Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

Season 37...

Psy4potato

[22]Aug 3, 2011
    • level: 10
    Really? Jay P made a good impression but Jenny Slate didn't her year? And Abby has her moments where I like her, but I thought Jenny Slate, Casey, and Michaela were extremely strong. I'm happy Vanessa, Paul, & Nasim are being kept on.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Ruckhappy

[23]Aug 3, 2011
    • level: 9

Stu, I cannot believe that you didn't pick up on why Elliott was a lock to return next season. It should have been obvious from the start of last season.

HelloStuart

[24]Aug 4, 2011
    • level: 63
    Ruckhappy wrote:

Stu, I cannot believe that you didn't pick up on why Elliott was a lock to return next season. It should have been obvious from the start of last season.

She was dating Fred? That guarantees employment?

Ruckhappy

[25]Aug 4, 2011

HelloStuart wrote:
    Ruckhappy wrote:

She was dating Fred? That guarantees employment?
    Lorne has fired three female cast in as many years. It would have looked bad if he'd fired Elliott, even if he'd hired another woman to replace her.

mrjimmyjames

[26]Aug 5, 2011
    • level: 7

I agree with you guys that she hasn't exactly stood out as a cast member, but i do feel like last season was by far her best. She frequently appeared throughout the episodes (and on a few appearances actually stood out!) unlike previous seasons where she had a tendency to disappear. I would argue Lorne has simply tired of trying to find replacements for Maya and Amy and having vacancies when it comes to female performers. My theory is that he realizes that Kristen is not far from leaving and considering it took so long to find replacements for Maya and Amy (who i would argue are Nasim and Vanessa, obviously), he doesn't want risk having an immediate vacancy once she leaves and a long search afterward. You have to consider that he was able to replace the three 90s female cast members ahead of their departures. For example:

Dratch and Rudolph join in 99, Oteri leaves in 2000 before season 26, Shannon in mid season 26

I believe Lorne hired Amy Poehler at the beginning of Ana Gasteyer's last season because of her pregnancy and expected eventual departure. He went out of his way to hire her, even firing poor Chris Parnell to make the room in the budget. I think it's obvious that Lorne hates to not have at least three female performers at all times. I think he probably hated the last few years where he really only had one main female performer. Maybe after Kristen leaves he'll attempt to replace Abby with someone, but my point is i don't think he will fire her before he finds some who really stands out. Also, I think he is stocking up on male performers right now just to be ahead of the curve, after all Bill, Andy, Jason have been recently branching out into movies and the rest of the cast have been on quite awhile.

Ruckhappy

[27]Aug 5, 2011

At this point Wiig will be returning with a certified box-office smash to her credit, one that she both wrote and headlined. Her market value has to have skyrocketed over the summer. She may not be attached to any new projects but I'm sure her agent is getting a lot of calls. Above the title credit on a film that earns 5X over budget domestically is major mojo.

I wonder if Lorne will try to hold her to her full contract commitment for the season. Her agent(s) will be telling her (it's their job) that she's losing X hundred thousand dollars each week that she stays. She's not likely to be offered any project that would start shooting before Christmas, but her people will get million-dollar offers for roles shooting in the spring.

Leaving on good terms with Lorne is all well and good, but at what cost?

HelloStuart

[28]Aug 5, 2011
    Ruckhappy wrote:

At this point Wiig will be returning with a certified box-office smash to her credit, one that she both wrote and headlined. Her market value has to have skyrocketed over the summer. She may not be attached to any new projects but I'm sure her agent is getting a lot of calls. Above the title credit on a film that earns 5X over budget domestically is major mojo.

I wonder if Lorne will try to hold her to her full contract commitment for the season. Her agent(s) will be telling her (it's their job) that she's losing X hundred thousand dollars each week that she stays. She's not likely to be offered any project that would start shooting before Christmas, but her people will get million-dollar offers for roles shooting in the spring.

Leaving on good terms with Lorne is all well and good, but at what cost?

Kristen made it clear two years ago that 2011-12 would be her last year. Would somebody like to do the honor of digging up that EW article? :/

So retaining Abby was strategic? I suppose that makes sense, though I don't think her presence in sketches has changed much in 2 1/2 years. Being promoted to repertory did nothing for her, not unlike Finesse in Year 31.

Also, it's an unofficial rule (Lorne, Doumanian, and Ebersol adhered to this) that the cast must have a minimum three women. Otherwise, they'd be writing for men in drag.

JustinRAn

[29]Aug 6, 2011
    • level: 12
    [QUOTE/]Also, it's an unofficial rule (Lorne, Doumanian, and Ebersol adhered to this) that the cast must have a minimum three women. Otherwise, they'd be writing for men in drag.[/QUOTE]

What Show Are You Watching? They do that almost every other episode.

Episodes:
    Amy Poehler
    Bryan Cranston
    Jane Lynch
    Emma Stone
    Anne Hathaway
    Robert DeNiro
    Jeff Bridges
    Jim Carrey
    Gwyneth Paltrow
    Jesse Eisenberg (*)
    Dana Carvey
    Russell Brand
    Miley Cyrus
    Zach Galafanikis
    Elton John
    Tina Fey (*)

16/22 Episodes (73%)

Ruckhappy

[30]Aug 6, 2011

Stu is right, they don't structure the show for the male cast to play most of the female characters in drag the way Monty Python or Kids In The Hall did. They always have a bullpen, so to speak, of women performers upon which to draw. Thus I'm still expecting that Lorne will add another woman featured player. They must be auditioning new people right about now.

OT: Have they ever had a recurring character played by a woman in drag? Other than It's Pat! Casey Wilson would have been great doing that even though she's curvy. Other than Wiig--oh wait, Bayer did that barmitzvah boy character. She was good in that role but playing a juvenile isn't the same.

Back to predictions, if Hall Pass hadn't bombed so badly Lorne would be juggling the possibility that both Sudeikis and Wiig might want to leave during the season. Horrible Bosses is doing pretty well but Jason is just one of many stars in that.

JustinRAn

[31]Aug 7, 2011
    • level: 12
    http://snl.jt.org/char.php?i=532

http://snl.jt.org/char.php?i=563

http://snl.jt.org/skit.php?i=203

http://snl.jt.org/char.php?i=622

http://snl.jt.org/char.php?i=148

algetrig91

[32]Aug 7, 2011
    • level: 34
    Lorne clearly is hoping or expecting that the newbies of 2010-2011 will be as good as the featured players of 2005-2006. There were no new people following either of those years. Kristen, Fred, Kenan, Andy, Jason, and Hader lead virtually every sketch. Add Bobby and Nasim to last year's newbies and you have the six people who are gonna have to eventually carry the bulk of the sketches when the current cast leaders leave.

Ruckhappy

[33]Aug 7, 2011
    The Class of '05 newbies were much stronger in their first year. They were so good he could axe three vets as well as lose Dratch the next year. None of the current newbies have shown that they can consistently carry a sketch yet. Lorne has to plan the casting of this season based on who he has under contract for the season after. Going by the seven-year cycle, the only proven veteran player he knows he'll have back will be Moynihan. He's under-stocked for developing players in order to cover the gap. He has to add more new blood or negotiate extra option years with one or two of the vets. We wouldn't hear about the latter.

Lorne also may be using the writing staff as his bullpen and we may see cameos from those with performing backgrounds as future auditions for the regular cast.

HelloStuart

[34]Aug 8, 2011
    Ruckhappy wrote:
    Lorne also may be using the writing staff as his bullpen and we may see cameos from those with performing backgrounds as future auditions for the regular cast.

If that's the case, I'll put my support behind Michael "Pat" O'Brien.

mrjimmyjames

[35]Aug 8, 2011

Ruckhappy wrote:

Back to predictions, if Hall Pass hadn't bombed so badly Lorne would be juggling the possibility that both Sudeikis and Wiig might want to leave during the season. Horrible Bosses is doing pretty well but Jason is just one of many stars in that.

interesting to hear you say that, ruckhappy; for some reason i always thought that Bill Hader would be the first of the male featured player class of '05 (Bill, Jason, Andy) to leave the show. After all he's been landing roles in movies ever since he joined the show (just like Kristen).

I wonder if Lorne is afraid of a potentially volitile situation like this: consider that several of the cast (Seth, Fred, Kenan) came on during a period (03/04 season to 05/06) in which the show was mostly considered to be down critically and out of date. These three really did not start tocatch much success or attention until the shakeup of the 06-07 season when among other things, writing changed; Seth became head writer/ Update guy; Fred impersonates Governor Patterson, Kenan finally gets a hit with his What's Up With That and Grady Wilson sketches. My point is that these guys fall into the Kevin Nealon/ Tim Meadows/ Chris Parnell category; they have nothing safe to jump to when they leave the show, so they might just keep staying on for a while longeror may just abruptly leave at once (which is why I must also include Will Forte in that category because he left with nothing to immediately latch onto other than an appearance on Parks & Rec). This is the exact opposite of the featured player class of '05 (Bill, Jason, Andy, Kristen), who when promoted immediately helped bring SNL back to prominence. It's my opinion that any one of them is already considered talented enough that he/she could immediately jump from the show without even a movie contract or breakout movie like "Bridemaids" and land good work. My question is whether Lorne is thinking beyond the usual cycle of planning to replace longtime repetory cast members and thinking that in addition to Kristen, two of the other three from '05 (Bill, Jason, Andy) might leave before Seth, Fred, and Kenan do. Or beyond that suppose one of them (Seth, Fred, and Kenan) leaves also. This could be a "perfect storm of departures" for season 38 considering Bill, Jason, Andy, & Kristen are the main drivers of the show.

Edited on 08/08/2011 9:39am
    Edited 2 total times.

Ruckhappy

[36]Aug 9, 2011

mrjimmyjames wrote:

Ruckhappy wrote:

interesting to hear you say that, ruckhappy; for some reason i always thought that Bill Hader would be the first of the male featured player class of '05 (Bill, Jason, Andy) to leave the show. After all he's been landing roles in movies ever since he joined the show (just like Kristen).

Bill Hader was one of the most talented players at SNL from the first minute he walked into 8H. I'm going to hate it when he does leave.

Thing is...Bill is goofy-looking. He just is. Supporting roles like the one he had in Forgetting Sarah Marshall are the best he can hope for in films. Juxtapose him with Sudeikis, who is a talented comic actor and has leading-man looks, a combination we haven't seen on the show since Chevy Chase. Same with Wiig. She's pretty enough to play comic leads, and now she's getting them.

mrjimmyjames wrote:

I wonder if Lorne is afraid of a potentially volitile situation like this: consider that several of the cast (Seth, Fred, Kenan) came on during a period (03/04 season to 05/06) in which the show was mostly considered to be down critically and out of date. These three really did not start tocatch much success or attention until the shakeup of the 06-07 season when among other things, writing changed; Seth became head writer/ Update guy; Fred impersonates Governor Patterson, Kenan finally gets a hit with his What's Up With That and Grady Wilson sketches. My point is that these guys fall into the Kevin Nealon/ Tim Meadows/ Chris Parnell category; they have nothing safe to jump to when they leave the show, so they might just keep staying on for a while longeror may just abruptly leave at once (which is why I must also include Will Forte in that category because he left with nothing to immediately latch onto other than an appearance on Parks & Rec). This is the exact opposite of the featured player class of '05 (Bill, Jason, Andy, Kristen), who when promoted immediately helped bring SNL back to prominence. It's my opinion that any one of them is already considered talented enough that he/she could immediately jump from the show without even a movie contract or breakout movie like "Bridemaids" and land good work. My question is whether Lorne is thinking beyond the usual cycle of planning to replace longtime repetory cast members and thinking that in addition to Kristen, two of the other three from '05 (Bill, Jason, Andy) might leave before Seth, Fred, and Kenan do. Or beyond that suppose one of them (Seth, Fred, and Kenan) leaves also. This could be a "perfect storm of departures" for season 38 considering Bill, Jason, Andy, & Kristen are the main drivers of the show.

Right, that's why I stressed "under contract." Bill, Fred and Kenan might very well want to stay on after this season, but Lorne can't risk the chance they might leave along with the rest and possibly leave him with no proven vets except Moynihan. Or, more realistically, with only Bobby and a played-out Kenan. He's got to get one of the vets to sign a contract extension (which may already have happened) or bring in more new blood.

Or look at it another way, if Lorne promotes two to repertory and signs two new featured players, and some reasonable number of the newbies develop to where they can carry sketches, that will leave SNL restocked with fresh blood and leave room for Lorne to axe those who need to go. Give Fred a nudge to move on. Boot Kenan outright (he's not going to leave on his own). Cull the newbies who aren't working out, if necessary, and sign new players.

That requires Lorne to carry a large cast this year, but he dug this hole himself by burning through so many new women players in the past three years. And yeah, by sticking with Abby. I'm surprised that Stu hasn't twitted me about this because carrying Abby for another season is a lot of the problem. But Lorne has to keep her now.

I dunno, maybe Lorne is willing to gamble a bit. As I've been watching reruns I've been spotting more and more bits where Pedrad, Killam and Bayer showed a lot of promise last season. Lorne knows how to develop a cast by now. He may have reviewed all the good material the new kids had that got cut in dress and judged himself set for the season after next. Hader, Moynihan, Bayer, Killam and Pedrad, that could be a good core of a revamped cast. Figure that one or two of Brittan, Pharoah and Elliott will finally step up, sign three or four new featured players and you're set.

Also, I wouldn't lump Seth in with the others. His only on-camera gig is Update, plus he's the head writer. Why he might want to leave and what Lorne would have to do to replace him is a different set of issues.

Ruckhappy

[37]Aug 9, 2011

HelloStuart wrote:
    Ruckhappy wrote:
    If that's the case, I'll put my support behind Michael "Pat" O'Brien.

From what I've seen of him on 7 Minutes In Heaven, he's a long way from camera-ready. I'm not impressed with Mulaney's on-camera stints either. My money would be on Heather Anne Campbell. And can't they hire a black woman writer for once? Hiring writers out of the Harvard Lampoon conduit is getting lame. The days of Doug Kenney are long, long gone.

malcovio

[38]Aug 9, 2011
    • level: 11
    Hey Stu, who of the current cast do you think would hurt the show the most by leaving? Or at least have the biggest impact? Not including Seth because he's head writer.

Ruckhappy

[39]Aug 9, 2011

The most impact? Wiig. She's the biggest star on the show now, the biggest ratings draw. Wiig's departure, whenever it is, will get the most press attention. It will be perceived like Poehler leaving again, only with no proven women in the cast to replace her.

Actually indispensable? Hader. Take the political sketches, one of their mainstays. Put Killam in a suit with orange pancake and he can do Boehner. Pedrad could do Olympia Snowe just as well as Slate did. But who can play decrepit Sen. Bob Byrd fantasizing about Scott Brown (John Hamm) as a flapper? Only Hader. You need a Conan? Hader. You need a New Jersey goombah? Hader. Plus all the recurring characters he's already developed. He can play a straight man just as well as Sudeikis or do another Laser Cats. Guy gives them so much range.

One option Lorne has at the moment if he loses one or two key cast is loading up the hosting lineup with proven regulars who are sketch players just as good as the regular cast. JT, Hamm, Hathaway, Hanks, ScarJo, Zach G., Drew B., Franco, JT again, maybe Steve Martin, maybe Baldwin again. Also the ex-cast who seem to be willing to come back: Fey, Poehler, etc. I don't think he'd do it but if he wanted to he could replace one castmember on a rotating basis for quite a while just with proven hosts, depending on who he could get.

Edited on 08/09/2011 3:14pm

mrjimmyjames

[40]Aug 10, 2011

[QUOTE="Ruckhappy"]

[QUOTE="mrjimmyjames"]

Ruckhappy wrote:

Also, I wouldn't lump Seth in with the others. His only on-camera gig is Update, plus he's the head writer. Why he might want to leave and what Lorne would have to do to replace him is a different set of issues.

I agree. I actually consider Seth to be the successor to Tina Fey. He's been very good in that role, however, i thought he was terrible as sketch performer and is part of why he's been on the show for so long. As for Kristen's future, who's willing to bet that she will become the female performer with the most successful post SNL career or will it stay someone else (Tina?).

Ruckhappy

[41]Aug 10, 2011

mrjimmyjames wrote:

Ruckhappy wrote:

I agree. I actually consider Seth to be the successor to Tina Fey. He's been very good in that role, however, i thought he was terrible as sketch performer and is part of why he's been on the show for so long.

I don't think he's all that good hosting Update solo (my opinion) and they can't have him go back to being a repertory player because, as you say, he was pretty awful in sketches. He's not going to give up Update and stay with the show unless he gets kicked upstairs with a major promotion.

I'm not surprised and yet still sort of surprised that he's coming back for another season. He gave a huge "Goodbye forever!" wave during goodnights for the final show last season. Lorne may have asked him to come back because there's no clear successor. Sudeikis could easily replace Seth but Jason already has a foot and two toes out the door. Killam might be good. But please Dog, don't let Lorne give it to Armisen.

If Seth does have a co-anchor when the show comes back, that would be a sign he's leaving.

mrjimmyjames wrote:

As for Kristen's future, who's willing to bet that she will become the female performer with the most successful post SNL career or will it stay someone else (Tina?).

My money would still be on Tina for now because 30 Rock is such a hit (except for ratings) and she's doing even better than Wiig in films. Wiig is already as successful in films as Poehler and Jane Curtain (can't forget Jane, she had the lead in two successful sitcoms) have been in post-SNL TV.

I'm glad for Kristen's success as a movie actress. She has shown a real deft, subtle touch playing scenes on screen. I thought it was sad that Whip It! tanked at the box office because she was really good in that, showed potential for playing drama well in the future. I'm one of those people for whom her over-the-top SNL sketch roles are like nails on a chalkboard--if I see another Gilly I'll rip my own eyeballs out--but I can appreciate that she's a completely different performer off the show.