Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

Season 38 predictions.

HelloStuart

[95]Aug 18, 2012
    • level: 63
    Ruckhappy wrote:

Of course Nasim is returning. With Wiig gone and now Abby leaving, nothing could pry Nasim away from SNL short of the Spanish Inquisition.

As to Kate, when was the last time they cut someone loose after a short tryout? Fred Wolf? Even Jerry Minor and Riggle got full seasons.

I don't see why you're so worried, Potato. The intent of adding Kate to the cast late last year, as opposed to the beginning of Year 38, was to ease the transition.

Also Ruck, don't forget Morwenna Banks.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

HelloStuart

[96]Aug 18, 2012
    Ruckhappy wrote:
    In hindsight, Stu, back when you were so certain that Abby was going to be let go, Lorne probably would have fired her at that point if he had not been so short on experienced women in the cast. Last summer it was pretty clear that Abby would never become a success on SNL. So her surviving for a fourth season was kind of a fluke.

In other words, Abby was the white Ellen Cleghorne.

Chances are, what happened was AE and her agent were trying to persuade Lorne to somehow guarantee her more screen time, and he didn't want to play favorites.

I can't say I've seen much of Abby's work outside of the show, but unless the implication of nepotism is accurate, she'll probably thrive elsewhere.

mrjimmyjames

[97]Aug 19, 2012
    • level: 7

I think Lorne's been dying to get rid of Abby for a long time but never felt confident enough in his female cast to make the move until now for some reason. I find it ironic considering her Zooey Deschanel impressions finally seemed to be making her relevant on the show.

HelloStuart

[98]Aug 19, 2012
    mrjimmyjames wrote:

I think Lorne's been dying to get rid of Abby for a long time but never felt confident enough in his female cast to make the move until now for some reason. I find it ironic considering her Zooey Deschanel impressions finally seemed to be making her relevant on the show.

Or just convenient, take your pick.

JustinRAn

[99]Aug 19, 2012
    • level: 12
    The fact that SNL has hired/fired 7 women in 5 years shows the kind of casting ability he has nowadays:

Hired
    - Casey Wilson
    - Michaela Watkins
    - Abby Elliott
    - Nasim Pedrad
    - Jenny Slate
    - Vanessa Bayer
    - Kate McKinnon

Left/ FIred
    - Maya Rudolph
    - Amy Poehler
    - Casey Wilson
    - Michaela Watkins
    - Jenny Slate
    - Kristen Wiig
    - Abby Elliott

Ruckhappy

[100]Aug 19, 2012
    • level: 9

Well, he didn't have any choice about Maya, Amy and Kristen leaving. But otherwise you're right, and it's becoming so obvious that many people are questioning Lorne's ability to handle casting decisions.

The million-dollar question is, how much of the credit and blame can be directly attributed to Lorne? Did Seth and/or other senior writer/producer types have a say in Casey and Michaela getting canned? Those guys have a lot of say in who gets hired, after all.

HelloStuart

[101]Aug 19, 2012
    Ruckhappy wrote:

Well, he didn't have any choice about Maya, Amy and Kristen leaving. But otherwise you're right, and it's becoming so obvious that many people are questioning Lorne's ability to handle casting decisions.

The million-dollar question is, how much of the credit and blame can be directly attributed to Lorne? Did Seth and/or other senior writer/producer types have a say in Casey and Michaela getting canned? Those guys have a lot of say in who gets hired, after all.

It's a collaborative effort by all the producers. Scouts are appointed and travel to LA and Chicago.

The revolving door of women in recent years could be due to general frustration. There is an apparent system to getting a sketch on-air.

Psy4potato

[102]Aug 19, 2012
    • level: 10

HelloStuart wrote:
    Ruckhappy wrote:

Of course Nasim is returning. With Wiig gone and now Abby leaving, nothing could pry Nasim away from SNL short of the Spanish Inquisition.

As to Kate, when was the last time they cut someone loose after a short tryout? Fred Wolf? Even Jerry Minor and Riggle got full seasons.

I don't see why you're so worried, Potato. The intent of adding Kate to the cast late last year, as opposed to the beginning of Year 38, was to ease the transition. Also Ruck, don't forget Morwenna Banks.

I get worried because I see the same qualities in Kate as I did in Jenny Slate and Jenny was let go after her one season when imo she was the strongest female on the show after Kristen Wiig.

What are the chances of them realizing their mistake and bringing Jenny back full time next season (this is rhetorical, I realize this will never happen lol)

Pulch23

[103]Aug 20, 2012

Psy4potato wrote:
    and Jenny was let go after her one season when imo she was the strongest female on the show after Kristen Wiig.

Foot in mouthI doubt anybody would have said that when she was on the show.

JustinRAn

[104]Aug 20, 2012
    • level: 12
    Speaking of Jenny Slate, I always wonder what would've happened if Wiig had dropped the F-Bomb instead of Jenny Slate?

HelloStuart

[106]Aug 20, 2012
    rishabhpb wrote:
    JustinRAn wrote:
    Speaking of Jenny Slate, I always wonder what would've happened if Wiig had dropped the F-Bomb instead of Jenny Slate?

Nothing, obviously. The live cuss may have affected Jenny in some way since she was a newbie, but she definitely wasn't fired over it.

Exactly. It was a mistake, but nothing to dwell upon.

HelloStuart

[107]Aug 20, 2012
    Psy4potato wrote:

HelloStuart wrote:
    Ruckhappy wrote:

I don't see why you're so worried, Potato. The intent of adding Kate to the cast late last year, as opposed to the beginning of Year 38, was to ease the transition. Also Ruck, don't forget Morwenna Banks.

I get worried because I see the same qualities in Kate as I did in Jenny Slate and Jenny was let go after her one season when imo she was the strongest female on the show after Kristen Wiig.

What are the chances of them realizing their mistake and bringing Jenny back full time next season (this is rhetorical, I realize this will never happen lol)

In a just world, Siobhan Fallon would've been on the show for three years, not Melanie Hutsell.

Ruckhappy

[108]Aug 20, 2012

HelloStuart wrote:
    In a just world, Siobhan Fallon would've been on the show for three years, not Melanie Hutsell.

My secret shame: I sorta liked Hutsell. Fallon was more versatile and should have been on the show longer than Melanie though.

Ruckhappy

[109]Aug 20, 2012

HelloStuart wrote:
    It's a collaborative effort by all the producers. Scouts are appointed and travel to LA and Chicago. The revolving door of women in recent years could be due to general frustration. There is an apparent system to getting a sketch on-air.

I know that the hiring process is a collaborative one, but is the firing one as well? Because the mistakes have been in who's been let go. My impression is that Lorne makes the cuts to the cast by his ownself. Tina Fey, for one, has talked about being in on the hiring loop as head writer, but speaks of the firing decisions being done closed-door by Lorne.

Edited on 08/20/2012 10:35am

mrjimmyjames

[110]Aug 20, 2012

Pulch23 wrote:

Psy4potato wrote:
    and Jenny was let go after her one season when imo she was the strongest female on the show after Kristen Wiig.

From what I remember she was pretty much nonexistent that entire season. I can see why she was dropped.

HelloStuart

[111]Aug 20, 2012
    Ruckhappy wrote:

HelloStuart wrote:
    It's a collaborative effort by all the producers. Scouts are appointed and travel to LA and Chicago. The revolving door of women in recent years could be due to general frustration. There is an apparent system to getting a sketch on-air.

I know that the hiring process is a collaborative one, but is the firing one as well? Because the mistakes have been in who's been let go. My impression is that Lorne makes the cuts to the cast by his ownself. Tina Fey, for one, has talked about being in on the hiring loop as head writer, but speaks of the firing decisions being done closed-door by Lorne.

During the Ebersol era, dismissals were held by committee, too. Or so says Nate Herman.

Ruckhappy

[112]Aug 20, 2012

Commenting on this news here:

"The season premiere has been set for September 15th. Still no word yet on guests."

That likely means a final cast announcement this week or the next. OK, I'm in the mood for a wild prediction. Here it is:

--Sudeikis returns and is named co-host of Update with Seth.

--Jason is also promoted to be head writer.

--Sarah Schneider and John Mulaney are promoted from the writing staff to be featured players.

--In a surprise announcement, after these casting changes are made public, Seth is named co-host of Live! after all.

Oh, and obviously Taran, Vanessa and Jay get kicked up to repertory.

Edited on 08/20/2012 8:22pm

Ruckhappy

[114]Aug 20, 2012

Oops, I worded the prediction incorrectly. It will not be announced that Jason has been promoted to head writer and will be co-hosting Update until after it's announced that Seth will be taking the hosting job with Live. My thinking being:

--Jason wants some kind of bump to stick around.

--If Seth takes the Live job, he will have to give up the head writer job, and Jason has the writing experience to lay claim to it.

--Seth may think that he can handle both Update and doing Live, but Lorne may not agree and if Seth is half-leaving then Lorne may care more about getting Jason to commit for another season. Plus Seth will need a co-host for the two Thursday specials.

--If The Tonight Show is any sign, NBC may be cutting budgets for late night shows. Promoting writers to cast is a cheap way to add bodies, plus you get new cast who already know how the show works and can write.

--Mulaney gets promoted to cast as a consolation for being passed over as head writer.

--Schneider replaces Abby kinda one-for-one, as another cute, energetic woman performer, only more net-humor savvy and obviously better writing skills.

--Mulaney and Schneider will seem like new cast to SNL viewers, so with Kate it'll feel like three new people, but they actually each come with their own fan base from their outside performing work.

Needless to say, this whole scenario collapses if Seth doesn't get the Live job after all.

rishabhpb wrote:

I don't think either of them has any range (Sarah definitely doesn't) but I'd love to see it anyway.

I didn't say that I liked the idea. It's just a prediction.

HelloStuart

[115]Aug 22, 2012
    Ruckhappy wrote:

Commenting on this news here:

"The season premiere has been set for September 15th. Still no word yet on guests."

That likely means a final cast announcement this week or the next. OK, I'm in the mood for a wild prediction. Here it is:

--Sudeikis returns and is named co-host of Update with Seth.

--Jason is also promoted to be head writer.

--Sarah Schneider and John Mulaney are promoted from the writing staff to be featured players.

--In a surprise announcement, after these casting changes are made public, Seth is named co-host of Live! after all.

Oh, and obviously Taran, Vanessa and Jay get kicked up to repertory.

That last one is without a doubt. However, Michael Strahan was officially chosen to replace Regis.

The early premiere date accommodates the two prime-time specials in early October. To my knowledge, there will be no schedule overlap between the live 90-minute show and WUT. It'll be like having 24 episodes this year.

Psy4potato

[116]Aug 22, 2012
    • level: 10

mrjimmyjames wrote:

Pulch23 wrote:

Psy4potato wrote:

From what I remember she was pretty much nonexistent that entire season. I can see why she was dropped.

I thought while watching her season she was present, and still can't see why she was dropped over the others. But I digress from this thread.

I hope Jason comes back, even if it's for a half of season, he is always on, and always seems to be giving 100%