Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

Season 39 Predictions

Ruckhappy

[103]Aug 19, 2013
    • level: 8

...And like that, foom! the joke goes right over your head.

But I do think it's funny that those posing little weenies were actually pretty good in that short.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

JM5000

[104]Aug 19, 2013
    • level: 7

SNL is practically obliged to bring in at least one teen-heartthrob musical guest each season...

34: Jonas Brothers

35: Justin Bieber

36: Avoided it (but I hear rumors that they almost booked Big Time Rush for one of the last episodes...I just gagged in my mouth a bit...)

37: One Direction (just when they were starting to recover from Lana Del Rey, Karmin and Sleigh Bells with quality music like Jack White and the Shins...)

38: Bieber again...

If they're to do it again this season, I guess the best choice would be the Wanted (I don't think they're quite as bad as the other boy bands...) And hopefully, it's within the first half of the season...Of course, they could not do it at all, but I know I'll be getting paranoid, waiting for them to bring in their yearly lame pop musician, and the anticipation would kill me over the course of the season...

JustinRAn

[105]Aug 19, 2013
    • level: 12
    What Joke?

Hennes81

[106]Aug 20, 2013
    • level: 5

My point is: If they can hire these teen boy bands and MGs like Ke$ha, Diddy Dirty Money, Lana Del Ray, Karmin, The Ting Tings or Robyn (plus hosts like Lindsay Lohan, Katy Perry, Megan Fox, Taylor Lautner or Miley Cyrus), the booking of Robin Thicke wouldn't be a complete new move on SNL.

Btw: I actually liked some of these performances, but I'm getting why some people / nearly everyone were not happy about it.

JustinRAn

[107]Aug 20, 2013
    It's not always a bad thing when they go "Teen/Pop." Perfect example is Justin Timberlake, Or Britney Spears. You could even add Justin Beiber as an OK host. Katy Perry wasn't horrible either. Lohan's 4th episode failed due to horrible sketches. Miley Cyrus was pretty good too.

Ruckhappy

[108]Aug 20, 2013

I'm reading Rachel Dratch's memoir and just got up to the point where she was finally hired for the cast, in mid-August of whatever year it was. And it occurred to me that that must be the worst time of the year for a prospective or new member of the cast. I mean, you must just be sitting around waiting for the phone to ring (if you made it to final auditions) or not ring (if you're hoping to be rehired for the next season).

TV production is shut down for the summer. Most of the theatres are dark so you're probably not doing any stage work. If you're lucky maybe you've got a bit of film work going. You're probably just sitting around at home in the August heat (and if you're in Chicago or New York, humidity) jumping every time the phone rings. Not that I think they're going to fire anyone from the cast this year, but just in general.

HelloStuart

[109]Aug 22, 2013
    • level: 63
    Ruckhappy wrote:

I'm reading Rachel Dratch's memoir and just got up to the point where she was finally hired for the cast, in mid-August of whatever year it was. And it occurred to me that that must be the worst time of the year for a prospective or new member of the cast. I mean, you must just be sitting around waiting for the phone to ring (if you made it to final auditions) or not ring (if you're hoping to be rehired for the next season).

TV production is shut down for the summer. Most of the theatres are dark so you're probably not doing any stage work. If you're lucky maybe you've got a bit of film work going. You're probably just sitting around at home in the August heat (and if you're in Chicago or New York, humidity) jumping every time the phone rings. Not that I think they're going to fire anyone from the cast this year, but just in general.

Rachel was hired in 1999, but a theater obligation in Chicago kept her from appearing until the third episode that season.

There's actually a lot of theater stuff going on right now in Chicago; in fact, a new sketch/improv festival launched tonight in Wicker Park.

HelloStuart

[110]Aug 22, 2013

Deadline.com seems to think there will be three or four new hires, all from UCB, two from NYC and two from LA:

http://www.deadline.com/2013/08/john-milhiser-noel-wells-eyed-as-new-saturday-night-live-cast-additions/

If Noel is hired, that would give the cast six females, tying the record from Year 17. It may also mean someone's contract wasn't renewed, I don't know. Not to stir the pot, but this doesn't bode well for Aidy.

Royce7815

[111]Aug 22, 2013
    • level: 3

HelloStuart wrote:

Deadline.com seems to think there will be three or four new hires, all from UCB, two from NYC and two from LA:

http://www.deadline.com/2013/08/john-milhiser-noel-wells-eyed-as-new-saturday-night-live-cast-additions/

If Noel is hired, that would give the cast six females, tying the record from Year 17. It may also mean someone's contract wasn't renewed, I don't know. Not to stir the pot, but this doesn't bode well for Aidy.

YES FINALLY!! i have seriously been checking google news and this forum daily, for new cast speculation. I have to say i do agree with you Stu about Aidy, it just didn't seem like that had alot for her. Also if they hire Noel it would be kinda funny considering one of her sketch ideas she has done on her channel has already been done by the show (Bein' Quirky with Zooey Deschanel).

Edited on 08/22/2013 9:23pm

JustinRAn

[112]Aug 23, 2013
    Royce7815 wrote:

HelloStuart wrote:

YES FINALLY!! i have seriously been checking google news and this forum daily, for new cast speculation. I have to say i do agree with you Stu about Aidy, it just didn't seem like that had alot for her. Also if they hire Noel it would be kinda funny considering one of her sketch ideas she has done on her channel has already been done by the show (Bein' Quirky with Zooey Deschanel).

Nasim was cast in Mulaney's show. Just saying.

At the risk of sounding sexist, Should there ever be more than 4 woman in the cast? It's not like the writers are able to give ladies equal screen time as it is?

HelloStuart

[113]Aug 23, 2013

The cast just keeps growing:

http://screencrush.com/snl-season-39-michael-patrick-obrien/

I thought this move was going to happen three years ago. Mooney, Robbo, and POB will bring the weird, that's for sure.

HelloStuart

[114]Aug 23, 2013
    Your projected Year 39 cast. Five new hires is the highest total of rookies since Year 21.

REPERTORY
    Vanessa Bayer
    Taran Killam
    Kate McKinnon
    Seth Meyers
    Bobby Moynihan
    Nasim Pedrad
    Jay Pharoah
    Cecily Strong
    Kenan Thompson

FEATURING
    Beck Bennett
    Aidy Bryant
    John Milhiser
    Kyle Mooney
    Michael P. O'Brien
    Tim Robinson
    Noël Wells

JM5000

[116]Aug 24, 2013
    • level: 7

It seems like they're letting in quite a few Youtubers...I don't know much about any of them, but it's still interesting...

Still, I recognize Mooney from an installment of Epic Rap Battles of History (Batman vs. Sherlock Holmes), where he played Watson.

I wonder what internet celebrities might make it onto the show in the future...

Ruckhappy

[117]Aug 24, 2013

All of these "reports" stem from one Deadline report, and that woman also reported that she "heard" that Claire Mulaney had been hired as a writer, even though that's been known for weeks. I don't believe it, not yet. I don't believe that Lorne is going to fire Aidy after just one season, not after the "fat girl" firing of Casey Wilson.

Ruckhappy

[118]Aug 24, 2013

JustinRAn wrote:
    At the risk of sounding sexist, Should there ever be more than 4 woman in the cast? It's not like the writers are able to give ladies equal screen time as it is?

You do sound sexist and in this day and age there should always be around a 50/50 gender mix in the cast, reflecting current roles in society and the gender mix of the best SNL-style comedy talent available. As to the writers, this particular group has shown themselves to have serious problems writing for SNL in general, not just for the women in the cast. Clear out the dead wood and hire more women writers.

Next topic?

Woodstein

[119]Aug 25, 2013
    • level: 14
    Anyone else think that Michael Patrick O'Brien being moved up to the cast indicates that he'll be replacing Seth as Weekend Update anchor? I was figuring that they would get someone from the writing staff to be anchor.

Ruckhappy

[120]Aug 25, 2013

If O'Brien is promoted to the cast, it's likely so that he can anchor Update. But that's assuming they don't do the more predictable and smart move of continuing the head writer/castmember combo with Colin Jost and someone from the repertory company, likely Nasim or Vanessa.

JustinRAn

[121]Aug 25, 2013
    Ruckhappy wrote:

JustinRAn wrote:

You do sound sexist and in this day and age there should always be around a 50/50 gender mix in the cast, reflecting current roles in society and the gender mix of the best SNL-style comedy talent available. As to the writers, this particular group has shown themselves to have serious problems writing for SNL in general, not just for the women in the cast. Clear out the dead wood and hire more women writers.

Next topic?

Well since you stated that SNL Shouldn't have more than 3-4 white guys in the cast, SNL also shouldn't have more than 3-4 women in the cast. But I'm sexist and your not?

And when has SNL or ANY sketch comedy show had an equal number of men to women? The most recent would be Season 14 of MADtv which is something SNL should never try to be.

Ruckhappy

[122]Aug 26, 2013

JustinRAn wrote:
    Well since you stated that SNL Shouldn't have more than 3-4 white guys in the cast, SNL also shouldn't have more than 3-4 women in the cast...

When did I say that?

JustinRAn

[123]Aug 26, 2013
    On July 25th, 2013

http://www.tv.com/shows/saturday-night-live/forums/general-news-and-media-mentions-455-1019700/?page=101