Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

Possible Future Hosts/Musical Guests?

HelloStuart

[87]Apr 18, 2012
    • level: 63
    JM5000 wrote:

As for the finale, I've already talked about Hathaway several times...But as for the musical guest, what is the best choice? They usually like to close the season with someone who's performed on the show before, did a good job, and promise some fun performances (like Lady Gaga last year).

Skim through any online summer music preview and draw your own assumptions.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

drudager

[88]May 11, 2012
    • level: 13
    Well we can add Whitney Cummings to the list to host for next season now that her abomination of a show got picked up for a 2nd season. Jiminy cripes, I still can't believe it...

avmon

[89]May 11, 2012
    • level: 16

drudager wrote:
    Well we can add Whitney Cummings to the list to host for next season now that her abomination of a show got picked up for a 2nd season. Jiminy cripes, I still can't believe it...
    She also co-created "2 Broke Girls" which I like. SNL alum Garrett Morris has some moments in that show.

Edited on 05/11/2012 9:41pm

JM5000

[90]May 12, 2012
    • level: 7

Possible hosts for the first half of next season:

Jon Hamm: Since he didn't host this season, they'll probably want to bring him in early next season to make up for it. Nothing to promote, but I can definitely see him hosting the season premiere, since fresh break-out hosts tend to do that...Or maybe he'll host the Halloween special for the third time, who knows...

Jennifer Laurence: I don't know much about her, but I do know that she's been in quite a few movies lately (including "The Hunger Games"), and has a few more coming up in the Fall/Winter. I think she might be relevant enough to be brought in. I can picture her as the second host.

Joseph Gordon-Levitt: Several movies in the fall and a role in "The Dark Knight Rises" which I'm sure will do a good enough job to get an after-plug. While he was far from the best host of Season 35, he was still a lot of fun, and I think it's time he gets his second stint.

Justin Bieber: We all know this one's coming...I just hope he's brought in early on instead of hyped toward the Christmas special or anything...(PS, I just noticed that that's four consecutive people whose names start with a J.)

Tim Tebow: Possibly to hype up Football Season. Maybe he'll suck, maybe he'll be half-decent like the Manning Brothers, who knows...

Whitney Cummings: I guess if "Whitney" is getting a second season...I don't know much about this chick aside from a few appearances on the Comedy Central Roasts...I suppose she'll be this season's stand-up comedian...

Will Arnett: Probably the reason why they had Maya Rudolph host during Season One of "Up All Night" was because they wanted to move the line along, because all three of the main characters of that show have reason enough to host. Since Maya was the former castmember, she had to be first in line, and I think next in line will be the man who's had a pretty good comedic career and is married to another former castmember. I know Christina Applegate hosted once before a long time ago (not sure how she did...), but whatever the case, I can see them bringing her back at some point regardless...

Julia Louis-Dreyfuss: As avmon suggested, she's a possibility with her show "Veep"...I guess she was a good enough host the last two times to warrant a comeback.

Robert Pattinson: For what I hope is the last movie in the "Twilight" series...He's shown some comedic chops before, so SNL is probably interested...

Tom Hanks: I know he's in a movie in the Fall...But aside from that, he's one of the more infrequent frequent hosts on this show. It's been a while since he hosted, so maybe it's finally time they bring him back...

Anne Hathaway: Bringing the number up to eleven, meaning at least one of these people will not be hosting the first half. But with "Les Miserables" coming out this Christmas, and the probable after-success of "The Dark Knight Rises", maybe she'll be the first female in a while to host the Christmas special...

HelloStuart

[91]May 12, 2012
    ^ There are some good picks there, but I beg to differ with Tebow and Pattinson. The Jets' new backup QB doesn't come off as the self-deprecating type, and his refusal to comment on (or acknowledge) the Jesus sketch from earlier this year might make one assume he was offended. As for Pattinson, he has nothing going for him besides "Twilight"; a lame duck celeb, if you will. It would be like Mark Hamill hosting in 1983.

JM5000

[92]May 12, 2012

HelloStuart wrote:
    ^ There are some good picks there, but I beg to differ with Tebow and Pattinson. The Jets' new backup QB doesn't come off as the self-deprecating type, and his refusal to comment on (or acknowledge) the Jesus sketch from earlier this year might make one assume he was offended. As for Pattinson, he has nothing going for him besides "Twilight"; a lame duck celeb, if you will. It would be like Mark Hamill hosting in 1983.

Oh well, those were the two I'm least interested in seeing anyway...

Ruckhappy

[93]May 14, 2012
    • level: 9

I would just add to Stu's comment that, unless Mark Sanchez gets hit by a garbage truck, Tebow will likely be a rapidly fading star in the NFL by next fall. He doesn't have an NFL-quality arm and he's apparently a little dense, which is not what you want in a host. The surprising thing about the Manning boys is that, though they can come off as lugubrious jocks, they were both actually quick-witted enough to savvy the basics of how to host SNL.

Jennifer Lawrence is a big star now, but not so huge that they'd have her host unless she had a big movie to plug. I do get the vibe from her that she'd be a good host.

I'm so sure that Arnett will host in the fall that I'll call the episode: 2nd, assuming that fits the shooting schedule of Up All Night.

JM5000

[94]May 14, 2012

Ruckhappy wrote:

I would just add to Stu's comment that, unless Mark Sanchez gets hit by a garbage truck, Tebow will likely be a rapidly fading star in the NFL by next fall. He doesn't have an NFL-quality arm and he's apparently a little dense, which is not what you want in a host. The surprising thing about the Manning boys is that, though they can come off as lugubrious jocks, they were both actually quick-witted enough to savvy the basics of how to host SNL.

Jennifer Lawrence is a big star now, but not so huge that they'd have her host unless she had a big movie to plug. I do get the vibe from her that she'd be a good host.

I'm so sure that Arnett will host in the fall that I'll call the episode: 2nd, assuming that fits the shooting schedule of Up All Night.

Who knows? He's another one I considered a possibility for the premiere.

JustinRAn

[95]Jun 29, 2012
    • level: 12
    With this being 30 Rocks final season, I expect at least 3 cast members hosting alone.

Plus NBC has like 20 new shows this year filled with people that would probably make good hosts.

And maybe someone from Studio 6B that has a pretty good SNL track record.

JM5000

[96]Jun 30, 2012

Since I'm still waiting for a female to host the finale again, maybe this will be the perfect time to let Tina host it...

And what I've ultimately learned about the hosts, every season there is about 1-4 former castmembers, two musicians (and at least one of them has to serve double-duty) and an athlete...The athlete could be anyone...For musicians, I'd say Bieber for Winter 2012, and Gaga for Spring 2013 (I saw that she has another album coming out, and SNL's probably waiting for the right time to have her host). As for former castmembers, I would say Fey, Dreyfus and maybe Morgan and Wiig...

HelloStuart

[97]Jul 1, 2012
    JM5000 wrote:

Since I'm still waiting for a female to host the finale again, maybe this will be the perfect time to let Tina host it...

Does the gender of the host really matter? Honestly.

JM5000

[98]Jul 1, 2012

HelloStuart wrote:
    JM5000 wrote:

Does the gender of the host really matter? Honestly.

Not really, but they usually want to switch it up every now and then...I've just been thinking it's been a while...

Ruckhappy

[99]Jul 1, 2012
    • level: 9

30 Rock is schedule to air it's last half-season in the fall, so the timing wouldn't be right for Tina to host the finale. Maybe the Christmas show.

Three stars from 30 Rock hosting is highly unlikely. It's possible that Tina would step aside for McBrayer or Jane K, and then cameo on their show along with other cast from 30 Rock. Also, I bet you that Baldwin will cameo on the season opener doing some kind of satire on his run-ins with the papparazi.

JM5000

[100]Jul 2, 2012

Ruckhappy wrote:

30 Rock is schedule to air it's last half-season in the fall, so the timing wouldn't be right for Tina to host the finale. Maybe the Christmas show.

Three stars from 30 Rock hosting is highly unlikely. It's possible that Tina would step aside for McBrayer or Jane K, and then cameo on their show along with other cast from 30 Rock. Also, I bet you that Baldwin will cameo on the season opener doing some kind of satire on his run-ins with the papparazi.

Maybe, but let's not forget that this is a show that has a tendency to bring back their favorites whenever they can...A cameo would work fine, but the question is, will THEY be satisfied with that? Oh well, this is the next season anyway, I probably shouldn't dwell on it for the next two months...

We'll just see who SNL will bring in to host, because in terms of TV actors, they have a LOT to choose from for this season...

TheDiamondDog

[101]Jul 3, 2012
    • level: 61

I just imagine the host might be from the top star of the summer.

avmon

[102]Jul 3, 2012
    • level: 16
    TheDiamondDog wrote:

Maybe that could be Christian Bale of The Dark Knight Rises unless it's whoever is portraying The Amazing Spider-Man right now...

JustinRAn

[104]Jul 3, 2012
    • level: 12
    rishabhpb wrote:
    avmon wrote:
    TheDiamondDog wrote:

Maybe that could be Christian Bale of The Dark Knight Rises unless it's whoever is portraying The Amazing Spider-Man right now...

Andrew Garfield was already on the Emma Stone show though.

"Here Comes the Boom" produced by Happy Madison and starring Kevin James is out in October. I'd put him down to host. I'd have said Liam Neeson for Taken 2 (Oct), but he was just on. What about one of the octogenarians from Expendables 2?

Terry Crews would be a good host.

HelloStuart

[105]Jul 4, 2012
    rishabhpb wrote:
    avmon wrote:
    TheDiamondDog wrote:

It's been almost a year, why not?

TheDiamondDog

[106]Jul 4, 2012
    • level: 61

HelloStuart wrote:
    rishabhpb wrote:
    avmon wrote:
    TheDiamondDog wrote:

It's been almost a year, why not?

I think Andrew could do comedy. I do half expect him to appear ass host. Granted, I honestly thought the band fun. would appear as a musical guest in spring...

Psy4potato

[107]Jul 4, 2012
    • level: 10

I really would love to see Chelsea Handler host... I think she would be great. She does sketches on her show once in a while that are funny and she'd just be great!