Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

Season 38 predictions.

warqueen

[1]May 19, 2012
    • level: 5

I believe we have seen the end of era, a major era. The changes I do beleive will be much deeper thanmost fans & watchers of the show realize at this time. Maybe the last major era of the show if Lorne and his crew don't play their cards rights in the rebuilding of the show by the fall.

The season premiere in September will definitily require 2 things: An A-list host. And a A-list muiscal guest. They need to start out with bang and with very high publicity.

They have always had all the various number of cast members, every one of them, no matter who got canned or left the show, that had the acting chops to be a potential star and be the best. What has been going wrong as of the late has been the half-arsed writing, especially the last 2 or 3 years. After the 94-95 season, Lorne fired 13 of the 17 writers on the show (along with every cast member except Tim Meadows & Mollly Shannon); and they had auditions across the country, beyond the usualsketch groupsgrounds. For the last cast member position, it came down between Will Ferrel and Steve Carrell. And we all know got chosen. Plus Jimmy Fallon audition at that same time in 95, aand got tunred down, but Lorne gave JF key advice on what he needed to improve, and tried again 3 years later and got success.

So to sum it up: We are at the corner door of another key chapter in the massive rich history of "Saturday Night Live".

Everybody thoughts on the upcoming 2012-2013 season? (thats considering if were still all here after a certain upcoming much herald winter equinox date!):

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

drudager

[2]May 20, 2012
    • level: 13
    What's with the bold type? Do you have a deep, husky cigarette voice?

The season premiere will be a farce because it always is, it's the SECOND show I'm really curious about. Fred, Seth & Kenan are getting really long in the tooth & honestly I don't know how much more of them I can take. They're definitely going to have to add at least 2 or 3 more new cast members; season 20 be damned. I would most definitely would want to see a new WU anchor or two with Nasim at least one of them, tho I doubt she would be content just being an anchorwoman. Cripes, it could be Abby. Or we may have to pry it out of Seth's cold dead smirk & girly hands.

furiousfunk

[3]May 20, 2012
    • level: 13
    I'd like to see Seth out of the WU chair, he's better now after a few years but he's in the Charles Rockett level of Anchormen. Nasim is super sexy for soloing the news, I think her and Abby together would be hot and fun. It'd bring back some of Tina Fey's mojo. I'm shocked more didn't leave this year, I figured Sudekis would leave but he's probably wanting to hold on to the Mitt Romney character. Kenan needs a sitcom and Samberg & Hader both are doing movies, I figured they'd leave for the big money. I wish they'd find more things for Jay Pharoah, how could they pass up Will Smith punching a dude for trying to kiss him when they have Jay Pharoah sitting right there? Was he even in the show last night?
    I figure Kristen will come back a lot for cameos and maybe host next season when her next movie comes out. Expect a Justin Timberlake, Jon Hamm, Tom Hanks, Steve Martin, Alec Baldwyn, Will Ferrell, Tina Fey barrage of hosts as movies come out and 30 Rock ends. I hope they can bring in some new talent, not fond of the woman they added a few weeks ago, she's like a Melanie Hutsel leftover.

JustinRAn

[4]May 20, 2012
    • level: 12
    Guesses:

- Blake Lively (Gossip Girls final season)
    - Tina Fey, Tracy Morgan, Alec Baldwin (30 Rocks final season)
    - Kat Dennings (2 Broke Girls)
    - Neil Patrick Harris (HIMYM's final season)
    - Ashton Kutcher (2 and a Half Men)
    - Someone from Community
    - Katherine McPhee (Smash)
    - Tim Allen (Last Man Standing)
    - Justin Beiber (Said he was going to host this year)
    - Christina Applegate (Up All Night)
    - Cheryl Hines, Jane Levy (Suburgatory)
    - Anne Hathaway (The Dark Knight Rises)
    - Terry Crews (Expendables 2)
    - Liam Neeson (Taken 2)
    - Ben Affleck (Argo)
    - Kristen Stewart (Twilight Breaking Dawn 2)

JustinRAn

[6]May 20, 2012
    rishabhpb wrote:
    Well, I hope that they unearth and hire someone with a Ferrell-ish stage presence this summer.

They're gonna need to hire 1-2 male cast members. Plus since SNL is no longer a "Boys Club", It's going to be very interesting to see if that remains true next season. Also, None of the girls really have any recurring characters. Bedilla, J-Pop Girl, (Dictator)'s friend from growing up, and Translator are about it.

Good luck SNL next year, I've been warning you for awhile, but good luck.

thecomedianky

[7]May 20, 2012
    • level: 19
    I'm not going to bother speculating what will happen between now and then. We knew this was going to happen. 6-7 seasons tends to be the average.

Ruckhappy

[8]May 20, 2012
    • level: 8

'94 is almost twenty years ago. And, more importantly, Lorne is almost 20 years older. I really don't see him taking the show through another major restructuring unless it's under pressure from NBC. Lorne's gotten very comfortable working in his "gradual renewal" system of running the show and he's going stick with that, even if it's not working.

I see them bringing in at least three new bodies, even if Jason or Andy don't leave the show. All the featured players except Kate will be promoted (assuming that Jay isn't cut), so they'll need new kids to populate the bullpen. Seth will be back at the desk for Update if only because they haven't got anybody with which to replace him.

This has to be the final season for Fred and Kenan. Even if they find three really stellar new players to hire Lorne will still be behind the curve in terms of restocking the cast. With Fred, Kenan, Abby and Jay they have too many cast slots filled with performers with limited productivity and either plateu'd or questionable growth potential. Given what we know of the SNL cast salary system, Kenan and Fred alone probably make as much as three new players would.

Ruckhappy

[9]May 20, 2012

I would also be on the lookout for departures in the writing staff. A couple of the writers have film deals in development. I would expect (although not applaud) that John Mulaney will be promoted to co-head writer with Seth. Erik Kenward keeps piling up production credits, so I'm wondering if he's becoming another Higgins writer/producer type on the show, with a say in casting and such. Hopefully, they won't lose any more of the young writers as has been happening the last couple of seasons.

They usually do their summer audition sweep in mid-June, IIRC. They haven't hired anyone out of The Groundlings since Nasim, so they might take a harder look there. I doubt they'll cast another stand-up comedian without improv experience unless they're looking for someone who can replace Seth eventually. I'll be curious to see who they send out to scout talent this summer, because I was surprised to see that they sent Higgins on the road for the winter auditions. Any new faces in the audition teams would be a sign of who is climbing the internal ladder at SNL.

HelloStuart

[10]May 20, 2012
    • level: 63
    warqueen wrote:

The season premiere in September will definitily require two things: An A-list host. And a A-list musical guest. They need to start out with bang and with very high publicity.

No offense Queenie, but you're stating the obvious there.

Secondly, you make it sound like SNL will be unable to weather Wiigy's departure. Cast members big and small have always come and gone --or more recently, just come-- but the storm will pass. The first few shows next season will be awkward, but eventually the cast and writers will find their footing again.

Also, if I dare make a prediction about next year's roster (not counting one or two potential newbies):

REPERTORY
    Vanessa Bayer
    Abby Elliott
    Bill Hader
    Taran Killam
    Seth Meyers
    Bobby Moynihan
    Nasim Pedrad
    Jay Pharaoh
    Jason Sudeikis
    Kenan Thompson

FEATURED
    Kate McKinnon

HelloStuart

[11]May 20, 2012
    Also, before anyone asks: yes, I am going on a limb and predicting Army is leaving and Suds isn't.

Ruckhappy

[13]May 21, 2012

HelloStuart wrote:
    Also, before anyone asks: yes, I am going on a limb and predicting Army is leaving and Suds isn't.

Fifty bucks sez you're wrong about Fred...and I offer that with trepidation, knowing that you have insider info.

Ruckhappy

[14]May 21, 2012

rishabhpb wrote:
    Jay won't be cut because he has to play Obama for another four years!

Well, they need someone to play Obama for another four years, unless the price of gas reaches six bucks a gallon.

I have to think--and I'm repeating myself here, I know--that they will be looking hard for a good black sketch/improv guy who can do a diamond-sharp Obama during the summer auditions. Ideally, that guy could otherwise replace Kenan and then Lorne would have three Obama options from which to choose.

HelloStuart

[15]May 21, 2012
    Ruckhappy wrote:

rishabhpb wrote:

Well, they need someone to play Obama for another four years, unless the price of gas reaches six bucks a gallon.

Right, because the president controls gas prices, and it has absolutely nothing to do with politics in the Middle East. Alas, most people make that assumption anyway.

Has anyone ever seen Jay imitate Obama? I'd rather see proof before we vilify Fred's Barry further.

JustinRAn

[16]May 21, 2012
    Here ya go:

Fast forward to 6:00
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nv2a9i48aWU

avmon

[18]May 22, 2012
    • level: 16
    HelloStuart wrote:
    Ruckhappy wrote:

rishabhpb wrote:

Right, because the president controls gas prices, and it has absolutely nothing to do with politics in the Middle East. Alas, most people make that assumption anyway.

Has anyone ever seen Jay imitate Obama? I'd rather see proof before we vilify Fred's Barry further.
    I saw him do it on Letterman, but that was two years ago...

JustinRAn

[19]May 22, 2012
    REPERTORY
    - Vanessa Bayer
    - Abby Elliott
    - Bill Hader
    - Taran Killam
    - Seth Meyers
    - Bobby Moynihan
    - Nasim Pedrad
    - Jay Pharaoh
    - Kenan Thompson

FEATURED
    - Kate McKinnon
    - Unknown Guy
    - Unknown Guy
    - Unknown Woman

Fired/ Left
    - Fred Armisen
    - Andy Samberg
    - Jason Sudeikis
    - Kristen Wiig

HelloStuart

[20]May 22, 2012
    JustinRAn wrote:

Fired/ Left
    - Fred Armisen
    - Andy Samberg
    - Jason Sudeikis
    - Kristen Wiig

Nobody is getting "fired," Justin. I've stressed that before. Barring some public scandal or bad PR, tenured cast members almost always leave on their own terms.

HelloStuart

[21]May 22, 2012

This complicates matters:

http://m.usatoday.com/article/life/699150

JustinRAn

[22]May 22, 2012
    HelloStuart wrote:
    JustinRAn wrote:

Fired/ Left
    - Fred Armisen
    - Andy Samberg
    - Jason Sudeikis
    - Kristen Wiig

Nobody is getting "fired," Justin. I've stressed that before. Barring some public scandal or bad PR, tenured cast members almost always leave on their own terms.

Fine. List of Castmembers who "Leaves on their own term"

HelloStuart

[24]May 22, 2012
    rishabhpb wrote:
    HelloStuart wrote:
    JustinRAn wrote:

Fired/ Left
    - Fred Armisen
    - Andy Samberg
    - Jason Sudeikis
    - Kristen Wiig

Except Parnell (twice) and Horatio!

Hence the "almost." And in that case, NBC pushed Lorne to cut the show's budget.