Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

Possible Future Hosts/Musical Guests?

stellarchick86

[23]Jan 8, 2012
    • level: 32
    drudager wrote:
    [or NBC doesn't want to do ABC any favors by promoting MF. Looking at the past 4 years of hosts, my memory isn't that great, but I don't see any ABC show hosts on there. Just seems like movie actors & NBC alumni.

Yeah, thats true, which is really stupid. Just because someones on a show from a different network, that doesnt mean that the person wouldnt be a good host and bring good ratings to that station (NBC).
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

avmon

[24]Jan 8, 2012
    • level: 17

stellarchick86 wrote:
    drudager wrote:
    [or NBC doesn't want to do ABC any favors by promoting MF. Looking at the past 4 years of hosts, my memory isn't that great, but I don't see any ABC show hosts on there. Just seems like movie actors & NBC alumni.
    Yeah, thats true, which is really stupid. Just because someones on a show from a different network, that doesnt mean that the person wouldnt be a good host and bring good ratings to that station (NBC).
    The last host from "another network" was Jason Segel ("How I Met Your Mother") last November. Though I have to add he was previously on NBC on the short-lived "Freaks and Geeks" which was produced by his pal and mentor, Judd Apatow back in the late '90s...

Edited on 01/08/2012 10:57pm

drudager

[25]Jan 9, 2012
    • level: 13
    stellarchick86 wrote:
    drudager wrote:

Well, NBC is like consistently #4 / last place in the ratings. They're having a hard enough time trying to compete against ABC's Thursday night lineup, and seeing NBC's a la creme spot getting destroyed by crap like "Wipeout" and awful crap like "Grey's Anatomy", why should NBC throw them a bone? It'd be like giving a revenue sharing check to the New York Yankees. http://www.thefutoncritic.com/ratings/2012/01/06/abc-wins-thursday-with-season-highs-for-wipeout-greys-and-private-practice-993203/20120106abc01/

stellarchick86

[26]Jan 9, 2012
    ^I see what youre saying, and I agree with it to an extent, but at the same time, thats part of what SNL does. Their job is to have some host that will bring in high ratings for 2 hours on a Saturday night in exchange for that host promoting their show/album/movie/etc. If they would bring in Jason Segel, as mentioned before, who was on a CBS show, that would bring in high ratings for that particular Saturday night in exchange for the promotion. They cant account for every single show on NBC that is being beaten out in ratings by every single show on different networks. If they are that worried about the ratings for that particular show that is against a particular show on another network, then thats what guest stars/ads/etc are for. Otherwise, they are going to keep bringing in the same hosts that are only tied to NBC and people are going to stop tuning in and then there wont be a show at all.

HelloStuart

[27]Jan 9, 2012
    • level: 63
    stellarchick86 wrote:
    ^I see what youre saying, and I agree with it to an extent, but at the same time, thats part of what SNL does. Their job is to have some host that will bring in high ratings for 2 hours on a Saturday night in exchange for that host promoting their show/album/movie/etc. If they would bring in Jason Segel, as mentioned before, who was on a CBS show, that would bring in high ratings for that particular Saturday night in exchange for the promotion. They cant account for every single show on NBC that is being beaten out in ratings by every single show on different networks. If they are that worried about the ratings for that particular show that is against a particular show on another network, then thats what guest stars/ads/etc are for. Otherwise, they are going to keep bringing in the same hosts that are only tied to NBC and people are going to stop tuning in and then there wont be a show at all.

I almost agree with that. However, Jason was promoting The Muppets, not HIMYM or F&G.

drudager

[28]Jan 9, 2012
    stellarchick86 wrote:
    Otherwise, they are going to keep bringing in the same hosts that are only tied to NBC and people are going to stop tuning in and then there wont be a show at all.

I think NBC is petty enough to do that, and I think they've been doing that with all the movie stars & NBC alumni including some of the worst cast members ever on the show have been hosting & making cameos multiple times. I think the SNL format has become tired and predictable. I think the number of TV show hosts has been vastly declining, and we only see a few non-NBC ones a season. Plus as mentioned, Segal & McCarthy were promoting movies & not their CBS shows.

stellarchick86

[29]Jan 9, 2012
    drudager wrote:
    I think NBC is petty enough to do that

True.

drudager wrote:
    I think the SNL format has become tired and predictable. I think the number of TV show hosts has been vastly declining, and we only see a few non-NBC ones a season.

Completely agree.

HelloStuart wrote:
    I almost agree with that. However, Jason was promoting The Muppets, not HIMYM or F&G.

Yeah, I know he wasnt promoting the show as the main thing, but if someone saw him on SNL and wanted to know more about his work then they could always try out his show. IDK, in my mind it made sense lol.

JM5000

[30]Feb 3, 2012
    • level: 9

It's been a while since anyone's posted here...

What about Robert Downey Jr.? With all the hype it's getting, I think it's only natural that somebody from the Avengers movie hosts to promote it...And who better than the guy who's been getting a LOT of requests to be brought back ever since he first played Iron Man? Of course, they could just as easily bring back Scarlett Johansson, who was kind of mediocre when she hosted just last season (and I've never been that big on her hosting anyway), or even Gwyneth Paltrow...And as good as she did last season, I definitely would not consider her the best person to represent the movie. It's now or never; If he isn't hosting to promote the Avengers, then something tells me that either SNL doesn't want him back, or he doesn't want to COME back, which would be a pity, but what are you gonna do?

HelloStuart

[31]Feb 4, 2012
    JM5000 wrote:

What about Robert Downey Jr.? With all the hype it's getting, I think it's only natural that somebody from the Avengers movie hosts to promote it...And who better than the guy who's been getting a LOT of requests to be brought back ever since he first played Iron Man? Of course, they could just as easily bring back Scarlett Johansson, who was kind of mediocre when she hosted just last season (and I've never been that big on her hosting anyway), or even Gwyneth Paltrow...And as good as she did last season, I definitely would not consider her the best person to represent the movie. It's now or never; If he isn't hosting to promote the Avengers, then something tells me that either SNL doesn't want him back, or he doesn't want to COME back, which would be a pity, but what are you gonna do?

My theory is that Robert Downey views SNL the same way Eddie Murphy does: as juvenilia. Both actors were 19 years old when they were cast members, both have hosted exactly once since, they've both gone on to bigger and better things.

TheDiamondDog

[32]Feb 4, 2012
    • level: 61

HelloStuart wrote:
    JM5000 wrote:

My theory is that Robert Downey views SNL the same way Eddie Murphy does: as juvenilia. Both actors were 19 years old when they were cast members, both have hosted exactly once since, they've both gone on to bigger and better things.

Robert Downey was on SNL? I mean Downey Jr.

drudager

[33]Feb 4, 2012
    Personally I have no interest in Paltrow or Downey Jr hosting again. I'd rather have somebody new than some boring repeater. Will we see Eddie Murphy on the season finale or premiere one of these years? Tho I'm not holding my breath.

stellarchick86

[35]Feb 10, 2012
    Yeah, Downey Jr seems like he'd be in the Johnny Depp/possible Pitt and Clooney "not going to happen" camp.

JM5000

[36]Feb 13, 2012

Let's talk about musical guests. I have here a list of musicians who have performed on SNL at least once before who have released an album or are releasing an album later this year. I am well aware that they range from "absolutely not" to "highly unlikely" to "maybe" to "possibly" to "almost certain" (and I know at least one individial in this list who's banned, but I listed her anyway). However, I am no expert with how they all did in the past and how much SNL respects them all enough to bring them back. So let's play a game: Who do you think should/likely will be brought back within the next year. (If I'm breaking any rules, please let me know, and I will delete this post...And I'll meanwhile reread the rules myself.)

50 Cent
    Aerosmith
    Bonnie Raitt
    Britney Spears
    Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band
    Busta Rhymes
    Carrie Underwood
    Chris Brown
    Counting Crows
    DMX
    Dr. Dre
    Eve
    Fiona Apple
    Franz Ferdinand
    Garbage
    Ja Rule
    Jack White
    Janet Jackson
    Jason Mraz
    John Mayer
    Lil Wayne
    Linkin Park
    Lionel Richie
    Ludacris
    Madonna
    Maroon 5
    Mary J. Blige
    Meat Loaf
    Missy Elliott
    Muse
    Nelly Furtado
    Nicki Minaj
    No Doubt
    Norah Jones
    Outkast
    Paul McCartney
    Pearl Jam
    Phoenix
    Public Enemy
    Regina Spektor
    Rihanna
    Sean Paul
    Sinead O'Connor
    Soul Asylum
    Soundgarden
    Tenacious D
    The Chieftains
    The Cranberries
    The Killers
    The Shins
    Ting Tings
    U2
    Usher

stellarchick86

[37]Feb 13, 2012
    Seems like Paul M would make the most sense since doesnt he have a new album out? And performed at the grammys. I love bands like Franz Ferdinand, The Killers (didnt they break up?), Muse, etc so Id be in that camp.

JM5000

[38]Feb 13, 2012

stellarchick86 wrote:
    Seems like Paul M would make the most sense since doesnt he have a new album out? And performed at the grammys. I love bands like Franz Ferdinand, The Killers (didnt they break up?), Muse, etc so Id be in that camp.

ALL of these musicians have new albums out or are releasing them sometime this year. I'm not actually certain about McCartney; He seems more like an every-now-and-then musical guest (his last musical guest appearance on the show was only his third, the first was way back in 1980 and the second was in the early 90s. Though I dunno...He's also very respected by Lorne (since Lorne has clearly shown to be a hardcore Beatles fan). I'd put him in the "Maybe" category.

Out of all of them on the list, the one I find most likely is the Killers (I guess they got back together...) They've just established themselves best out of all these listed past performers as one of SNL's favorites. Though I would also like to see Muse again, since they were one of the best of Season 35 (aka, my low point of the recent show).

Some of these I'm not sure whether they'll come back or not simply because their album might just be a cover album, primarily Bonnie Raitt and Aerosmith. But those two are also old SNL favorites, so if not, I think it's time to catch up on some old nostalgia...

Does anyone know about the Cranberries? Their new album's coming out today, and I know that they appeared once before on SNL. Because of their Irish background, they might be a good choice for the March 17th episode...That is, if they are respectable enough on a live stage...

TheDiamondDog

[40]Feb 14, 2012
    • level: 61

I had been hoping last year Panic! At The Disco would have been back on. Vices and Virtues was a great album, so much better than Pretty. Odd., and they returned to their theatrical roots.

I am surprised Cobra Starship hasn't been on yet. The more annoying radio they get, the more known they get.

Same with Evanescence, who have been out longer. Still hoping for that.

HelloStuart

[41]Feb 14, 2012
    TheDiamondDog wrote:

I had been hoping last year Panic! At The Disco would have been back on. Vices and Virtues was a great album, so much better than Pretty. Odd., and they returned to their theatrical roots.

I am surprised Cobra Starship hasn't been on yet. The more annoying radio they get, the more known they get.

Same with Evanescence, who have been out longer. Still hoping for that.

I'd put Owl City in the same category with Cobra.

As for The Cranberries, they were a musical guest in one of the better episodes of Year 20.

Ruckhappy

[42]Feb 14, 2012

I can't believe that they haven't had the Beastie Boys on this season to commemorate their HoF induction.

Also, SNL has completely missed out on the alternative hip hop movement in Cali. Jurassic 5, Blackalicious, etc. They'll put on an alternative white rock group like Arcade Fire when they're barely a major-label band but completely miss out on the instantly-legendary J5.

HelloStuart

[43]Feb 14, 2012
    Ruckhappy wrote:

I can't believe that they haven't had the Beastie Boys on this season to commemorate their HoF induction.

Also, SNL has completely missed out on the alternative hip hop movement in Cali. Jurassic 5, Blackalicious, etc. They'll put on an alternative white rock group like Arcade Fire when they're barely a major-label band but completely miss out on the instantly-legendary J5.

Well, they never had Zeppelin or Pink Floyd either, except as solo artists.

stellarchick86

[44]Feb 14, 2012
    Ooh I love Keane as well, so hope they return too. Also surprised about Evanescence not being on