Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

Season 37...

Ruckhappy

[85]Feb 20, 2012
    • level: 9

drudager wrote:
    Speaking of Wiig, has an SNL cast member EVER left when they were supposed to or when they should have? It seems like they always stay at least a year or 3 too long. I think this board may be the only place that feels Wiig-overindulgence & fatigue. She could be on for another 2 years at least. I think the SNL 5-year rule is long antiquated & moot.

It's a seven-year rule now (that's how long new-cast contracts run, so it's said). I think it feels like that because of the long tenures of Kenan, Fred and Seth. If you check the episode numbers on IMDB, most people have been leaving when their initial contracts run out (7 years now, 6 years before that and 5 years, I guess, back in the 90's).

Thing is, no one has hit it this big while they were on the show since Eddie Murphy. As has been noted elsewhere, she has to be getting piles of offers now and she'll never be this hot again.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Ruckhappy

[86]Feb 20, 2012

drudager wrote:
    Speaking of exits, is Seth Meyers ever going to leave, at least on-air? I've always found his WU style of talking REALLY loud extremely abrasive and unnerving. Almost teetering on Lewis Black.

Other than Norm, when has an Update anchor been forced out? Lorne has a real blind spot about letting favored long-timers stick around, and Seth is one of the worst examples. It's amazing to look at the numbers and realize he's been on the show longer than anyone but Hammond. But Lorne loves it when his kids become famous enough to do things like host the White House Correspondents dinner, like Seth did. Lorne loves that kind of insider cred. So Seth stays even though Update has been steadily fading under his hand.

HelloStuart

[87]Feb 20, 2012
    • level: 63
    drudager wrote:
    Speaking of Wiig, has an SNL cast member EVER left when they were supposed to or when they should have? It seems like they always stay at least a year or 3 too long. I think this board may be the only place that feels Wiig-overindulgence and fatigue. She could be on for another 2 years at least. I think the SNL 5-year rule is long antiquated & moot.

When was the last time a cast member --at least, one with a substantial track record-- only stayed for five years? If you think Cheri Oteri counts...

With the Wiig example, I'm sure we're not alone. On one hand, she can dependably carry a sketch; on the other, you have to wonder why she hasn't left to focus on movies.

As for Lorne's "blind spot," he prefers stability over constant turnover. If it were up to him, the renaissance cast of the late '80s would've stuck around for 10 years. Sure, SNL is noted as a breeding ground for new comedic talent, but it's not a farm league for anyone or anything in particular. The same talent pool that SNL casts from is shared by sitcoms and late night talk shows alike. Lorne and the producers have all but perfected a system where new featured players come aboard whenever they feel a vacancy has been created.

Ruckhappy

[88]Feb 20, 2012

Nine (Kenan), ten (Fred) and eleven (Seth) season runs are stagnation, not stability. Kenan has been in four times as many episodes of SNL as Cleese did Monty Pythons. In those, Cleese did Dead Parrot, Cheese Shop, Argument Clinic, Self-Defense Against Fruit, Silly Walks, etc., etc. Kenan has done...What's Up With That?

When Seth joined the show my younger daughter was still in diapers. When he joined Update my son was in diapers. At the rate he's going I'll be in Depends by the time he leaves. And he's still rushing his delivery.

drudager

[89]Feb 21, 2012
    • level: 13
    Yeah, what's up with that? Just making a general comment here. I think it's very telling that the hardcore fans of the show are more busy talking about cast member departures rather than hoping they stay for another year or two. It shows you the show is stagnant & repetitive, and is teetering on boredom & change is needed because the current set is just not working. Whether this is due to Lorne and his stubbornness or the lack of premiere talent or both, it's obvious he doesn't get at all that cast members have a shelf life and many are staying well past their expiration dates. And that fact that previous cast members held on obviously too long left a sour taste in the mouth to the point of "what are you still doing here? Why won't you LEAVE?"

I think everybody from Season 31 & earlier needs to leave. So that's Sudeikis, Hader, Wiig, Samberg, Fred, Seth, Kenan. Frick, that's 70% of the cast, plus Abby is deadwood so that's 80%. Off the top of my head, I think the trend is only 1 or 2 leave at a time; at least in the past 15 years. In other words, we'll be stuck with most of this cast for the remainder of the decade. I would be shocked if more than 2 people left after this season.

Ruckhappy

[90]Feb 29, 2012

Wiig is attached to another major film project. She is so gone from the show at this point.

http://www.showblitz.com/2012/02/descendants-writers-sell-wiig-pitch-to-indian-paintbrush.html

mrjimmyjames

[91]Mar 3, 2012
    • level: 7

Ruckhappy wrote:

Nine (Kenan), ten (Fred) and eleven (Seth) season runs are stagnation, not stability. Kenan has been in four times as many episodes of SNL as Cleese did Monty Pythons. In those, Cleese did Dead Parrot, Cheese Shop, Argument Clinic, Self-Defense Against Fruit, Silly Walks, etc., etc. Kenan has done...What's Up With That?

When Seth joined the show my younger daughter was still in diapers. When he joined Update my son was in diapers. At the rate he's going I'll be in Depends by the time he leaves. And he's still rushing his delivery.

I agree that cast tenures are really starting to stagnate and that at least some change is needed but I would point out that this is not the first time something like this has happened. I love Tim Meadows but what really did he do on the show outside of The Ladies Man; he was on for ten years and never really contributed until the late 90s. Kevin Nealon was on for I believe nine years and Chris Parnell for I think eight years and if not for budget cuts probably much longer. Tim, Kevin, and Chris were just like Kenan, Fred, and Seth; they were often overlooked and it took them a while to find something that made them standout. They were not big stars so they had nothing to quickly jump off for. So it doesn't suprise me that they're still on the show; what really suprises me is that its not looking like Bill, Jason, or Andy (who have been in a lot more movies) are ready to jump off yet.

Ruckhappy

[92]Mar 4, 2012

Did you watch tonight's show? I think that was Jason saying goodbye. I hope so. His performance was, frankly, unprofessional.

Andy's tenure probably hinges on how his movie with Sandler does. If it's a hit, color him gone.

Bill is married and has a baby at home so it makes sense for him to stick with SNL.

mrjimmyjames

[93]Mar 4, 2012

Ruckhappy wrote:

Did you watch tonight's show? I think that was Jason saying goodbye. I hope so. His performance was, frankly, unprofessional.

Andy's tenure probably hinges on how his movie with Sandler does. If it's a hit, color him gone.

Bill is married and has a baby at home so it makes sense for him to stick with SNL.

It's funny. I used to always think that out of Bill, Jason, Andy, and Kristen that Kristen and Bill would be the first to leave. After all Bill and Kristen have probably had the most film roles of the four. But now I just can't see Bill leaving yet; he's more of a character actor and as a result may not be able to jump into such a steady film career like it appears Wiig is going to try to do. If Jason leaves it will probably be at the end of the season. I don't know I can't really see Andy leaving yet; I've always thought of him as outlasting the other three of the group.

JustinRAn

[94]Apr 16, 2012
    • level: 12
    Ruckhappy wrote:

Really about Andy? Tell that to Will Forte who left to make the Oscar film that is MacGruber?

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Seth needs a female cohost. IMO, He's in his own world and disconnected from the cast (The bits are characters/ impressions, Not cast members). There are Updates where It feels like they're dreams he's having.

Ruckhappy

[95]Apr 16, 2012

JustinRAn wrote:
    Ruckhappy wrote:

Really about Andy? Tell that to Will Forte who left to make the Oscar film that is MacGruber?

Actors never take note of the pitfalls of their contemporaries, because they always think they're so much more talented, it'll never happen to them. Even the nicest actors still have huge egos. It's a Darwinian thing. You just won't make it far in the biz unless you have massive balls.

Anyway, last night's show made it clear that SNL is in swansong mode for Kristen, Jason and Andy, and possibly Fred. They're all leaving, which is why we're getting the hit parade of their most "popular" characters. And look, if you're going to inflict a last Garth & Kat on us, at least ease the pain by announcing it'll be the last time we have to suffer through them. Holding back on announcing their departures just fuels speculation that overshadows the new kids rather than prevents that. This is Lorne at his worst, trying to stick with his formula with handling the cast despite it being evident that his system for casting has been breaking down the past couple of years.

mrjimmyjames

[96]Apr 17, 2012

JustinRAn wrote:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Seth needs a female cohost. IMO, He's in his own world and disconnected from the cast (The bits are characters/ impressions, Not cast members). There are Updates where It feels like they're dreams he's having.

I agree that he needs a female cohost; Update seems like it has declined somewhat since Amy left. I think that Update is at its best when it has two hosts.

Ruckhappy

[97]Apr 17, 2012

mrjimmyjames wrote:

JustinRAn wrote:

I agree that he needs a female cohost; Update seems like it has declined somewhat since Amy left. I think that Update is at its best when it has two hosts.

Seth is way to impressed with his own comic genius to accept sharing the Update desk with a co-anchor again.

drudager

[98]Apr 17, 2012
    Ruckhappy wrote:

mrjimmyjames wrote:

JustinRAn wrote:

Seth is way to impressed with his own comic genius to accept sharing the Update desk with a co-anchor again.

Or Seth could just leave the anchor desk & let somebody / two other people do it **ducks for cover**.

That said, I'm really looking forward to the changes & the new season of 38.

HelloStuart

[99]Apr 18, 2012
    mrjimmyjames wrote:

JustinRAn wrote:

Tell that to Dennis Miller and Norm MacDonald.

avmon

[100]Apr 18, 2012
    • level: 17
    HelloStuart wrote:
    mrjimmyjames wrote:

JustinRAn wrote:

Or Chevy Chase...

drudager

[101]Apr 18, 2012
    avmon wrote:
    HelloStuart wrote:
    mrjimmyjames wrote:

JustinRAn wrote:

Or Chevy Chase...

Or Kevin Nealon...

Ruckhappy

[102]Apr 18, 2012

drudager wrote:
    Or Seth could just leave the anchor desk & let somebody / two other people do it **ducks for cover**. That said, I'm really looking forward to the changes & the new season of 38.

No need to duck, I think a lot of SNL aficionados agree that it's time for Seth to step down from the Update desk. It's not going to happen until he leaves the show though.

They would be in a hole replacing Seth because the most likely replacements, Taran or Bill (assuming he stays), will be needed as sketch leads. For that matter, so will Nasim and Vanessa.

Am I hoping in vain that they'll announce another addition to the cast this season?

HelloStuart

[103]Apr 19, 2012
    Ruckhappy wrote:

drudager wrote:
    Or Seth could just leave the anchor desk & let somebody / two other people do it **ducks for cover**. That said, I'm really looking forward to the changes & the new season of 38.

No need to duck, I think a lot of SNL aficionados agree that it's time for Seth to step down from the Update desk. It's not going to happen until he leaves the show though.

They would be in a hole replacing Seth because the most likely replacements, Taran or Bill (assuming he stays), will be needed as sketch leads. For that matter, so will Nasim and Vanessa.

Am I hoping in vain that they'll announce another addition to the cast this season?

More than likely, if we see any more new talent, it will be at the beginning of next season.

mrjimmyjames

[104]Apr 23, 2012

avmon wrote:
    HelloStuart wrote:
    mrjimmyjames wrote:

JustinRAn wrote:

Or Chevy Chase...

From what I understand, no one could ever tell Chevy anything...

Why is it that Tina was never allowed to be the sole anchordespite being very successful on Update? Yet as soon as Amy leaves Seth becomes a solo anchor.