Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

Season 37...

  • Avatar of JustinRAn

    JustinRAn

    [42]Aug 10, 2011
    • member since: 12/30/09
    • level: 12
    • rank: Evil Bert
    • posts: 1,298
    Wiig has so many annoying characters that anything I see Wiig in (Not a hard thing to do), I Don't see the Role/Character, I See Wiig overacting and being annoying and it takes me out of the film. Even her voice annoys me (Her as Lola Bunny on The Looney Tunes Show)
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of mrjimmyjames

    mrjimmyjames

    [43]Aug 11, 2011
    • member since: 05/13/10
    • level: 7
    • rank: Talk Show Host
    • posts: 424

    Ruckhappy wrote:


    mrjimmyjames wrote:


    Ruckhappy wrote:


    Also, I wouldn't lump Seth in with the others. His only on-camera gig is Update, plus he's the head writer. Why he might want to leave and what Lorne would have to do to replace him is a different set of issues.



    I agree. I actually consider Seth to be the successor to Tina Fey. He's been very good in that role, however, i thought he was terrible as sketch performer and is part of why he's been on the show for so long.



    I don't think he's all that good hosting Update solo (my opinion) and they can't have him go back to being a repertory player because, as you say, he was pretty awful in sketches. He's not going to give up Update and stay with the show unless he gets kicked upstairs with a major promotion.


    I'm not surprised and yet still sort of surprised that he's coming back for another season. He gave a huge "Goodbye forever!" wave during goodnights for the final show last season. Lorne may have asked him to come back because there's no clear successor. Sudeikis could easily replace Seth but Jason already has a foot and two toes out the door. Killam might be good. But please Dog, don't let Lorne give it to Armisen.


    If Seth does have a co-anchor when the show comes back, that would be a sign he's leaving.


    mrjimmyjames wrote:


    As for Kristen's future, who's willing to bet that she will become the female performer with the most successful post SNL career or will it stay someone else (Tina?).



    My money would still be on Tina for now because 30 Rock is such a hit (except for ratings) and she's doing even better than Wiig in films. Wiig is already as successful in films as Poehler and Jane Curtain (can't forget Jane, she had the lead in two successful sitcoms) have been in post-SNL TV.


    I'm glad for Kristen's success as a movie actress. She has shown a real deft, subtle touch playing scenes on screen. I thought it was sad that Whip It! tanked at the box office because she was really good in that, showed potential for playing drama well in the future. I'm one of those people for whom her over-the-top SNL sketch roles are like nails on a chalkboard--if I see another Gilly I'll rip my own eyeballs out--but I can appreciate that she's a completely different performer off the show.



    Armisen as WU anchor? That would be a sight to see. I wouldn't worry about that though; I think he has one foot dangling out the door just like Jason. I've always thought that Seth was very good on Update but I do realize that he's extremely dry and that's bound to be polarizing among viewers. I also believe that Update should always have two anchors; you don't want the segments' jokes to live and die by one person. What it's going to take Seth to leave is a deal to create a tv show or success in writing screenplays. Until that happens he has no reason to leave and Lorne seems to be happy with the buzz he has gotten with his stint as anchor.



    I think i agree about Tina. Just think, we haven't even seen her do that many movies yet because she has most of her schedule taken up by 30 Rock. Imagine how big she'll be when 30 Rock eventually ends.


    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of JustinRAn

    JustinRAn

    [44]Aug 11, 2011
    • member since: 12/30/09
    • level: 12
    • rank: Evil Bert
    • posts: 1,298
    ^ I've thought Abby or Vanessa would be good co-hosts with Seth.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Ruckhappy

    Ruckhappy

    [45]Aug 11, 2011
    • member since: 08/03/11
    • level: 9
    • rank: Door Number 2
    • posts: 816

    I don't think Abby has the screen presence to anchor, and she's still very young. Bayer would need to tone down the enthusiasm a bit. The thing about having any of the newer players do it is that anchoring Update has become such a time load and they need plenty of time in sketches to develop their chops. Fallon was still pretty new when he started doing Update but he never became much of a sketch player, did he?


    It's back to the same problem, Lorne has waited too long and has the wrong mix of established cast to replace Meyers right away. Gee, wouldn't Michaela Watkins have made a good Update anchor? Uh huh. Moynihan isn't the type for that role.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of mrjimmyjames

    mrjimmyjames

    [46]Aug 12, 2011
    • member since: 05/13/10
    • level: 7
    • rank: Talk Show Host
    • posts: 424

    I've always thought that Tina and Seth were the real brains behind WU. Sure Jimmy and Amy contributed but the tone of the segment was established by Tina and Seth. I don't believe there really was anyone on the show that had enough chemistry with Seth to co-anchor WU; remember Lorne has really struggled to add new female performers in the last few years. I've always thought it was weird that Seth was allowed to become a solo anchor but Tina was not. What was that about? I do wish however, that he did have a co-anchor because I love how Lorne has been able to keep WU stable over the last decade without having to start it all over every time someone leaves.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of JustinRAn

    JustinRAn

    [48]Aug 12, 2011
    • member since: 12/30/09
    • level: 12
    • rank: Evil Bert
    • posts: 1,298
    Jimmy was going to Do Update Solo but he said he'd do it if they had a CoHost, So they got Tina Fey.

    Jimmy did Update after 2 Years being a Cast Member, So Abby Could do Update (If nothing else, She'd get Screen Time)
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of algetrig91

    algetrig91

    [49]Aug 12, 2011
    • member since: 06/02/05
    • level: 34
    • rank: Wardrobe Malfunction
    • posts: 2,490
    Ruckhappy wrote:

    It's back to the same problem, Lorne has waited too long and has the wrong mix of established cast to replace Meyers right away. Gee, wouldn't Michaela Watkins have made a good Update anchor? Uh huh. Moynihan isn't the type for that role.



    Keeping Abby and firing Michaela will forever confuse me. That's the reason they are in this position right now.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of thefanof

    thefanof

    [50]Aug 12, 2011
    • member since: 12/22/07
    • level: 102
    • rank: "Hey, hey, hey!"
    • posts: 745
    algetrig91 wrote:
    Ruckhappy wrote:

    It's back to the same problem, Lorne has waited too long and has the wrong mix of established cast to replace Meyers right away. Gee, wouldn't Michaela Watkins have made a good Update anchor? Uh huh. Moynihan isn't the type for that role.



    Keeping Abby and firing Michaela will forever confuse me. That's the reason they are in this position right now.


    Abby has some good impressions and she can be funny if they give her the right character. The problem is that she never gets to be the "funny one" in a sketch, she's always a mom, or the sister or a stranger to that individual.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Ruckhappy

    Ruckhappy

    [51]Aug 12, 2011
    • member since: 08/03/11
    • level: 9
    • rank: Door Number 2
    • posts: 816
    The history of the show has been that if you are new in the cast, you earn leads in sketches by developing the material yourself. Especially the women. You need to come into the pitch meetings with a premise for a sketch that is more than just an impression. Maybe the lead character is really right for you but it sells because it's a good sketch idea. Then you schmooze the right writer to work with you on it and it kills at the table read. Then you cross your fingers that it doesn't get cut in dress.

    Lorne, having invested a lot to bring you into the cast, is going to give you your shots if you hustle and grind to get sketches featuring you to dress. If he cuts it that week he'll try to get it on the next or air the next sketch you fight to get to dress.

    My sense is that this is where Elliott is losing out. She doesn't seem to have had enough time in the stage improv. world to have learned how to create whole sketches for herself, not just impressions or roles.

    And she doesn't have the right experience for Update. It's been said that doing update is more like doing stand-up, because you're working the material as yourself, not as a character. Elliott hasn't done stand-up, has she?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Ruckhappy

    Ruckhappy

    [52]Aug 12, 2011
    • member since: 08/03/11
    • level: 9
    • rank: Door Number 2
    • posts: 816

    ...and schmoozing up the host most of all. How did Nasim get the lead in the Roomies sketch with Taylor Swift? Maybe when they were introduced she slipped in, "...I hope you have a great week, I've been really looking forward to you hosting. I've got this great for a sketch where we play two roommates and I think you'd be great in it." And at the pitch meeting Swift listens extra close because Pedrad seems nice and likeable and is her own age and wants her to be the sketch.


    Sometimes Abby seems a little too shy and young to do what it takes to make opportunities for herself. She couldn't find a way to connect with Emma Stone, Eisenberg or Cyrus?

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of drudager

    drudager

    [53]Aug 12, 2011
    • member since: 07/07/11
    • level: 13
    • rank: Regal Beagle
    • posts: 1,282
    I take it Maya will be hosting this season if her new show "Up All Night" sticks; tho not a sure thing since it has Will Arnett in it whom seems to be sitcom poison. Does anybody even watch NBC anymore?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of thefanof

    thefanof

    [54]Aug 12, 2011
    • member since: 12/22/07
    • level: 102
    • rank: "Hey, hey, hey!"
    • posts: 745
    Ruckhappy wrote:

    ...and schmoozing up the host most of all. How did Nasim get the lead in the Roomies sketch with Taylor Swift? Maybe when they were introduced she slipped in, "...I hope you have a great week, I've been really looking forward to you hosting. I've got this great for a sketch where we play two roommates and I think you'd be great in it." And at the pitch meeting Swift listens extra close because Pedrad seems nice and likeable and is her own age and wants her to be the sketch.


    Sometimes Abby seems a little too shy and young to do what it takes to make opportunities for herself. She couldn't find a way to connect with Emma Stone, Eisenberg or Cyrus?



    I think you're setting a bad precedent though. There are a lot of people that both write and act. A lot of comedians have gotten popular by starting as writers and using that to get into acting. I get that, and that is perhaps no more prevalent in any avenue than a sketch comedy show like SNL.

    But the fact is at the end of the day they are actors. They may have writing backgrounds, but they are hired to be a part of the cast. They should be able to show up, get their material and give it their all on Saturday.

    If someone posed the question five years from now, "How come Abby Elliott never really turned into something?" you could point to her lack of getting into writing and using it to propel their career the way Will Forte or Kristen Wiig or JB Smoove did, but she shouldn't get very few opportunities to be the star of a sketch just because she doesn't want to write one when that's not what she was hired to do.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Ruckhappy

    Ruckhappy

    [55]Aug 12, 2011
    • member since: 08/03/11
    • level: 9
    • rank: Door Number 2
    • posts: 816

    thefanof wrote:
    Ruckhappy wrote:


    ...and schmoozing up the host most of all. How did Nasim get the lead in the Roomies sketch with Taylor Swift? Maybe when they were introduced she slipped in, "...I hope you have a great week, I've been really looking forward to you hosting. I've got this great for a sketch where we play two roommates and I think you'd be great in it." And at the pitch meeting Swift listens extra close because Pedrad seems nice and likeable and is her own age and wants her to be the sketch.


    Sometimes Abby seems a little too shy and young to do what it takes to make opportunities for herself. She couldn't find a way to connect with Emma Stone, Eisenberg or Cyrus?


    I think you're setting a bad precedent though. There are a lot of people that both write and act. A lot of comedians have gotten popular by starting as writers and using that to get into acting. I get that, and that is perhaps no more prevalent in any avenue than a sketch comedy show like SNL. But the fact is at the end of the day they are actors. They may have writing backgrounds, but they are hired to be a part of the cast. They should be able to show up, get their material and give it their all on Saturday. If someone posed the question five years from now, "How come Abby Elliott never really turned into something?" you could point to her lack of getting into writing and using it to propel their career the way Will Forte or Kristen Wiig or JB Smoove did, but she shouldn't get very few opportunities to be the star of a sketch just because she doesn't want to write one when that's not what she was hired to do.


    Ah, but if you are hired as on-screen talent for SNL you are expected to write. I don't believe I've ever heard or read a quote from Lorne where he referred to SNL cast as actors. Performers, yes, but not actors. If you go waaaay back to the pre-production and first half of the first season, Ebersol probably thought of those scruffy schmucks Lorne hired as actors. But I am sure that Lorne always expected them to be performer-writers. And after that point, well, there have been periodic exceptions to the rule, but rarely. Hell, it's institutional. On Tuesday the writers and cast are expected to come in and pitch to Lorne, the host and senior production staff a pile of ideas for sketches, bits, etc.


    SNL is always...about...the writing. Ultimately. And if Abby Elliott can't hack that, well, I'm sure she'll make a nice living playing wacky sidekicks in sitcoms for ten, fifteen years and then another ten or so playing funny moms. Then she can eke out her golden years teaching "television acting" seminars in run-down Holiday Inn conference rooms or just open a vein in the bath.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Ruckhappy

    Ruckhappy

    [56]Aug 12, 2011
    • member since: 08/03/11
    • level: 9
    • rank: Door Number 2
    • posts: 816

    drudager wrote:
    I take it Maya will be hosting this season if her new show "Up All Night" sticks; tho not a sure thing since it has Will Arnett in it whom seems to be sitcom poison. Does anybody even watch NBC anymore?


    You mean like live, first-run network broadcast TV? Only if I'm in a hotel room someplace.


    Maya has three toddlers & babies at home and she's third-billed on that show. I think it's a safe bet you'll see Applegate or Arnett hosting before her, probably the latter.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of HelloStuart

    HelloStuart

    [57]Aug 12, 2011
    • member since: 06/03/05
    • level: 63
    • rank: Browncoat
    • posts: 27,248
    Ruckhappy wrote:
    The history of the show has been that if you are new in the cast, you earn leads in sketches by developing the material yourself. Especially the women. You need to come into the pitch meetings with a premise for a sketch that is more than just an impression. Maybe the lead character is really right for you but it sells because it's a good sketch idea. Then you schmooze the right writer to work with you on it and it kills at the table read. Then you cross your fingers that it doesn't get cut in dress.

    Lorne, having invested a lot to bring you into the cast, is going to give you your shots if you hustle and grind to get sketches featuring you to dress. If he cuts it that week he'll try to get it on the next or air the next sketch you fight to get to dress.

    My sense is that this is where Elliott is losing out. She doesn't seem to have had enough time in the stage improv world to have learned how to create whole sketches for herself, not just impressions or roles.

    And she doesn't have the right experience for Update. It's been said that doing update is more like doing stand-up, because you're working the material as yourself, not as a character. Elliott hasn't done stand-up, has she?

    Agreed on nearly every count. Abby has a lot of upside for sure, but she might've been thrust onto the SNL stage a bit too soon. An average college junior at the Groundlings would not have made the leap is she weren't Bob Elliott's granddaughter (or Chris Elliott's first born, for that matter). Sometimes an audition puts too much weight on your strengths; even a home run hitter can hit .200.

    As for Abby doing stand-up, I highly doubt it. Her style is too character-based. It probably wouldn't hurt if she wrote a commentary for Update not unlike the stand-ups that dominated the show in the early '90s, but I can't picture her doing so.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Ruckhappy

    Ruckhappy

    [58]Aug 15, 2011
    • member since: 08/03/11
    • level: 9
    • rank: Door Number 2
    • posts: 816

    Here's one for Abby: A dance-duel, Ann-Margaret (Wiig) versus Joey Heatherton (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlZZgPxR3Bk&feature=related) in "Will one of youse finish mopping the friggin' floor?!"


    I know, I know, no one remembers who Joey Heatherton is, but almost no one remembers who Ann-Margaret is these days. Heck, they could just reenact this classic cheesefest (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6yctVNg62I&feature=related) whole with Abby as Heatherton, Hader as Tony Randall and Armisen as Bennett Cerf. I would be the only one laughing but I still think it's be a scream.


    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of TheDiamondDog

    TheDiamondDog

    [59]Aug 18, 2011
    • member since: 06/14/05
    • level: 61
    • rank: Gold Monkey
    • posts: 19,860

    I know who Ann Margaret is. But I happen to know a lot about old movies.


    I do remember thinking Abby could have played her though. Granted that twas not the best skit.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of HelloStuart

    HelloStuart

    [60]Aug 18, 2011
    • member since: 06/03/05
    • level: 63
    • rank: Browncoat
    • posts: 27,248
    TheDiamondDog wrote:

    I know who Ann Margaret is. But I happen to know a lot about old movies.


    Supposedly, Ann-Margret went to college with my dad back in the late '50s. She had a flighty persona, sure, but she also earned her bachelor's at Northwestern.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Ruckhappy

    Ruckhappy

    [61]Aug 18, 2011
    • member since: 08/03/11
    • level: 9
    • rank: Door Number 2
    • posts: 816

    HelloStuart wrote:
    TheDiamondDog wrote:


    I know who Ann Margaret is. But I happen to know a lot about old movies.


    Supposedly, Ann-Margret went to college with my dad back in the late '50s. She had a flighty persona, sure, but she also earned her bachelor's at Northwestern.


    Good school, with one of the top theatre programs in the country even then. Brad Hall and Dreyfus are Northwestern grads, anyone else from the cast? I think Molly Shannon is a Tisch grad.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Ruckhappy

    Ruckhappy

    [62]Aug 19, 2011
    • member since: 08/03/11
    • level: 9
    • rank: Door Number 2
    • posts: 816

    Bridesmaids is now up to $270 million in worldwide grosses. It's grossed more than any of Will Ferrell's films. Going by Box Office Mojo's numbers it's the second highest grossing movie by a current cast member ever, second to Animal House.


    I'm predicting that you will see Wiig in, like, every cold open for the first half of the season. They can't really use her more than they already have been the last couple of seasons, but they'll want her face out in front so that new viewers tuning in because they liked her movie will know she's on the show that night. They did the same thing with Chevy and Eddie.


    And here's a wild prediction. She'll leave the show and come right back and host the opener for Season 38. It would be unprecedented but I have this feeling. Her star could dim if her next film bombs but if she keeps her mojo I could see this happening. Certainly they'll want her back to host season after next.


    When Eddie Murphy hosted the season after he left the show, was that a contractual obligation thing?

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.