Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

Possible Future Hosts/Musical Guests?

JM5000

[1]Dec 23, 2011
    • level: 7

I think I have become obsessed with mapping out the future of who is going to appear on this show. Charles Barkley is going to host on January 7th and Daniel Radcliffe the week after, with musical guests Kelly Clarkson and Lana Del Rey respectively.

So who do you think will/should host the show in the near future? Be realistic. Who is starring in an upcoming movie? What musicians have a new album coming out or already have one out, and will they be a possible double-duty host? What other celebrities are involved in an upcoming event? And out of all of those celebrities, who is popular, who is already an SNL favorite, and most importantly, who do YOU think has a right to host the show?

I'll get the ball rolling...

Host: Will Ferrell

To Promote: Casa de Mi Padre

Reason: A former SNL castmember, and a respectable two-time host, I feel that he has every right to come back to promote Casa de Mi Padre or any of his other upcoming films. Though I'm still considering this, since Jonah Hill has 21 Jump Street coming out the same day, and they can easily just give Ferrell a cameo appearance. Plus, this show seems to stick with a rule of two former castmembers per season. Jimmy Fallon had his turn, and I've been hearing rumors that Maya Rudolph will be hosting the finale. So I dunno...

Musical Guest: Jay-Z and Kanye West

To Promote: Watch the Throne

Reason: Both of these guys have appeared on SNL several times, and due to the fact that they're still releasing singles from this album, I can definitely picture SNL bringing them in to do a crossover performance like they did with Eminem and Li'l Wayne. My only hope is that if they do, they should NOT save them until near the end of the season. SNL has a habit of hyping up the rappers. (Jay-Z himself performed the second to last episode of Season 35 and Kanye performed the Christmas special of Season 34. Season 36 had Eminem and Li'l Wayne for the Christmas special and Diddy Dirty-Money two episodes before that.) While I understand that these guys are good performers, they don't need as much attention as they're getting...

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

HelloStuart

[2]Dec 23, 2011
    • level: 63
    I'll let this fly, under the condition that anyone who posts beyond this point (including you, JM5K) doesn't break the site rules about fan-fic. You can speculate about hosts and musical guests, but don't predict sketches or pretend that you're pitching to Lorne.

JM5000

[3]Dec 23, 2011

Fair enough. That's not the kind of thing I want here anyway. I just want everyone to consider who they'll likely bring on, as well as who might get a pass for public demand.

HelloStuart

[4]Dec 24, 2011
    Duly noted. My Christmas wish list of hosts and musical guests would be:

Michael Fassbender/Wilco
    Simon Pegg/TuNeYaRdS
    Sandra Bullock/Dawes

Ruckhappy

[5]Dec 27, 2011
    • level: 8

Simon Pegg would be great, and he's got plenty of high-profile flicks to promote at the moment. With those two and some choice picks for the remaining slots, SNL would be on track for one of the best selections of hosts in the last 15-20 years. Who needs Marci Klein?

How is Up All Night doing in the ratings? I think that'll determine whether Maya hosts this year. I mean, she's already done a cameo.

drudager

[7]Dec 28, 2011
    • level: 13

I'm going to go against the grain here and make a suggestion:

How about instead of always having the predictable 12:05am & 12:45am music spots, they change it up & move it around, and like back in the 1970s, substitute music guests with stand-ups & performers. I know SNL wants to reel in Jill & Johnny MP3 for ratings numbers but damn, this show's format is woefully repetitive for those of us who watch every single week. You could set your clock & breaks to it.

Also getting sick of political cold openings as well. That stuff is one-party berating & they never, ever make Obama look bad. As for considered hosts, I'm more inclined to list who I DON'T want to see. But I do want to see John Goodman, Steve Martin, even Casey Wilson and yes Buck Henry to go around one more time before he dies.

JM5000

[8]Dec 28, 2011

rishabhpb wrote:
    I'm a big Pegg fan, I'd also love it if he hosted. Radcliffe can't be the only Brit host this season! As for Up All Night... I'd prefer if Will Arnett hosted. Maya has already made an appearance this season, and anyway, I'm surprised Arnett hasn't already hosted. Being Amy's husband and an Arrested Development star, too!

Of course he doesn't have to be this year's only Brit host...Last year we had three, all within five episodes, and two of them were from the same movie.

I agree, Will Arnett should really host one of these days...

Whether Maya hosts or not, I honestly do hope a chick will host the finale this year; There hasn't been a female finale host since Lohan, which was about six years ago. In fact, it's been quite some time since a female has hosted the Christmas special. I'm only saying this because while I myself am a man, I do enjoy seeing women take the glorified position now and then...Only question is, who will it be, especially in this era where it seems that every single season must end with someone who has hosted at least once before and has proven themselves worthy enough...?

stellarchick86

[9]Dec 30, 2011
    • level: 32
    Sorry that I cant think of anyone specific with anything specific to promote, but add me to the list that would love to see Arnett and Pegg host.

TheDiamondDog

[10]Dec 30, 2011
    • level: 61

i'd love to see the lead actor from The Artist host. He was so good in the movie, and he got his start in a troupe.

JM5000

[11]Dec 30, 2011

I'm not gonna be forceful and tell everyone to start being more resourceful with possible hosts, because I can see that it's nice to think ahead for a possible good host. Still, if you want any ideas on possibilities, look up on upcoming movies and albums.

Having taken a look, I can see Dwayne Johnson, Jonah Hill and Steve Carell as possible hosts for upcoming episodes, though there's no guarantee since none of them are necessarily SNL favorites, yet they've all proven to be funny hosts.

But anyway, continue throwing in your ideal guests. I don't want to be a spoilsport and make everyone do research. But still, feel free if you want to make any predictions...

JM5000

[13]Dec 31, 2011

rishabhpb wrote:
    Someone from The Dark Knight Rises... Anne Hathaway? Joseph Gordon-Levitt? Christian Bale (lol)? Marion Cotillard? MICHAEL CAINE?

Knowing SNL, they'll likely go with Hathaway because they have a tendency of playing favorites (even though I didn't think she was that great last time). Though I wouldn't mind at all seeing Levitt host again...

HelloStuart

[14]Dec 31, 2011
    TheDiamondDog wrote:

i'd love to see the lead actor from The Artist host. He was so good in the movie, and he got his start in a troupe.

Sure, if Jean can speak anglais.

Hennes81

[15]Jan 5, 2012
    • level: 5

To get an oscar nominee (best actor or actress) should be hard this year because of the expected names. Of course Gordon-Levitt would be a great choice - but I dont know if he has to promote anything else in March...

Also I'm waiting for a cast member ofModern Familyto host (e.g. Julie Bowen, Ty Burrell, Eric Stonestreet) - maybe to promote the season ending in May.

HelloStuart

[16]Jan 5, 2012
    Hennes81 wrote:

To get an oscar nominee (best actor or actress) should be hard this year because of the expected names. Of course Gordon-Levitt would be a great choice - but I dont know if he has to promote anything else in March...

Also I'm waiting for a cast member of Modern Family to host (e.g. Julie Bowen, Ty Burrell, Eric Stonestreet) - maybe to promote the season ending in May.

Somebody already did. Check Year 15.

Hennes81

[17]Jan 6, 2012
    • level: 5

HelloStuart wrote:

Without checking I know Ed O'Neill already hosted. But besides this show 20 years ago I'm still wondering why no MF member has hosted and I'm sure someone will (this season or maybe next).

avmon

[18]Jan 6, 2012
    • level: 16
    Hennes81 wrote:

HelloStuart wrote:

Without checking I know Ed O'Neill already hosted. But besides this show 20 years ago I'm still wondering why no MF member has hosted and I'm sure someone will (this season or maybe next).

If the show picks anyone from "Modern Family" to host, the first will probably be Sofia Vegara.

stellarchick86

[19]Jan 6, 2012
    • level: 32
    I was also wondering about someone from Modern Family. Besides Ed O'Neal, they have 5 adults to chose from yet none of them have been on. I expected Julie Bowen because of her Emmy win.
    Edited on 01/06/2012 5:03pm

drudager

[20]Jan 8, 2012
    stellarchick86 wrote:
    I was also wondering about someone from Modern Family. Besides Ed O'Neal, they have 5 adults to chose from yet none of them have been on. I expected Julie Bowen because of her Emmy win.

Well, it could be actor conflicting schedules, or they may not want to host, or NBC doesn't want to do ABC any favors by promoting MF. Looking at the past 4 years of hosts, my memory isn't that great, but I don't see any ABC show hosts on there. Just seems like movie actors & NBC alumni.

drudager

[21]Jan 8, 2012
    avmon wrote:
    Hennes81 wrote:

HelloStuart wrote:

If the show picks anyone from "Modern Family" to host, the first will probably be Sofia Vegara.

Eh, they'll probably pick the short kid that plays her son. It's always the least obvious choice.

HelloStuart

[22]Jan 8, 2012
    drudager wrote:
    stellarchick86 wrote:

Well, it could be actor conflicting schedules, or they may not want to host, or NBC doesn't want to do ABC any favors by promoting MF. Looking at the past 4 years of hosts, my memory isn't that great, but I don't see any ABC show hosts on there. Just seems like movie actors & NBC alumni.

And four combined actors from CBS and Fox shows.