Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

Possible Future Hosts/Musical Guests?

HelloStuart

[156]Dec 4, 2012
    • level: 63
    JM5000 wrote:

HelloStuart wrote:
    Ruckhappy wrote:
    Actually, I think your analysis is completely off. The whole point of this season of SNL is that they're not being predictable. They've pretty much thrown out their stale old playbook. As to hosts, they will have gone the whole fall with just one reliable repeater, Hathaway. Foxx, Applegate and Martin Short haven't hosted in so long that they might as well be newbies. I'm curious to see if they'll stay the course for the rest of the season.
    I agree with Ruck. There's a reason why the show tends to recharge itself every five or six years. This is a transitional season that is turned out better than expected. If you're bored with the show, than you're bored with sketch comedy.
    Well I certainly haven't gotten bored of the show (just certain sketches Wink)...It's a pity there are so many cynical people out there though...I actually try to avoid reading comments about each episode after it airs, because I'm so sick of all those people tearing every little thing apart...

If they're transitioning into a newly re-energized show this season, then I await what lies ahead...

That's the pitfall of discussion boards: people rehashing and exhausting their same three complaints about the show. SNL is uneven by nature, yet people won't accept that.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Ruckhappy

[158]Dec 4, 2012
    • level: 8

The MG's have been a lot more predictable. Maybe they'll mix it up in the second half, being more adventurous with MG's and less so with hosts. I do think they'll avoid MG's who became too identified as performers on SNL in recent years, like Bieber, Katy Perry or Lady Gaga. Yes, I realize that Rihanna and McCartney violate that tenet, but I think they've reached their limit.

JM5000

[159]Dec 4, 2012
    • level: 7

Ruckhappy wrote:

The MG's have been a lot more predictable. Maybe they'll mix it up in the second half, being more adventurous with MG's and less so with hosts. I do think they'll avoid MG's who became too identified as performers on SNL in recent years, like Bieber, Katy Perry or Lady Gaga. Yes, I realize that Rihanna and McCartney violate that tenet, but I think they've reached their limit.

Fair enough...Since Facebook could definitely inspire them to bring in some more creative guests like I have been hoping for years now, I am definitely curious about what lies ahead...

jcav422

[160]Jan 3, 2013
    • level: 2
    Does anyone else have the feeling that John Goodman will return to host around Oscar time to promote Argo? I sure hope so. He's great and has been missed. If not Goodman, I expect Affleck. Also, looking towards the end of the season, I'm expecting Zach Galifanakis to return for a third round with The Hangover III coming out in the summer. His two hosting stints sucked, but maybe he'll host the season finale? I wish Bradley Cooper, Zach G, and Ed Helms would host together kind of like Martin Short, Steve Martin, and Chevy Chase did for Three Amigos did in '86.

HelloStuart

[161]Jan 3, 2013
    jcav422 wrote:
    Does anyone else have the feeling that John Goodman will return to host around Oscar time to promote Argo? I sure hope so. He's great and has been missed. If not Goodman, I expect Affleck. Also, looking towards the end of the season, I'm expecting Zach Galifanakis to return for a third round with The Hangover III coming out in the summer. His two hosting stints sucked, but maybe he'll host the season finale? I wish Bradley Cooper, Zach G, and Ed Helms would host together kind of like Martin Short, Steve Martin, and Chevy Chase did for Three Amigos did in '86.

At this point, Goodman has the ball in his court. He stated in a 2006 interview that he was "too old and fat" to host again, or maybe he lacks interest. Believe it or not, it's been almost a decade since John last appeared on SNL, period.

JustinRAn

[162]Jan 3, 2013
    • level: 12
    While not a host, I wouldn't be surprised to see him cameo.

My "Dream" for the rest of the season:

February 2- Joel McHale
    February 23- Ben Affleck
    March 2- Rainn Wilson
    March 9- Tina Fey
    March 30- Rose Byrne
    April 6- Kat Dennings
    April 13- Molly Shannon
    April 20- Jim Parsons
    May 4- Rachel McAdams
    May 11- Robert Downey Jr.

Ruckhappy

[163]Jan 4, 2013

HelloStuart wrote:
    At this point, Goodman has the ball in his court.

Technically, we don't know that for sure, although I strongly, strongly believe that you're correct, Stu. I think that Goodman's one of those legendary hosts for whom Lorne will find a hosting slot whenever he feels like he's really up to it.

If not Goodman, we'll see more familiar faces in the second half of the current season. Perforce. The show has overmatched itself by trying to reinvent or rediscover too much in one season. They need to play small-ball to protect the progress they've made with this new cast and the new writing style. Much better to have them "repeat" themselves by having Goodman, Hamm, Galifinakis, Fey or whoever host rather than gamble on another Bruno Mars or McFarlane.

jcav422

[164]Jan 4, 2013
    if they want new hosts, they should pick TV stars like Jim Parsons or Kat Dennings, people who have proved to be really funny on their own shows. Instead, they chose singers like Bruno Mars and Adam Levine with Christina Applegate and Martin Short coming out of nowhere. Bruno was very good, but their picks just seem obscure. I was predicting Fey to host towards November, but clearly i was wrong. We had to deal with Louis C.K. and Jeremy Renner (yuck).

Ruckhappy

[165]Jan 5, 2013

I think you'll see the likes of Mindy Kaling or even Casey Wilson host before Dennings. If they want to pick a comic woman actress from TV to host, there's tons of them out there now with the improv background that transfers so well to hosting SNL.

JakeFrato

[166]Jan 6, 2013
    I wouldn't be surprised if at one of the March shows, we get Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson hosting. He will be wrestling at Wrestlemania, which is in New Jersey this year, and with World Wrestling Entertainment's contract with NBC Universal, you never know. I could see him mainly being there to promote the Wrestlemania event. If he does show up for a March show, I expect it to be the 9th, as the 30th is the night of the WWE HoF Ceremony, and he would obviously be there instead.

Ruckhappy

[167]Jan 6, 2013

Pro wrestling is dead now as mainstream entertainment, and its demographic appeal to advertisers is almost poisonous. If you were advertising "bath salts" to meth heads you'd buy time during wrestling, but not if you want to sell Buicks.

That said, The Rock would be a good guess to host in the spring. Although he's really a film star now, he still "counts" as an athlete and they haven't had an athlete host yet this season. He's got a fairly big film coming out soon. He's been a quite successful host in the past. His fundamentals as a sketch player are surprisingly good: crisp on his line readings, has a good sense of comic timing, etc. Yeah, he's a giant hulk of a guy but he's shown that he knows how to work against or around that aspect of himself.

They're probably going to go more conventional with hosting picks in the second half so, yeah, we might see Rock on the show this year.

danharr

[168]Jan 26, 2013
    • level: 45

Of Monsters and Men but my only fear is they wouldn't play "Dirty Paws" but their current two radio hits.

HelloStuart

[169]Jan 27, 2013
    danharr wrote:

Of Monsters and Men but my only fear is they wouldn't play "Dirty Paws" but their current two radio hits.

For your sake and mine, I was going to predict "Mountain Sound," than "Dirty Paws."

danharr

[170]Jan 27, 2013
    • level: 45

I like "Mountain Sound" it was the reason I bought the cd but "Dirty Paws" shows the bands vocal and instrumental talent better imo and it's my new favorite.

JM5000

[171]Feb 2, 2013
    I'd say if The Rock was gonna host, the perfect time would have been in place of Christoph Waltz...Maybe instead he'll just cameo as "The Rock" Obama.

If Mila Kunis is going to host this season, it HAS to be the next show...There's quite a bit of hype surrounding Oz, she's quite heavily requested, and there aren't any notable movies after that she's starring in...They could also bring back James Franco, but he already hosted twice. Better to bring in the new host that holds promise than to bring back a host that already proved themself...Unless it's a major episode like the finale...

I'm thinking Melissa McCarthy will make a return appearance soon with the movies coming out...

I'm still thinking that Lady Gaga will host at some point, and with her new album coming out...

And finally we have Justin Timberlake, with HIS new album coming out...I'm thinking that instead of having him host by the end of this season, they should save him for next season, for several reasons. One, I think we've had enough male pop singers in one season (maybe a FEMALE pop singer will be different enough, so Lady Gaga could work okay), especially the OTHER pop singer named Justin...Two, he has a movie coming out in the fall, so it would be the perfect time to promote both that AND his new album. Three, I would LOVE to see him host a season premiere! I think he would be perfect as a premiere host, for several more reasons.

One, his entertainment style sounds like a great way to open a season. Two, every time he's the host, it's a pretty big episode (the second episode, the Christmas episode, the penultimate show, and most recently, the finale). After he hosts a premiere, he'll come full-circle. Three, major favorites like Steve Martin, Tom Hanks and Alec Baldwin have all hosted the premiere before...He sounds worthy of joining their ranks (even though I DO find him a wee bit overrated). And as an added bonus, he'll be the first official double-duty host for a season premiere (again, the Rolling Stones don't count). While I definitely won't deny the possibility of him hosting by the end of this season, I think it will work better if they save him for next season's premiere. Either way, I think we can guarantee that he WILL host sometime this year...

Hennes81

[172]Feb 3, 2013
    • level: 5

I'm expecting to see a "Justin Timberlake/The Lonely Island" episode when he hosts the next time. After they cameoed last week I also think it will be next season at the earliest.

Gaga and McCarthy are easy and logical picks for this season. But my favorite for season finale is Zach Galifinakis since Hangover 3 opens in May.

The Rock will not host since he works full time for WWE again which means to perform many times a week. Also I don't see SNL to promote wrestling since it has lost his appeal to mainstream many years ago.

HelloStuart

[173]Feb 3, 2013
    Hennes81 wrote:

I'm expecting to see a "Justin Timberlake/The Lonely Island" episode when he hosts the next time. After they cameoed last week I also think it will be next season at the earliest.

Gaga and McCarthy are easy and logical picks for this season. But my favorite for season finale is Zach Galifinakis since Hangover 3 opens in May.

The Rock will not host since he works full time for WWE again which means to perform many times a week. Also I don't see SNL to promote wrestling since it has lost his appeal to mainstream many years ago.

Who wants to put money on Zach G/Hoobastank?

JM5000

[175]Feb 3, 2013
    Hennes81 wrote:

I'd say Timberlake's more likely to serve as his own musical guest, while Samberg will probably cameo and there will be another music video with the Motherlovers to promote the new Lonely Island album...Then again, the next album will probably have the "Golden Rule" song, so it might not matter. Either way, I would definitely like to see the Lonely Island as a musical guest sometime next season...

I would also expect Galifianakis to host by the end of the season. I mean, since Bradley Cooper promoted the first one and Ed Helms promoted the second one, I'd say it's only fitting for the other, most popular star to promote the third one. That being said, it could be any of the last five episodes, so I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that it will be the finale, so we'll just see. (I estimate that the finale will be on May 18th. I'm not sure when that month Hangover 3 will come out, but most of the finale hosts lately promoted movies coming out over the summer or in the fall, so I don't know...)

Also, there's a movie with Tina Fey and Paul Rudd coming out at some point, so I'd say one of them, probably Tina, might host soon. Actually, it will be appropriate since 30 Rock just ended...Again, we'll just see...

jcav422

[176]Feb 3, 2013
    Like I said before, I hope Rebel Wilson hosts this season. She's rising up now that Pitch Perfect is a DVD hit and she's hosting the MTV Movie Awards. As for musical guests, I'm expecting lots of returning ones. I would like to see the end of the year with a female host overload, there hasn't been enough, it's echoing 08-09.

Hosts:
    Rebel Wilson
    Melissa McCarthy
    Mila Kunis
    Chris Pine
    Zach Galifinakis Musical Guests:
    Vampire Weekend
    The Strokes
    MGMT
    Imagine Dragons
    Bon Jovi

Double: Justin Timberlake

HelloStuart

[177]Feb 4, 2013
    rishabhpb wrote:
    HelloStuart wrote:
    Hennes81 wrote:

Who wants to put money on Zach G/Hoobastank?

In the monologue: "Vampire Weekend is here! No?"

It has to be another band with a dumb name. Mudvayne, perhaps?