Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

Season 39 Predictions

Ruckhappy

[226]Jan 25, 2014
    • level: 9

Er, you've got it exactly backwards. Anyone nominated is not going to be hosting SNL, they'll be in LA getting ready for the Oscars. In fact, they'll have problems getting any big film star to host that weekend, because no one is going to want to work a full week at SNL and then take a red-eye flight across the country to appear at the Oscars

But after Russell Wilson leads the Seahawks to victory--which he will--he would be a good pick to host as the first black QB to win a Super Bowl. He might actually make a good host. He's smart and well-spoken.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

JM5000

[227]Jan 25, 2014
    • level: 8

As a Colorado resident, I'm rooting for Manning to earn a second appearance...It would be nice to have an athlete host represent my state...

Hennes81

[228]Jan 25, 2014
    • level: 6

JM5000 wrote:
    As a Colorado resident, I'm rooting for Manning to earn a second appearance...It would be nice to have an athlete host represent my state...

And more importantly, he would be a deserving two-time host. Also (even though I've learned that the Giants played awful season) an episode hosted by Peyton AND Eli would be great, but I'm not sure they want to share the spotlight since both of them were good alone.

Ruckhappy

[229]Jan 25, 2014

Eh, moot speculation. Denver will have the fifteenth-ranked rushing defense going against a power running team playing outdoors in Jersey in February. Manning will spend the entire day standing on the sidelines watching Marshawn Lynch and the Seattle O-line grind Denver's defense into mush. He'll barely get his hands on the ball.

If it's not an athlete hosting 3/1, a television star would be a good bet. An NBC sitcom star would be a natural...if NBC had any sitcoms left. Maybe we'll finally see Nick Offerman host. Or Peter Dinklage. Game of Thrones' new season debuts in April.

JM5000

[230]Jan 25, 2014

Kat Dennings has been running rampant in the Facebook requests...

Ruckhappy

[231]Jan 26, 2014

Kat Dennings can run rampant with me anytime she likes...

I think she'd make a good host, but I don't see them putting two CBS sitcom stars on SNL this year.

HelloStuart

[232]Feb 7, 2014
    • level: 63
    Ruckhappy wrote:

But after Russell Wilson leads the Seahawks to victory--which he will--he would be a good pick to host as the first black QB to win a Super Bowl. He might actually make a good host. He's smart and well-spoken.

Second black QB. You forgot Doug Williams.

With the Sochi Olympiad mucking things up, there's an outside shot an Oscar nominee might host the night before the ceremonies, but it's unlikely.

JM5000

[233]Feb 8, 2014

There's a VERY strong possibility that the reason why they haven't found a host for March 1st yet is because they're looking for a worthy name from the Olympics...I'm actually quite surprised that Shaun White hasn't hosted yet...I thought he did, but no, that was Jonny Moseley...

Of course, they don't let too many FEMALE athletes on the show...I mean, yes, Nancy Kerrigan sucked, but so did quite a few MALE athletes, so surely they can find the female version of Peyton Manning SOMEWHERE...There are a couple promising ladies in these games, so we'll just see...

Regardless of what Ruck said about CBS hosts, I still consider Kat Dennings a strong possibility due to her popularity on Facebook...If not this season, then soon...

Maybe someone might promote the new Muppet movie, though Tina already went for this season...

Jon Hamm has a movie in May, so he might come back by the end of the season...

I'm still picturing Samberg for the second-to-last show...

Hanks, Adams and Forte still seem like logical Oscar-nominated hosts...

Other former cast-members I would consider a possibility are Hader, Armisen, Wiig and Poehler, but Forte and Samberg seem like the two that are most called-for...Maybe next season for these other four...

For musician hosts, the three that are possible are Beyonce, McCartney and Grohl...I wouldn't mind either of the last two so much, but the first would probably be overkill after the other three that already went...But McCartney is an established favorite (with a successful new album) and Grohl is a popular suggestion on Facebook...

I can picture a similar last three shows as last season:

Galifianakis/Hamm: A recent breakout.

Wiig/Samberg: A former cast-member (who both left at the same time) making their first hosting appearance.

Affleck/Hanks: Old favorite nominated for an Oscar (and hopefully Captain Phillips has enough success to qualify Hanks for a late plug.)

So now we move on to musical guests. Out of the ones with confirmed (or recent) album releases, the ones that seem most likely for a comeback are:

Beyonce

Shakira

Foster the People

Beck

U2

I might also throw in Paul McCartney and Queens of the Stone Age for the success of their new albums...I guess I can still get my hopes up for an SNL debut from Black Sabbath as well...We need more metal bands on this show anyway...

Finally, there are the possible candidates for the finale...Naturally, the rule still stands that it should be someone who performed on the show before...It also has to be someone who doesn't release their new album until after the season is over...That basically just leaves the
    Unscheduled and TBA list on the Wikipedia page for 2014 albums...Here are the candidates:

AC/DC: Performed on the show once a decade and a half ago...Also one of the biggest bands of all time...If their new album gets enough hype (and is released at the right time), they could very well qualify...

Adele: My favorite to win the honor, because she's well overdue for a second appearance. It would be a breath of fresh air for SNL to close a season with someone who's more about the impact they've made on music in general in recent years and their true talent than flashy sets and/or costumes (and performing numerous times in the last few years). For me, Adele is the perfect choice...But her album has to be released at the right time to qualify...

The Black Keys: Great band, great past performances...Not quite big enough...

Blink-182: Not for the finale, but since SNL acknowledged them as a popular suggestion on Facebook, MAYBE they'll make a comeback next season...But only if their new album doesn't reek of dated early 2000s pop rock, and that, I might say, sounds like a long-shot...

Chris Brown: If he performs for the season finale, I'm gonna eat my own testicles...

Coldplay: Would make sense, but they already did it before, so I think they should give someone else a shot...But we may very well have them back again next season...

The Cult: Barely qualify, because they were only half of their musical line-up in one show way back in the 80s...Highly doubtful...

Foo Fighters: An old favorite...They could very well make sense for the finale...Either way, we can guarantee that they'll be back soon...

Frank Ocean: He is worthy to come back to the show, but he's not established enough for the finale, especially following in the heavy footsteps of Kanye and Timberlake...

Fun.: They could very well be coming back soon...But they're still not established enough for the finale...

Garbage: Doubtful...

Kylie Minogue: Even more doubtful...

Miley Cyrus: Already had her turn for this season, but she did well enough that her Part Two album has a strong enough chance for next season...

Kanye West: For God's sake, give someone else a shot...In fact, if they just HAVE to bring Kanye back after doing every big thing possible with him, he should just perform for a middle show next time...

Lana Del Rey: Even if they DO want to bring her back to redeem herself from last time, she is WAY too risky a choice for the finale...

Linkin Park: I don't think so...

No Doubt: Their last big comeback album was ignored, so even if they come back for the new one, I actually do have my "Doubts" for the finale...

Phish: I guess it all depends on how well they did last time those ten or so years ago...

Rancid: Punk is not SNL's friend lately...

Red Hot Chili Peppers: Doubt it...

Mariah Carey: Probably not, but we'll just see how her album does...

Soundgarden: Nahh...Besides, they've done it already...

Taylor Swift: The only reason to bring Swift back is to host again, and since her last appearance, she has been eclipsed by Drake and Bruno Mars...So, yeah, she has no real reason to come back...

Tori Amos: Nahh...

And those are the qualifiers...Obviously, there will be more albums this year released by guests of the past, and more obviously, SNL will ignore all but those that REALLY qualify, but I'm just reading into what I know so far...I still don't know if they're ever going to book any more guests with more than a five-year spread, but we'll just see what develops this year...

HelloStuart

[234]Feb 9, 2014
    JM5000 wrote:

Of course, they don't let too many FEMALE athletes on the show...I mean, yes, Nancy Kerrigan sucked, but so did quite a few MALE athletes, so surely they can find the female version of Peyton Manning SOMEWHERE...There are a couple promising ladies in these games, so we'll just see...

I'm pretty sure the female version of Peyton Manning is Eli.

JM5000

[235]Feb 10, 2014

HelloStuart wrote:
    JM5000 wrote:

I'm pretty sure the female version of Peyton Manning is Eli.

BUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRNNNNNNNN!!!

Ruckhappy

[236]Feb 11, 2014

I suspect that any more SNL alumni hosting this season will be unlikely to avoid any talk of Lorne turning NBC's late night lineup into an SNL promotion platform. Or more of that talk if you like. As it is, Jimmy is going to have Wiig and Ferrell on for his first week of The Tonight Show, and Seth is going to open Late Night with Poehler. I think we'll probably see a lot of SNL faces on Seth's show this spring as he and Lorne buttress his launch with familiarly funny stars, people off of whom Seth can comfortably riff. More alumni hosts this season would just be overkill.

JM5000

[237]Feb 11, 2014

Ruckhappy wrote:

I suspect that any more SNL alumni hosting this season will be unlikely to avoid any talk of Lorne turning NBC's late night lineup into an SNL promotion platform. Or more of that talk if you like. As it is, Jimmy is going to have Wiig and Ferrell on for his first week of The Tonight Show, and Seth is going to open Late Night with Poehler. I think we'll probably see a lot of SNL faces on Seth's show this spring as he and Lorne buttress his launch with familiarly funny stars, people off of whom Seth can comfortably riff. More alumni hosts this season would just be overkill.

Again, don't underestimate SNL's readiness to overkill something you think they should have gotten their fill of in one season...Every time I think they're done with certain types of guests in one season, they prove me wrong with the worst example possible...Hell, even now I'm going easy on my estimation, because there's no doubt in my mind that they could totally bring back Wiig or Poehler by the end of the season if they wanted to, and I won't deny that it could totally happen...Unless they change their ways, I feel almost certain that we will be seeing at least one more former cast member host by the end of the season, and I just hope it's someone who hasn't had the chance to do it yet...

Ruckhappy

[238]Feb 11, 2014

Considering how desperately she's been hanging around SNL I should know better than to absolutely rule out the idea of Wiig hosting two years in a row, but you can't assume the absolute worst about Lorne all the time because that way lies madness. Granted, that recent Vulture magazine interview seems to indicate that Lorne thinks he can get away with anything with regard to how he runs SNL, but I have to think he keeps some sense of sane limits.

Andy might get a hosting nod since Brooklyn Nine-Nine is produced by NBC Universal, and thus NBC does have a financial interest in the show. Also, I note that Bill Murray has been unusually ubiquitous on the promo tour to hype Monuments Men so I wonder if he's in a phase of doing more public appearances. With two films out this spring he might be willing to host the season finale if asked. Also, he said in his Reddit chat that he really likes the current cast so he might welcome a chance to work with them.

HelloStuart

[239]Feb 13, 2014
    Ruckhappy wrote:

Andy might get a hosting nod since Brooklyn Nine-Nine is produced by NBC Universal, and thus NBC does have a financial interest in the show. Also, I note that Bill Murray has been unusually ubiquitous on the promo tour to hype Monuments Men so I wonder if he's in a phase of doing more public appearances. With two films out this spring he might be willing to host the season finale if asked. Also, he said in his Reddit chat that he really likes the current cast so he might welcome a chance to work with them.

Billy also said he loved the Year 32-33 ensemble.

JM5000

[240]Mar 20, 2014

So with three episodes left undecided for Season 39, I'm gonna go ahead and make my best predictions for possibilities...I have my doubts for most of these, but chances are, SOMEONE in the list will be on...

Hosts:

An Athlete (We're still yet to fill the athlete quota for this season...)

Amy Poehler

Andrew Garfield

Andy Samberg

Beyonce

Bill Murray

Bryan Cranston

Carrie Brownstein

Channing Tatum

Dave Grohl

Emma Stone

James Franco

Jamie Foxx

Jennifer Lawrence

Jon Hamm (Though after that pointless cameo, I doubt it)

Kat Dennings

Kristen Wiig

Mark Wahlberg

Paul McCartney

Sarah Silverman

Seth MacFarlane

Tom Hanks

Zach Galifianakis (Why not? Every OTHER famous fat person hosted this season...)

Musical Guests:

AC/DC

Adele

Beyonce

Black Sabbath (I CAN STILL HOPE, DAMMIT!)

Coldplay

Foo Fighters

Queens of the Stone Age

Shakira (Depending on how her album does)

U2

Here's what I'm picturing for the last three shows:

May 3: Andy Samberg/Shakira

May 10: Carrie Brownstein/Coldplay

May 17: Seth MacFarlane/U2

(Host predictions subject to change...)

HelloStuart

[241]Mar 21, 2014
    It won't be Elisabeth Moss, that's for sure...

JM5000

[242]Mar 27, 2014

One thing to keep in mind is that musical artists can announce the release date of their new album (and the songs on that album) in a heartbeat very suddenly...That's why I put some finale possibilities like Adele, Foo Fighters and AC/DC in the prediction list (I think it's between those three and U2...)

With that said, having read the announcement, I hereby add the Black Keys to my prediction list...(I can picture them performing for the second-to-last show...)

HelloStuart

[243]Mar 29, 2014
    JM5000 wrote:

One thing to keep in mind is that musical artists can announce the release date of their new album (and the songs on that album) in a heartbeat very suddenly...That's why I put some finale possibilities like Adele, Foo Fighters and AC/DC in the prediction list (I think it's between those three and U2...)

With that said, having read the announcement, I hereby add the Black Keys to my prediction list...(I can picture them performing for the second-to-last show...)

I think Grand Funk has a better shot than AC/DC.

JM5000

[244]Mar 29, 2014

HelloStuart wrote:
    JM5000 wrote:

I think Grand Funk has a better shot than AC/DC.

While I'm at it, maybe I should consider Coldplay a MINOR possibility...You know, in case there's no better choice...Though their new song "Magic" is pretty bland, so I don't know if they have the best material to perform for the big finale...

I'd say the two most likely candidates are Adele and U2, depending on when they each release their new albums...Though Foo Fighters can still nab it as well...

JM5000

[245]Apr 9, 2014

Okay, I'm gonna go ahead and predict the last three shows, and we'll see just how accurate I am...

May 3: Emma Stone/Shakira

May 10: A former castmember (Wiig, Samberg, Poehler, Murray or Silverman seem like the best choices)/The Black Keys

May 17: Tom Hanks/Adele (or whatever other musician announces their new album at the last moment...It could also be U2, Coldplay, Foo Fighters or Jack White...)