Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

Season 39 Predictions

  • Avatar of Ruckhappy

    Ruckhappy

    [82]Jul 13, 2013
    • member since: 08/03/11
    • level: 9
    • rank: Door Number 2
    • posts: 800

    It was in the season or two after the Digital Shorts started blowing up that they really went hard for the 'tweener audience. You could see it in the sketch writing and casting as well as host picks. There was a definite, concerted slant to capture/retain that audience. The casting of Abby, Nasim, Jenny, Taran and I think even Paul were attempts to add faces who would appeal to 'tweeners.


    I mean, didn't you wonder why Abby was allowed to hang around for four seasons, Stu? In part I think was due to Lorne hoping vainly that she'd develop into a breakout star with 'tweener appeal.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of HelloStuart

    HelloStuart

    [83]Jul 16, 2013
    • member since: 06/03/05
    • level: 63
    • rank: Browncoat
    • posts: 27,172
    Ruckhappy wrote:

    I mean, didn't you wonder why Abby was allowed to hang around for four seasons, Stu? In part I think was due to Lorne hoping vainly that she'd develop into a breakout star with 'tweener appeal.


    Perhaps. From what I heard, she had a lot of bad luck in the final dress. At the same time, she never had a strong recurring character to bolster her presence in the live show.

    At the same time, SNL is constantly looking for young talent, though "how" young tends to vary. Incidentally, Claire Mulaney will be 26 in the fall.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Ruckhappy

    Ruckhappy

    [84]Jul 16, 2013
    • member since: 08/03/11
    • level: 9
    • rank: Door Number 2
    • posts: 800

    Do you mean "final dress" as a plural, Stu? In other words, that she had a number of sketches featuring herself that were cut after dress? I find that difficult to believe. She was on the show for four seasons. If you're getting your sketches into the dress show fairly often, enough of them should make it to air over four seasons to make an impression. Honestly, that sounds like the kind of self-serving explanation that Abby or her people would put out to explain her not making the cut at SNL.


    The dress cuts are, by all accounts, mostly Lorne's choices. I can't see him as having systematically bilged Abby's pieces. He was pretty invested in her. After all, he gave her that summer webisode thing to do as a kind of last chance deal when everyone had given up on her.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of HelloStuart

    HelloStuart

    [85]Jul 25, 2013
    • member since: 06/03/05
    • level: 63
    • rank: Browncoat
    • posts: 27,172

    Here's some food for thought. I've seen eight of these nine actors perform (though I've heard of Teddy T); Nnandi is a former classmate.


    http://www.choosechicago.com/blog/post/2013/07/Nine-Major-Players-in-Chicago-Comedy-to-Watch-Out-for-in-2013/877/

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of JM5000

    JM5000

    [86]Aug 12, 2013
    • member since: 11/14/07
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 563

    Well, SNL's Facebook page just opened up for suggestions...And the request I saw all over the place was New Kids on the Block...I'm not drawing any conclusions, but popularity usually equals a response...


    As for my own predictions, I think the two safest bets right now would be Robin Thicke and Daft Punk...The former maybe for the premiere and the latter for the Christmas special...



    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Hennes81

    Hennes81

    [87]Aug 13, 2013
    • member since: 05/07/09
    • level: 6
    • rank: Small Wonder
    • posts: 304

    The last time they asked via twitter there were a lot of people asking for the Backstreet Boys. So there might be a huge following for this bands but it doesn't mean they will be booked.


    I'm definitely counting on Lady Gaga for MG maybe also host since her new album is announced.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Ruckhappy

    Ruckhappy

    [88]Aug 13, 2013
    • member since: 08/03/11
    • level: 9
    • rank: Door Number 2
    • posts: 800

    SNL is not going to book boy-band nostalgia acts who are touring county fairs. Get real.


    As to Thicke, SNL has a pretty good record about not booking one-hit wonders. Did they book Carly Rae Jepsen last season? No. When was the last time they booked someone like that? The Baha Men?


    Despite having a somewhat rocky transition season, SNL's ratings were down only a little last year. The show has new stars that casual viewers (who drive the margin ratings numbers) will tune in to see. Lorne can easily book a Hanks, Baldwin, Hamm, etc. who will have the clout to attract a top-name musical guest. Backstreet Boys? How desperate do you think Lorne is?

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Ruckhappy

    Ruckhappy

    [89]Aug 13, 2013
    • member since: 08/03/11
    • level: 9
    • rank: Door Number 2
    • posts: 800

    Ruckhappy wrote:
    When was the last time they booked someone like that? The Baha Men?


    To answer my own question, James Blunt in 2005.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of JustinRAn

    JustinRAn

    [90]Aug 13, 2013
    • member since: 12/30/09
    • level: 12
    • rank: Evil Bert
    • posts: 1,286
    Ruckhappy wrote:

    SNL is not going to book boy-band nostalgia acts who are touring county fairs. Get real.


    As to Thicke, SNL has a pretty good record about not booking one-hit wonders. Did they book Carly Rae Jepsen last season? No. When was the last time they booked someone like that? The Baha Men?


    Despite having a somewhat rocky transition season, SNL's ratings were down only a little last year. The show has new stars that casual viewers (who drive the margin ratings numbers) will tune in to see. Lorne can easily book a Hanks, Baldwin, Hamm, etc. who will have the clout to attract a top-name musical guest. Backstreet Boys? How desperate do you think Lorne is?



    If the studio/record label puts up alot of money, I don't think Lorne would turn that down. He picked Lana Del Ray.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Ruckhappy

    Ruckhappy

    [91]Aug 13, 2013
    • member since: 08/03/11
    • level: 9
    • rank: Door Number 2
    • posts: 800

    JustinRAn wrote:
    If the studio/record label puts up alot of money, I don't think Lorne would turn that down. He picked Lana Del Ray.


    Who do you think books MG's for SNL, Alan Freed? Musical acts don't buy their way onto SNL. A performer or group being heavily promoted by their label will have more clout to get booked, sure, but that's a secondarily symbiotic thing. If a label promotes an act into high popularity, SNL gets a ratings bump because the act draws an outside audience to the show. It may be an AstroTurf audience, but it still adds up to higher ratings...in theory. Although the Daniel Radcliffe/Lana Del Rey show did get higher ratings, I think you could argue that it was due to the Harry Potter maniacs, not her.


    Unfortunately, we don't get to hear about the MG's who try to get invited to play SNL and are turned away by the act booker and/or Lorne. I bet you that there have been quite a few. There have been dozens of acts who have charted high and never been booked for SNL. Hundreds, if you go back far enough.

    Edited on 08/13/2013 6:17pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of JM5000

    JM5000

    [92]Aug 13, 2013
    • member since: 11/14/07
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 563

    Ruckhappy wrote:


    SNL is not going to book boy-band nostalgia acts who are touring county fairs. Get real.


    As to Thicke, SNL has a pretty good record about not booking one-hit wonders. Did they book Carly Rae Jepsen last season? No. When was the last time they booked someone like that? The Baha Men?


    Despite having a somewhat rocky transition season, SNL's ratings were down only a little last year. The show has new stars that casual viewers (who drive the margin ratings numbers) will tune in to see. Lorne can easily book a Hanks, Baldwin, Hamm, etc. who will have the clout to attract a top-name musical guest. Backstreet Boys? How desperate do you think Lorne is?




    It was a thought, and after thinking it over right after I posted that comment, I realized that a huge fanbase isn't gonna get them to book a rusty old boy band from the eighties whose new album is neither successful nor popular...


    You do raise a very good point with Thicke, it's very possible that he won't be on at all...(Still have my fingers crossed for Daft Punk...)


    With the state the show's in right now, as in minus three very reliable cast members, they might want to start things off with someone they know can be a great host...And I think Jon Hamm fits. It's been a few seasons since he last hosted, and I think he would make a great premiere host. Even though there's not much for him to plug right now, it can be like Alec Baldwin two seasons ago, who only hosted the premiere to top Steve Martin's record...(Actually, the appearance before that was very similar, as he only hosted to TIE Steve Martin's record...And they didn't know who or WHAT else could follow Betty White...)


    As for what musician can start off the season with Hamm, it's very hard to know...Usually there's a rising star who broke out over the summer or a returning guest who's big enough to open things up...This year, the closest thing to any of those was Thicke, in which even if he DOES perform this season, the premiere might be too obvious...My next best guess was the one I predicted before the end of the last season, Blake Shelton...To be fair, he was a pretty popular request on Facebook and I actually can see SNL booking him...But he's been sliding down the charts over the summer, so I'm still not sure...We'll just wait a week or two for them to announce the first few shows...


    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Hennes81

    Hennes81

    [93]Aug 14, 2013
    • member since: 05/07/09
    • level: 6
    • rank: Small Wonder
    • posts: 304

    Ruckhappy wrote:


    As to Thicke, SNL has a pretty good record about not booking one-hit wonders.
    When was the last time they booked someone like that? The Baha Men?



    I don't think I've ever heared a 2nd song from Gotye on the radio (I heared Somebody that I used to know this morning). Same thing with Foster the people.


    Also if you count Carly Rae Jepsen as a one-hit wonder we should count fun, Of Monsters And Men, Jessie J and The Lumineers in the same category (Idk if Passion Pit, Alabama Shakes or Karmin ever had a chart breaking single).


    The point is: They try new and rising acts and some of them remain a one-hit wonder. That's just logical.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of mrjimmyjames

    mrjimmyjames

    [94]Aug 14, 2013
    • member since: 05/13/10
    • level: 7
    • rank: Talk Show Host
    • posts: 420

    Hennes81 wrote:


    Ruckhappy wrote:


    As to Thicke, SNL has a pretty good record about not booking one-hit wonders.
    When was the last time they booked someone like that? The Baha Men?



    I don't think I've ever heared a 2nd song from Gotye on the radio (I heared Somebody that I used to know this morning). Same thing with Foster the people.


    Also if you count Carly Rae Jepsen as a one-hit wonder we should count fun, Of Monsters And Men, Jessie J and The Lumineers in the same category (Idk if Passion Pit, Alabama Shakes or Karmin ever had a chart breaking single).


    The point is: They try new and rising acts and some of them remain a one-hit wonder. That's just logical.



    reminds me of a rerun featuring Corinn Bailey Rae some time ago

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of HelloStuart

    HelloStuart

    [95]Aug 14, 2013
    • member since: 06/03/05
    • level: 63
    • rank: Browncoat
    • posts: 27,172
    mrjimmyjames wrote:

    Hennes81 wrote:


    Ruckhappy wrote:


    As to Thicke, SNL has a pretty good record about not booking one-hit wonders.
    When was the last time they booked someone like that? The Baha Men?



    I don't think I've ever heared a 2nd song from Gotye on the radio (I heared Somebody that I used to know this morning). Same thing with Foster the people.


    Also if you count Carly Rae Jepsen as a one-hit wonder we should count fun, Of Monsters And Men, Jessie J and The Lumineers in the same category (Idk if Passion Pit, Alabama Shakes or Karmin ever had a chart breaking single).


    The point is: They try new and rising acts and some of them remain a one-hit wonder. That's just logical.



    reminds me of a rerun featuring Corinne Bailey Rae some time ago


    Sometimes you'll have an act that never had a hit (in the US, anyway). Ms. Dynamite, anyone?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of HelloStuart

    HelloStuart

    [96]Aug 14, 2013
    • member since: 06/03/05
    • level: 63
    • rank: Browncoat
    • posts: 27,172
    The speculation in Chicago is that after tapping heavily from the Midwest in 2010 and 2012, any new cast hires will likely come from either NYC or LA. Balance, I suppose.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Ruckhappy

    Ruckhappy

    [98]Aug 18, 2013
    • member since: 08/03/11
    • level: 9
    • rank: Door Number 2
    • posts: 800

    HelloStuart wrote:
    The speculation in Chicago is that after tapping heavily from the Midwest in 2010 and 2012, any new cast hires will likely come from either NYC or LA. Balance, I suppose.


    I was surprised that they hired three out of Chi. last season, especially after things didn't work out with Paul Brittain. I still suspect that Aidy or Cecily was a bubble hire, tapped when the decision was made to finally can Abby.


    It's been such a quiet summer that it seems likely they're going to hire a couple of people they've brought in for auditions previously. I'm sure they've got all the top talent at UCB-NY well-scouted.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Ruckhappy

    Ruckhappy

    [99]Aug 18, 2013
    • member since: 08/03/11
    • level: 9
    • rank: Door Number 2
    • posts: 800

    Hennes81 wrote:
    The point is: They try new and rising acts and some of them remain a one-hit wonder. That's just logical.


    There's a difference between booking rising acts with artistic merit in one or other authentic music genre and your typical manufactured pop star who often turns out to be a one-hit wonder. SNL has historically tried to book the former and avoid the latter (mostly). Thicke is nothing more than a latter-day Neil Sedaka, and would SNL ever book Neil Sedaka?


    (Pauses to consider. "You don't suppose they actually did book Sedaka once? No way, never." Quick google-fu...oh hell, they did book Sedaka!)


    Nevertheless, there's a type of consciously pop act whose sole purpose is to make sales for a major record label and SNL has tried to avoid them. Thicke is just another one of those.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Hennes81

    Hennes81

    [100]Aug 19, 2013
    • member since: 05/07/09
    • level: 6
    • rank: Small Wonder
    • posts: 304

    Ruckhappy wrote:


    Nevertheless, there's a type of consciously pop act whose sole purpose is to make sales for a major record label and SNL has tried to avoid them. Thicke is just another one of those.



    I get what you mean and I agree SNL prefers to book MG which are critically acclaimed instead of just successful. But also they have a good share of these "more successful than acclaimed" MGs.


    I guess they are happy if a MG brings one of those qualifications and Thicke has success on his side. Of course there there would be some kind of Queens of the Stone Age, Black Keys or some unknown band in the episode after Thicke. But I don't know why he shouldn't have a chance (since OneDirection oder Jonas Brothers were booked in previous years).

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Ruckhappy

    Ruckhappy

    [101]Aug 19, 2013
    • member since: 08/03/11
    • level: 9
    • rank: Door Number 2
    • posts: 800

    Ugh, just when I'd finally forgotten about the Jonas Brothers appearing....


    I prefer to think that they booked them in order to shoot that Digital Short, not because they liked their "music."

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of JustinRAn

    JustinRAn

    [102]Aug 19, 2013
    • member since: 12/30/09
    • level: 12
    • rank: Evil Bert
    • posts: 1,286
    Ruckhappy wrote:

    Ugh, just when I'd finally forgotten about the Jonas Brothers appearing....


    I prefer to think that they booked them in order to shoot that Digital Short, not because they liked their "music."



    Right, Someone has to be host/musical guest to be on a Digital short; Like Blake Lively, Jamie Lynn Sigler, Molly Sims, T-Pain, Jake Gyllenhaal, Justin Timberlake, Adam Levine, Bono, Matt Lauer, Al Roker, Christopher Dodd, Ricky Gervais, Brian Williams, Conan O'Brien, Gideon Yago?

    All of those did Digital Shorts from Season 32 to 34 On episodes they didn't host/ musical guest.

    You could also probably add Jessica Alba, John Waters, Pee Wee Herman, John Mcenroe, James Cameron, Steven Spielberg, Anderson Cooper, Susan Sarandon, Patricia Clarkson, Olivia Wilde, Matt Damon, Val Kilmer, Danny McBride to people that also did Digital Shorts on episodes they didn't host/musical guest (Or in some cases have yet to appear live on SNL in any format)
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.