Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

Possible Future Hosts/Musical Guests?

TheDiamondDog

[134]Aug 23, 2012
    • level: 61

I'd still like to see fun. on. And Grouplove now.

As for hosts, it really is hard for me to figure out who was the big news this summer. Not counting Robert Pattinson.

Jepsen has a new song out with Owl City, if that matters. And I am one of the few people who has not heard Call Me Maybe.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

HelloStuart

[135]Aug 25, 2012
    • level: 63
    TheDiamondDog wrote:

Jepsen has a new song out with Owl City, if that matters. And I am one of the few people who has not heard Call Me Maybe.

You're not missing much. The video has a cute twist ending, though.

The Killers have a new album dropping in September. Just saying.

Royce7815

[136]Aug 27, 2012
    • level: 4

http://www.justjared.com/2012/08/27/frank-ocean-snl-season-premiere-musical-guest/

So apparently Frank Ocean is supposed to be the first musical guest for the season

Psy4potato

[137]Aug 27, 2012
    • level: 10

Aerosmith has a new album coming out....that'd be a dream come to true to see them on SNL

Also Fleetwood Mac is getting back together for a tour in 2013.....I love classic rock so it'd be great to see them too!

Also, I still want Chelsea Handler to host!

Edited on 08/27/2012 5:07pm

Ruckhappy

[138]Aug 28, 2012
    • level: 9

Psy4potato wrote:

Also, I still want Chelsea Handler to host!

So far, her forays into acting haven't gone that well. I like her but I think if she hosted the show would be a series of slutty soccer mom or bitchy office drunk sketches, or other variations on her stand-up persona.

TheDiamondDog

[139]Aug 28, 2012
    • level: 61

Frank Ocean? Never heard of.

HelloStuart

[140]Aug 28, 2012
    Psy4potato wrote:

Aerosmith has a new album coming out....that'd be a dream come to true to see them on SNL

Um... the Toxic Twins have been on SNL four times, most recently in 2001.

HelloStuart

[141]Aug 28, 2012
    Psy4potato wrote:

drudager

[142]Aug 28, 2012
    • level: 13
    So nice Stu said it twice

JustinRAn

[143]Aug 28, 2012
    • level: 12
    I wonder If we'll see Kat Dennings host. 2 Broke Girls is really funny and get's great ratings.

Royce7815

[144]Aug 29, 2012

So Seth MacFarlane will host the season premier, i'm definitely looking forward to that but knowing him, he'll probably be singing

Royce7815

[145]Aug 29, 2012

TheDiamondDog wrote:

Frank Ocean? Never heard of.

he is a rapper/singer i just know he made the song Novocaine

Psy4potato

[147]Sep 3, 2012
    • level: 10

HelloStuart wrote:
    Psy4potato wrote:

Yes, but hopefully I wont get shot for this...but I was more of a floater around that time with SNL & Mad TV in the later 90's - early 00's and leaned more toward MAD TV so I missed them live....so for me, to see them live while I'm actually watching the show, it would be a dream!

danharr

[148]Oct 9, 2012
    • level: 45

Well if SNL ever puts artist and not just the top 40 on the show I say Silversun Pickups would be lovely to hear one Saturday Night.

Edited on 10/10/2012 6:32pm

HelloStuart

[150]Oct 10, 2012

danharr wrote:

Well if SNL ever puts artist and not just the top 40 on the show I say Silversun Pickups would be lovely to hear one Saturday Night.

I've been saying the same thing since late 2006. For now, we'll have to settle for this killer workout of "Well Thought Out Twinkles."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ef5Gcv8wr0Q

JM5000

[151]Dec 1, 2012
    • level: 7

So with the last shows of the year announced, it's time to start predicting who will be on for the second half. Just remember this: SNL usually likes to evenly split their lineup between new and recurring guests. So far, the season's been half-and-half in terms of that: Seth MacFarlane, Daniel Craig, Bruno Mars, Louis C.K. and Jeremy Renner are this season's first-half newbs, while Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Christina Applegate, Anne Hathaway, Jamie Foxx and Martin Short have all hosted the show at least once before. As for musical guests, newbs include Frank Ocean, Mumford and Sons, Passion Pit, Fun. and Ne-Yo, while returning MGs include Muse, Bruno Mars, Rihanna, Maroon 5 and Paul McCartney (and three of those guests performed in Season 36...And I'm still expecting Ellie Goulding, Lady Gaga and some possible others from that season, of course, I don't think they'd go THAT far...)

So I did a little research on upcoming albums and looked at who might be brought on this season...

Justin Bieber: If they're bringing him in to host this season (I mean, they've been talking about it), I REALLY hope it's soon, because the last thing I want is for them to save him for one of the VERY LAST episodes of the season just because he's "so big". After all, since he released his album months ago now, how much longer can they hold him off? I'd say the ideal episode to bring him in would be the Valentine's Day Special...You know, because he's Mr. Romantic and all (and I can just picture the monologue where everyone wants him to be their valentine).

Ellie Goulding: I'd say her last appearance on this show was good enough to warrant a return...

The Killers: While the reviews for their new album are a LITTLE mixed...Well, VERY mixed reviews sure haven't stopped them from bringing back Maroon 5, so why would it stop them from bringing back a well-established musical guest like these guys?

The Lumineers: I figured that there might be someone new who released their album this year, and doing research, The Lumineers are making the biggest impact out of any new band that SNL hasn't brought in yet...

Bon Jovi: An old favorite...SNL would probably like to bring them back...

The Wanted: Almost every season, there's that one musical guest that appeals to the teenage girl demographic...While Bieber is already a strong possibility, he's also already been established before...These guys seem to be that relatively-new boy band with some popular singles, and I won't be surprised if SNL wants to cash in on them just like they did all those boy bands of the past...

Atoms for Peace: Made up of the lead singer of Radiohead and the guitarist from Red Hot Chili Peppers, these guys look like that collaborative alternative band SNL is always happy to bring in, like Them Crooked Vultures...

Lady Gaga: Not sure when her album is expected, but it is an almost-certainty that she will be back to promote it, and this time, she might do so as host as well.

So while you're making your predictions, keep this in mind: Along with evenly splitting guests between new and recurring, they also like to evenly split musical guests between those associated with rock, and those associated with pop, R&B and Hip-Hop. We're still yet to have our tolken rapper (although we've had three R&B singers).

As for hosts, it's hard to feel certain at this time. There will probably be one or two more former castmembers, and we still haven't had our annual athlete (last season had two, but I think that was just to make up for the lack of one the season before). I guess it is also possible that we'll get someone very frequent like Baldwin, Hamm or Timberlake...

Finally, remember this: SNL likes being predictable, not just with those they already like, but also with those who are just in their usual standards, so don't expect anyone too unusual...Believe me, I've hoped for years that they would bring in someone less conventional or just dig a little more underground, but nope, established favorites, people who are popular, that's how they get their ratings...

Ruckhappy

[152]Dec 3, 2012
    • level: 9
    Actually, I think your analysis is completely off. The whole point of this season of SNL is that they're not being predictable. They've pretty much thrown out their stale old playbook. As to hosts, they will have gone the whole fall with just one reliable repeater, Hathaway. Foxx, Applegate and Martin Short haven't hosted in so long that they might as well be newbies.

I'm curious to see if they'll stay the course for the rest of the season.

JM5000

[153]Dec 3, 2012

Ruckhappy wrote:
    Actually, I think your analysis is completely off. The whole point of this season of SNL is that they're not being predictable. They've pretty much thrown out their stale old playbook. As to hosts, they will have gone the whole fall with just one reliable repeater, Hathaway. Foxx, Applegate and Martin Short haven't hosted in so long that they might as well be newbies. I'm curious to see if they'll stay the course for the rest of the season.

We'll see...While I will admit that the hosts have all been interesting choices so far, it's the musical guests that have been pretty predictable, if only for the last few. I mean, the only reason I wasn't expecting Rihanna or Maroon 5 is because they seemed to have reasons stacked against any return, at least this season. Ne-Yo, I wasn't expecting, but it makes sense that they want to appeal at least somewhat to the people who listen to that R&B dance music. And Paul McCartney? Well, it may only be his fourth time on the show, but somehow, you can just tell Lorne loves this guy, and it was foolish of me to think that just because he didn't perform last season, I should count him out. But the lounge feeling of his newest hits sounds very fitting for music of the Christmas special.

I will admit, I still get annoyed at this show's over-reliance on certain guests, no matter how good they are, but I am willing to accept the possibility that the second half will have all sorts of old favorites...Still, it's always good to hope for some new ones as well. It's good that they're listening to the fans now, but that doesn't mean they should surrender their overall sense of quality. We'll just see who they have for the next half, but still, I have a strong feeling about most of those choices in that list of mine.

HelloStuart

[154]Dec 3, 2012

Ruckhappy wrote:
    Actually, I think your analysis is completely off. The whole point of this season of SNL is that they're not being predictable. They've pretty much thrown out their stale old playbook. As to hosts, they will have gone the whole fall with just one reliable repeater, Hathaway. Foxx, Applegate and Martin Short haven't hosted in so long that they might as well be newbies. I'm curious to see if they'll stay the course for the rest of the season.

I agree with Ruck. There's a reason why the show tends to recharge itself every five or six years. This is a transitional season that has turned out better than expected. If you're bored with the show, than you're bored with sketch comedy.

Edited on 12/04/2012 9:50am

JM5000

[155]Dec 4, 2012

HelloStuart wrote:
    Ruckhappy wrote:
    I agree with Ruck. There's a reason why the show tends to recharge itself every five or six years. This is a transitional season that is turned out better than expected. If you're bored with the show, than you're bored with sketch comedy.
    Well I certainly haven't gotten bored of the show (just certain sketches Wink)...It's a pity there are so many cynical people out there though...I actually try to avoid reading comments about each episode after it airs, because I'm so sick of all those people tearing every little thing apart...

If they're transitioning into a newly re-energized show this season, then I await what lies ahead...