Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

Possible Future Hosts/Musical Guests?

JM5000

[178]Feb 13, 2013
    • level: 7

Facebook just exploded with requests for George Takei! We might have another Betty White on our hands...

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

HelloStuart

[180]Feb 13, 2013
    • level: 63
    rishabhpb wrote:
    JM5000 wrote:

Facebook just exploded with requests for George Takei! We might have another Betty White on our hands...

Wouldn't mind that one bit. But Betty White was backed up by some serious firepower in Tina & Co. Would we get the male equivalents for Takei?

Who would back up George? Terry Sweeney? Rob Schneider?

The online petition thing was a once-off gimmick. I'll believe it when I see it.

JM5000

[181]Feb 18, 2013

Over the years watching this show, I feel I have learned to read SNL's lineup methods like a book, at least in terms of musical guests. So let's see, we had the teen pop singer, then the semi-hardcore rock band and then a rapper...Knowing how they work, I predict an Indie band next, probably Imagine Dragons since two of their songs are in the charts, plus they definitely seem like the type of musical guest they would follow Macklemore with...In terms of the host, I guess Steve Carell is a possibility since he has "Burt Wonderstone" coming out the following Friday...Of course, I won't rule out them skipping him for another newb, but I think we've had enough new hosts for now...Let's bring back someone we KNOW is a good host...I know I've had issues with their reliance on old favorites, but by now, I'm kinda missing them. I'm hoping Ashton Kutcher, Zach Galifianakis and Melissa McCarthy host by the end of the season...

Ruckhappy

[182]Feb 18, 2013
    • level: 8

I'm surprised they booked one more first-time, lesser-name host with Kevin Hart, but they may have had a hard time getting a firm hosting commitment from someone more famous for the weekend after the Oscars.

Of the seven remaining unannounced hosts, I bet that at least 5 will be big-name repeat hosts: Brad Cooper or Zach, Carrell, Tina Fey, Timberlake, etc. The season has been too uneven to keep gambling on unproven hosts. They were in a nosedive until Waltz hosted.

I'd rather that McCarthy not host again because that will mean a major cameo by Wiig and it's too soon for her to come back. I cringed when she showed up on the Christmas show.

HelloStuart

[183]Feb 19, 2013
    JM5000 wrote:

Over the years watching this show, I feel I have learned to read SNL's lineup methods like a book, at least in terms of musical guests. So let's see, we had the teen pop singer, then the semi-hardcore rock band and then a rapper...

"Semi-hardcore rock band?" LMAO

JM5000

[184]Feb 19, 2013

Yeah, I mean, they're not metal, but they still have plenty of that old-school rock and roll spirit...You know...Tongue out

Ruckhappy wrote:

I'm surprised they booked one more first-time, lesser-name host with Kevin Hart, but they may have had a hard time getting a firm hosting commitment from someone more famous for the weekend after the Oscars.

Of the seven remaining unannounced hosts, I bet that at least 5 will be big-name repeat hosts: Brad Cooper or Zach, Carrell, Tina Fey, Timberlake, etc. The season has been too uneven to keep gambling on unproven hosts. They were in a nosedive until Waltz hosted.

I'd rather that McCarthy not host again because that will mean a major cameo by Wiig and it's too soon for her to come back. I cringed when she showed up on the Christmas show.

I was thinking Mila Kunis would have been perfect for that one, because it's right before "Oz: The Great and Powerful" comes out...I guess we'll have to wait for her next movie...

Bradley Cooper was nothing special last time he hosted...I'm thinking Zach would be perfect since A: He's the most popular star from that movie, B: He has the best hosting credentials, and C: While he may have hosted twice before, he is still yet to give any of the Hangover movies a pre-week plug, while the other two stars have (one for each).

I'm kinda thinking it's either Fey or Carrell; They're upcoming movies are so close together, and I just can't picture them hosting right next to each other (mainly because they were both in that one movie, and they don't tend to put hosts with previous connections next to each other...with the exception of two male pop singers in a row, but Adam Levine is such a seasonal lineup misfit to begin with...)

Timberlake is again a possibility, but they should probably wait until next season, right before his upcoming movie comes out (and again, he would make an ideal premiere host).

One five second cameo from Wiig, where she's actually in the straight man position for once (read her face after Short kissed her...or was that how she was REALLY feeling?), and it's still too much for you...I'm just glad they didn't bring her in to steal the show from the new cast five or less episodes into the first season after she finally left. I mean, they've had former castmembers make cameos the season after their departure before, haven't they? We've gone long enough without Wiig that I think another cameo from her is fine by me. Besides, McCarthy being considered by many as the big breakout host of last season, and Wiig being the star of the last few seasons, it sounds like a pretty appropriate finale...(With her next movie coming out in June, I thought she's fit for the finale...Of course, Galifianakis is another possibility for that one...)

Hennes81

[185]Feb 20, 2013
    • level: 5

JM5000 wrote:

I mean, they've had former castmembers make cameos the season after their departure before, haven't they?

E.g. Tim Meadows and Darrell Hammond on their first episodes after their departure.

Hennes81

[186]Feb 20, 2013

After watching Dave Grohl on Colbert last week I'm wondering if he might be interested to host.

He is already some sort of SNL legend (as music guest), seems to be a good entertainer, has always something to promote and played in SNL sketches before.

After we had 3 musicians as host this season it might be better to wait for next year, but it might be worth a shot.

Edited on 02/20/2013 5:51am

JM5000

[187]Feb 20, 2013

Hennes81 wrote:

After watching Dave Grohl on Colbert last week I'm wondering if he might be interested to host.

He is already some sort of SNL legend (as music guest), seems to be a good entertainer, has always something to promote and played in SNL sketches before.

After we had 3 musicians as host this season it might be better to wait for next year, but it might be worth a shot.

I've been considering him as a potential host for some time now...Since he has both a new Queens of the Stone Age album and the Nirvana reunion album thingy, we might see him host next season...

Ruckhappy

[188]Feb 20, 2013

Zach would be the funnier choice to host in order to pump Hangover 3, but Mister Brad has the Oscar nom. so the hosting gig is his for the asking.

I don't see any real reason why Tina and Steve Carrell could not host in the same year, or even back-to-back. Both of them really need the films they're pushing to do well.

Timberlake is all but a lock to host this spring, setting the record for the most double-duty (host & MG) hosts in one season and, I think, the first two-time double-duty host? Plus it will be his definite five-timer appearance. I think the only question is whether they want to save him for the season finale. He may want to host next month in order to pump his new album.

I just hope that if they book in a lot of big-name hosts for the remainder of the season that they keep the celebrity cameos to a minimum. The Levine show was a little worrisome in that respect. What's really great is when they bring back Steve or Alec or Tom and you get to watch them work with the new cast. I'd love to see Tina working off of Kate, or Timberlake in a weird 10-to-1 with Tim Robinson.

Hennes81

[189]Feb 21, 2013

Ruckhappy wrote:

Timberlake is all but a lock to host this spring, setting the record for the most double-duty (host & MG) hosts in one season and, I think, the first two-time double-duty host?

I remember Jennifer Lopez doing it twice but he should be the first to do it three times.

Metricstation3

[190]Feb 21, 2013
    • level: 3
    I'm sure it's been said before but a Donald Glover/Childish Gambino episode would be awesome.

Ruckhappy

[191]Feb 21, 2013

Ruckhappy wrote:
    Timberlake is all but a lock to host this spring...

Got that one right, although it was highly predictable. I just hope he leaves Mrs. Timberlake at home. Biel has been practically glued to him since their marriage, and I really don't want to see her horning her way into the show.

HelloStuart

[192]Feb 21, 2013
    Hennes81 wrote:

Ruckhappy wrote:

Timberlake is all but a lock to host this spring, setting the record for the most double-duty (host & MG) hosts in one season and, I think, the first two-time double-duty host?

I remember Jennifer Lopez doing it twice but he should be the first to do it three times.

Paul Simon and Britney Spears have also double-dipped twice.

Ruckhappy

[193]Feb 21, 2013

Have we had two hosts becoming five-timers in one season? I just happened to notice that one four-timer is riding a real rocket of Oscar hype at the moment and could well be asked to host this spring.

Woodstein

[194]Feb 22, 2013
    • level: 14
    HelloStuart wrote:
    Hennes81 wrote:

Ruckhappy wrote:

Paul Simon and Britney Spears have also double-dipped twice.

Garth Brooks did too, although the second time around he performed as his "Chris Gaines" alter ego.

HelloStuart

[195]Feb 23, 2013
    Ruckhappy wrote:

Have we had two hosts becoming five-timers in one season? I just happened to notice that one four-timer is riding a real rocket of Oscar hype at the moment and could well be asked to host this spring.

Yes; Steve Martin and Buck Henry in Season 3.

HelloStuart

[197]Feb 26, 2013
    rishabhpb wrote:
    I went to watch a terrible movie starring The Rock and there were THREE trailers for other movies starring him. Dude's working hard and I'm surprised he hasn't been asked to host already this season.

Maybe he's too busy making terrible movies.

JM5000

[199]Mar 11, 2013

All right, so every now and then, I like to make predictions on who they have left for the current segment of the season, and since Season 38 has now reached the home stretch, I shall make my best predictions (note that not ALL of these people will be on...)

Hosts:

Rebel Wilson: As mentioned several times before, she has the MTV Movie Awards and some upcoming movies, so perhaps she will host sometime in April. However, I'm wondering if Melissa McCarthy is their last-minute replacement for her due to complications. I just feel that McCarthy could have waited a little longer, while Rebel might have to host as soon as possible, due to having to move between SNL and the MTV Awards. We'll just wait and see if McCarthy was the alternative choice for funny fat chick, or if they're both lined up for April.

Ashton Kutcher: He's playing Steve Jobs and they still have his role in "Two and a Half Men" yet to be talked about...

Zach Galifianakis: Hangover III, 'nuff said...Of course, they could also bring back Bradley Cooper, but I feel his time has passed, especially since he didn't win the Oscar.

Ben Affleck: Fresh off his success with Argo, and with a pretty good reputation as a host, Affleck is an ideal choice...

Tina Fey: Not sure how Admission will do, but she also has the end of 30 Rock to plug...

Lady Gaga: With both her new album and Machete II, Gaga is the one musician left that I will accept hosting this season (they already brought in four of the five major pretty-boy crooners, the other being Michael Buble, who I'll get to in a bit...)

George Takei: A bit of a wild guess, but with all the requests for him on Facebook, and with them now actually listening to these requests, I will at least consider him a possibility...

Musical Guests:

Michael Buble: Has put on some good performances in the past, so he's a possibility...Of course, they already had Mars, Levine, Bieber and Timberlake serve as both hosts and musical guests this season (even if one of them wasn't on the same episode). We'll just see...

David Bowie: His album has some EXTREMELY positive reviews, and since this season's recurring musical guests have mostly been people who have been on fairly recently, I'd say he'd provide some needed variety.

Tegan and Sara: Their new album is considered to be their big break-out, and since SNL likes bringing in promising new musicians, they could very well be on either late this season, or early next season...

Atoms For Peace: Not certain about these guys, because while their album is doing generally well, it doesn't seem to be a HUGE BREAKOUT or anything...BUT, it's an ensemble alternative band with Thom Yorke and Flea...SNL loves that kind of stuff...

Phillip Phillips: "Home" is still being played all over the place, and SNL tends to bring in musical guests with songs that have been out for a while near the end of the season (see Ke$ha and Gotye).

Imagine Dragons: This one I am now doubting, because they probably would have been brought on by now, at least instead of Phoenix (who still has plenty of reason to come back). I think their time has passed...But of course, one would argue so has Phillip Phillips', so you never know...

And of course, I would like to point out that there are likely gonna be at least three musical guests by the end of the season whose songs aren't out yet...They always end the season with someone whose album isn't out yet, for one...

HelloStuart

[201]Mar 11, 2013
    rishabhpb wrote:
    JM5000 wrote:

Tina Fey: Not sure how Admission will do, but she also has the end of 30 Rock to plug...

It's a tad late to promote something that will have ended 3 months ago by the time she hosts, but Admission is a good enough excuse. I wouldn't really have her host because she has never been a good sketch performer. And she has retired the Palin as well. Her last stint was pretty much all straight-woman roles.

Tina will host again, but it'll be awhile.