. I wanna see what the chemistry will be like.

Water78

[19]Nov 14, 2008
    HelloStuart wrote:
    Water78 wrote:
    HelloStuart wrote:
    whoaitsconner wrote:
    mp34mp wrote:

really i guess u didnt see them in 11/1/08's WU were they wasted 2 mintues signing bah bah beeh bah bah beeh or watever they did.
    my advice to lorne get rid of the dead weight (fred, kenan, will)

whoaitsconner

[20]Nov 14, 2008
    Water78 wrote:
    HelloStuart wrote:
    Water78 wrote:
    HelloStuart wrote:
    whoaitsconner wrote:
    mp34mp wrote:

really i guess u didnt see them in 11/1/08's WU were they wasted 2 mintues signing bah bah beeh bah bah beeh or watever they did.
    my advice to lorne get rid of the dead weight (fred, kenan, will)

I thought it was funny. It's always nice to actually have simple, stupid jokes. They will become deadweight if they stick around too long, but right now, they're fine.