Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

Possible Future Hosts/Musical Guests?

JustinRAn

[224]Apr 14, 2013
    • level: 12
    I wouldn't mind seeing Ludacris as both host and musical guest. He has a new Album coming out soon and is going to be In Fast & Furious 6

Or Amy Adams since she'll be in Man Of Steel?

And this would be a total wish/dream that Robert Downey Jr. would host again. I know he's really famous now, But I think he'd be up for hosting.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

jcav422

[225]Apr 15, 2013
    • level: 2
    Looking at their tour, Vampire Weekend's only MG slot would be 5/11, before their stop in Boston on 5/15. They're in detroit the night before the finale.

JM5000

[226]Apr 16, 2013
    • level: 7

One thing I'm wondering is if they might do something similar to last season and possibly have Dave Grohl host the finale (to promote the Nirvana reunion) with Queens of the Stone Age as musical guest (since he's associated with them). It would actually make sense, especially since he's shown potential in his sketch appearances.

Vampire Weekend could also be up next, though perhaps they'll hold off on them and see how their new album does before bringing them in next season...It could go either way...

jcav422

[227]Apr 18, 2013
    • level: 2

Oh no... new music five-timer?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/18/kanye-west-snl_n_3109785.html?utm_hp_ref=entertainment

Edited on 04/19/2013 10:51am

Ruckhappy

[228]Apr 19, 2013
    • level: 8

JM5000 wrote:
    Any other ideas, specifically female ones?

Here's an outlier guess: Amy Poehler. She was a big enough star to host the opener two seasons ago, and she's the star of what is now de facto NBC's flagship sitcom. Also, if Seth and Jason are leaving after this season, Amy would be the perfect person to give them heartfelt farewells during the goodnights. Plus if Amy hosts you've got the excuse to bring in Fey, Rudolph, Dratch, or anyone from Parks & Rec, to cameo. Anyone, really. Amy's worked with everybody, and everyone loves the Polecat. Plus, at the end of what, I'm guessing, has been a pretty arduous season backstage, with everyone knackered and looking on for the summer, a week-long blast of that Poehler energy is a sure-fire way to have a good season-closer.

HelloStuart

[229]Apr 19, 2013
    • level: 63
    Ruckhappy wrote:

JM5000 wrote:

Here's an outlier guess: Amy Poehler. She was a big enough star to host the opener two seasons ago, and she's the star of what is now de facto NBC's flagship sitcom. Also, if Seth and Jason are leaving after this season, Amy would be the perfect person to give them heartfelt farewells during the goodnights. Plus if Amy hosts you've got the excuse to bring in Fey, Rudolph, Dratch, or anyone from Parks & Rec to cameo. Anyone, really. Amy's worked with everybody, and everyone loves the Polecat. Plus, at the end of what, I'm guessing, has been a pretty arduous season backstage, with everyone knackered and looking on for the summer, a week-long blast of that Poehler energy is a sure-fire way to have a good season-closer.

Poehler would be my most educated guess, too. On paper, Knope/Yeezy would a great sendoff to Year 38.

As far as departures go, I'm more like to assume Fred and Suds are heading to greener pastures. Seth hosting Late Night in 2014 is still speculative, and there's nothing to indicate that he's relinquishing the chair.

JM5000

[230]Apr 19, 2013

Kanye was an unexpected one, because while I was well aware that he had a new album coming out, he hasn't released anything related to it yet. If he had, he would have been my first guess for the finale, after that spectacle of a performance last time...All I have to say is that if he is closing the season, I will not accept anything less than what he did last time.

Yes, Poehler sounds like a good choice for the finale...We'll just have to see if this prediction proves correct...

So assuming they end the season with someone who's hosted before, I'm thinking the penultimate show will be hosted by someone new, since after four consecutive recurring hosts and before another one, they'll probably want a break. Dave Grohl/Queens of the Stone Age still sounds like a possibility to me...

But I digress...Who else is relevant right now who hasn't hosted the show yet?

HelloStuart

[231]Apr 19, 2013
    JM5000 wrote:

But I digress...Who else is relevant right now who hasn't hosted the show yet?

Let's see... Barack Obama, Joe Biden, John Boehner, Vladimir Putin, Stephen Harper, David Cameron...

JM5000

[232]Apr 20, 2013

By the way, about the departure thing, I would predict Fred and Jason at the end of this season, Seth halfway through next season, and Kenan at the end of next season...However, there is also someone involved with this show I would say should depart real soon...A certain announcer, anyone?

JustinRAn

[233]Apr 20, 2013
    HelloStuart wrote:
    Ruckhappy wrote:

JM5000 wrote:

Here's an outlier guess: Amy Poehler. She was a big enough star to host the opener two seasons ago, and she's the star of what is now de facto NBC's flagship sitcom. Also, if Seth and Jason are leaving after this season, Amy would be the perfect person to give them heartfelt farewells during the goodnights. Plus if Amy hosts you've got the excuse to bring in Fey, Rudolph, Dratch, or anyone from Parks & Rec to cameo. Anyone, really. Amy's worked with everybody, and everyone loves the Polecat. Plus, at the end of what, I'm guessing, has been a pretty arduous season backstage, with everyone knackered and looking on for the summer, a week-long blast of that Poehler energy is a sure-fire way to have a good season-closer.

Poehler would be my most educated guess, too. On paper, Knope/Yeezy would a great sendoff to Year 38.

As far as departures go, I'm more like to assume Fred and Suds are heading to greener pastures. Seth hosting Late Night in 2014 is still speculative, and there's nothing to indicate that he's relinquishing the chair.

Don't forget Nasim for John Mulaney's Show.

HelloStuart

[234]Apr 21, 2013
    JustinRAn wrote:
    HelloStuart wrote:
    Ruckhappy wrote:

JM5000 wrote:

Don't forget Nasim for John Mulaney's show.

If the show is picked up.

As for Pardo, it's becoming more apparent that he seems to have some health issues. The fact that he commutes from Boca to NYC for one day's work twenty-odd times a year is absurd. He just turned 95, for chrissakes.

Hennes81

[235]Apr 21, 2013
    • level: 5

HelloStuart wrote:
    As for Pardo, it's becoming more apparent that he seems to have some health issues. The fact that he commutes from Boca to NYC for one day's work twenty-odd times a year is absurd. He just turned 95, for chrissakes.

He isn't travelling to NY for 3 seasons now. His voice is pretaped in his home.
    It's easy to recognize if you compare his season 35 (live) voice overs (which lacked good timing often) to all opening montages from season 36 on. Also it was mentioned in various news stories (e.g. HERE).

I'm hoping he will continue to do his job as long as he is able to. Even at age 95 it's not that much work for him. I'm hoping his voice will be on the show for a couple more years!

Ruckhappy

[236]Apr 22, 2013
    • level: 8

I'm still a little wary of the fact that they got Pardo to un-retire and continue to announce for SNL at one point. He should not be announcing for the show these days unless it is absolutely on his own volition.

As for departures, losing Nasim will sting a bit but the future of the old vets is starting to seem irrelevant. The new cast has proven to be so good, it won't really matter if all the post-contract vets leave or none of them leave. Even Bill. Fred's a major PITA to have lingering in the cast, but he can only screw up one sketch per show, at worst.

What matters is what's going to happen with the writing staff, and thus whether Seth is leaving. I don't see how you can ignore all the signs that Seth likely is leaving, Stu, but how about this one? As of this season, Seth has tied Jim Downey for the longest tenure as SNL head writer--and Seth Meyers is no Jim Downey in terms of writing talent. The fact is, Seth inherited a very strong staff from Tina...and from then on it's been a slow decay to the point where they can barely write an original live sketch anymore. There will be a lot of speculation about the writing staff after they wrap this season, and Seth likely knows that. He knows to get while the getting is good.

JustinRAn

[237]Apr 22, 2013
    Pardo is still working? I thought Darrel was doing to Cast Introduction.

Hennes81

[238]Apr 22, 2013
    • level: 5

JustinRAn wrote:

At Waltz/Alabama Shakes the Cast Introduction was Pardo (most likely an old recording), but host and MG was announced by Bill Hader.
    A week later the complete opening montage had another voice on it - and I would also think it was DH.

From the JT episode on it was Pardo once again (but they could have used old recordings for Timberlake and McCarty/Phoenix). Vaughn/Miguel was definitely again done by Pardo.

HelloStuart

[239]Apr 22, 2013
    Hennes81 wrote:

HelloStuart wrote:

He isn't travelling to NY for 3 seasons now. His voice is pretaped in his home.
    It's easy to recognize if you compare his season 35 (live) voice overs (which lacked good timing often) to all opening montages from season 36 on. Also it was mentioned in various news stories (e.g. HERE).

I'm hoping he will continue to do his job as long as he is able to. Even at age 95 it's not that much work for him. I'm hoping his voice will be on the show for a couple more years!

Don lives in Arizona? I got the state wrong. He was commuting as recently as three years ago, that much I assure you.

JustinRAn

[240]Apr 23, 2013
    Hennes81 wrote:

JustinRAn wrote:

At Waltz/Alabama Shakes the Cast Introduction was Pardo (most likely an old recording), but host and MG was announced by Bill Hader.
    A week later the complete opening montage had another voice on it - and I would also think it was DH.

From the JT episode on it was Pardo once again (but they could have used old recordings for Timberlake and McCarty/Phoenix). Vaughn/Miguel was definitely again done by Pardo.

Oh, Sorry. They might as well let Darrell do it. Let Pardo relax.