Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

Season 39 Predictions

wichovettorazzi

[21]May 17, 2013
    • level: 5

Oh, oh! I forgot Andy Samberg... He will probably be hosting as he's getting a new TV show

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

JM5000

[22]May 17, 2013
    • level: 8

wichovettorazzi wrote:

JustinRAn wrote:
    What I would like to see next season: No Cast Member Hostings (Unless December or May) Less Cameos More Group Sketches with most of the cast Have the entire cast get equal screen time Bits on Update as the cast doing a monologue (Like Chris Rock did) At least 3 original sketches per episode More Impression Sketches (Those are really minimum this year excluding political figures)

Don't forget: "Less singers hosting":

Bruno Mars, Justin Bieber, Adam Levine and Justin Timberlake.

Timberlake isn't exclusively in the music bussiness, so I'll let him pass. Besides he?s becoming an SNL legend and was probably the best host of the season.

While Levine was actually quite enjoyable, Bruno Mars and Justin Bieber just delivered probably the worst performances of all season.

I would actually switch Levine with Mars, because I think Mars was quite enjoyable (and a great musical guest). As for Levine and Bieber, I feel that they could have been a lot worse. To me, they were merely forgettable. The REAL worst host of the season was Jeremy Renner...

JM5000

[23]May 17, 2013

Most of your host predictions are pretty solid. I'm hoping Jon Hamm hosts the next season premiere; Now that they've gone two whole seasons without him hosting (and the last time he hosted was EARLY Season 36, making the spread even longer), I would say it's a good time to bring him back. Two other hosts I want to see back next season are Tom Hanks (who's in a movie playing Walt Disney, so that's a good enough reason) and Daniel Radcliffe (poured his heart into his roles and still got overshadowed by Lana Del Rey's infamous performance).

As for ex-castmembers, my choices for next season would be Amy Poehler, Julia Louis-Dreyfus and Andy Samberg. For musicians, there's Lady Gaga, Cee Lo Green and Dave Grohl (and I know that at least two of them are releasing new albums this year). For athletes, perhaps Peyton Manning will return if the Broncos win the next superbowl. Also, I think Simon Pegg has a new movie coming out, and I know he's a popular request...

As for musical guests, of the ones whose albums are already out, there are four I can picture being on next season:

Blake Shelton: The only judge from The Voice (past AND present) who hasn't performed on the show yet. His new songs are quite popular, and leading off with "Boys 'Round Here", I would say he would fit quite well as the musical guest for the premiere (in which case he would be the first ever country singer to lead off a season of this show).

Tegan and Sara: I'm not fully certain on these two, but their new album is doing quite well, and they seem like the type of band that SNL would like to promote. If they're going to be on next season, I would say Episode Numero Dos would fit them well.

David Bowie: His album has received so much praise, and he hasn't been on the show in forever. Second-to-last show of 2013 would fit.

Daft Punk: REALLY, REALLY, REALLY want these guys on next season! Their new album is doing well, and I love the songs I've heard from it so far! The only thing that would hold SNL back from them is the fact that they're...quite different from the usual singers, rappers and bands that SNL is so accustomed to bringing in these days. But seriously, we NEED a little more variety in our musical guests! All this constant attention to pop singers, rappers, R&B singers, indie bands and classic rockers is leaving out so many unique musicians! The perfect episode for these guys would be the Christmas show, because not even David Bowie can top them!

JustinRAn

[24]May 17, 2013
    • level: 12
    Singers/Musicians hosting don't bother me. It makes me come in with low expectations as opposed to hosts like Emma Stone, Joseph Gordon Levitt, Melissa McCarthy, Zach Braff, Justin Timberlake, or Other established actors.

Beibers show had some good parts: Beiber Body Doubles, Bravo Programming, Miley Cyrus Show

Levine had The Rumble and the Sopranos Diaries. You could even throw in his monologue if you wanted.

Bruno Mars had Donkey Punch (The Hardest I have laughed this year, so far), Pandora Records, Update Dos & Don'ts, and Stefan

I'd take any of these hosting another 10 times as opposed to seeing another DeNiro hosting. At least they had Charisma.

Ruckhappy

[25]May 17, 2013
    • level: 9

wichovettorazzi wrote:

Oh, oh! I forgot Andy Samberg... He will probably be hosting as he's getting a new TV show

That's a good list, but I suspect you've got this one wrong. Fey, Poehler and Rudolph did not host until their sitcoms were all in their second season, and those were all NBC sitcoms. Even if Andy's show is a smash, I suspect he won't host earlier than Season 40. I suspect they won't have any repeat hosts from this season, so no MacFarlane (and no McCarthy three-peat).

Hamm and Poehler seem like safe bets, although they might go for Nick Offerman instead of Amy. And I'll throw in Ben Stiller, because if he hosts to promote The Secret Life of Walter Mitty that creates an excuse for Wiig to cameo (ugh).

JustinRAn

[26]May 18, 2013
    I'd rather Rashida Jones but that's me.

Ruckhappy

[27]May 18, 2013

JustinRAn wrote:
    I'd rather Rashida Jones but that's me.

I would love to see her host SNL someday. I think she would be a good host, especially playing off the current cast of women. But, objectively, she'd be the fourth or fifth-funniest host they could pull from the cast of Parks & Rec, behind Poehler, Offerman, Ansari, Scott...wait a minute...Plaza, and maybe Retta and Chris Pratt. OK, she'd be funnier than Rob Lowe.

I do like her. I love it when she comes on Craig Ferguson's show. It just seems like she's better as a comic foil than as an actual laugh-getter. She doesn't seem to have the instinct for the killer line.

jcav422

[29]May 18, 2013
    • level: 2
    Returning host predictions:

Melissa McCarthy
    Alec Baldwin
    Will Ferrell (Baldwin & Ferrell for December with Ferrell doing the Christmas episode)
    Jimmy Fallon (with Late Night)
    Emma Stone
    Jon Hamm
    Amy Poehler
    Julia Louis-Dreyfus
    Anna Faris (if "Mom" is a hit)

HelloStuart

[30]May 18, 2013
    • level: 63
    Ruckhappy wrote:

wichovettorazzi wrote:

That's a good list, but I suspect you've got this one wrong. Fey, Poehler and Rudolph did not host until their sitcoms were all in their second season, and those were all NBC sitcoms. Even if Andy's show is a smash, I suspect he won't host earlier than Season 40. I suspect they won't have any repeat hosts from this season, so no MacFarlane (and no McCarthy three-peat).

Hamm and Poehler seem like safe bets, although they might go for Nick Offerman instead of Amy. And I'll throw in Ben Stiller, because if he hosts to promote The Secret Life of Walter Mitty that creates an excuse for Wiig to cameo (ugh).

Maya hosted when "Up All Night" was midway through its first season.

Ruckhappy

[31]May 18, 2013

They haven't had someone host three seasons in a row since Goodman. I can't see McCarthy three-peating unless she wins an Oscar or something.

But now that you mention it, Fallon hosting in January to promote the Tonight Show/Late Night shift, plus the Winter Olympics, makes lots of sense.

radrobd

[32]May 19, 2013
    • level: 54
    wichovettorazzi wrote:

My hosting Predictions:

I think this year will be finally the year Eric Stonestreet gets the Emmy for Modern Familiy. I'm not generalizing, but emmy winners often get higher possibilities of hosting the show.

Stonestreet has already won the Emmy for "Modern Family"... TWICE. He won in 2010 and again in 2012.

JM5000

[33]May 19, 2013

Ruckhappy wrote:

They haven't had someone host three seasons in a row since Goodman.

Jon Hamm?

HelloStuart

[34]May 19, 2013
    • level: 63
    JM5000 wrote:

Ruckhappy wrote:

They haven't had someone host three seasons in a row since Goodman.

Jon Hamm?

I was gonna say; Jon hosted in Seasons 34 through 36.

JustinRAn

[35]May 19, 2013
    Ruckhappy wrote:

They haven't had someone host three seasons in a row since Goodman. I can't see McCarthy three-peating unless she wins an Oscar or something.

But now that you mention it, Fallon hosting in January to promote the Tonight Show/Late Night shift, plus the Winter Olympics, makes lots of sense.

She probably will get Nominated for "The Heat" like for Bridesmaids. Why? Cause She's Melissa McCarthy.

Ruckhappy

[36]May 19, 2013

I thought that Hamm had skipped a season in there. I still don't see McCarthy going three in a row.

After watching the season closer a second time, I'm pretty sure that Jason is leaving. That emotional, tearful hug with Bill and Fred looked like he was leaving as well. He just did not want to announce it or wave goodbye for whatever reason. Since I think they'll cut the cast down by one, they'll hire three guys. I'm not expecting any real surprises with the summer casting, other than that we may see one or two minority hires. Not to fill a need or make a statement but just because the talent pool is getting more mixed, year by year.

The real drama will be in writer hiring (and departures). The major predictive conclusion you can draw from this season is that the current writers cannot write shows that are 80%-90% new material. They tried and they failed. So the choice for the senior production staff is, hire a lot of new writers or go back to writing much more recurring material. The latter choice is perfectly valid and practical. They have a very creative and fecund core cast, many of whom already have troves of signature pieces. They can stage a very funny season of SNL without having to gut the writer's room. It's not what I would do but it's one way to jump.

Should get a read on which way they're going within the next month. If you see a lot of the senior writers signing on with new shows, that's the sign.

Woodstein

[37]May 20, 2013
    • level: 14
    Fred could play different ethnicities in a way that others in the cast couldn't get away with (when some of the other cast members played Chinese people in the Tech Talk sketch from Christina Applegate's episode, it didn't seem right), so I'm guessing there will be at least one minority cast member hired because of that.

What I'm wondering is who, if any of the featured players will become regular cast members. The recent precedent has been to have them as featured for two seasons (Amy Poehler was the last one to buck that trend, I believe, being promoted halfway through her first season), but since it has been a while since there was such rapid turnover in the cast, I can see Aidy, Kate, Tim, and/or Cecily being fast-tracked to regular status.

Ruckhappy

[38]May 20, 2013

I think you're correct that they'll just kick up all the 2012 hires (including Kate) to the repertory cast. They're going to hire at least 2 new guys (probably 3) so they need to make room for them on the featured players roster anyway and there's no reason to risk the divisiveness of promoting some but not others. And, not to be mean about it but the four newbies have done more in one season than Jay did in his first two, so it's not like they don't deserve it.

JustinRAn

[39]May 20, 2013
    My Schedule Idea (21 Episodes)

September 21- Elizabeth Banks
    September 28- Neil Patrick Harris
    October 5- Joseph Gordon Levitt
    October 26- Scarlett Johannson
    November 2- Natalie Portman
    November 9- Sean Hayes
    November 16- Jennifer Lawrence
    December 7- Justin Timberlake
    December 14- Will Ferrell
    January 11- Kevin Hart
    January 18- Ice Cube
    February 8- Alison Brie
    February 15- Samuel Jackson
    March 15- Jim Parsons
    March 22- Tina Fey
    March 29- Seth McFarlane
    April 5- Anne Hathaway
    April 12- Emma Stone
    May 3- Bryan Cranston
    May 10- Joel McHale
    May 17- Megan Fox

Ruckhappy

[40]May 20, 2013

A season with only five first-time hosts? Don't bet on it.

I also wouldn't expect to see Megan Fox back at home base for a looong time yet.