Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

Possible Future Hosts/Musical Guests?

drudager

[108]Jul 4, 2012
    • level: 13
    Psy4potato wrote:

I really would love to see Chelsea Handler host... I think she would be great. She does sketches on her show once in a while that are funny and she'd just be great!

She was on "Whitney". Maybe they could co-host on an episode. Killing two birds with one stone.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

HelloStuart

[111]Jul 6, 2012
    • level: 63
    rishabhpb wrote:
    drudager wrote:
    Psy4potato wrote:

I really would love to see Chelsea Handler host... I think she would be great. She does sketches on her show once in a while that are funny and she'd just be great!

She was on "Whitney". Maybe they could co-host on an episode. Killing two birds with one stone.

She had her own show, too. Imagine hosting after it getting canned!

I think Dolph mixed "Whitney" up with "Are You There, Chelsea?" I'm not in a rush to see Handler host, but whatever.

Also, having something to promote is not necessarily a requirement for the season premiere; look at Megan Fox in Year 35.

drudager

[112]Jul 6, 2012

HelloStuart wrote:
    I think Dolph mixed "Whitney" up with "Are You There, Chelsea?" I'm not in a rush to see Handler host, but whatever. .

In one episode of "Whitney", Handler played Whitney's psychiatrist. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1314546/#Actress

I'd cuss you out but I'm too mentally damaged with scars from the experience of actually knowing this

Edited on 07/06/2012 11:09am

drudager

[113]Jul 6, 2012
    HelloStuart wrote:
    Also, having something to promote is not necessarily a requirement for the season premiere; look at Megan Fox in Year 35.

Ah, the Jenny Slate cuss-out episode.

Psy4potato

[114]Jul 13, 2012
    • level: 10
    drudager wrote:
    HelloStuart wrote:

Jenny Slate..... a big mistake letting her go

Even though Chelsea's show got cancelled, she still has Chelsea Lately and After Lately.....I think she'd be great.

HelloStuart

[115]Jul 14, 2012
    Psy4potato wrote:
    drudager wrote:
    HelloStuart wrote:

Jenny Slate..... a big mistake letting her go

Even though Chelsea's show got cancelled, she still has Chelsea Lately and After Lately.....I think she'd be great.

Perhaps, but talk shows hosts on SNL are few and far between. Leno hosted 6 1/2 years before taking the reins from Carson. Oprah hosted the same year, one year before going national.

JustinRAn

[116]Jul 15, 2012
    • level: 12
    Ummm...
    Jimmy Fallon
    Conan O'Brien
    Jon Stewart

HelloStuart

[117]Jul 15, 2012
    JustinRAn wrote:
    Ummm...
    Jimmy Fallon
    Conan O'Brien
    Jon Stewart

Exactly. It's not like talk show hosts take the SNL reins more than, say, every five years.

Ruckhappy

[119]Jul 15, 2012
    • level: 9

What other host of a popular "talk show" who has not yet hosted is an SNL alumnus? I'm predicting that he will host this fall.

HelloStuart

[121]Jul 15, 2012
    rishabhpb wrote:
    Ruckhappy wrote:

What other host of a popular "talk show" who has not yet hosted is an SNL alumnus? I'm predicting that he will host this fall.

Stephen Colbert has written/done voiceovers/been on SNL, but has never hosted. He said he wants to, so I wonder why hasn't he been asked.

Chances are, he's been asked but turned it down for schedule reasons. Also, does Colbert count as an SNL alum? That's like saying Mindy Kaling is, too.

Ruckhappy

[123]Jul 16, 2012

IIRC, Colbert wrote for the show for a whole season. And, unlike Jon Stewart, Colbert has an improv background. He's only become a big enough start to warrant a hosting gig in the last 2-3 years, so he might not have been asked to host yet.

When and how did Mindy Kaling work on SNL? I could also see her hosting as well, if her sitcom is a hit.

HelloStuart

[124]Jul 16, 2012
    Ruckhappy wrote:

IIRC, Colbert wrote for the show for a whole season. And, unlike Jon Stewart, Colbert has an improv background. He's only become a big enough start to warrant a hosting gig in the last 2-3 years, so he might not have been asked to host yet.

When and how did Mindy Kaling work on SNL? I could also see her hosting as well, if her sitcom is a hit.

Kaling had a five-episode "guest stint" as a writer toward the end of Year 31. She discusses her complete lack of productivity in her book "Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?" Colbert had a similar run at the beginning of Year 22.

JM5000

[125]Aug 5, 2012
    • level: 8

Musical Guest Predictions:

It's hard to say what new musical guests they'll bring in this season, but there is a fair share of recurring ones who I can see coming back...

Aerosmith: It's been years since these guys have performed on the show, but that's only because it's been years since they've released any official albums. They have promoted every album on SNL since the 90s, so this could be a big return for them...

Dave Matthews Band: Another one of SNL's frequent favorites...I can picture them performing for the premiere depending on what kinds of singles are released in the near future.

Green Day: These guys I'm not certain about, since so far, they're more of the occasional musical guest type (like every five to ten years)...Still, it might be interesting to see a musical guest promote not one, not two, but three upcoming albums (they go into a trilogy).

Justin Bieber: Just have the kid host already so we never have to see his pretty-boy smile on this show again...

Kanye West: Just one appearance away from becoming a five-timer, and after his epic Season 36 performance, I guess it's only suitable to bring him back at least one more time. (Although then again, the frequency of his appearances might make him a bit annoying...)

The Killers: These guys have been well-established on SNL, and I can totally picture them being one of the first musical guests...

Lady Gaga: After her last few stints, I'd say she's due for at least one more appearance. And this time, she'll likely host.

Muse: They were awesome last time...Need I say more?

No Doubt: Another band we haven't seen in a while...Though Gwen Stefani has made her share of appearances on the show. Couple that with the hype of the upcoming album, and I'd say we have a shoo-in for Season 38.

U2: If I'm not mistaken, they've promoted every new album on the show since the early 2000s (even though so far they've only been on the show three times). They're one of those musical guests that tend to deliver some pretty epic performances, so I'll at least consider them a possibility.

drudager

[126]Aug 6, 2012
    Ugh. Those are all terrible & many are well past their prime; if they had any at all. .And no we DON'T need to waste a whole show on Bieber just to get rid of him. They should keep him off the show. If he hosted I would not watch it. Popular music today is just... not good. How about some straight Blues & Jazz acts?

JM5000

[127]Aug 7, 2012
    • level: 8

drudager wrote:
    Ugh. Those are all terrible & many are well past their prime; if they had any at all. .And no we DON'T need to waste a whole show on Bieber just to get rid of him. They should keep him off the show. If he hosted I would not watch it. Popular music today is just... not good. How about some straight Blues & Jazz acts?

The problem with that is that there aren't enough blues or jazz musicians in the mainstream these days...I've prayed many times for them to bring in someone different than usual, and the most unusual we've gotten lately was Paul McCartney and Mick Jagger performing their old hits. SNL likes giving half its slots to new up-and-comers...But they still like to spend the other half milking their favorites.

Anyway, that's basically why I listed all those musicians, because the producers just seem to like them, and they will likely have most of them on this season whether you like them or not. Personally, while I'm not the biggest fan of most of them, I don't hate any of them (except maybe Bieber). I won't argue that music these days is generally crappy, but I still think SNL does a good job most of the time steering clear of the crappy stuff (unless it's THAT popular) and mostly brings in respectable musical guests.

But whatever, we're all entitled to our opinions...

HelloStuart

[128]Aug 10, 2012
    JM5000 wrote:

drudager wrote:

The problem with that is that there aren't enough blues or jazz musicians in the mainstream these days...I've prayed many times for them to bring in someone different than usual, and the most unusual we've gotten lately was Paul McCartney and Mick Jagger performing their old hits. SNL likes giving half its slots to new up-and-comers...But they still like to spend the other half milking their favorites.

Anyway, that's basically why I listed all those musicians, because the producers just seem to like them, and they will likely have most of them on this season whether you like them or not. Personally, while I'm not the biggest fan of most of them, I don't hate any of them (except maybe Bieber). I won't argue that music these days is generally crappy, but I still think SNL does a good job most of the time steering clear of the crappy stuff (unless it's THAT popular) and mostly brings in respectable musical guests.

But whatever, we're all entitled to our opinions...

Right off the top of my head, what about Esperanza Spaulding? Never mind the Grammy infamy, she's a bassist/vocalist and she's sold more jazz CDs in the last three years than anyone else.

Biopic_guy

[129]Aug 22, 2012
    • level: 1

I don't know who they would chose for the host but i can see them getting Carly Rae Jepsen for musical guest

Royce7815

[130]Aug 22, 2012
    • level: 4

Biopic_guy wrote:

I don't know who they would chose for the host but i can see them getting Carly Rae Jepsen for musical guest

Yeah i know probably for the season premier

HelloStuart

[131]Aug 22, 2012
    My shot in the dark prediction? Joseph Gordon-Levitt/The Killers on 9/15. I'd suggest Anne Hathaway, but that show occurred in 2008.

Ruckhappy

[133]Aug 23, 2012

I'm guessing Gabby Douglas will host the opener, with some subset of the US gymnast girls making cameos. I don't know who else they'd pick. There's no obvious breakout star from the summer flicks to have host. Maybe Jennifer Lawrence, flogging her new horror film. Going with an Olympian seems like the safe bet right now.

Weren't Jepsen's fifteen minutes up about a month ago?