Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

Season 35 Thoughts

SNLFAN422

[1]May 16, 2010
    • level: 20

Here you can post what you thought about the season in detail or not...

Alright, well the season began with one of the most awkward episodes ever, Megan Fox. She was a really awkward host who was like a robot and acted like Megan Fox and only Megan Fox throughout the show. Then, Jenny Slate, a newbie, dropped the F-bomb lol. The sketches were bad, U2 had like 345678 performances with Bono thinking he's cool. It sucked

Then, Ryan Reynolds made an awesome episode. Great sketches like Family Feud, Deep House Dish, Mike's Fountainry, So You Committed A Crime & Think You Can Dance, etc. Lady GaGa was amazing with her two out there but good performances. She introduced Bad Romance to the world. And there were cool cameos by Madonna and Scarlett Johannsson.

Then, one of my favorite gals, Drew Barrymore, hosted for the 6th time. Very good episode, i liked the Gilly, Cooking al fresco, Celebrity ghost stories, La Rivista Della Televisone, the digital short etc. Very good episode.

Then, one of the weirdest SNL's ever, Gerard Butler. It wasn't him that made the episode weird, it was that the whole epiosde was bought by Bud Light Golden Wheat, it felt weird, and felt like it was dragging on. Well, We got to see what up with that for the 1st time, it was ok, Beauty and the Beast was good, that Skank champagne commerial was weird, Shakira was decent.

Then, Taylor Swift did host and MG, which i found weird, she sang on SNL in January of the same year, not a bad episode, pretty good.

Ugh, do i have to say it? Well, i guess i have to. January Jones, ugh. She was one of those typical RANDOM hosts Lorne gets. The sketches were ALL garbage, the peas were annoying, it was horrible, WORST EPISODE OF THE YEAR!!!!

Then came SNL THe MUSICAL!!!! nah it was just Joseph Gordon-Levitt.

i'll continue later...........

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

whoaitsconner

[2]May 16, 2010
    • level: 21
    Oh i'll participate in this one. later tho

JustinRAn

[3]May 16, 2010
    • level: 12

Best Episode: Taylor Swift, Tina Fey, Betty White

Worst Episode: January Jones - WUT 2 and WUT 3 - Ryan Phillippe / Gerard Butler / Zach G.

Best Cast Members- Bill Hader, Abby Elliott, Nasim Pedrad

Worst Cast Members- Wiig, Army, Forte, Thompson

Biggest WTF Sketches- ESPN, Hamilton, What Up With That, Potato Chip Theif, David Patterson, Christmas Presents, Disco Booty Junction, Manuel Ortiz Show, Riley, Don't Make Me Sing, Court Stenographer, Twilight Zone, Tiny Hooker, Father Swimcoach Scoutmaster, Roger Brush, Starfish

Funniest Best Sketches - Live Lounge (35.1) - So You Committed a Crime... And You Think You Can Dance (35.2) - Celebrity Ghost Stories (35.3) - Sarah McLachlan (35.5) - Roomies (35.5) - Bunny Business (35.5) - TRAAPD (35.5) - Palin 2012 (35.7) - The Situation Room- Tiger Woods, Kickspit Underground Rock Festival, PGA Tour (35.9) - Frat Pledge (35.10) - Meryl Streep (35.12) - Gertrude's Will (35.14) - Access Hollywood (35.14) - We are the World 3 (35.15) - Undercover Celebrity Boss (35.15) - Smash Mouth (35.15) - Spain (35.17) - Masters, Sarah Palin Network, Lonely Teacher, Devil, School Dance, Mort, Mort Finegold (35.19) - Song Memories (35.19) - Alarm Clocks and More, Ms. Johnson, MacGruber 1-2 (35.21), Gingey

Best Monologues - Drew Barrymore, Ryan Reynolds, Taylor Swift

Best Digital Shorts - FireLight, Tizzle Wizzle, Thank You For Being A Friend

Host's That Should Be Banned: - January Jones, Jon Hamm, Ryan Phillippe, Charles Barkley, Sigourney Weaver

Edited on 05/16/2010 10:06pm
    Edited 3 total times.

SNLFAN422

[4]May 16, 2010
    • level: 20

Best Episode: Ryan Reynolds, Taylor Swift, James Franco, Betty White Worst Episode: JANUARY JONES!, Sigourney Weaver, Megan Fox, Alec Baldwin

Best Cast Members- Bill Hader, Abby Elliott, Nasim Pedrad, Bobby Moynihan Worst Cast Members- Forte, Samberg Biggest WTF Sketches- Russian Brides,Fuquay Satin's Grand Hoochie Skank Rosé, Bunny Buisness (good tho), A lady's guide To throwing a party, Two Worlds Collide, Kickspit (good tho), Potato Chip Theif, Eternal Spark of Love, tree lover, Disco Booty Junction, Closet Organizer/Bar, What Is Burn notice?, Bidet, Brownie husband (great tho), School Dance, tiny hooker, ESPN, Arizona Evenings

Funniest Best Sketches -...

HelloStuart

[5]May 16, 2010
    • level: 63
    Is this thread really necessary?

Also Justin, you don't have to speak on my behalf.

JustinRAn

[6]May 16, 2010
    You did something like this on Will Ferrell/ Green Day Episode; So I Was Plagerizing. I'll change it.

Pulch23

[7]May 17, 2010
    • level: 7

I doubt any cast changes. Will and Kristen would be in the most danger. Just because ofMacgruber, it will probably jump start their careers if it is a hit. If the film is a hit, Forte will probably leave mid-season like Amy.

The cast being:
    Fred Armisen
    Abby Elliot
    Will Forte
    Bill Hader
    Seth Meyers
    Bobby Moynihan
    Nasim Pedrad
    Andy Samberg
    Jenny Slate
    Jason Sudeikis
    Kenan Thompson
    Kristen Wiig

Featuring:
    Probably two people will join the cast, two males. One black one white

HelloStuart

[8]May 17, 2010
    Pulch23 wrote:

I doubt any cast changes. Will and Kristen would be in the most danger. Just because of MacGruber, it will probably jump start their careers if it is a hit. If the film is a hit, Forte will probably leave mid-season like Amy.

The cast being:
    Fred Armisen
    Abby Elliott
    Will Forte
    Bill Hader
    Seth Meyers
    Bobby Moynihan
    Nasim Pedrad
    Andy Samberg
    Jenny Slate
    Jason Sudeikis
    Kenan Thompson
    Kristen Wiig

Featuring:
    Probably two people will join the cast, two males. One black one white.

Even if "MacGruber" is a hit, I can't imagine Will just quitting at mid-season. Kristen is under contract through 2011-12, as are Bill and Andy. It probably wouldn't hurt to augment the cast, though.

TheDiamondDog

[9]May 17, 2010
    • level: 61

I liked that What Is Burn Notice skit. Now whenever I see a preview, I think of it.

HelloStuart

[10]May 17, 2010
    TheDiamondDog wrote:

I liked that "What Is Burn Notice" skit. Now whenever I see a preview, I think of it.

That should be up there, too.

mobo66

[11]May 22, 2010
    • level: 4

I thought this was one of the worst seasons in recent memory, mainly due to some very bad guest hosts. Even those that you feel will come through ended up being flat, i.e. Tina Fey and Alec Baldwin.

As for the cast, I thought the guys all did ok but the ladies need to pick up the slack. Wiig has reached her best before date and I don't think she has much to add to another season. Abby wasn't bad and I thought she should have got more roles.

We could have used more Hader, and Forte. Keenan gets a lot of flack but i thought he was one of the bright spots this season (not counting the "what's up with that" being overused).

Weekend Update wasn't up to par, but the characters that popped up were funnier than Seth.

Even Andy's shorts were forgettable for the most part. At this point he doesn't bring much to the cast aside from playing the typical goofy young guy - he should just stick to making videos and putting them on youtube instead of taking up a cast spot.

JustinRAn

[12]May 25, 2010
    ^
    Wow, I Like Tina Fey's Episode. It's One of my Few Favs. this Year.

Trust Me, If s36 is her last year, it might as well be called "The Kristen Wiig Live Show"

The Characters Were Good? Maybe 4 of Um? I hated ALOT of the Characters like: David Patterson, Shep, Judy Grimes, Jean K. Jean, Tamera Parks, Fehn, Jon Bovi, Billy Smith, Garth and Kat, Snooki, Larry the Goose, Liam and that's only 2/3 of the Season

Recurring Update Characters Ruin Episodes (Remember the Ashton Kutcher Update? Remember WUT #3 No! Don't Worry, Alot of Fanboy's Consider those "Fever Dreams".)

Is this Season Worse than 6, 11, 20 or the Last 6 Years? (Maybe that Last Parts Just Me.)

http://www.beatweek.com/television-features/6063-has-this-been-saturday-night-lives-worst-season-ever/

HelloStuart

[13]May 25, 2010
    JustinRAn wrote:
    Is this season worse than 6, 11, 20 or the last 6 years? (Maybe that last part is just me.)

http://www.beatweek.com/television-features/6063-has-this-been-saturday-night-lives-worst-season-ever/

Hardly. If anything, Year 35 compares well to Year 25; two or three outstanding shows, a few suspect musical guest choices, and an over-reliance on recurring characters. Year 11 may not be the worst season in SNL history (it can be rightfully argued as third or perhaps fourth-worst), but for stand-alone purposes that will likely never be repeated.

Lottalaffs

[15]Aug 5, 2010
    • level: 2

Why do I get the feeling that Drew Barrymore had something to...umm...drink before the show? She seemed a little too loose in a lot of the sketches.

HelloStuart

[16]Aug 6, 2010
    Lottalaffs wrote:

Why do I get the feeling that Drew Barrymore had something to...umm...drink before the show? She seemed a little too loose in a lot of the sketches.

That's just how Drew is.

thecomedianky

[17]Aug 22, 2010
    • level: 19
    Hamm is not gonna be banned as a host. He's a funny dramatic actor. January Jones, however, is a different story.

whoaitsconner

[18]Aug 23, 2010
    • level: 21
    This season, now that i think of it, could be pretty well compared to the 05-06 season. Big cast, a few people who were awkward/didn't get enough screentime on camera, and good episodes here, and poor episodes there.

I didn't think it was a bad season. It was more transitional. But, this cast is still better than the 05-06 cast. They're problem is recurring characters. They've gotta learn to limit recurring characters, and not make every sketch recurring.

algetrig91

[19]Aug 25, 2010
    • level: 34
    whoaitsconner wrote:
    This season, now that i think of it, could be pretty well compared to the 05-06 season. Big cast, a few people who were awkward/didn't get enough screentime on camera, and good episodes here, and poor episodes there.

I didn't think it was a bad season. It was more transitional. But, this cast is still better than the 05-06 cast. They're problem is recurring characters. They've gotta learn to limit recurring characters, and not make every sketch recurring.

I agree. The only difference between this season and Year 34, which is at least one of the three best seasons of the decade, is the abundance of recurring characters.