Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

Season 39 Predictions

Ruckhappy

[1]May 7, 2013
    • level: 9

Only two shows left so it's time for predictions about next season.

Cast departures: I gave my long list in the Ben Affleck show thread. I'm guessing that Nasim, Jason, Seth and Fred will leave, in that order of likelihood.

Cast adds: I think they will cut a cast slot due to budgetary pressures. With the talent in their current batting order they can lose four vets and add only three scrubs without a loss of quality. I'm guessing they won't go out of their way to replace Nasim with another woman unless they see someone really good during the summer auditions. They can afford to pick the best available talent this off-season, so guessing by type/need is out. They may hire two Latinas and an Asian guy if those are the funniest people they audition.

Writing staff: I think 4-8 staff writers will leave with Seth. Yes, perhaps as many as eight. This staff has done a remarkably poor job of gelling with the newer cast, and it's too top-heavy with senior writers. Lorne hasn't brought in an outsider as head writer since the '95 revamp, but it's time for another such housecleaning. They're also woefully short on women writers considering the number of women in the cast. If Colin Jost is promoted to head writer and only the likes of Bryan Tucker and and Erik Kenward leave, that's a bad sign. The future of the show for the next five years will be determined by the degree of new blood they bring into the writers' room over the summer.

Hosting and production choices: In hindsight, making such a strong commitment to staging original sketch material and booking so many rookie hosts (Foxx and Applegate were effectively rooks) at the start of this season was too much for the show to bear. They just didn't have the horses in the writing staff to make a go of it. And they won't next season either, at first. They'll either have new, untested blood or the same grassed-out nags. In the former case (which is what we'd like to see), just salt in a Poehler or Hamm for every Bruno Mars or Jeremy Renner next fall and things should go a little smoother.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

jcav422

[2]May 8, 2013
    • level: 2

I really hope this season is a refresher from a dull Season 38. 38 had too many obscure hosting choices (Applegate, Mars, Short, Levine, Bieber, Hart). Justin Bieber's episode was a forgettable 90 minute commercial for his Believe Acoustic album. Jennifer Lawrence, Louis CK, and Vince Vaughn gave us hope in such great hosting choices, but fell flat due to terrible writing and sketches.The returns of JGL, Anne Hathaway, and Jamie Foxx weren't too stellar. We had action stars fail and give us two of the worst episodes of the season: Craig and Renner. Towards the end, we had decent returns from JT, Zach G, Melissa McCarthy. We had great performances from Christoph Waltz and Seth MacFarlane, who need to return more often. To top it off, we have the almost too-quick return of Kristen Wiig and a terribly delayed return of Ben Affleck. The fact that so many people are looking towards Wiig to be the highlight of the season basically states how bad this season was. Overall, a very sloppy and messy season.

As for Season 39, I'm expecting new writers, several new cast members, and more familiar hosts. I'd expect to see Baldwin, Stone, McCarthy, Fey, Poehler, etc. The newer hosts just really didn't cut it this season . I also hope for Beyonce to pull double duty for the season premiere. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if there's tons of new character ideas that end up being recurring this year, especially for Kate and Cecily. Hopefully Fred is gone. I would also love to FINALLY see a new Update anchor, but 39 might be Seth's last. Also, I would love a new opening montage, this season's was terrible and reminded me of MADtv.

Edited on 05/08/2013 10:03am

HelloStuart

[3]May 10, 2013
    • level: 63
    Wow, you guys are vicious. Season 38 was uneven --especially in the second half of the season-- but I doubt the producers are making any drastic changes. There is nothing that suggests an overhaul is looming.

First of all, there's always turnover on the writing staff. The history of SNL is littered with guys that only stuck around for a year, if that. I don't expect a mass exodus, maybe three or four scribes heading to greener pastures with just as much new talent coming in. As for the cast, all bets are off. We've been pushing Seth, Army, and Kenan out the door in our minds for so long now that I'm tired of weighing the option. Granted, there have never been so many ten-year cast members on the show at one time, and they're the most obvious picks for greener pastures, but all three men seem to like the groove they're in right now. As far as cast members with a likelihood of leaving, my most educated guess would be Suds.

The X factor here is John Mulaney's sitcom. Buzz is very positive and the pilot shoot went very well, so the ball is in NBC's court. SNL could lose John and Nasim, but again it's all speculation.

Ruckhappy

[4]May 11, 2013

And NBC has apparently punted Mulaney's show. I'm still waiting to see it confirmed by reliable sources. I don't think it makes any difference in terms of cast predictions...yet, other than that Nasim will be coming back.

Stu, I'm brutal in my evaluations of the writing because I've been a professional writer going on thirty years. There is nothing so unproductive on this planet as a complacent writer, and there is no such thing as a writer who has been doing the same "job" for more than five years without getting complacent. You're confusing their overall writer churn rate with how many recently-hired writers they're losing. That's a BAD thing. The last thing you want is a writing staff with a bunch of sclerotic greybeards long empty of new ideas.

"I don't expect a mass exodus." Well, if there's a significant changeover in the senior writing management (i.e., if Seth and Colin Jost leave), four senior writers leaving would be a typical consequence. Add in a couple of writers who get a "quit or be fired" memo and you have a serious revamp of the staff. Six leaving wouldn't be a bloodbath, and yet it would clear out a lot of dead wood. The plain fact is that half the writing staff apparently can't write for two-thirds of the cast, and there's no indication they want to try. They are welcome to peddle their japes elsewhere. Meanwhile, next season, the mantra of the staff will be, "Can you write for Taran, Cecily and Kate?"

JustinRAn

[5]May 11, 2013
    • level: 12
    Since Mulaney's show isn't going to air, Hopefully he can come back to writing full time for SNL.

OR OR OR Maybe Mulaney is in the running to host Late Night (Just a Wish)

Ruckhappy

[6]May 11, 2013

JustinRAn wrote:

You have to assume that Seth is the top pick for Late Night, since he's proven he can host a yakker. But you raise an interesting possibility.

I think there's a chance Mulaney won't come back to SNL now that he's had so much preliminary success outside the show. He's presumably still under contract to NBC a while yet as part of his pilot deal. The West Coast NBC talent execs might want to add him to another NBC sitcom as co-star, or he could just kick around guest-starring on various shows. Plus there's the fecund SNL alumni mafia in LA via which he could get a lot of work.

mrjimmyjames

[7]May 11, 2013
    • level: 7

Ruckhappy wrote:

JustinRAn wrote:

You have to assume that Seth is the top pick for Late Night, since he's proven he can host a yakker. But you raise an interesting possibility.

I think there's a chance Mulaney won't come back to SNL now that he's had so much preliminary success outside the show. He's presumably still under contract to NBC a while yet as part of his pilot deal. The West Coast NBC talent execs might want to add him to another NBC sitcom as co-star, or he could just kick around guest-starring on various shows. Plus there's the fecund SNL alumni mafia in LA via which he could get a lot of work.

Or he could take over WU from Seth.

JustinRAn

[8]May 12, 2013
    I wouldn't mind some more Mulaney Comedy. Sadly, No more Stefan.

HelloStuart

[9]May 12, 2013
    JustinRAn wrote:
    I wouldn't mind some more Mulaney Comedy. Sadly, no more Stefan.

Not necessarily.

Ruckhappy

[10]May 12, 2013

HelloStuart wrote:
    JustinRAn wrote:
    Not necessarily.

'Zackly. Monologue bits that require no blocking or host involvement are easy-peasy to write up remotely. If Seth leaves, Mulaney would need to rejigger the repartee with the Update anchor, but that's not a problem. I think that bit should have stayed retired, but Stu is correct as to the technicalities.

HelloStuart

[11]May 12, 2013
    Ruckhappy wrote:

HelloStuart wrote:
    JustinRAn wrote:
    Not necessarily.

'Zackly. Monologue bits that require no blocking or host involvement are easy-peasy to write up remotely. If Seth leaves, Mulaney would need to rejigger the repartee with the Update anchor, but that's not a problem. I think that bit should have stayed retired, but Stu is correct as to the technicalities.

Thank you.

Now that "Late Night with Seth Meyers" is official, one must wonder when Seth will leave SNL. Immediately after the season is over, or midway through Year 39?

mrjimmyjames

[12]May 12, 2013

HelloStuart wrote:
    Ruckhappy wrote:

HelloStuart wrote:
    JustinRAn wrote:
    Not necessarily.

Thank you. Now that "Late Night with Seth Meyers" is official, one must wonder when Seth will leave SNL. Immediately after the season is over, or midway through Year 39?

He will officially leave midway through next season.

Ruckhappy

[13]May 13, 2013
    Don't believe it. There are a host of practical reasons why Seth sticking around SNL into this coming fall would be impractical. I'm more interested in who Seth will be taking with him from SNL to Late Night.

Speaking of which...Stu, young Jedi, I do hope you realize that this summer may be the greatest opportunity for getting hired into LorneCo. ever. The new Tonight Show will be looking to staff up, and the revamped Late Night as well. They're going to drain bodies from SNL inevitably. I'm sure you'd prefer a plum cast or writing job, but do not turn your nose up at a good spear-carrier gig that gets your foot in the door at Rock Center. To contradict Greeley, "Go East, young man!"

mrjimmyjames

[14]May 13, 2013

Ruckhappy wrote:
    Don't believe it. There are a host of practical reasons why Seth sticking around SNL into this coming fall would be impractical. I'm more interested in who Seth will be taking with him from SNL to Late Night.

Amy Poehler did it. I could see him maybe stepping down as head writer but staying as WU anchor until the premiere. I could see Seth taking someone from the writing staff along with him, sort of like how Steve Higgins became Jimmy's announcer.

Ruckhappy

[15]May 13, 2013

They'll need the budget headroom to hire new cast and writers, so why keep Seth around for half a season just to do Update? The idea that he'll give "100% of his focus" to SNL up through the Christmas show and then whip together his own version of Late Night in less than a month is ludicrous. He's probably already thinking of the writers he wants to hire. In fact, to get the best pick of the available talent Late Night is going to need to be offering writers contracts starting in the fall, not in February.

Christ, the promo work, if they're going for a tie-in for the Winter Olympics, will burn up most of December. No, the bit about Seth staying on at SNL for half a season sounds like some kind of placeholder hype to keep some affiliates placated for the upfronts, although I don't know why. Lorne might also want to hold open the option of keeping on Seth in case all his options for Update replacements don't pan out in August/Sept.

JustinRAn

[16]May 15, 2013
    What I would like to see next season:

No Cast Member Hostings (Unless December or May)
    Less Cameos
    More Group Sketches with most of the cast
    Have the entire cast get equal screen time
    Bits on Update as the cast doing a monologue (Like Chris Rock did)
    At least 3 original sketches per episode
    More Impression Sketches (Those are really minimum this year excluding political figures)

HelloStuart

[17]May 15, 2013
    JustinRAn wrote:
    What I would like to see next season:

Have the entire cast get equal screen time
    Bits on Update as the cast doing a monologue (Like Chris Rock did)

1. Never going to happen. Never has happened, really.

2. You're comparing SNL now to SNL from 20-odd years ago, when a fair chunk of the cast were stand-up comedians.

Ruckhappy

[18]May 16, 2013

JustinRAn wrote:
    What I would like to see next season: No Cast Member Hostings (Unless December or May)

Not even Bill Murray? They may need to salt in some alumni hosts next fall, given all the new cast they'll be breaking in. Poehler, Fey and Ferrell, for example, have been some of their most reliably good hosts in recent years. They know how to come in and work with the cast and writers.

JustinRAn wrote:
    At least 3 original sketches per episode

What show were you watching this season? Not SNL. They averaged 75%-90% original sketches up to the Wiig show. They had whole shows with all original material. It's actually one of the most notable aspects of the entire season.

Anyway...guess we won't have to wait for cast departures. Looks like Fred and Jason are going as well. That strongly hints at three male cast hires.

This is also going to be an historic season next fall: the women will finally be in control! Effectively, yes, unless the new guys they hire are incredibly good right away. They really only have three strong male sketch leads, discounting Jay and Kenan. But there are five women, and with Aidy looking better and better I'm not going to discount her as a lead anymore. I wonder how long it will take before critics and fans do the math and realize that the girls will be in charge of SNL next year.

wichovettorazzi

[19]May 17, 2013
    • level: 5

My hosting Predictions:

It's been a while since we last had Jon Hamm and he is kind of a favorite so I'm guessing he'll return.

With all the buzz about Robin Williams having a new TV comedy, I'm guessing he'll be hosting too.

Emma Watson is joining a bunch of comedy monsters in this year's "This is the end" so I'm guessing that if she proves to reach the standards of those guys, she can be expecting an invitation.

Rebel Wilson was highly requested this season by the fans. I'm guessing they won't let the next season pass without getting Rebel to host.

With Seth McFarlane hosting next year's Oscar ceremony again, he will probably be invited.

How I met your mother is aproaching it's final season, so I guess, not only the show, but it's stars too, will getting a lot of media buzz. Maybe that may get Neil Patrick Harris to return. Or perhaps they finally pay attention to Radnor, Smulders or Hanigan.

Chloe Grace Moretz is aiming to be one of the biggest stars of 2013. Between the "Carrie" Remake and the "Kick-Ass" sequel, she will be one of the most successful uprising stars this year. She may be only 16, but I think she would be a good adition.

I think this year will be finally the year Eric Stonestreet gets the Emmy for Modern Familiy. I'm not generalizing, but emmy winners often get higher possibilities of hosting the show.

We've waited years for the 'Big Bang' stars to make it on the show. I think if they finally get one of them to host it would be Jim Parsons or Kayley Cuoco. I wouldn't bet too much on Johnny Gallecki, although I don't think it would be a bad idea.

With the highly anticipated return of "Arrested development" we can be expecting to see Jason Bateman hosting.

I also would like to see: John Krasinski, Rachel McAdams, Jeff Daniels, Emma Stone, Anna Kendrick, Matt Damon, Steve Carell, Hugh Jackman, Emily Blunt and Robert Downey Jr.

wichovettorazzi

[20]May 17, 2013
    • level: 5

JustinRAn wrote:
    What I would like to see next season: No Cast Member Hostings (Unless December or May) Less Cameos More Group Sketches with most of the cast Have the entire cast get equal screen time Bits on Update as the cast doing a monologue (Like Chris Rock did) At least 3 original sketches per episode More Impression Sketches (Those are really minimum this year excluding political figures)

Don't forget: "Less singers hosting":

Bruno Mars, Justin Bieber, Adam Levine and Justin Timberlake.

Timberlake isn't exclusively in the music bussiness, so I'll let him pass. Besides he?s becoming an SNL legend and was probably the best host of the season.

While Levine was actually quite enjoyable, Bruno Mars and Justin Bieber just delivered probably the worst performances of all season.