Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

Season 38 predictions.

HelloStuart

[71]Jul 9, 2012
    • level: 63
    drudager wrote:
    mrjimmyjames wrote:

I've always wondered how Seth might leave the show considering he's not your average cast member. He was never exactly going to leave for a big film career but hosting Live! could be the most unusual departure for a cast member.

I don't think it's THAT unusual. Ex-writer & extra Conan O'Brien & that mediocre Jimmy Fallon both have talk shows. What irks me if that Seth's ego is so big that he has to do two shows at once; and both shows are live, too. Good luck working at 10am & midnight into your sleep routine. Time to leave, Seth. Everybody has to leave some time & you're no exception. *cue to clip of Seth clenching to the WU desk screaming while somebody off-camera is trying to pull him off it*

Also, Martin Short hosted a daytime talk show in 1999-00.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Ruckhappy

[73]Jul 10, 2012
    • level: 8

Hardly. Read the quote carefully for spin-waffling: " But, right now, what I would say to you: I'm really in love with the job I have." Well "right now" they haven't offered him the co-hosting job yet. When they do, it'll be, "I love SNL but this is an opportunity that I can't pass up..."

Also, he wants to maximize his negotiating position by emphasizing that he doesn't need to take the Live job (because he can continue on SNL.) Seth probably wants a say in how the show is run. Smart talk show hosts do, because the show has to fit the host in order to really work. Look at how they've tuned Late Night to fit Jimmy's style and personality. The producers of Live probably want to hire Seth as trained-seal talent, and he's pushing back on that.

He'll take it if it's offered. He'd be a fool not to.

drudager

[75]Jul 11, 2012
    • level: 13
    rishabhpb wrote:

Well, that's the end of the speculation. Seth is staying. http://splitsider.com/2012/07/seth-meyers-thoroughly-shoots-down-regis-replacement-rumors/

Translation:

Apparently they didn't love Seth as much as Seth loves himself.

Ruckhappy

[77]Jul 12, 2012

rishabhpb wrote:
    I'm taking this out of context (just like the media), but Kelly said last night on LNJF that Seth isn't ready for it. Either everyone's gearing up to spring a surprise or it really isn't happening.

That's a weird thing to say. The producers of a show like Live wouldn't have put so much airtime into road-testing Seth as a host unless they had strong assurances from him and his agent that Seth would take the job if it were offered. I can see two scenarios behind this:

--They've offered Seth the co-host chair but he's holding out for a better deal. Thus Seth's denial ("I couldn't possibly leave SNL, I love it so much") translates as, "I have options and Strahan and Groban are jokes: give me the deal I want." Kelly, fronting for the show, is responding, "We love you, but not that much. We can keep looking for a co-host, plus I am going to be the queen of the roost on Live, not you."

--They've already made a deal but Lorne, always wanting to control SNL casting announcements, is asking them to wait. Possibly he still has some contractual leverage. So Seth and the team at Live are playing down expectations until everyone is ready to make the formal announcement.

Ruckhappy

[78]Jul 12, 2012

You made me go watch the Ripa interview. She's busting Seth's chops when she says that he's not ready to host Live. She's not serious. Maybe Seth's not ready to work with her though. Can you imagine getting really early every morning just to listen to her jabber?

Ruckhappy

[80]Jul 15, 2012

It's halfway through July and no news about Jason leaving. Only one starring role in pre-production according to IMDB. I'd say the chances are 75%+ that he's coming back for another full season.

HelloStuart

[81]Jul 15, 2012
    Ruckhappy wrote:

It's halfway through July and no news about Jason leaving. Only one starring role in pre-production according to IMDB. I'd say the chances are 75%+ that he's coming back for another full season.

I would agree. Also, I'd put the over/under on new featured players at +/- 1.

Ruckhappy

[82]Jul 15, 2012

Really? That low? I was expecting at least that they'd add at least another two bodies, in addition to Kate. If they're not even going to hire someone to replace Andy (counting Kate as Kristen's replacement), why even bother to hold auditions this summer?

Someone at NBC needs to realize that the casting policies of Lorne and the network are in dysfunctional conflict. You can't maintain a strict one-for-one casting policy to replace departing cast if you don't also have a policy of pruning veteran cast with waning productivity. You'll inevitably end up in a reverse-Darwinian death spiral in which your cast is clogged up with fading vets with no other career options.

HelloStuart

[83]Jul 16, 2012
    Ruckhappy wrote:

Really? That low? I was expecting at least that they'd add at least another two bodies, in addition to Kate. If they're not even going to hire someone to replace Andy (counting Kate as Kristen's replacement), why even bother to hold auditions this summer?

Yes, that low. At the end of last season, there were 14 cast members. The show doesn't need 20.

Also, auditions are held every year (sometimes twice a year) regardless. Regardless of cast additions, new staff writers are culled from the auditions, too.

Ruckhappy

[84]Aug 13, 2012

Given the dearth of news about casting...I'm now inclined to agree that they'll only add one more new person to the cast this coming season.

JustinRAn

[85]Aug 13, 2012
    • level: 12
    I think they'll wait to see if Sudeikis leaves the show and then add 2 guys to replace him/ Andy.

Will be an interesting season to see how SNL is no longer a boys club with Abby, Nasim, Vanessa, and Kate having to pick up the slack from Wiig.

Psy4potato

[86]Aug 15, 2012
    • level: 10

http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/08/14/emmys-snl-bill-hader/

According to this interview with Bill Hader he confirms that Taran, Vanessa, Fred, Kenan, Jay, & Bobby are back.

So that leave Abby, Kate, Nasim, & Jason up in the air.

Not gonna lie...I would feel a lot better if I knew that Kate was safe...I really hope she doesn't get cut way before her prime like Jenny Slate. I am excited to see Vanessa is back...at least that what I got from Bill's comment.

JustinRAn

[87]Aug 15, 2012
    • level: 12
    What I got from the interview is that Jay, Kenan, Fred, and Bobby would be back.

I'm sure they're coming back, But that wasn't really an announcement for Taran and Vanessa. Wouldn't it be funny if Taran, Vanessa, Abby, Kate, and Nasim all left the show before the beginning of the season? SNL would be SOL.

HelloStuart

[88]Aug 15, 2012
    Ruckhappy wrote:

Given the dearth of news about casting...I'm now inclined to agree that they'll only add one more new person to the cast this coming season.

With today's Abby news, I'm raising my over/under to +/- 2.

HelloStuart

[89]Aug 15, 2012
    My revised prediction for the Year 38 lineup:

Repertory:
    Fred Armisen
    Vanessa Bayer
    Bill Hader
    Taran Killam
    Seth Meyers
    Bobby Moynihan
    Nasim Pedrad
    Jay Pharaoh
    Kenan Thompson

Featured:
    Kate McKinnon
    *TBD actor*
    *TBD actress*

I fully realize Suds is still "undecided," but I'm not optimistic at this point. Also, if this our cast next month, this will mark the first time the show has had three cast members with ten seasons' experience or more. This also leaves us with exactly five cast members from four years ago.

Ruckhappy

[90]Aug 15, 2012
    In hindsight, Stu, back when you were so certain that Abby was going to be let go, Lorne probably would have fired her at that point if he had not been so short on experienced women in the cast. Last summer it was pretty clear that Abby would never become a success on SNL. So her surviving for a fourth season was kind of a fluke.

Psy4potato

[91]Aug 15, 2012
    HelloStuart wrote:
    My revised prediction for the Year 38 lineup:

Repertory:
    Fred Armisen
    Vanessa Bayer
    Bill Hader
    Taran Killam
    Seth Meyers
    Bobby Moynihan
    Nasim Pedrad
    Jay Pharaoh
    Kenan Thompson

Featured:
    Kate McKinnon
    *TBD actor*
    *TBD actress*

I fully realize Suds is still "undecided," but I'm not optimistic at this point. Also, if this our cast next month, this will mark the first time the show has had three cast members with ten seasons' experience or more. This also leaves us with exactly five cast members from four years ago.

I really really hope that is true...your line up. Abby never really stood out, but I did enjoy her. I really hope Kate is back...I would love to see more of her!

Psy4potato

[92]Aug 16, 2012

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Abby-Elliott-Leaving-SNL-1051981.aspx?rss=news&partnerid=spi&profileid=05

Is this anything official? This site has Nasim & Kate as returning! Which I really hope is true! But this also doesn't seem like an official announcement for them either.

Ruckhappy

[94]Aug 16, 2012

Of course Nasim is returning. With Wiig gone and now Abby leaving, nothing could pry Nasim away from SNL short of the Spanish Inquisition.

As to Kate, when was the last time they cut someone loose after a short tryout? Fred Wolf? Even Jerry Minor and Riggle got full seasons.