HelloStuart

[105]Apr 23, 2012
    • level: 63
    mrjimmyjames wrote:

avmon wrote:
    HelloStuart wrote:
    mrjimmyjames wrote:

JustinRAn wrote:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Seth needs a female cohost. IMO, He's in his own world and disconnected from the cast (The bits are characters/ impressions, Not cast members). There are Updates where It feels like they're dreams he's having.

I agree that he needs a female cohost; Update seems like it has declined somewhat since Amy left. I think that Update is at its best when it has two hosts.

Tell that to Dennis Miller and Norm MacDonald.
    Or Chevy Chase...

From what I understand, no one could ever tell Chevy anything...

Why is it that Tina was never allowed to be the sole anchor despite being very successful on Update? Yet as soon as Amy leaves Seth becomes a solo anchor.

At the time, there was a general consensus that WU had gone stale and that a tandem of anchors might be the kick in the pants the segment needed.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

mrjimmyjames

[106]Apr 24, 2012
    • level: 7

HelloStuart wrote:
    mrjimmyjames wrote:

avmon wrote:
    HelloStuart wrote:
    mrjimmyjames wrote:

JustinRAn wrote:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Seth needs a female cohost. IMO, He's in his own world and disconnected from the cast (The bits are characters/ impressions, Not cast members). There are Updates where It feels like they're dreams he's having.

I agree that he needs a female cohost; Update seems like it has declined somewhat since Amy left. I think that Update is at its best when it has two hosts.

Or Chevy Chase...

Why is it that Tina was never allowed to be the sole anchor despite being very successful on Update? Yet as soon as Amy leaves Seth becomes a solo anchor.

At the time, there was a general consensus that WU had gone stale and that a tandem of anchors might be the kick in the pants the segment needed.

At the time that Jimmy left? Or was it just a belief that existed four years earlier (thus resulting in the Jimmy/Tina pairing) and still remained four years later?

I generally like dual anchors and think that it was a mistake to not continue that when Amy left. I'm a fan of Seth's tenure on WU butI almost want to say put anyone in there with him. I do think it has hurt WU.

HelloStuart

[107]Apr 25, 2012
    mrjimmyjames wrote:

HelloStuart wrote:
    mrjimmyjames wrote:

avmon wrote:
    HelloStuart wrote:
    mrjimmyjames wrote:

JustinRAn wrote:

Or Chevy Chase...

At the time that Jimmy left? Or was it just a belief that existed four years earlier (thus resulting in the Jimmy/Tina pairing) and still remained four years later?

I generally like dual anchors and think that it was a mistake to not continue that when Amy left. I'm a fan of Seth's tenure on WU butI almost want to say put anyone in there with him. I do think it has hurt WU.

I was referring to Year 26, when Tina and Jimmy first became anchors. I suppose I misread that.

Ruckhappy

[108]Apr 29, 2012
    • level: 9

mrjimmyjames wrote:

I generally like dual anchors and think that it was a mistake to not continue that when Amy left. I'm a fan of Seth's tenure on WU but I almost want to say put anyone in there with him. I do think it has hurt WU.

Yes, the critical juncture was when Amy left and Seth was allowed (apparently) to decide to helm Update solo. Would that have been an obviously wrong decision at the time? No, Seth was popular on Update and Chevy, Dennis and Norm, some of the greatest Update anchors, had worked solo. I can see why Lorne would have felt he had to let his current Update anchor and head writer try it solo. The problem was that when it became evident that Seth was not another Chevy or Norm, say two seasons ago, Lorne didn't feel he could step in and say, "This is not working out."

HelloStuart

[109]Apr 29, 2012
    Ruckhappy wrote:

mrjimmyjames wrote:

I generally like dual anchors and think that it was a mistake to not continue that when Amy left. I'm a fan of Seth's tenure on WU but I almost want to say put anyone in there with him. I do think it has hurt WU.

Yes, the critical juncture was when Amy left and Seth was allowed (apparently) to decide to helm Update solo. Would that have been an obviously wrong decision at the time? No, Seth was popular on Update and Chevy, Dennis and Norm, some of the greatest Update anchors, had worked solo. I can see why Lorne would have felt he had to let his current Update anchor and head writer try it solo. The problem was that when it became evident that Seth was not another Chevy or Norm, say two seasons ago, Lorne didn't feel he could step in and say, "This is not working out."

That's probably because Lorne thinks it is working. Comedy is relative, and as far as I'm concerned Seth is doing just fine solo.

Ruckhappy

[110]May 20, 2012
    • level: 9

Looking back over my predictions, I was mostly wrong but...

Ruckhappy wrote:

SNL is always...about...the writing. Ultimately. And if Abby Elliott can't hack that, well, I'm sure she'll make a nice living playing wacky sidekicks in sitcoms for ten, fifteen years and then another ten or so playing funny moms.

Ha! Hit that one on the head. Sure, her role was immediately recast but she was cast in a pilot playing a funny mom this season. Sheer luck, of course. I will take credit for predicting months ago that Wiig was setting herself up for a gala exit from the show that would overshadow other departing cast (assuming that Andy and Jason are leaving as well).

JustinRAn

[111]May 21, 2012
    • level: 12
    Ruckhappy wrote:

Looking back over my predictions, I was mostly wrong but...

Ruckhappy wrote:

SNL is always...about...the writing. Ultimately. And if Abby Elliott can't hack that, well, I'm sure she'll make a nice living playing wacky sidekicks in sitcoms for ten, fifteen years and then another ten or so playing funny moms.

Ha! Hit that one on the head. Sure, her role was immediately recast but she was cast in a pilot playing a funny mom this season. Sheer luck, of course. I will take credit for predicting months ago that Wiig was setting herself up for a gala exit from the show that would overshadow other departing cast (assuming that Andy and Jason are leaving as well).

I'm not surprised her role was re-cast, I couldn't picture her playing a mom. I could picture Michaela Watkins playing a mom but not Abby.

drudager

[112]May 21, 2012
    • level: 13
    JustinRAn wrote:
    I'm not surprised her role was re-cast, I couldn't picture her playing a mom. I could picture Michaela Watkins playing a mom.

She already does on "New Girl".

drudager

[113]May 21, 2012
    • level: 13
    HelloStuart wrote:
    That's probably because Lorne thinks it is working. Comedy is relative, and as far as I'm concerned Seth is doing just fine solo.

Seth is a tad bit obnoxious & smug. Maybe he doesn't need to smirk as much or as blatantly as he does. He's not Katie Couric out there.